Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♥♥♥ The Simatography Challenge ♥♥♥

97nrkw.gif

3467spg.gif

30cw0b5.gif

THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION. The Simatography Challenge is a place where you can practice, get critique, try different simatography tasks, share, and really have fun with a variety of open challenges that can really help you improve your simatography and editing skills. There are a variety of editing, non editing, and combination challenges that give you the opportunity to share your work with the community.

Feel free to submit your own challenges via the "Challenge Submission Form". I will review and post your challenge to the list if accepted. Try to keep your challenges unique, and try not to duplicate current challenges, or share challenges that are too similar to the ones already posted.

Have fun sharing your work, and post your progress if you wish. Even share your step process if you choose! You can choose any challenge you wish, in any order, and as many times as you want. This is not a thread for sharing random sim pics unless you are looking for critique from the fellow challengers or Critique Masters. If you wish to share a competition entry here before you submit it to your competition, feel free and we'll help you improve your photo the best we can before you submit it.

What is a Critique Master?
A Critique Master is my lame, unimaginative name for the people who give critique. These people are always active on this thread and are ready to help anyone improve their simatography. Although anyone can give critique as long as the submitter wishes to be critiqued, these people are the official big honchos of The Simatography Challenge forum.

How can I become a Critique Master?
Simple, just fill out THIS form and post it HERE.
Critique Master applications posted in this thread will be ignored.

If you have been accepted as a Critique Master, you are allowed 5 requests to change your display photo below.

Make sure to read the details on submitted challenge photos, don't give critique on image that specifically ask for none. [This goes for everyone]

Simple compliments and recognition of a submission does not count as critique.

Feel free to use the 10 star rating for Critique. They're not required, but they help give the Simatographers an idea of what level they're at for any given image:

10 Star: ★★★★★★★★★★
09 Star: ★★★★★★★★★☆
08 Star: ★★★★★★★★☆☆
07 Star: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆
06 Star: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
05 Star: ★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
04 Star: ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
03 Star: ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
02 Star: ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
01 Star: ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
00 Star: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

- Only images posted with the "Entry Submission Form" will be added to the gallery.
- Let's keep this thread positive, critique should be handled professionally.
- Do not throw a fit if you're unhappy with your critique. If you can not discuss why you feel differently in a mature manner then please do not start a debate.
- Critique will be given honestly. If your image really is a 2, you will be given a 2. This is not considered being mean. This is being honest. All scores should be followed with an explanation (the actual critique) as to why the score was given and how you can improve.

350kpb6.gif
1. Recreate a scene from a movie.
Description: Recreate a scene from one of your favorite movies.
Requirements: Share the title of the movie if appropriate. | Give your own twist if you wish. | Post a link to an image of the scene if possible.

2. Step outside of your comfort zone.
Description: Do something you wouldn't normally do.
Requirements: Tell us what it is you did that you don't normally do under "Notes" in your submission.

3. Piggy Back an Assignment.
Description: Pick an assignment from a past or current competition and give it a whirl.
Requirements: Do not piggy back any current assignments. Only piggy back assignments you haven't participated in.

4. Don't use custom content.
Description: Try creating something amazing in game.
Requirements: No custom content what-so-ever! (Yes, even custom poses.) (Pose player is fine, as long as it's an animation from the base game or any of the expansions.)

5. Gimpify or Shopify a Masterpiece.
Description: Try taking a photo of a bald & Nude (Or in Skivvies) Sim, on a solid background and edit in everything else.
Requirements: Don't add anything to the picture (Including background and make up/tattoos.). Do it all in your editing program.

6. Don't edit me.
Description: No editing what-so-ever. Take your photo in game, and post it without editing.
Requirements: Don't edit anything. (Re-sizing is okay.)

7. Epicify one of THESE poses.
Description: Turn one of those poses into something saucy.
Requirements: Only use one of the poses provided in the link. (Re-sizing is okay.)

8. Go crazy.
Description: If it doesn't ooze awesomeness or insanity, it just won't do!
Requirements: Really lose it. Be weird. Funky colors, nonsense, Just go berserk.

9. Nightmare.
Description: Show me a nightmare. Maybe one you've had, maybe one you imagine, or maybe something real.
Requirements: Don't be afraid to take it to another level.

10. Dream.
Description: Show me a Dream. Maybe one you've had, maybe one you imagine, or maybe something real.
Requirements: Don't be afraid to take it to another level.

11. Comic.
Description: Create a unique comic strip. Take it any direction you wish.
Requirements: 4-10 squares.

12. Close up.
Description: Take an extreme close up a face, and edit in your details. Turn a beautiful sim into an old soul, or make an ugly face into something beautiful. The choice is yours.
Requirements: This must be a close up of a face, and it must be altered in some way.

13. Chubby.
Description: Give a chubby sim a chance to be in the spotlight. Everyone deserves a moment to shine!
Requirements: Max out the weight slider on one of your favorite sims, or a new sim.

14. Romance.
Description: Just make something romantic!
Requirements: Must have at least 1 male and at least 1 female int he photograph. It must have a romantic vibe.

15. Bald and Beautiful.
Description: Hair is overrated. Let's give the bald a chance to show us what they've got!
Requirements: Sim can be any gender, but must be sportin' a nude do.

16. Re-Make.
Description: Pull out one of your older competition entries and try to re-make it with your new and improved skills. It doesn't need to be an exact copy if you don't want, it could just be a twisted/unique/interpretation of the original comp pic.
Requirements: Use only your own work. No one likes copy cats.

2mpk4zk.gif
o8ibmd.png4qonzq.png

34fmi69.pngotdmvb.png

otdmvb.pngotdmvb.png

o0748n.gif
Your Username or Desired Nickname:
Challenge Number:
Raw Before Photo: (Optional | Does not apply to Challenge #6)
Final Photograph:
URL to Full Size (Optional):
Notes [Optional]: [Request Critique from certain Critique Masters, ask for photo to not be critiqued, or add any additional notes including comments on what you did to your photograph, or anything else you can think of.]

2uz6jkp.gif
Challenge Title:
Challenge Description:
Challenge Requirements:
Your Username or Desired Nickname:

t6rm8m.gif

256eg4l.png2rnamiv.png

2urw7s2.pngo9e7lv.png

5babv5.png 25jxq10.png

55sfmf.png wu2wxd.png

1zml5ig.png

Comments

• Options
    CreatureFearSimsCreatureFearSims Posts: 234
    edited March 2012
    reserved JIC
  • Options
    GigglyMeGigglyMe Posts: 1,320
    edited March 2012
    i love this!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    GigglyMe wrote:
    i love this!

Aww thanks. :)
    I hope to see you participate sometime in the future. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    nvm
  • Options
    horsesrox76horsesrox76 Posts: 2,654 New Member
    edited April 2012
    So gonna do this<3
  • Options
    SmileyNatSmileyNat Posts: 380
    edited April 2012

I absolutely love this! I'll be sure to compete sometime in the future :)
  • Options
    Simmersaurus_RexSimmersaurus_Rex Posts: 3,021 New Member
    edited April 2012
    You're astoundingly creative, Evie. This is fantastic. <3
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So gonna do this<3
    Yay! I can't wait. :D:D
    SmileyNat wrote:
    I absolutely love this! I'll be sure to compete sometime in the future :)
    I look forward to it! ;):D
    You're astoundingly creative, Evie. This is fantastic. <3
    Awwwww, thanks Rexy! You're too sweet. I'd love to see you participate some time in the future as well. :P
  • Options
    JKAmaryllisJKAmaryllis Posts: 3,741 Member
    edited April 2012
    I am thinking of participating in one of these challenges. I'd love to apply to be one of the Critique masters but not sure I'd be very good and besides I'm not reliable enough xD
    jz8tDGb.png
    Steam: JKAmaryllis
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I am thinking of participating in one of these challenges. I'd love to apply to be one of the Critique masters but not sure I'd be very good and besides I'm not reliable enough xD

You're definitely good enough! :P
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited April 2012
    Awesome. Excited to see some of the challenges done :)
  • Options
    SimanimsSimanims Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Ooo now to be a contestant...or Critique master....decisions, decisions....
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    if you do the dream challenge, does it have to be YOUR dream?
  • Options
    ArtistByNightArtistByNight Posts: 9,906 Member
    edited April 2012
    Might do challenge 11 :D
    tumblr_static_co0j3up2xkgssgookcsc40g04.gif
  • Options
    ABEERKHANABEERKHAN Posts: 3,204 New Member
    edited April 2012
    I will do Challenge 12. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    workin on this now......i think i'll be doing challenge 11
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Awesome. Excited to see some of the challenges done :)

Me too!
    Simanims wrote:
    Ooo now to be a contestant...or Critique master....decisions, decisions....

You can be both!
    I've accepted your application, and you're still allowed to submit all of the photos you wish. :D:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    GigglyMe wrote:
    if you do the dream challenge, does it have to be YOUR dream?

It can be anything you can think of. There are very few limitations here for each challenge. If think of a dream being a hunky dude, or a fluffy bunny, I don't care. :D:D

Part of what makes this great, is it helps people stretch their imagination to the limit. :D :P
    Might do challenge 11 :D

I can't wait!
    ABEERKHAN wrote:
    I will do Challenge 12. :)

Yay!
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited April 2012
    This looks fantastic Evie! :D
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Your Username or Desired Nickname: Gim
    Challenge Number: 10
    Raw Before Photo: (Optional | Does not apply to Challenge #6):2ug02e9.png
    Final Photograph:2lb2dmu.png
    URL to Full Size (Optional):http://i39.tinypic.com/2lb2dmu.png
    Notes [Optional]: [Request Critique from certain Critique Masters, ask for photo to not be critiqued, or add any additional notes including comments on what you did to your photograph, or anything else you can think of.] I shaded, lens flared, and that's pretty much it ;). It came up with this idea...well i don't exactly know how but i had it pictured in my head. it's not necessarily a go-to-sleep dream, but more of a something you strive for dream.thanks for critiquing!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Update!

We now have 3 critique masters.

3 new challenges have been added to the board.

Aaaaaaaand we now have our very first photo in the gallery!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    This looks fantastic Evie! :D

Thanks! Glad you like it. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    lovin these new challenges :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    GigglyMe wrote:
    Your Username or Desired Nickname: Gim
    Challenge Number: 10
    Raw Before Photo: (Optional | Does not apply to Challenge #6):2ug02e9.png
    Final Photograph:2lb2dmu.png
    URL to Full Size (Optional):http://i39.tinypic.com/2lb2dmu.png
    Notes [Optional]: [Request Critique from certain Critique Masters, ask for photo to not be critiqued, or add any additional notes including comments on what you did to your photograph, or anything else you can think of.] I shaded, lens flared, and that's pretty much it ;). It came up with this idea...well i don't exactly know how but i had it pictured in my head. it's not necessarily a go-to-sleep dream, but more of a something you strive for dream.thanks for critiquing!

This is a very sweet picture. :)
    I think the location of your photograph is really amazing and realistic. Photographers take that extra step to be somewhere amazing in order to get their one perfect shot. So the location is lovely.

I don't particularly see any extremely bright light source that would be the cause of the lens flare, so I would suggest editing a sun somewhere in the sky, or removing it all together. Though it does add that "Photographer Shooting Photographer" feel which is something I'm assuming you were going for.

Overall I'd give you a: ★★★★★★★★★☆

You're overall photo is very simple, but sweet. The shading was lovely, and the added shading over the hills was a lovely touch.

Beautiful photo. :)

It has been added to the gallery. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thank you!
  • Options
    SimanimsSimanims Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited April 2012
    GigglyMe wrote:
    2lb2dmu.png

Gigglyme, Challenge 10
    Critique by Nims,

★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
    6/10

Wow, what a great way to kick off the pictures in this thread! The idea and composition of this picture is beautiful and I can't help but be drawn into the setting. I hope you don't mind but i'm going to be a little picky because overall this pic is awesome. There first thing is your use of blurring, however I suspect it's the burn tool. On certain areas like the mountain ranges there seems to be a dark burry line, when I look back at the unedited picture I actually prefer it and think it looks a lot neater without it. Another very little thing is the use of the dodge tool (again I think you've used it) on her skin, mainly the arm. With both the burn and dodge tool I advise to use with cation, I myself use them all the time and am totally for the use of them XD However always try to think of it subtly, so have them on a very very low exposure (i'd say between 5-12%) and use a small soft brush. But I think it's great you are aiming to pick out light and dark as that's very important to the look of a pic. As I can see you've used lens flare I assume you have photoshop, but as Evie said make sure it comes from a light source even if you draw on a small very blurry white spot to represent the sun (sometimes Gaussian Blur can be best for this). That will just draw together the use of light to bring the picture together (:. One final thing which is more a personal preference, but I kind of dislike the sharp edges you get to terrain in game. I know it's unavoidable, but try using the clone or blur tool very carefully to make the terrain more seamless. But overall I LOVE this picture, it has a real air of wonder and beauty to it. Great job! :mrgreen: