Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW edit in game crashes

I'm trying my hand at building a world, but I'm having problems with edit in game. The launcher pops up, the loading screen pops up, but then the Sims crashes. Has anybody else had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    yea its doing that to me as well. ive had to install a copy of my empty world to the game to build things there, and then add them to the bin to try to place in CAW. its extremely frustrating and slow going
  • Options
    luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    @Zeri that's what I'm afraid of! I'm planning out what I want where, building it in the game, and then going back and (hopefully) putting it in later. It's taking forever.
  • Options
    christinebremnerchristinebremner Posts: 3,513 Member
    Hi. :)

Have you clicked on the plumbob icon in CAW? Thats the Edit in game and thats where you use it. There should be no launcher at all.
    FEvr1sR.gif
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    There's a problem with the launcher opening instead of EIG when you have a certain copy of the base game. Check out this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/691109/solved-cannot-open-edit-in-game-not-a-version-mismatch-issue/p1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @christinebremner and @auntielynds - The launcher isn't supposed to open AT ALL when you EIG?? That's news to me!
  • Options
    No, it's not. Did you check to see which version of the base game you have? I believe the problem version is the one that says "The Sims Social" on it.
  • Options
    @auntielynds - I'm opening my Origin now. Is the base game the one that will say The Sims Social?
  • Options
    Yes, there's a pic of it in that thread I linked...............

Here it is
    9b8.png
  • Options
    On that thread I linked to, on the second page faytheful had the same problem you do. Aminovas walked her through several different things to try. I'd start there and see if you can't find a solution.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Okay, I'm looking at faytheful's issues and seeing if her solution will work for me.

I tried the Large Address Aware technique based on another thread on the forums, and so far it's just making everything run slower. I'm going to try EIG in a minute.

ETA: Sims still crashed even with Large Address Aware enabled as per this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/535176.page#top

My launcher isn't opening, so that's good. Aside from that I'm having the same issue as the OP in that thread above.

My crash log anaylzer says "max memory used - try to reduce memory usage by lowering settings", but I don't know if that's accurate for my problem.
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I had this problem and the only way I could get it to EIG was to remove my downloads folder and my DCCache folders and then it will run. Something about to many items installed makes it crash. The downside was I couldn't use any store items in my world. You can try and see how many items it will let you have installed before it crashes, I never got around to that myself.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    @Pallypoo - I was afraid of that. I don't have ANY builds in my world right now. I have empty lots and some roads and sidewalks. No buildings at all. I was going to use builds I'd made in the past and put them on the lots (instead of building new ones from scratch) but of course there's Store items in those builds. I guess I could place them and when I exported the world they would show up in the build, right?
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    You could try it. I can't remember if I did. I think it might go ahead and replace the missing objects when you save it. I just ended up making a store version of some lots and uploading them separate.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    If the DCCache folder contains all my store items, how come I have a ton more stuff listed in my DCBackup folder?

I also don't have a ccmerged package file in my DCBackup folder. I don't know if that's a necessity.
  • Options
    The ccmerged holds the information for any of the stores premium content. If it's gone, those premium content objects won't be in your game. when I was building worlds, I had a separate sims 3 folder for each world I was working on, and then a complete sims 3 folder. Each one had only the the store content installed that I wanted for that World. I just left them in the Electronics Arts folder, and renamed them ie, Spooky Town The Sims 3, WWW The Sims 3, Complete The Sims 3. Now, as I discovered, this can get rather confusing, so I would also make like a readme with notepad with the title of whichever project it was and place it inside the folder.

When I make a new Sims 3 Folder for a world, I copy and pate the highlighted stuff in the main/complete folder to the new folder, the way all your recolored cas patterns, game options, premade sims, and mods are in your new folder. If you have tons of .package CC, you should take that out of the copied Mods folder.

cGHgUSk.jpg

Also, in the DCCache folder, before you open Caw, delete the TMP files. They regenerate anytime you install something, and just doubles the files in you DCCache.

EKth5HF.jpg
  • Options
    Pugslover4Pugslover4 Posts: 2,849 Member
    The ccmerged holds the information for any of the stores premium content. If it's gone, those premium content objects won't be in your game. when I was building worlds, I had a separate sims 3 folder for each world I was working on, and then a complete sims 3 folder. Each one had only the the store content installed that I wanted for that World. I just left them in the Electronics Arts folder, and renamed them ie, Spooky Town The Sims 3, WWW The Sims 3, Complete The Sims 3. Now, as I discovered, this can get rather confusing, so I would also make like a readme with notepad with the title of whichever project it was and place it inside the folder.

When I make a new Sims 3 Folder for a world, I copy and pate the highlighted stuff in the main/complete folder to the new folder, the way all your recolored cas patterns, game options, premade sims, and mods are in your new folder. If you have tons of .package CC, you should take that out of the copied Mods folder.

cGHgUSk.jpg

Also, in the DCCache folder, before you open Caw, delete the TMP files. They regenerate anytime you install something, and just doubles the files in you DCCache.

EKth5HF.jpg

What if the file mixed up with tmp and ebc. It not in order like your.
    9cac0e69-be99-4238-b1c8-e9ef2f5d7718_zps38d42068.jpg
    I owned the store! Yahoo!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Pugslover4 wrote: »

Hi, @Pugslover4 :)

You see near the top of the folder and picture, where it says - Name | Type | File - Click on Type and it will arrange your files by type (TMP/ebc).
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

You see near the top of the folder and picture, where it says - Name | Type | File - Click on Type and it will arrange your files by type (TMP/ebc).

Okay, thank you. Will it stop crashing when I edit in game?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Okay, thank you. Will it stop crashing when I edit in game?

I don't know. I don't know why it's crashing on you.
  • Options
    I don't know either. I don't have internet. But using my phone right now. Cause I did had internet couple weeks ago and download store items back into my games. It did work the other day. Unless I turned off the CC at game launcher. And turned it back on for later after I upload the world in my game and try it to see if it work.