Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Exploring the Sims: Occult Life States and Their Future Super Thread

Maxwell_CollinsMaxwell_Collins Posts: 143 Member
edited December 2014 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Okay, after much debate, I'm doing a little experiment. Let's see how this turns out...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to start a mini series here on the forums (not really, I just need topics), talking about many of the aspects from past Sims games, and how they can be improved upon or added into the latest installment: The Sims 4. Today: Occult Life States.

There is no denying that there won't be Occult Life States in the future of the Sims 4. The problem is which ones, and what can we expect from Maxis and their creative minds. To answer this question, we need to examine what we have seen so far:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Ghosts: To begin, let's start with the obvious. Ghosts have been a staple in the Sims franchise since the first game, and they will remain that way for games to come. Ghost Sims are created when a living Sim dies, whether by fire or old age. Their hue changes depending on how the original Sim died. Considering that Maxis is marketing the game with "weirder stories" in mind, including interesting ways to die, the amount of variants are bound to increase. In the Sims 3, there were several variants of Ghosts, which I will list here:

-Old Age: The most generic of ghosts, these Ghosts are usually the most common, having a misty white form.
-Drowning: Trap a Sim in a pool with no way out, and they will eventually drown. These Sims are deep blue, just like the water that killed them.
-Electrocution: Highly unlikely in real life, death by Electrocution creates a ghost that is a bright yellow hue.
-Fire: Another common death, death by fire can be cause by a whole mess of incidents, creating a Ghost with a fiery glow.
-Starvation: Unlikely unless you intend your Sim to die this way, death by Starvation produces a Ghost that has a pinkish, cloudy skin
-Mummy's Curse: Got cursed by a Mummy? When your Sim dies by a Mummy's Curse, the resulting Ghost is golden with a clouded skin and a dark haze surrounding it.
-Meteor: Wait. What? Sims can die by Meteor? Well, in "Ambitions", yes. This produces a Ghost with a dark orange skin and a fiery touch.
-Thirst: Thirsty? If your Sim, as a Vampire, didn't satisfy its thirst need, letting it drop, the Vampire can die and produce a Ghost that is a deep crimson. Sometimes, if you listen closely, you can hear... a heartbeat...
-Watery Grave: Magicians can die too! If your Sim dies inside the Box of Danger in "Showtime" performing the Watery Grave Trick, producing a dark blue Ghost.
-Buried Alive: Yet another Magician death, if your Sim dies while performing the Buried Alive Trick, the resulting Ghost is transparent with tints of black. Man, Magicians always seem to die in glorious ways...
-Jelly Bean: I have no idea where this one came from. Don't ask me why it exist, because I got no clue either...
-Haunting Curse: Not really caused by death, these malevolent spirits strike fear into the heart of your Sims, glowing in a Neon green, with haunting images of skulls, tomestones and crescent moons circling the monster.
-Transmutation: I don't have much of an idea either.
-Freezing: Death by Frost, you say? Having your Sim freeze to death creates a Ghost that carries a light blue skin, and always seems to complain about the temperature.
-Blunt Force Trauma: A real danger in the real world, this type of death creates a Ghost that is bright magenta and covered with feathers (not really, but you get what I mean).
-Ranting: I know what you're thinking. "What?" Yes, this is a way to die. This produces a Ghost that can't seem to stop ranting about how miserable University Life is. He appears green with symbols that are used in shouting.
-Shark Attack: Before I get to this, I want to make a clear point: Sharks don't kill people unless they are desperate for food. Sure, they'll nibble a bit, but they won't actually kill you. Usually, Shark related deaths happen when the victim bleeds out. In the Sims, they will try to kill your Sim. And when they do, it produces a Ghost that is bright purple and flows with water from within.
-Dehydration: Mermaid? Don't try to stay moist? Well done! You just created a Ghost that is a golden yellow hue. You Monster...
-Jetpack Crash: Jetpacks, anyone? CRASH! Bye-bye Simmy! Hello, Ghost with red skin, orange hair, and lava-like textures! Not even the future is safe...
-Time Anomaly: Traveling back and forth between the past and the future? Dying by Time Anomaly results in a Ghost that has orange skin and nearly nonexistent limbs.

Phew! What a list! *sigh* This is going to be a long write-up...
Anyways, there are supposedly going to be even more ways to die in the Sims 4. They already announced the "death by laughter" thing when they first came out with the concept. And you thought "death by ranting" was weird enough... (I was surprised)

*Aliens: Alright, the occult-non-occult-sim-from-space just got crazy! Aliens first appeared in Sims 2 base game as a semi-playable unlockable Sim, and have been part of the series ever since. Their most recent appearance was in the Sims 3 in the "Seasons" expansion pack, sporting a slightly more updated model and more unique powers. Well... unique in a since that they are vastly more intelligent.
I'll say it right now: I was disappointed. The Aliens in the Sims series are the cliched Greys of popular culture, and, I'll tell you this right now, that really sucks. There are ways around this, though, if Maxis is willing to experiment.
In modern culture, Aliens have taken many different forms, from benevolent creature bent on saving the world from themselves or others, or monsters that want nothing more than the destruction of the human race. The latter seems to be the most common... Seriously, guys, it has been overdone to the point where it rots in a barrel. Also, the most popular stories of our generation have portrayed Aliens in so many different ways, even showing us as the aliens in Avatar and Planet 51 (has anyone seen the latter?).
As for a list of things that can be changed, I looked for some inspiration for what can be added to the game. Here are some of my results:

-A Reptilian Race: usually seen as malevolent in the eyes of Science Fiction writers, the image could be vastly different if Maxis is willing to experiment. I usually look to the Reptilians from modern day conspiracy theories, but my view on the so-called-"malevolent" aliens is quite different. If aliens wanted to destroy us, they would have already done it. I think that the "Reptilians" are really just here to learn, or, perhaps, make us stronger to face a threat to Earth in the distant future. We really don't know.
As for how this race could function within a future installment in the franchise (or in a future expansion in the Sims 4 adding Aliens), I thought of them as they are depicted in the theories: Shapeshifters, and with some extra strength and expertise. Nothing special, but something that sets them apart.
-An Ungulate Race: Basically a Horse-like race. This was a spur-of-the-moment addition to the list, thanks to my apparent love of the Kymellians from the Marvel Universe. Benevolent? Sure. Worth it? Definitely! Having Aliens based off of Earthly Animals doesn't hurt, especially when it comes to creative minds like those of Maxis. Of course, no offence to the aliens out there who happen to be reading this. :D
-An Avian Race: Birds? Why not?

I won't rant further on the subject. I really don't want to upset anyone with this. Next!

Let's see how this works...
My YouTube Channel
Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page
Lunispellweaver (will try to change it)

Some of my Threads:
8 Expansions I Would Like to See in the Sims 4
DragonSim

Post edited by Maxwell_Collins on

Comments

• Options
    Great, this isn't going to work. Okay, time for plan B. Post it all before everyone start Commenting!
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    *Zombies: First introduced when the Sims: Livin' Large came out, Zombies have been stalking the nights of every Sim game since (with a few exceptions, thankfully). They attack other Sims, and crawl at a snail's pace around the neighborhood throughout the night. In "Supernatural", Zombies primarily spawned during a Full Moon sequence, attacking every Sim they run into. Nothing can protect you from the hungering monster.
    Zombies can't kill you, which is great, and should stay that way, but they were very annoying in that they eat your plants, a reference to PvZ. Really? Just... stop. We've already seen the destruction the Zombie genre has created. Now all we need is a way to kill the darn things...
    Unlike most Life States, the Zombie Life State isn't permanent. In fact, you could even call this a temporary effect. Every Sims game that featured them also had a way to cure them. In the Sims: Supernatural, you can cure just about any life state with a Cure Elixir, or by removing the Moodlet. Seems fair enough, right?
    Here are a few things that can be reviewed for the state:

-One thing that makes a Zombie a Zombie is the lack of a mind. In many Zombie games, they have Horde instincts, meaning they pack together in hundreds of members to overwealm their prey. Maxis should keep this in mind when designing the Zombies in the Sims 4.
    -Zombies, in the Zombie genre, create more zombies whenever they can. Spread the infection. Yet another thing Maxis should keep in mind.
    -Finally, there should be Zombie related deaths. "Weirder Stories"? Death by Zombie!

Nothing else needs to be said... Moving on.

*Toad Sims: While on the subject of Temporary Life States, Let's talk about the Toad Sim. Now, this was interesting to me. In fact, the entire concept was wacky. And I loved it. Turning Sims into a Frog-headed person made me laugh the first time I saw it. I also felt... sorry for the victim, as he had to go through all of it. I also liked the classic "Princess and the Frog" tale attached to it. Now, I haven't seen the latest Disney Version of the tale (except for a few pieces), but I know the gist of the tale.
    There are three ways to cure a Toad Sim. First, you can have a Sim kiss the Frog, as a reference to the tale that inspired the Life State. Second, you can use a Cure Elixir, just like most other Life States. Third, Witches can use a Sunlight Charm to cure a Toad Sim. All three work just as well.
    Now, a few things can be done to spice this up. Let's go over them:

-In the latest version of the "Princess and the Frog" by Disney, the curse of the Prince turned the Princes into a Frog as well. In the Sims 4, if the Toad Sim were ever implemented, there could be a chance that the Sim who kisses the Frog also gets turned into a Toad Sim. Now, that would be absolute gold!
    -I think more can be done to the Toad Sim model. Maybe add a progression, slowly changing the Toad Sim into an actual Toad. It would be Demoralizing to the Sim, and an incentive to get cured as quickly as possible. I'll be a great story element, as well.
    -I liked the Quest from the Sims Medieval that was a literal retelling of the Princess and the Frog, called "The Legend of the Talking Frog". It was a cute quest, and I would love to see a version of the story in the Sims 4. Which reminds me: BRING BACK THE SIMS MEDIEVAL!!!

Overall, this was a cute addition to the Sims 3: Supernatural. I would love to see it again.
    There was also the Tragic Clown introduced at the same time, but this was far more interesting.

I sure hope I don't get spam for this...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Alright, I'm getting to the last thread before the spam complaints. Please don't flag me!

*Vampires: The age old question is always asked when it came to the discussion of Vampires: Team Edward or Team Jacob?
    Okay, that was a cruel joke. I'll just grab my shotgun and stake and go hunting for a bit...
    Phew! Now that the blood is off my hands, let's talk Sims Vampires. I think how the Vampire was handled in the Sims was very well done. The thirst motive was a very interesting concept, as you had to drink the blood of other Sims to maintain your hunger. Also, the extra running speed and weakness to sunlight was a very accurate depiction of the traditional Vampire. The skin tone, fangs, and other features was also a great added touch. However, I'm not about that traditional touch! Let's get wild!

-It is very traditional that Vampires have been depicted as being able to turn into Bats. Or, even more bizarre, having bat-like features. I like going for the bizarre, so the latter sounds nice. Maybe giving a thin membrane between the arms and chest that can stretch out like wings. Or, try something more subtle like having bigger, pointed ears, or some tiny claws. This will come back later. Looking back, I was shocked to see that Vampires could turn into Bats in the Sims 2, but not the Sims 3. What happened?
    -Although it is obvious that Vampires burn up in Sunlight, what if the Sim wasn't a true Vampire. More recently in Vampire depictions, there have been references to beings called Pseudo-Vampires, which are Vampires who have many of the Vampire's Features, as well as some key missing points. One such Pseudo-Vampire is called a Daywalker, a term used by Marvel to explain the hero Blade's condition. Daywalkers are Vampires that can walk in both Daylight and Moonlight without any problems. If this were implemented, it could add some gameplay effects and some other extras. Take it with a grain of salt.
    -I think there should be more emphasis on the CAS creation of a Vampire in the Sims 4. It was extremely annoying that you couldn't make a normal skinned Vampire often seen in Comics. I was also disappointed you couldn't force the mouth open in CAS, so I couldn't see the teeth to see what I changed. There should also be options for different kinds of Vampire teeth, because the shape of a Vampire's fangs can vary vastly.

I won't go much further. Right now, I just need to kill Edward...

*Servo/SimBot/PlumBot: Although not technically an Occult Life state, these mechanical Sims are still considered Life States in the Sims series. For this part, I will focus on all three forms of these machines.
    The Servo is a more futuristic version of the Sims machine. It first appeared in the original Sims game, and reappeared in the Second. However, since the Third game was placed before the original games in the Sims Timeline, the Servo did not appear in this game. However, the SimBot and PlumBots are considered their placeholders. This is the reason I'm counting the Servo, the SimBot, and the PlumBot as the same kind of Sim, as they are all very similar, although all of them have functions that set them apart.
    So, let's go over the Basics:

-Servo: The Servo was the first Robot to feature in the Sims series, as such they are the basis on which the rest of the machines in the Sims franchise are made. They had the best house-maintenance skills, as well. They are also ascetically pleasing, having an interesting model tied to them. Overall, the Servo was an interesting Sim to me.
    -SimBot: The SimBot was designed to be the replacement for the Servo in the Sims 3. However, looking at their overall idea of the SimBot, I was disgusted. The SimBot not only looked horrible, but the Sims themselves think it does themselves. This was definitely a downgrade from the Servos in the Sims 2, specifically.
    -PlumBot: This, by far, was the most interesting of the Robot series of Sims. They are built, not bought like the Servos, and also contained trait chips that can be applied by the Mechanic. The amount of customization to the PlumBot was only rivaled by the Sims themselves, and, overall, this was the most gameplay pleasing Robot I've seen in the Sims.

Now that we covered the three Robot Sims in short detail, it's time to speculate. I think the ideal Sims 4 Robot Sim is... drumroll... the Servo. With some improvements, of course. I loved the concept behind the PlumBot, and I think the Servo can learn from that version of the machine on what it can do. So, let's see if we can combine the two:

-The very idea of the Servo makes sense, as there will be a time where Robots will help with our daily chores while we are too busy with school/work to deal with the problems back home. However, I also like the PlumBots by the fact that they can be customized to look amazing, and the fact that they utilize trait chips. To that extent, I think adding these traits to the Servo will add some needed variety to the Life State.
    -Another thing I enjoyed seeing on the PlumBot was how customizable it was. Create-a-Bot was certainly interesting, and I loved how could create PlumBots that looked like the Enforcers from Elysium (I never saw the movie, and I probably never will), and that... wait, no? Okay, that needs to be changed. I think there should be even more customization when it comes to the looks of the Servo/PlumBot combination. I like how the head of the Servo looked like a camera more than a head, although the Eye was rather off. Maybe that can be one of the options...

That's enough about machines for a little while. Moving on.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere!
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Alright, now something you guys haven't seen yet...

*Werewolf: If there is one thing that needs to be changed in the upcoming Sims 4, it's the Werewolf. However, before I talk about potential changes, we have to go back to the beginning:
    The Werewolf first appeared as a little trait in the original Sims, although the Life State wasn't official until the Sims 2: Pets. In the first appearance, a Sim can become a Werewolf after being bitten another Occult Sim known as the Leader of the Pack, which was a unique Wolf Sim that can be encountered when wolves appear on the lot. They were different from other Werewolf depictions in that they transformed every night, which in itself is an improvement from the traditional depiction of the Full Moon Transformation. A lot of thought was put into how the Werewolf functioned in the Sims 2, and that same thought process carried over to "Supernatural".
    However, I had one glaring problem with the Werewolf: the model. As it may appear, the Sims franchise broke the mold again and stayed in the classic era by using the look of the original Wolfman. That, my friend, is what killed it for me. In the original Sims game, the "Werewolf" created from using the "Beauty or Beast" charm was VERY wolf-like. The Sims 2 created a hairy man. Just... disappointing.
    For that, let's take a look at what can be fixed:

-I will give it to Maxis on this one, but the overall design of the Werewolf was rather subtle. Now, I love subtle things, but the Werewolf model present in the Sims was far too subtle. Something far more noticeable needs to taken into account. I think the idea behind the Werewolves in "The Order: 1886" was very realistic, as well as the depiction in "Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban". Honestly, Harry Potter's hairless Werewolf was far more appealing that the Werewolves of the Sims franchise. To that extent, a fusion between the two could make up for the lack of variance in the Werewolf from the normal Sim. In other words, give a muzzle option, the ability to change the arch of the back, and a few other notes.
    -Speaking of variance, remember when I said that Vampires could carry Bat-like features? What if it was a full blown form of Lycanthropy?! Sounds obscure? It is. At least... in popular culture. In truth, Lycanthropy can take many different forms, and have. There have been instances in records of Werecats, Werehyenas, Werecows (above all things...), and, yes, Werebats. However, Werewolves are often the most common form when it comes to describing Lycanthropy. In that regard, variance. This will be a continuing theme in this write-up.
    -The interactions from the Supernatural Expansion for the Werewolf were very cute, maybe even terrifying. And the other shenanigans of the Werewolf are very appropriate. However, there could be a few more interactions. Also, in the event of Full Moon, make it so the Werewolf is completely uncontrollable. In other words, the Werewolf essentially becomes an NPC. The Werewolf effectively acts like a more aggressive pet in the event of a Full Moon. You could also lock your Sim in the closet if you think your Sim will do something you don't want him to. Oh, the creepy fan stories to come...

And, I believe I don't have to say much more. Before you sick Jacob on me, let's move on.

*Plantsim: This was rather unexpected. A Plant... Sim? Don't ask me why this exists, because I have no idea.
    The Plantsim first appeared in the half-expected Sims 2: Seasons. In this, Plantsims were very fleshed out, having clothes made of leaves and skin that can photosynthesize. Overall, this was rather weird for me, as the Plantsims themselves were just a Gameplay-centric Sim that functioned quite differently than the norm. Let's talk about the abilities tied to the Plantsim:

-Plantsims live shorter lifespans in The Sims 2. This trait wasn't carried over to the third game.
    -They can produce Asexually. This creates perfect clones of the original Sim.
    -They can photosynthesize. Standing outdoors during the day fulfills the Sunlight need.
    -They need water. Lots of it.
    -They are expert Gardeners. They can even talk to plants!
    -Two different kisses. Oh, the memories of Poison Ivy are coming back!

Straight to the point, that is a Plantsim. Honestly, more can be done:

-As perusal, add variants. Although many could say that Plants all function the same, you may be right. However, there as so many different kinds of plants to put into account.
    -It looks too much like the regular Sim. Change it up by adding special features, like the lack of teeth, or make them a much different shape than the rest. I don't care what you add. Just do it.

This was a rather short one. There really wasn't much to talk about.

See, what did I tell you?
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Next!

*Bigfoot: Yes, Bigfoot has appeared in the Sims. And he only appeared once, in the Sims 2: Bon Voyage. Really, that's it. We're done, moving on!

Just kidding. Why was Bigfoot in the game in the first place. *sigh* I guess there is no use in arguing. Bigfoot in the Sims 2 was just as you would have expected: He is big, hairy, and was only slightly different from the regular Sim. Just like the common depictions.

I think the only thing that needs to be done with Bigfoot, if he even makes it into the Sims 4, is to add variants. Bigfoot has many forms, and the hair should show that. I really don't need to say anything else about this, as there really isn't anything that can be done other than to change the personality slightly.

*sigh* the Fatigue is setting in...

*Genie: Instant thought: Aladdin! Second thought: Robin Williams! Third thought: Genie! Why, isn't there no possible way to hate Disney after that? Huh, what was that? Oh...
    Jokes aside, the depiction of the Genie in the Disney film "Aladdin" was absolutely hilarious, and probably my kind of choice for when it comes to a Genie classic. However, not all Genies are like that, unfortunately. Some are omens of bad luck, and not all are dark blue and funny as can be (oh, Robin Williams, why?). To get started, let's look at why we love the Genie so much (I-I mean look at his history):

Genies have been part of the game since the beginning, making an appearance in the Sims: Livin' Large as an item that can be used for making wishes. The Genie Life State became playable in the Sims 3: Showtime, and, just like the Genie from Aladdin, he will grant wishes to those who ask. In the first two games, the Genie only grants three wishes per Sim, then is locked out from the Sim's use. In the third installment, however, just like how Aladdin used his third wish to free the Genie, you can make a relationship with the Genie and perform a three-step process to free the Genie from the lamp.
    Now, VERY little has to be changed for the Genie if it carries over to the fourth installment. Not even variants will be needed for the Genie. And anything personality-wise can easily be created in CAS. I honestly can't find anything to change without changing the entire meaning of the Genie. Respect, Robin Williams, is all I want.

Robin, why don't people talk about your role in FernGully: The Last Rainforest. To be honest, Tim Curry made the movie, anyway. But, still, what a ride.

This may have been shorter than the last one, but I'm setting a pattern...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Time to talk Harry Potter and "The Mummy". Get it? It's a movie title... Oh, whatever...

*Witch: I'm not sure this is the correct term for "Magic-user". However, the way it has been portrayed in the Sims franchise is undoubtedly important in it's representation.
    To start, the Witch made it's first appearance in the Sims: Makin' Magic, and has been a part of the series ever since. The Witches in the Sims franchise are unique in that they can be either good or bad, not just all bad. In fairytale terms, a Black Witch is the most common portrayal of a Witch, using hazardous spells to do harm upon their victims, while a White Witch is a Witch who protects the good natured people of the world . This concept was originally created for the Wizard of Oz, with the Good Witches and the Wicked Witches. In Supernatural, the Witches are more inspired by their appearance in the Harry Potter series, thanks to the popularity of the books and films. This was easily the better choice of both.
    However, there is no clear difference between White and Black Witches other than appearance throughout the series, except in the Sims 2 where you could either be taught with the ways of light or by the ways of darkness. Even then, you could learn every kind of spell. In the Sims 3: Supernatural, this Good/Evil standard was removed in favor of just adding and removing autonomy depending on your Sim’s personality.
    Now, there isn’t anything wrong with that notion. It’s just that it feels off that your Sim can learn every spell regardless of affinity. There are a few ways this and other things can be fixed:
    -A solution to one problem is to add more spells, and make Black and White variants of the spells in question. This will create the illusion of the spells being unique, even though they do more-or-less the same thing. Really, there really isn’t any explaining to do.
    -I like how the theme of The Sims 3: Supernatural is more in line with Harry Potter and his Wizard friends than the previous form. I’d prefer that it stay that way. There, that’s it! Done!
    -I think the main thing that bothers me about the Witch is that you can’t take any other Life State while magically enhanced. I often see magic as something that can be approached by anyone who wants to spend the time to learn. Make this more of a learnable skill/trait instead of a Life State. It seems to make more sense.

And… that’s it for me. Moving on!

*Mummy: by far the most classic movie monster other than the Vampire and Werewolf, the Mummy has frightened both kids and adults for generations, and doesn’t seem to be dying down, either. Mummies first appeared in the Sims franchise in the third game: The Sims 3: World Adventures. However, the Mummy has appeared in more recent titles, but it really doesn’t make a major appearance until this point. Nevertheless, it can scare the life out of you if you don’t know what you’re dealing with.

In the Sims 3, the Mummy was the one Sim you didn’t want to encounter. The Sim is covered in rags, and moves at a snails pace. But, if it reaches you, it can curse you. The curse lasts two weeks, and if left untreated, nasty warning signs start flashing on the Screen, eventually creating an effect straight out of Fatal Frame. Just watching this was terrifying! Then, death!
    Now that the sinister part of my brain is working, let’s talk Mummy’s Curse:

-The effects are fairly subtle, but I really want to be scared! Add some disturbing audio, and something like a little jump scare every now and again. That’ll make the brats wet their pants!
    -Try playing around with the effects, playing with darker tones, different images, and a couple other things. Also start messing with the Sim’s head, and yours, by adding things to the world that aren’t really there, and have them vanish before your eyes. Try to scare the people who don’t expect this. And watch as it is made into a Meme by an overactive internet.

Now, let’s talk about the mummies themselves:

-Mummies may be most associated with Egyptian history and myth, but Egypt wasn’t the only culture to practice Mummification. There have been mummies found in Peru, China, Mesopotamia, Mesoamerica, Greece, above all else, and other places across the world. Many ancient cultures have mummified their dead, and is a practice that still stands today. To this extent, Mummies in the Sims shouldn’t just be limited to Egypt. Add variants to the game, and make them realistic in that they have been found in the particular culture they represent. This means doing research to see what cultures mummified their dead, and to what caste the most mummies were found to be in.
    -Not all Mummies are inherently evil. The most popular ones in modern culture are usually cast as the villains, especially when we talk about the “Mummy” series we’ve come to love (or hate). However, not all Mummies are as such. I won’t give an example, as I won’t find a popular one. To that extent, just like the Witch, the Mummies could be divided into Light and Dark Mummies, with different powers depending on their alignment. Just a thought…

Anyways, that’s it for me on the Mummy. Next!

Alrighty, almost done. Wait. Really?
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Now, time for a "super" post. Because... Super Thread?

*Imaginary Friend: One show comes to mind when I think of this: Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. Such a good show, definitely better than the other stuff they’ve put on Cartoon Network as of late. Man, what happened to the good stuff. I want my old shows back!
    Okay, now that the rant is out of the way, this was an interesting thing to look at. The Imaginary Friend was first introduced as an NPC in Makin’ Magic, but has since been remade into a Life State for the Sims 3: Generations. The Sim represented what looks to be a rather creepy doll, but the entire concept of the Life State is really touching.
    The Imaginary Friend appears on three stages. Let’s go over each:

-Stage One: easily the creepiest stage, the Imaginary Friend starts out as a strange-looking doll that has a large chance of appearing in a package to a household where a baby was born. When it bonds with an owner, strange things begin to happen. The doll begins to teleport around the house, and moves into different positions when outside the inventory of the owner. When a birthday is held, the doll teleports next to his owner, and in the least creepiest way watches the baby grow up. Not… creepy… at all.
    -Stage Two: After a strong bond is made between the owner and the doll, stage two takes effect. The doll takes a human-sized form, possessing randomized traits and a new appearance. The Imaginary friend has a random name, as well, but it can be changed at anytime before this stage, as well as the gender of the name. No one else can see an Imaginary friend in this stage, and it will show: When the child isn’t selected, the Imaginary Friend is removed from view, but switching back reveals the mysterious character. Because of this, the Imaginary friend cannot socialize with other Sims in the household, except for other Imaginary Friends (which are also visible), and the Friend’s owner. It’s a mechanic I actually like for once, and I wish it to return.
    -Stage Three: Normally, this stage isn’t possible without some preparation. It involves making the Imaginary Friend “real”. Crafting a very specific potion and giving it to the intended Imaginary friend causes an event that take real dedication and heart to pull off. The Imaginary becomes visible to everyone, and looks like an off-putting Sim that is more-or-less human. Luckily, the “realfied” Imaginary Friend can switch between his real form and is original Imaginary form. Admit it, you cry a little on the inside every time you make a friend real.

Now that the touchy part is out of the way, time to see what can be altered.

-The very idea of the model of the Imaginary friend is, surprisingly, original. I have seen very few depictions of Imaginary Friends in the form of dolls. And I definitely think that that concept should stay in a future implementation. However, as always, variants. Test out different childlike designs, and maybe get pictures of the imaginary friends of a collection of children as inspiration. Children are extremely creative minds, so going to the source almost always works.
    -The fact that Imaginary Friends cannot be seen by others in the household is in a league all its own. The concept is, once again, logical. But what if another Sim in the household has his own gifts? Perhaps certain Sims with a highly creative mind can see Imaginary Friends, or the Sim has an all-seeing eye, and can see everything regardless of what normal Sims can’t see. It could be a powerful story element, and can create some really amazing and touching interactions and, maybe, a strong bond of two Sims from two very different worlds. Makes me cry whenever I think about it.
    -What if an Imaginary friend was more than meets the eye. What if you could enter a dreamworld in which the Imaginary Friend and the Child are the only playable characters. You could also create a limbo, in which time passes differently than in the real world. Time could even freeze in the real world while your Sim lives the dream. This could introduce elements that are vastly different from life in the overworld. This could also add an extra layer of story to the game. Of course, that’s just a thought. A Dream.

And, well, there’s the gushy stuff. Next.

*Fairy: The Fairy in the Sims franchise was easily the most interesting thing to come out of Supernatural. The Life State kept to the traditional tales as perusal, yet it remained unique in how they functioned.
    The Fairy was a very recent edition to the Sims franchise, and although the Fairy has appeared in earlier games, it wasn’t a major edition until the Sims 3: Supernatural in 2012. Their impact, nevertheless, is strong, unlike most other Life States within the game.
    Now, let’s talk about what made the Fae so likable:

-Fae live around 5 times longer than normal Sims, meaning they have more time to master their skills.
    -The Fairy can play tricks on mortal-kind, booby trapping certain objects when so desired. The are also master pranksters. Just don’t try to prank a Witch.
    -Fairies are considered the best Gardeners in the Sims 3, since they can cast the spell bloom to make a plant grow faster. There is even a Lifetime Wish associated with this endeavor.
    -The Wings on a Fairy are customizable. However, there are only six shapes to play with: Willowed Wisp (the largest), Dreamy Dragonfly, Majestic Monarch, Super Swirly, Fanciful Ferns, and Busy Bumblebee (the smallest). To make up for that, the wing color is fully customizable, with an interesting mechanic tied to it.
    -The Fairy, just like in the fables, has a true form, which is a small butterfly. And it is awesome.
    -The babies also have wings. And it is adorable.
    -Fairies can call upon auras that boost certain traits and speed up processes done by either the Fairy or nearby Sims. This consumes their Magic reserves at a consistent rate, though.

Of course, as with all of the Occult Sims, there is always room for improvement. Let’s begin, shall we?

-The fact that there is only six wing types is sort of a downgrade. Butterfly and Insect wings in general have a vast array of wing shapes, and there is definitely more that can be done for the more majestic shapes. Try to aim for at least 12.
    -There should be more interactions with the Fae’s true form. Perhaps you could have it so the Fairy can always be in that form if he/she chooses. It could be an interesting story mechanic, and could make for some hilarious interactions. Just don’t try to make Navi.
    -Fae are magic users, so should they also be able to use spells like the ones the Witch uses? I think so.

Anyways, enough about butterflies. Next.

I'm breaking the pattern right... now!
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Alright, last post until I get my hands dirty. I'll keep off until that part is finished...

*Mermaids: If there is something that I hated about Island Paradise, it was how unoriginal the Mermaids were. Before I begin my rant, I need to talk about their current characteristics:
    Mermaids were first introduced in the Sims 3: Island Paradise, and along with them came a small set of characteristics supplied by their need for water. Let’s go over the basics:

-Mermaids have a Hydration need instead of the Hygiene need. This need is fulfilled by getting into showers, tubs, and going out in the rain. They also get the Hydration need from swimming in a pool or in the ocean.
    -While in water, i.e. when swimming in a pool on in the ocean, the mermaid has a long, piscine tail, with similar functions to a dolphin’s tail. A Male Mermaid (I prefer Mersim) has a tail that is a cross between a dolphin and a shark. Females have a tail that is more fishlike. On land, this tail is replaced by scaly legs.
    -Hunger functions a bit differently for a Mermaid than a normal Sim. Normal foods don’t satisfy the hunger need as much as normal, but eating fish or kelp supplies a normal if not improved hunger satisfaction. Eating food, for some reason, is not autonomous.
    -To become a Mermaid, your Sim must eat Mermadic Kelp. Your Sim can obtain this item from a Mermaid with a good friend relationship, or by buying the kelp as a Lifetime Reward. The transformation is quick and painless, as usual.
    -If your Sim doesn’t go into the ocean regularly, your Sim can run the risk of losing his/her Mermaid powers. Swimming in the pool doesn’t help.
    -The Mermaid has a maximized Scuba-Diving Skill, and can breathe indefinitely underwater. They also don’t get the depressurized debuff from swimming underwater in dive spots. They even have the advantage of swimming far faster than any other Sim.

Now that the basics are handled, it’s time to rant.

-The mermaid model while in the water was entirely uninteresting and bland. It felt too much inspired by the Little Mermaid, and looked almost like a copy and paste of the concept. That needs to be changed. First, the tail can be much more exotic. Extra fins, more defined scales, flowing animations, a large amount can be done. The second thing that can be done comes straight from Deviantart.com: absolute transformation! Not only can the tail be changed, but also the entire body. Add spines, a dorsal fin, elbow fins, webbed hands with claws, fishy eyes, and, perhaps, a muzzle to top it all off. As with the Werewolf, the transition can be absolute, and quite painful.
    -The lack of true customization was very disappointing. The only way you could edit the tail of the Mermaid was by using a third party mod. I don’t want to have to do that. To that end, a new customization feature needs to be added. The Create-a-Sim for the Mermaid can take place in a Tank, allowing for full view of the Mermaid’s model rather than a clunky and awkward animation fixture. This can also add for some extra customization that includes more than just changing the scale color. Different fin shapes, extra facial features, spine shape, a lot can be done. And, with this feature, make the Mermaid usable in CAS. I can’t believe this was missing, especially when coupled with Supernatural.
    -Outside of Isla Paradiso, there is no underwater diving in the Sims 3, even inside pools and in the oceans of every neighborhood. This could easily be a limitation with the engine the Sims 3 used. If swimming returns in the Sims 4, there is no excuse to do the exact same thing as the Sims 3. When Mermaids return, this should be an absolute must.
    -Mermaids in the Sims 3 could not be saved to the bin. Long story short, that needs to be changed.
    -The fact that Mermaids don’t autonomously eat food is extremely annoying, and can sometimes make fulfilling the hunger bar a chore. One way to fix it it to fix the autonomy, another is to add kelp/fish-based recipes to the game that the Mermaid will automatically eat if it’s available.

Aaaand, that’s it from me. Yeah, there’s my rant.

There! I broke the pattern! Happy?
    I'll take my time with the next part. I needed to get this out of the way... Anyways, feel free to post now. The next part will come out when it's done...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    I changed the thread location to a more... appropriate spot. Hopefully it won't be thrown out of question this time...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    As someone who suffers (or revels, depending on the perspective) from innate vampirism, I am trying desperately to be patient for occult states to be added, (on top of waiting for the game to actually be completely downloaded.) I know I will be among the first to regain that lost vampirism when it's released and I can only hope they don't attempt to make these life states as family-friendly as some would say TS4 is becoming. The joy of these states was the edge and banes they brought onto the sims who turned into them and those edges shouldn't be softened in the new era.

I'd also recommend an angel or devil state of being, but I doubt it will happen. Might be a gray area that they shouldn't go into considering it links to religion and the world of complaints surrounding that.

Did I just rant and rave like a lunatic? Just a post-thought. Anyway, back to hiding in my shadows...
  • Options
    pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    TLDR
  • Options
    What?
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Alright, I wanted to release the different possibilities for Sim Life States in the future. So, let's start with what I didn't cover just yet:

We are reaching the end of our journey. And what a road it has been. As we reach the end of our journey, all we can do now is speculate on what we can see in the near future. Now, prepare yourselves for the ideas to come. Role the screen!

*DragonSim: If there was one thing that disappointed me about the Dragon Valley Downloadable World, it was the Dragons. These pint-sized lizards were first introduced in the Sims: Makin’ Magic, and reappeared in the Sims downloadable map Dragon Valley. And they were extremely annoying to have!
    First off, all of the Dragon’s actions were autonomous, and completely randomized, giving you little to no control over their actions. And, well, they were pint-sized, small pets, second off.
    For this, there needs to be a major change to how these little guys function. This is the reason I put these little buggers on a list of “Life States”. I’m aiming high on this one, and, boy, I mean “high”. Here is what I had in mind: DragonSim. Plantsim? Sure, why not? DragonSim? Why isn’t this a real thing?! I can’t believe this wasn’t thought of sooner.
    It has been heavily implied in fables and myth that Dragons have vast mystical and illusionary powers. Some Dragons have even been depicted as being able to adopt human form, and this shows. A lot. Dragons also are not the size of cats, normally, unless they’re children. Now that that is out of the way, time to speculate:

-First, the DragonSim can have illusionary powers. This can be implemented by allowing the DragonSim two different forms. The first is an illusionary human form, which looks much like a normal Sim would… with a few imperfections. Naturally longer ears, sharper teeth, and, perhaps, a few scales on the arms and legs. Then the eyes can be slit, to show the Sim’s reptilian nature. Then, there is the true form. Now, there should be limitations on what size the DragonSim can be. In my view, a reasonable size for a DragonSim would be around the size of a large horse. Game of Thrones, anyone?
    -Variants. I can’t express this enough. However, we need to look back at history to see what kind of Variants. The first is the European Variant, which has a similar structure to a horse with wings coming from it’s shoulders. This is usually the most common, and the most unrealistic, depiction of the Dragon we all know and love. The Eastern Variant looks much like a snake with legs, and not much else. However, a rising star has started to come up as of late: the Wyvern. It may be easy to confuse a Dragon with a Wyvern, because, technically, they are the same thing. However, the Wyvern is far more realistic than the European variant, mostly because Wyverns have four limbs instead of six: two legs and two wings that also act as arms. Not surprisingly, even the Sims franchise has used the Wyvern style in Dragon Valley.
    -Try to keep as many of the original interactions as possible for the DragonSim, plus a few more interactions to accommodate for a much larger build. Remove the treasure part, please. It’s insulting.
    -Make the DragonSim extremely long-lived, reaching a staggering 10x normal lifespan.

Now, how could the DragonSim be created? Well, first, a player Sim can start out as one. Make the DragonSim available in CAS, and allow for extended customization. Next, make them have to earn their Draconic form, or give it as a curse. Either way, the Sim becomes a DragonSim in short notice, even if he/she doesn’t enjoy it. In fact, you might go as far as to make the Sim miserable about becoming a DragonSim for the first night. It’ll add a bit of story to the Sims, as well as adding character. The Life State could also be inherited.

The idea is just a thought, and a good one at best. But there is more to come. I might refine the Life State a bit more, but, for now, this is what I got.

Wait? DragonSim! Oh, boy...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    I'm writing another entry into the speculation list. Expect it soon! Of course, I have one more to share right now!

*Immortal: For some reason, I always disable the Aging mechanic from the Sims whenever I am playing it. One of my Sims is supposed to be an immortal being who doesn’t age and cannot die. Yet, outside Generations, there was no way to satisfy that idea. To follow that concept, we have the Immortal.
    So, what is an Immortal? An Immortal is a Sim who is invulnerable and unaging, never going beyond the Adult stage. These Sims also age VERY slowly, with periods between aging nearly three times as long. However, unlike most Occult stages, once the Sim reaches adulthood, he/she stops aging. The Sim also cannot be injured or killed at any point in their lives, a sure fire way to see if they are truly Immortals.
    So, how could this be implemented? Well, let’s take a look:

-Immortals are without death. This means that they cannot be killed in any shape or form. This even includes old age, because the Elder Life Stage is completely removed from an Immortal.
    -Immortality is not carried over to the Immortal’s offspring. It is a non-inheritable trait.
    -The Immortal Life State cannot be obtained by any other Sim. The Sim him/herself must be created an Immortal in CAS.
    -The Immortal Life State is to be the only Life State that could be stacked with another Life State, kind of like the revised Witch I came up with. This means you could be both an Immortal and a Mermaid at the same time. The only exception is the Vampire, which can become immortal via unlocks.
    -The Immortality of an Immortal cannot be revoked in any way, even if he wanted to.

The idea behind the Immortal isn’t just gameplay changes. It’s also story-centric. Your Sim is immortal, while others around him are not. He will have to live with the fact that others around him will grow old and die while he/she remains young. This could force your Sim to make decisions that he/she won’t be comfortable with, and live out the consequences.

Overall, this is a powerful story element that is sure to stand as a reminder of what would happen if a person will never die.

The next entry is coming soon. Once it's done, I'll post it.
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    Alright guys, I know it's been an eternity since the last post. I simply ran out of ideas. I'm leaving the task to you guys. I'll be opening up the text file that I used to make this super thread soon, and it will be open to the public for anyone to add their own ideas (I might open an extra document on Google Drive for user content). So, as part of the creative process, list your ideas in this thread, or any other threads I make to expand on this. As always, no game-breaking Life States, and try to stay reasonable in content. I will also be taking any advice for the next edition of Exploring the Sims, so feel free to drop that info as well.
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page

Some of my Threads:
    DragonSim

• Options
    XIQAHNAR1NIXXIQAHNAR1NIX Posts: 29 New Member
    Love it!! Lots of great ideas there

What about troll sims?

Like they maybe have a normal sim form/disguise but can turn into big tall fat creatures as well

Highly lazy, eat a lot and be really rude an stuff?