Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims Keep Disappearing!

ยซ13
I was under the impression that there is no story progression in this game, but every time I leave one of my families to play another, by the time I get back to them my character's boyfriend has disappeared. I have him in my gallery and keep replacing him, but he always disappears. Today I noticed the husband of another of my Sims has disappeared also. Anyone else have this problem? Also, have we figured out a way to make the females have the same last names as their husband's yet? That's driving me nuts!

Comments

• Options
    ABrndNwNrABrndNwNr Posts: 98 Member
    No one else has this problem?
  • Options
    SimGuruLyndsaySimGuruLyndsay Posts: 339 SimGuru
    I don't know what could be happening. when you say he dissappears do you mean he's no longer in the house? Did he age up? Does he vanish from your relationship panel?
  • Options
    sweetest85sweetest85 Posts: 194 Member
    I just experienced this as well. I started out with a guy and imported a woman from the gallery and they got married and had two sons. I went off and played another family and came back and she was gone. She was not deceased, she wasn't even in the relationship panel anymore. I totally wasn't done growing their family yet :/
    XiVt5EK.jpgXiVtm4.png

• Options
    They completely leave the skewer? Could you go to Manage Worlds and click the "Household Mangement" button and make sure they haven't ended up homeless somehow?
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    There are no words...That has to be driving you both crazy not knowing why its happening.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @SimGuruLyndsay She isn't listed in household management at all, I just checked.
    XiVt5EK.jpgXiVtm4.png

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    My guess its a nasty bug. I suspect there will be more to had before weeks out. You may want to ask in the tech. forum.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having this happen!! We'll try to look into it. If there are any other steps or things you think might help us track it down please keep posting.
  • Options
    I looked on the gallery to see if she was still available for download and she is.. thought maybe something had happened if she was deleted on gallery by the person that created her or something.
    XiVt5EK.jpgXiVtm4.png

• Options
    ABrndNwNrABrndNwNr Posts: 98 Member
    Sounds like your problem is exactly the same as mine. @simgurulyndsay My character is in my gallery library. I've replaced him 3 times now and he keeps disappearing. Everytime I bring him back, he recognizes that his son is his son, but that's it. His relationship with his son's mother is completely reset. I've given up replacing him, but it totally messed up the storyline I was trying to play out. It's very frustrating!
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited September 2014
    @simgurulyndsay Adding to this. I moved a sim and her husband and daughter out of my current household to another house in town. After a few sim days I was going to invite them over. But when i clicked on the relationship panel The sim family I moved out of the house was no where to be found. They were relatives. So i went into manage world and click on they're home.

The game wouldn't even load the household. it only zoomed in but stayed in map view. I clicked on "evict family" and the portrait was blank. So I am a little bit confused. When I reload the game, the dark bold sims plump bob is over they're house indicating them being a playable hosuehold but when i click on it. no one is there.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Weren't their reports in the Tech Support thread about sims going off to work and never coming back too? And not just the Secret Agents! One more to add to EA's 'to do' list.. :-0
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    Cindyjo5477Cindyjo5477 Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2014
    @SimGuruLyndsay My Sims also disappear when I play another lot and come back. I have no clue where they went. Also, my sims kids are always showing up as a roommate or a sister/brother to their parents..
    Post edited by Cindyjo5477 on
    Come check out my new Let's Plays

YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC8D-qr5zK1MQehcwlCE06ew
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    @SimGuruLindsay, there are several threads on this topic and I've been tracking them. I think there are multiple issues here, but I'm convinced that most of these disappearances are related to saving/loading practices.

Where to start ...

Okay, first, people who follow these steps do not seem to be having the problem: Use "Save As" rather than "Save"; always "Save As" and then exit (never "save and exit"); always Save As on the family's home lot (not a public venue); always load the game from the saved games accessed by clicking the icon at the top right of the loading screen (rather than clicking the "play" arrow at the lower right); always choose the most recently saved game (unless you want to go back to a point in time); NEVER load the autosave.

- No one understands how autosave works. When you looked at the saved games to load, there is always only one autosave, and it is time-stamped at the time of your last save/save as. There are not multiple autosaves accessible where you could go back in time to a certain restore point (although there appear to be multiple autosaves in the Saves folder). When I've experimented with loading the autosave, it's never quite where I left off; things are slightly different. I haven't lost any Sims. However, I notice when I experiment with loading from the play button, it seems like it is loading the autosave and not my last "Save as" game.

- I think some people who use Save As don't understand how that works. The Save As always associates the name of the family you were playing with the save. I think that some people, when they've played another family and want to go back to the original family, are going back to old saves associated with that name. There would be an understandable disappearance of Sims/progress in cases like that.

- I'm not sure everyone understands the aging settings. For whatever reason, I know when I first got the game I did not see the "Active household only" aging function. I just saw "no aging" or "aging for played families." When using the latter, any family you've played, even for a minute, keeps aging. Sims grow old and die. I know, theoretically they should still be in the relationship panel, unless the game is releasing their spirits to the other world by default.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I follow the saving/loading procedure I outlined. I have aging set to the Active Family Only, and unplayed Sims set on no aging. I'm playing multiple families and haven't lost anyone (yet, knock wood).

I may be totally off base, but I'm hoping that maybe it will give a direction to look.

• Options
    ddgangel2009ddgangel2009 Posts: 86 Member
    I've been following all this and still my families disappeared. I rotate round a few families each has their own save file and yes when I come to play another I load the newest one first. It all started with the Goths. Alexander had moved in with my legacy family cause I was curious to see what his kids would look like and Cassandra had a husband at the house she shared with mum and dad. They had a child.

Anyway everything was running fine till I moved one of the legacy children, now a young adult out the family home and moved his girlfriend who is Olivia from the Spencer-Kim-Lewis household in with him. When Thursday at around 2am roles around no matter which lot I'm on the Goths and half the legacy family disappear. Okay if I'm on my legacy lot only the people I move out disappear. My saves are before this happens but no matter how I try the game just wants to delete these people. Like @Cindyjo5477 when I hover over the Goth house no family show yet there is a plum there to say sims should be in there. I've tried going to manage households and even editing their household but none show up. When you click to enter the house the game just zones in on the house but loads nothing.

I really hope this can be fixed even if it means I have to start over. at the moment I don't feel like starting over knowing this could happen again.
    newsigblos_zpsdc8e450f.jpg
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    When Thursday at around 2am roles around no matter which lot I'm on the Goths and half the legacy family disappear. Okay if I'm on my legacy lot only the people I move out disappear. My saves are before this happens but no matter how I try the game just wants to delete these people.

Now that's just plain creepy and disturbing :-/ My condolences! Every Thursday at 2 a.m. ........ wow.

I saw in another thread some speculation that the Goths were a common element in the disappearances. I haven't played them yet. Hmm. Maybe I should try and see what happens. I can always go back and not play them if they turn out to be the problem.

• Options
    slugbuggslugbugg Posts: 80 Member
    Hi:
    The sim I have I've played from day one when I got the game disappeared. I thought maybe I had lost her or maybe had a corrupted file or something but then I had also switched over to Oasis to look around but when I switched back she was gone. I tried a lot of things like restarting the game and several others then I remembered I had read in one of the other posts to use reset sim like you could in TS3 and it worked for me.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I am not having a problem with played households disappearing but the premades I did manage world and added kids, spouses through CAS and most of them disappeared, out of world or in houses. I made a group of males in a household but they were in out of world until I built a lot for them and while playing my single girl she did get to know one of them and next time I opened the game the household was gone from out of world, replaced with a lot of elderly women. I really didn't want my flirty sim causing break ups of the married males in the game but looks like that is what the game wants. I can't keep a household of singles for my sims to meet and marry.

I am not an age bigot but I would like to have them around longer than a sim week after marriage. :) All the bars are like retirement homes. How do out of world and unplayed households managed by the game and how do I take it over?
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    The same thing happens to me! They disappear! When i go to manage worlds and hover over their house nothing shows up! usually it would show a picture and the family name but nothing shows up! and when I try to click the play button, it just zooms in on the house and it freezes! IDK WHY! and then when i try to go to manage families and try to edit the family, it takes me to create a new family! the game deleted my family from the game.
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    @MsPhy I'm starting to think it may be a manage world issue. Just having a test on my legacy family without moving their son out and so far all families seem intact. Played past Thursday 2am and still have all families in the game. Going to try moving him out via manage words now but I have a feeling I may lose the families again. If this is the case then I hope it's fixed asap. I'd also like to know if others have noticed this when moving family members out of the family home.
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    dissappears

*cough* disappears *cough*
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy Posts: 12 New Member
    I think our sims are being abducted...........look out for the ransom notes in the mail lol
  • Options
    Susim62Susim62 Posts: 225 Member
    I've been following all this and still my families disappeared. I rotate round a few families each has their own save file and yes when I come to play another I load the newest one first. It all started with the Goths. Alexander had moved in with my legacy family cause I was curious to see what his kids would look like and Cassandra had a husband at the house she shared with mum and dad. They had a child.

Anyway everything was running fine till I moved one of the legacy children, now a young adult out the family home and moved his girlfriend who is Olivia from the Spencer-Kim-Lewis household in with him. When Thursday at around 2am roles around no matter which lot I'm on the Goths and half the legacy family disappear. Okay if I'm on my legacy lot only the people I move out disappear. My saves are before this happens but no matter how I try the game just wants to delete these people. Like @Cindyjo5477 when I hover over the Goth house no family show yet there is a plum there to say sims should be in there. I've tried going to manage households and even editing their household but none show up. When you click to enter the house the game just zones in on the house but loads nothing.

I really hope this can be fixed even if it means I have to start over. at the moment I don't feel like starting over knowing this could happen again.

Crinrict noticed the same thing in her game. In a disappearing sims thread at modthesims she said her sims were disappearing Thursday nights too.

• Options
    Yeah I've seen that. I thought I'd cracked it earlier tonight but nope come Thursday at 2am a whole sim week since I moved the family member out the house and was playing him I lost all my main legacy family and again the whole Goth family. I really hope this gets fixed soon. I don't dare sit down and make a new game for this to just happen again.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    After seeing Shimrod's mod to stop creating NPCs for service roles everyday, I can understand what happens with "out of world" families. I think I know why the disappearing acts keep happening. Going into the game and see if I can manage the town better again.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.