Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What new computer would I update to to play Sims 4 on Ultra (guesstimate)?

ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
edited August 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
I currently have an AMD HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR3 card with and i5 2500k 3.30ghz processor and 8GB RAM.

I want to build/buy a new PCsince this one was bought in 2011 but parts were from 2010 mostly I believe. As well as concerns over if the graphics card would fit/perform well with my older parts.

So, any building/buying tips would be great! My budget is $1250. Thanks :)
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
Origin ID: simaddict1990
Post edited by ashcrash19 on

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Not Intel.
  • Options
    whitknight26whitknight26 Posts: 106 Member
    I personally can't help you - since the specs are similar to the Sims 3 - if you can play that on high - I would say it's safe to say you could play the new one on high as well. I don't know that they'll have an "ultra" setting.
  • Options
    SkulltecSkulltec Posts: 474 Member
    You want AMD or Nvidia?
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Is there a logo on the box that we can see? AMD or Nvidia?
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    mulboro wrote: »

What box do you want to see?
  • Options
    I haven't seen one - but I did find a picture of some box are that showed it was coming out for mac...lol
  • Options
    Skulltec wrote: »

The game box.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    I don't mind which brand it is, though I've only had AMD so far. This is a desktop that I own, by the way. This is a link to my PC in case that helps--specifications tab shows everything it has. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229284
  • Options
    I personally can't help you - since the specs are similar to the Sims 3 - if you can play that on high - I would say it's safe to say you could play the new one on high as well. I don't know that they'll have an "ultra" setting.

Sorry, I meant Ultra as in the highest settings for everything.

• Options
    edited August 2014

The game box.

I don't know what you mean but lets say it shows AMD. Then what?
  • Options
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    I don't mind which brand it is, though I've only had AMD so far. This is a desktop that I own, by the way. This is a link to my PC in case that helps--specifications tab shows everything it has. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229284

What's your budget ?
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    edited August 2014
    I currently have an AMD HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR3 card with and i5 2500k 3.30ghz processor and 8GB RAM.

I feel like my processor and RAM are fine, but my card is getting outdated.

I believe I have a 600W power supply...what graphics could would y'all recommend? I can link my rig (via Newegg) if necessary. :)

Do you have a 1st generation Ipad? Just split it open and glue the Ipad graphics card onto your pc. Sims 4 should run at 500 fps on an ipad 1st gen graphics chip. The game is a 70 dollar ipad app from 2005 so you should be good to go.
  • Options
    If the box art had one of the logo's on it - it would mean that's the chip sets they did the most extensive testing and have the most support for - so then he would go on to suggest that card brand.
  • Options
    If the box art had one of the logo's on it - it would mean that's the chip sets they did the most extensive testing and have the most support for - so then he would go on to suggest that card brand.
    Exactly.

What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options

Honestly i have to disagree, Like in BF4 they are AMD sponsored but my Nvidia card runs perfectly fine on that game.
  • Options

Honestly i have to disagree, Like in BF4 they are AMD sponsored but my Nvidia card runs perfectly fine on that game.
    Good for you, other games aren't so lucky.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    I think nor AMD nor Intel sponsored this game(you'll be able to see that on the Sims website) Not sure though
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    I dunno AMD, but in case you're going Nvidia, I guess the base card for the tight budget, is the GTX 750 Ti , and you can go higher from there I guess.

Of course, I admit I haven't researched about the 6xx series, there might be better options there, but price wise, the 750 Ti is a good deal.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    well then at the very least - let's base it off the limitations of a 32 bit program - 2 gb video card is cutting a fine line on a 32 bit system having enough left over ram after the os ect to run the additional 2gb for the game. There's a few articles(I'd post links but I'm not allowed to yet.) that the OP could look up to get a fair idea on how that works.

Again - I believe that your system will run it just as well as it does the Sims 3 - not counting poor game optimization. At the very least this is playing it safe until reviews and more statistics present themselves.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

What's your budget ?

Hmm, maybe a max of $250? Though I could go higher if absolutely necessary...not really familiar with card costs.
  • Options
    Oh, and my PC is Windows 7 64 bit forgot to mention.
  • Options
    The game is a 32 bit application though - just keep that in mind. Their tests would hopefully be on 32 bit systems...64 bit systems obviously have the advantage either way there. Also - keep in mind that your mother board might not support the new card. You'll need to look into that.
  • Options
    How would I find out what my motherboard supports/what my motherboard is?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Some have different keys for entering the bios your best bet would be to download a program called CPU-Z and it will give you the specs - or should. If you still have the boxes that came with your computer - that would do as well. But since you ordered on newegg and not direct from cyberpower you might not have all the manuals..etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Found out my motherboard info. :)

2janfbn.png

P.S. I haven't updated my BIOS in a while because I know that has the potential to royally mess up a PC if not done correctly...and I'm definitely not a PC professional. :P