Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nectar value fluctuations

I decided to have a blast at trying to predict what a wine quality, flavour and value would be before making it into a nectar, so I made a major experiment. 7 sims all copies of each other sharing the same traits, all with capped gardening and nectary skills using testingcheats, never made any nectar prior to the experiment, and using the swiftgro gardening station to nag dozens of buydebug omni plants into the different qualities. I also used the buydebug plants to grow the fruits to feed to the omni plants (plasma fruits were bought from the shop as they weren't available in buydebug) and then stocking them in colour coded chests based on their quality.

Once I had gathered a fair number of different quality fruits I then began tests to see how much each fruit was worth resold to the grocer and the value and quality of a nectar using 10 of the fruits, then dividing the number by 10.

I noticed that apples and grapes shared the exact same values and qualities, so I began experimenting with making nectar of normal 9 apples + 1 grape, 8 apples + 2 grapes etc. I hoped that with the fruits sharing the same qualities and values that they would result in nectars all sharing the same quality, value and flavours, but instead I had fluctuating results:

10 apple = Normal quality nectar, $14 simoleans
10 grape = Normal quality nectar, $14 simoleans
9 apple + 1 grape = Normal quality nectar, Not Very Good flavour, $16 simoleans
8 apple + 2 grape = Normal quality nectar, Not Very Good flavour, $14 simoleans
7 apple + 3 grape = Nice quality nectar, Great flavour, $22 simoleans
6 apple + 4 grape = Normal quality nectar, Pretty Good flavour, $18 simoleans
5 apple + 5 grape = Normal quality nectar, Not Very Good flavour, $15 simoleans

Any reason how come the quality, flavour and value differs and isn't always the same?

Comments

• Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited March 2014
    It would seem to me that an optimum balance is suggested by your results. If you use the 7 apple/3 grape, you get the best result, but as you get further from it in either direction, the results are not as good. It seems to be a reasonable progression to me.

It would be interesting to see what would happen with other fruit combinations. (I usually just go with pure pomegranate or the recipe that has a lot of life fruit in it. However, I stopped using the life fruit recipe for the most part because I was afraid that it would throw off their lifetime rather than just give them the nice moodlet.)
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited March 2014
    geekgirl101, you'd probably enjoy this thread over at Carl's Sim Guide:

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=219.0

Sounds right up your alley.
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2014
    I had a look at that topic before and my numbers come out different, even for perfect fruits. When I make an apple nectar with 10 perfect quality apples mine is valued at $37 simoleans, not $54 simoleans (the difference could be due to the other testers having completed certain challenges and upgrades to the nectar machine.)

Here's an example from the spreadsheet I've been collecting data from:
    Fruit		Fruit Quality	Fertilizer STR	Nectar Quality	Nectar Value	Fruit Value
    Apple(C)	Normal		Nice		Normal		1.4		4
    		Nice		Nice		Normal		1.7		4
    		Very Nice	Nice		Nice		1.9		6
    		Great		Nice		Nice		2.2		8
    		Excellent	Nice		Nice		2.6		10
    		Outstanding	Nice		Nice		3.0		12
    		Perfect		Great		Very Nice	3.7		16
    Grape(C)	Normal		Nice		Normal		1.4		4

As you can see from my tests Apples and Grapes are both a common fruit, they share the same values when sold at a grocer, they produce nectar of the same value, same quality, and provide the same fertilizer strength, which is why I'm so confused that if the fruits are this identical that they make different value and quality nectars when blended together, unless there's something else in those numbers on that topic that I'm missing and is a hidden number assigned to them.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I had a look at that topic before and my numbers come out different, even for perfect fruits. When I make an apple nectar with 10 perfect quality apples mine is valued at $37 simoleans, not $54 simoleans (the difference could be due to the other testers having completed certain challenges and upgrades to the nectar machine.)

Here's an example from the spreadsheet I've been collecting data from:
    Fruit		Fruit Quality	Fertilizer STR	Nectar Quality	Nectar Value	Fruit Value
    Apple(C)	Normal		Nice		Normal		1.4		4
    Grape(C)	Normal		Nice		Normal		1.4		4

As you can see from my tests Apples and Grapes are both a common fruit, they share the same values when sold at a grocer, they produce nectar of the same value, same quality, and provide the same fertilizer strength, which is why I'm so confused that if the fruits are this identical that they make different value and quality nectars when blended together, unless there's something else in those numbers on that topic that I'm missing and is a hidden number assigned to them.

I suspect that there is a hidden number involved with each fruit so that each fruit is not treated as the same kind, even if their original price is the same. When used as a nectar ingredient, they are obviously different when combined.

Think of it this way:
    Even if a fruit costs the same at the store and makes (by itself) wonderful "nectar", they may not blend the same.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2014
    I am just getting into nectar making (just got World Adventures recently). I've been experimenting with various combinations but haven't done a thorough study like you have. Your results are really interesting.

Based on Carl's guide to nectar making (if you haven't read it, starts here and but you'd be more interested in the 2nd page here the 4th page here and maybe the 3rd page here) I was under the impression that flavor should vary by combination. I also thought the flavor affects price of the final nectar too, so your results look fine to me in that respect.

But I didn't think flavor affected quality and all things being equal the fact that the Great flavor 7 apple/3 grape combination came out with a nice quality is surprising. Well, actually...I take that back. Rereading Carl's guide (last bullet point on the 2nd page), apparently taste/flavor does affect quality both positively and negatively - or at least that's his conclusion. So, perhaps if you tried with mid-quality apples and grapes you'd see more of a trend. With normal quality fruit and normal quality nectars you are at the bottom of the possible quality range (AFAIK) so won't see the effect of 'not very good' flavor on price and quality. (I.e. I think there is no lower quality than Normal.)

I don't know what affects the flavor rating from different combinations, that is why some combinations are great and others absolutely terrible. I haven't read anything that explains why some combinations are better than others. Based on other threads on this forum that I've dug up through google it doesn't seem anyone has found any pattern to what combinations make great flavors. But people seem to think it's independent of fruit quality, nectar process, machine upgrade, and skill level (at least that's my takeaway - I haven't tested that).

As for why your 3 Normal quality, Not Very Good flavor nectars all have different simolean values, dunno. Maybe it's just a game thing like how gems and metals can vary in simolean value. But I'm just guessing about that. Maybe I'll have my nectar making sim make several batches of the same combination of nectar with the same quality of fruits and see if there's any variation.

Post your results if you experiment more. I'll be interested to hear what you find.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah that is true about the flavour affecting quality, I read about that before I started the experiments, and this is where I think the hidden number is. At the moment my tests have all been done with normal quality fruit but I'll soon be doing the other qualities once I've massed a good stock of them. Perhaps you're right and I'll start seeing how both quality and flavour play in the final value of the nectar.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Better late than never to comment on this. With my tests eventually it was showing just random results everywhere. Not every bottle was giving the same results either. I did repeated tests with the same fruit combinations and was getting different results. It made it impossible to finish the testing with some valid results. My thoughts is maybe time of day plays a part too that the nectar matures in the compressor if it crosses over into another day before it's bottled. I don't know, I lost the game after it threw up a critical world error so I can't even check to see if it had anything to do with the game time or if it's just the game giving off random figures.
  • Options
    I'm glad you continued with your experimentation. It's sad that you lost your world so it couldn't go further. That is very much a bummer!