March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SOLVED: Cannot open Edit in Game, not a version mismatch issue

aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Hey awesome CAW creators, I need some help!

This is a longstanding issue for me, not being able to open Edit In Game. I can export worlds and load them, but this does not allow me to build a world with lots and sims added. I do all the necessary steps that I know to correctly export a world, doing routing etc. When I click Edit in Game, it swiftly opens up the Launcher, and it stays there. It is definitely not a matter of waiting around. I can leave it for hours and hours and nothing happens. I test it out with the simplest world possible and still nothing happens.

I have searched these threads and MTS for solutions and followed all that seemed reasonable, to no avail. Over at MTS there are several others posting the same issue. This problem seems like it is often due to a version mismatch, and maybe that is true for some, but I have all EPs. I just did a clean reinstall from base game up through IP, with a fresh install of the newly updated CAW, fresh reinstall of Origin, thoroughly cleaning out my registry before reinstalling and working with a fresh Documents/EA/TheSims3 folder... so mods, CC, store content, caches, these aren't the issues. The default.ini file of CAW and TS3 are both CompatVersion = 22, WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 19, with the game versions 1.18.46.022037 and 1.55.4.022017 respectively. That looks correct to me. Should they be different?

The batch file by zaide_chris at MTS seems like just the kind of answer I need, but it just does the same thing... I drag my test.world file to the batch file, drop it, and the launcher pops up and stays there. Not a solution. Unless I am using it incorrectly?

I am totally at a loss as to how to fix this. I really want to be able to build a world working between Edit In Game and CAW. Are there any other work arounds? At the very least, is there a way to take modifications done in game and somehow export them to a world file for CAW?

I would be HUGELY grateful for any solution or work around for this! And so would a bunch of other people who are in the same boat. Any more ideas? Should I try reinstalling AGAIN?

Edit to Add Solution:
If you are getting stuck at the Origin login, try changing your Origin preferences. You may need to reinstall Origin to do this.
If you are getting stuck at the Launcher, you may have the "Go Social" (post-Showtime) version of the Base Game. This, so far as my experience goes and others having this problem, does not allow you to use Edit in Game. The only solution I have found was to get a second license of the base game predating Showtime. This is the cover art that does not say "Go Social" on it. You can Direct Download it from Origin, just like the "Go Social" version. Edit in Game should work with a download of the original (non-"Go Social") base game.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited June 2013
    I am sorry you are having this problem. <=( I know this sounds silly, but I have seen this work for other folks in the same boat. They say that minimizing EIG while it is loading has done the trick for them when nothing else works. Have you tried that?
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited June 2013
    I wish I could help you Aminovas, but I'm completely at a loss. There was a thread several months ago on MTS where the OP concluded something, but I can't remember what. Let me look for that thread..................

This is all I can find right now.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=499834

Does Origins open at the same time like tahitigamers?
  • aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited June 2013
    tlc10175, no possible solution could be too silly! Tell me to say a mantra while clicking EIG and I will do it. I will try minimizing...

Auntielynds, thanks for checking in... I have looked through MTS as much as I can but I am really new on these forums so I just don't have the history to know what's been done!
    edited June 2013
    Opps, I edited my above post while you were replying. :)
    edited June 2013
    Got the link :)
    Yes, that is exactly my issue. Origin opens, then the launcher. I cannot bypass origin.

I will check the patches... I just installed each EP one by one and patched each in turn, so I'm guessing that isn't the issue.

No luck with the minimizing trick... I've tried running the zaide_chris batch file with CAW closed, too.
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well darn! Only other thing I can think of is EIG is extremely difficult to run with store content installed so a lot of us remove our DCCache folder before running EIG. I keep two DCCache folders. One for my game, one for CAW. But you said you are vanilla right now with no store content / caches I think?

I am sorry I will cross my fingers for you!

Edit to say depending on which world I am working on I might have a 'little store content installed if it fits the theme of my world. I.e. I have a few store sets and Sunlit Tides installed for my island world I'm working on. So that world in itself has its own DCCache folder. x.X
    edited June 2013
    tlc10175, thanks, that is definitely helpful for CAW to work smoothly, but I'm working from a clean install, including my documents/ElectronicArts folder. I've tried a factory reset on this many times, so a brand new, totally clean no-CC, no-store content folder does not help.

I have found one possibility following Auntielynd's MTS link... when I look at my patches, all of the EPs installed versions vs. update version match, except for the Base game. The base game says installed version 1.55.4.022017 while the updated version is 1.55.4.022007. Is this correct? It didn't come up with any option to further update the base game. superpatch?

clutching at straws here...
    edited June 2013
    When generations first came out, caw would open the launcher instead of EIG. There was a discussion and trouble shooting somewhere, I'm thinking NRass, but SimAd discovered that Caw was looking for the wrong .exe to open. That's when Zaide-chris made the batch file. The batch file no longer works for me either, so I'm thinking it just needs to be updated? I don't even know what a batch file is. :oops:

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was some discussion on this forum and I think I have it bookmarked....................... http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/bookmarks/list/428783.page

Ooo.....look at this thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/394572.page#5567633

Do you have the TS3W.exe?

edited June 2013
    Ooh, cool, a thread I haven't seen :)

OK, this is all making me a bit dizzy at the moment but I'm going to plow through...

Yes, I'm sure that the batch file just needs updating... I am such a rube when it comes to computers but I was walked through making a batch file once and it was very simple... I'll take a look at it. And I've never messed with DEP, I'll look at that, too, and report back. So much to learn...

btw, Auntielynds I've never said hello but I've used your tutorials and resources to learn about CAW over the past few months and think you are a real treasure, so thank you so much for helping me here :)

Edit to add: OK, I've looked through my game files. I have TS3W.exe, and I've changed my DEP setting per your tutorial. I've looked at the batch file and while I don't understand it fully it is pretty straightforward in that it is pointing to the path TS3W.exe, so it should still be good. This is a tough one...
    edited June 2013
    You're welcome :D

I wonder what would happen if you directed the batch file to open up the TS3EP10.exe in the Island Paradise folder in your programs?

How do you open the batch file and look at it, or edit it? I might have to google that. :D
    edited June 2013
    Great idea!
    It is easy to work with batch files if I'm remembering correctly... you can just open it up in a text editor, then you save it with the extension .bat. Edit: You can right-click on a .bat file to edit it

Here is a tutorial:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Batch-File

Meanwhile, I am attempting to make available more storage space on my hard drive to free up more room for all these programs to work. Again, clutching at straws...

I just had a moment of clarity, rereading the MTS thread you linked to. Here I am quoting Tahitigamer:

"I'm at a loss here. My base game was purchased in December as a bundle with Seasons. I'm wondering whether the new base game bundles have some sort of new DRM on them. I know I can't install the games (I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice) without installing Origin. It's not an option for me like it is for most people. Origin is installed first without asking me whether I want it or not. If I uninstall Origin and try to run the game I get an error that says: "Origin is required to play this game"."

This is my situation. I purchased Sims late last year as a bundle with Seasons from Amazon.

I really hope there is a way around this! We latecomers want to play, too!
    edited June 2013
    Without really knowing how to safely edit that batch file, I've been trying to simply open TS3 circumventing the launcher, and I can't find any way to do that. None of the game .exe files will directly open the game for me... all directly go to the launcher.

OK, I am totally convinced this is the issue: It is because I have a post-Nov 2012 version of the based game. I cannot bypass the launcher, and from a quick search I'm finding that others are having this issue, too and the common denominator is this.

Time to hit up my neighbors or ebay for 2009 version...

Thanks everyone, I'll report back in...
  • alyssamonson98alyssamonson98 Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I am having the same problem, I haven't been able to edit in game for quite a while! :( I had to buy a new disk early this year, (my older one wouldn't reinstall for some odd reason..) and I haven't been able to edit in game. Please let me know if you find a working solution!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2013
    If you have any digital versions of the games you have to have Origin running in order to use them and yes the digital versions run Securom. Read the small print where they list the games over at Origin to buy and for digital downloads it tells you this. That is why I will never go digital as long as Securom exists at EA.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited June 2013
    I edited the batch file to open with the EP10 TSRW.exe. It works for me. If I get verification it works for the people having the issue, I'll make ones for the rest of the EP's.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ss91h8355hrgqf/EIG_EP10.bat
    edited June 2013
    auntielynds, well done on the edit, I hope that solves it for some folks... I'm still just getting the launcher.

I'm certain it's the Securom issue as Writin_Reg has called it, but... I'm confused... surely CAW EIG is working for some people who do digital downloads, right? Is it just the BASE GAME post-November 2012 that seems to be causing the "can't bypass the launcher" issue? If I get a 2010 disc version of the base game and install it, and then install all my digital downloads, will that still give me the same problem?

I would really love to hear from those whom EIG is working who do digital downloads... Do any of the digital download base games work for EIG? Or was your base game a disc and later expansion packs digital? Do you still have to run from a disc or does a recent EP digital download override the need for a disc? I don't have a dvd drive in my computer, so I'm going to have to find an external one to borrow if I'm going to install this, but I won't be able to run from a disc for more than a day or so of setting this up. :hunf: This is al so confusing.

Thanks all of you hearing me out on this...

edited June 2013
    I have the base game on disk, but once I registered it with Origins, I have it on digital download, which I've used several times when I've done a complete uninstall/reinstall. Have you tried that? Registering it at Origins, and installing the DD?
    edited June 2013
    You are so patient, thanks... I originally was playing on mac and so I had an Amazon digital download base game with seasons. It required me to register with Origin. When I switched to PC because I was registered with Origin I was able to download from a registered base game. At some point with some Origin deal I required a second license to the base game. I now have all EPs registered with Origin and I did digital downloads of all of them for every installation I've ever done (three clean installs in the past six months). So I have two versions of the base game that show up in my Origin My Games, both with white packaging, but one that says "Go Social - All New Ways to Connect and Play with Life". This last time around I definitely reinstalled from the DD of the one that says "Go Social". Any chance you could tell me which of these two is your base game? I'm really encouraged to hear that this works for you entirely from digital download.
    edited June 2013
    This is the one I have, but wouldn't you think they'd all be the same?

iQGtTsq.jpg
    edited June 2013
    just what I suspected!

But, yes, you would think they are all the same.

Oh man... this means I'm probably going to reinstall all over again to test this theory :-(

One other question: is there any correlation between those who superpatch and those who patch incrementally regarding being able to bypass the launcher?
    edited June 2013
    Not that I've heard of. I always do the super patch because half the time my launcher will not prompt for a patch.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi :)

I would think you'd only have to uninstall that base game and install another. 1)I remember reading that's the one to uninstall since it's the one patched now, 2)It's the one you're wanting to remove with the social type.
    -Especially if all your other games are up to dates (the ones before EA went BG only update).

At least it would be easier to un/install one first. :XD:

Sorry I can't help, all my games are on disk.

Good luck. Hope you figure it out! :thumbup:
    edited June 2013
    Rflong7: ARGH I JUST DELETED EVERYTHING !!! hahaha
    I just was searching for if it was ok to do it that way. Thanks so much for letting me know, I just had bad timing :?

per Auntielynds... I was thinking Superpatch just because I've been doing incremental to no avail... superpatch it is... here goes the reinstall...!!
    edited June 2013
    SOLVED!

I can't believe it worked:
    The two box-cover versions both available on Origin are NOT the same. The difference was apparent from the first installation... the version of the base game that says "Go Social - All New Ways to Connect and Play with Life" DOES NOT let you bypass the launcher but the other one does.

I just installed the base game, ran the superpatch, and was able to, for the first time ever, bypass the launcher. I then installed the latest CAW, made a test world, saved it, clicked Edit In Game, and it worked like a dream.

This would also be a solution for a lot of other issues where people need to bypass the launcher and can't because they are using a version of the Sims 3 base game that is different from the original for whatever reason (Pre-Origin?) but a version that works IS available on Origin.. the answer would be to get a license key for an earlier version of the Sims 3 and register that with Origin so you can download the version that works. This is bad news in that it means some people would have to purchase the base game twice... not good.

In summary:

This version of the Sims 3 Base Game, which says "Go Social - All New Ways to Connect and Play with Life" at the top of the box art, available on Origin, does not permit you to bypass the launcher, and thus also renders Edit In Game unusable:
    9b8.png

This version associated with non-bundled and/or earlier versions of the Sims 3 does permit you to bypass the launcher and thus use Edit in Game:
    2dwz.png

To get it to work you have to uninstall the "Go Social" version of the base game, paying attention to clearing the registry, and reinstalling the other version. Both are available for Direct Download on Origin, you just need the correct license key.

This worked for me, I hope it can help out some others too!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    edited June 2013
    Awesome job! I'm sure lots of people will be happy. :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top