Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Mac User's Best Friend!/PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANY NEW PROBLEM THREADS!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    naschkatzenaschkatze Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can be of help to me because this is just beyond frustrating! I have a brand new mac laptop (2016 12 inch with El Capitan) and I am experiencing major issues with getting my Sims game to play.

I downloaded TS3 from Mac Games Store, and then downloaded all of the expansion packs via Origin. Initially the game would not even load, however, thanks to BlueBellFlora's helpful guide, a super patch, and 6 hours of installing/reinstalling, I got the game to launch.

The game looks perfect when launched. When I am in Create a Sim, however, the game begins to do one of two things. 1). Crash completely; or 2). Some of the backgrounds disappear for menus and the game begins to freeze, forcing me to quit myself. The game will not run for more than 20 minutes.

This is incredibly frustrating as I stupidly bought 4 new EPs on Origin, assuming I would not have any trouble! Please help!!!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
  • Options
    CrossinatorCrossinator Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys,

This is really frustrating. I spent way too much time trying to figure out on my own, and I decided that if you guys can help me, it would be so much better.

I downloaded the base game, and it worked fine. I tried downloading an EP (Ambitions), it would download, then when I try to start up, it says "Unknown Error Occurred."

I tried to uninstall, and it says "You can’t open the application “The Sims™ 3 Uninstaller” because it may be damaged or incomplete."

I went through every step that BluebellFloraBluebellFlora has wrote about regarding going through files and deleting them. Then I tried the manual super patch, and the launcher worked again (the base game only). Then when I tried to download an EP, it would say "Unknown Error Occurred" again.

I am running on MacOs Sierra (v. 10.12.2) and I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch with Retina Display. The processor is 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5.

ANY TIPS WILL BE HELPFUL, I AM TRYING TO GET BACK TO THE WONDERFUL GAME OF SIMS 3
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    First of all, the Super Patch does not need the Launcher to work. And never, ever use the Launcher to patch your game. The Launcher was not designed to handle the amount of data that the Patch contains. So first of all download the Super Patch from the link at the top of this forum. Make sure it's the 1.67 patch and yes, that is the most current one for the Mac. (Only Windows is 1.69) Next if you have any saved games, move the Sims 3 folder to your Desktop for safe keeping. Same with the Super Patch. Next, uninstall Sims 3 using BlueBellFlora's instructions. Reinstall the Base Game and patch using the Super Patch. Do Not Use the Launcher. Start the game to make sure it runs ok. Also, make sure that Origin is update as well. That sometimes affects downloads of games.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    CrossinatorCrossinator Posts: 2 New Member
    How do you start the game without using the launcher?

• Options
    You use the Launcher to "start" your game, not "patch" it. The Super Patch will launch itself if you click on the icon once downloaded. Patching and starting are two different operations. :)
  • Options
    dieterricharddieterrichard Posts: 4 New Member
    Where can I find the threads about uninstalling your game properly before reinstalling it to use the super patch?
  • Options
    (nevermind I found it) I did everything according to these steps, but I keep getting the "an unknown error occurred" after installing my first EP, the one after which I had the issue first. What should I do now?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    (nevermind I found it) I did everything according to these steps, but I keep getting the "an unknown error occurred" after installing my first EP, the one after which I had the issue first. What should I do now?

Read http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/908161/unknown-error-fix-for-late-night-ambitions-and-el-capitan-and-sierra#latest
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Thank you!!! :):)
  • Options
    Shannacooper76Shannacooper76 Posts: 1 New Member
    hi im so sorry if this is just a huge repetitive mess, i read the first page as best as i could and those don't pin point my problem from what i read but it is very possible i could have overlooked it, I downloaded just the base game of ts3 off of origin, I have a macbook pro mid 2012 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB of Memory with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MG graphics card, its running sierra currently, I've never played or been able to successfully open ts3, and i got this error "service initialization failed 0x0175dcbb" now i apologize if you or anyone has listed this problem, I've just been looking for about 2 days now and I'm getting tired of trying. if anyone could help it'd be lovely! again i apologize if i overlooked this issue already being listed.
  • Options
    The last post in this thread references what you need to do. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834688/unknown-error-occurred-pls-help#latest

Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    libbyrootlibbyroot Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys,

This is really frustrating. I spent way too much time trying to figure out on my own, and I decided that if you guys can help me, it would be so much better.

I downloaded the base game, and it worked fine. I tried downloading an EP (Ambitions), it would download, then when I try to start up, it says "Unknown Error Occurred."

I tried to uninstall, and it says "You can’t open the application “The Sims™ 3 Uninstaller” because it may be damaged or incomplete."

I went through every step that BluebellFloraBluebellFlora has wrote about regarding going through files and deleting them. Then I tried the manual super patch, and the launcher worked again (the base game only). Then when I tried to download an EP, it would say "Unknown Error Occurred" again.

I am running on MacOs Sierra (v. 10.12.2) and I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch with Retina Display. The processor is 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5.

ANY TIPS WILL BE HELPFUL, I AM TRYING TO GET BACK TO THE WONDERFUL GAME OF SIMS 3

HAY so I was wondering if you found a solution to this issue?? I've been experiencing the same problems with the same laptop set up as you, and I think I've found a bit of help for you.

I uninstalled/reinstalled all of the expansion packs I have so many times only to have the "unknown error" occur again I started a process of: download/install base game, update it, try and get it to launch, just to triple check that it would be okay. If it worked, I moved onto an EP and did the same process until I found the EP (in my case it was Late Night) that caused the "unknown error," After hypothesizing that it was Late Night causing my issues, I did a final clean uninstall of everything Sims 3, and then reinstalled and updated each EP using the same method as before, just excluding Late Night.

It worked for me!! I have all my EP's and SP's cleanly and beautifully running on my laptop, save Late Night and can finally get back to playing. Hopefully maybe this was a bit helpful to you if you still need it?

This also leads me to a question of my own I have now...what the heck is wrong with my Late Night expansion? I really don't want to risk trying to install it and have to start fresh all over again, but I also miss its features. I've done this all through Origin, not using any of the discs. Anyone have advice? Looked around for someone with a similar problem (one single EP seeming to cause them trouble) but didn't find much help.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    CJoyceAcerCJoyceAcer Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi...I'm sorry to be a bother.. I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013), I can list my computer's system down below but since last weekend my Sims 3 game has been progressively getting worst and crashing quicker and quicker. It used to only crash maybe once or 3 times a month, and this week alone it crashed over 10 times.
    I have the Base game (with Nightlife and I think it came with high-end loft stuff), Generations, and Seasons expansion packs-all were downloads from Origin.
    At first I thought my download of "Loads of Laundry" was the reason why my game kept crashing, I tried "resetsim *" (just made the sims/my laptop froze) and looking up how to fix it but all of the thread says to reinstall the game or get a PC. I don't think I want to waste time trying to create everything I did or can afford to buy a new laptop. I also tried closing any other applications that could be running along with playing the sims but my game still crashes (now every 5 minutes). Please help, I got the game as a gift and I don't want to feel like I just wasted their money.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
    Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

and each time it crashes it shows me:
    Exception raised
    Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x000003fc
    at address 0x005x75e7
    Do you wish to debug it?
  • Options
    CJoyceAcer wrote: »
    Hi...I'm sorry to be a bother.. I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013), I can list my computer's system down below but since last weekend my Sims 3 game has been progressively getting worst and crashing quicker and quicker. It used to only crash maybe once or 3 times a month, and this week alone it crashed over 10 times.
    I have the Base game (with Nightlife and I think it came with high-end loft stuff), Generations, and Seasons expansion packs-all were downloads from Origin.
    At first I thought my download of "Loads of Laundry" was the reason why my game kept crashing, I tried "resetsim *" (just made the sims/my laptop froze) and looking up how to fix it but all of the thread says to reinstall the game or get a PC. I don't think I want to waste time trying to create everything I did or can afford to buy a new laptop. I also tried closing any other applications that could be running along with playing the sims but my game still crashes (now every 5 minutes). Please help, I got the game as a gift and I don't want to feel like I just wasted their money.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
    Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

and each time it crashes it shows me:
    Exception raised
    Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x000003fc
    at address 0x005x75e7
    Do you wish to debug it?

Several things are going on:
    1. You're trying to play on a low spec. machine not designed for gaming so it will struggle
    2. The debug error is caused by lack of memory due to the 2GB limit the game has. You need to purge RAM frequently
    3. Your Intel HD graphics is not powerful enough. Put all your in game graphics options settings to low
    4. Late Night and Seasons are the most demanding EPs resource wise and will cause constant issues due to 1 & 3
    5. If you have any CC installed this will only exacerbate the issue

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even those with high end Macs struggle to play the game. The Sims 3 just does not play well on any Mac due to Cider.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    CJoyceAcerCJoyceAcer Posts: 9 New Member
    So all I have to do if lower the quality of the graphics and also purge my RAM? If I do in a few years get a new laptop...would I be able to transfer all of my game play into the new PC one? And thank you so much
  • Options
    cordeliacatcordeliacat Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi,

Is it possible to download Sim 4 from Origin on a Mac? I tried to play the trial version and it says only available on Windows but on the description page it says "PC/Mac" :c
  • Options
    cordeliacatcordeliacat Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi,

Is it possible to download Sim 4 from Origin on a Mac? I tried to play the trial version and it says only available on Windows but on the description page it says "PC/Mac" :c
  • Options
    @CJoyceAcer No, that's not all you need to do but it may help. Your Mac is simply not powerful enough to properly play the game.

@cordeliacat The trial version is Windows only. The full game is available for Mac and Windows.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Migs_O_Barbaro1Migs_O_Barbaro1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! I just last night bought Sims 3, and as soon as i tried to boot it up i had problems. Firstly every time i tried to open it up i always got a 'Unknown error occurred'. So i tried to bypass the launcher but then every time i try to open it i get this message "Unable to start game Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)". What do i do?

Please HELP!
    A thanks in advance
  • Options
    Hi! I just last night bought Sims 3, and as soon as i tried to boot it up i had problems. Firstly every time i tried to open it up i always got a 'Unknown error occurred'. So i tried to bypass the launcher but then every time i try to open it i get this message "Unable to start game Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)". What do i do?

Please HELP!
    A thanks in advance

Please give us more specifics about your Mac. I'll be very honest, Sims 3 doesn't alway run and play well on MacBooks as they are usually not powerful enough to run the game and have graphics problems with some the Intel graphics chips.
  • Options
    simsteph21simsteph21 Posts: 13 New Member
    Firstly, sorry to bother everyone but I was wondering if anyone could please help me out. I purchased a digital copy of the Sims 3 a couple months ago but I was never able to get it to work on my mac using Origin. It starts to install but ALWAYS stops and freezes my whole laptop. I've tried everything from uninstalling origin, to deleting files etc. and I also emailed the website that I bought it from. I've kinda given up with origin and now I desperately want to buy the disc versions of TS3 but I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money if I'm not sure that it'll work. I've looked through tonnes of forums but am yet to find someone with the same mac as me. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether TS3 would work on my mac.

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    Software: OS X 10.9.5

So far I've noticed a lot of issues with macs post 2012, especially with Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite so I'm hoping mine will be ok since I've still got Mavericks. Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help me!
  • Options
    simsteph21 wrote: »
    Firstly, sorry to bother everyone but I was wondering if anyone could please help me out. I purchased a digital copy of the Sims 3 a couple months ago but I was never able to get it to work on my mac using Origin. It starts to install but ALWAYS stops and freezes my whole laptop. I've tried everything from uninstalling origin, to deleting files etc. and I also emailed the website that I bought it from. I've kinda given up with origin and now I desperately want to buy the disc versions of TS3 but I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money if I'm not sure that it'll work. I've looked through tonnes of forums but am yet to find someone with the same mac as me. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether TS3 would work on my mac.

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    Software: OS X 10.9.5

So far I've noticed a lot of issues with macs post 2012, especially with Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite so I'm hoping mine will be ok since I've still got Mavericks. Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help me!

Firstly, you need to get rid of any files that have already installed. Next, run the Origin reset tool. Now download and try to install the base game again. If you have Time Machine set to automatically backup please disable it while you try to download and install.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    sfpsvvsfpsvv Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi there,

Thanks for having so many posts with suggestions to solve problems!

I've sadly encountered one myself with the sims 3 pets (no issues previously to this expansion). It came up with the disc authorisation failure and after reading the post on this by BlueBellFlora I tried moving my the sims 3 folder from the directory to desktop and restarting the mac. Unfortunately now the game doesn't get past the blue screen after the launcher... are there any other alternative solutions other then going via origins? Or do I have to uninstall everything and install again? I also don't want to skip the launcher unless that's the only option available. Please let me know.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top