Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anybody successfully renamed the EA rabbit holes for their world?? please help :)

Hi guys

My new world Summer Bay is going to be completely custom content free, however I REALLY want to rename the EA rabbit holes so that I can theme the world appropriately.

I have searched and searched and the only thing I have found that may help at CAW stage is Tygers Sims 3 Neighborhood Workshop but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to use it as it always says " !Error reading DBPF header " when I try to open any files.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as my world is really not going to have the right feel if I leave the names as they are.

Comments

• Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2012
    BobbleBean I've only been able to rename them by getting one of my sims wealthy enough to buy them. Its unfortunately one of those features that should have been included in Create A World from the get go, but never was.
  • Options
    BobbleBeanBobbleBean Posts: 675 Member
    edited January 2012
    Damienf519 wrote:
    BobbleBean I've only been able to rename them by getting one of my sims wealthy enough to buy them. Its unfortunately one of those features that should have been included in Create A World from the get go, but never was.

That's what I'm fearing Damien. Thanks for replying. I'm still hoping someone may have worked out something out somewhere tho. :(
  • Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited January 2012
    When you're editing the town (not in the CAW main window, but the edit town mode), when you select the lot (but don't go in it) on the right side there is a button that says "Edit details" and there you can change the name. At least thats how I used to do it, but its been a while so maybe something changed.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ltd2mp87,

Isn't that just for changing the name of the lot through, not the rabbit holes?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    hold on, i'll check to make sure, but i could have sworn thats how i always did it
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    :shock: Nevermind, I was wrong. I always thought that when I changed the names that way, they changed like that in the game. I never noticed that they remained the same. Sorry :(

• Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2012
    You could try going into edit in game and do this in your cheat console --- type makesim. Then with that sim, type motherlode and then buy the buildings and rename them that way. Not sure if this will work, so back up your world files before you do that.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ltd2mp87 wrote:
    :shock: Nevermind, I was wrong. I always thought that when I changed the names that way, they changed like that in the game. I never noticed that they remained the same. Sorry :(

No big deal. It never worked for me either, and how would that work with multiple rabbit holes on the same lot?
  • Options
    rowanenrowanen Posts: 440
    edited January 2012
    Twallan debug mod does the job ;D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    rowanen wrote:
    Twallan debug mod does the job ;D

Unless I am worng (and I guess I am hoping I am!) Twallan's debug mod only works with and active sim and in CAW/Edit in Game there are no sims so this is not doing the trick either :cry:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    OK, update, thanks to Mik and Rowanen as I have managed to get a 'sim' into my edit in game now. Have found the debug menu and the rabbit hole part of the menu but still trying to work out how to change it! :mrgreen:

An improvement tho!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Another update. I have sucessfully managed to change a rabbit hole name with the combination of the above advice! woohoo!

However when I export the world for testing in the real game the rabbit hole has reverted back to the ea name again. boo! :cry:

Anyone know what it is I am doing wrong??

Also using 'makesim' cheat in EIG, does it save the sim into the world as well?
    I don't want lots of random homeless sims running around the finished world?
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2012
    You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that the rabbithole renames are stored in the savegame, and not in the world file itself. Meaning that you cannot rename the rabbitholes that are present in the world; instead the player must rename them when they start a savegame of the world.

I learnt this the hard way by saving a copy of my rabbithole lots that had the rabbitholes renamed to the library, then placing them into the world in EIG. It did not work, as you have found. To have custom rabbithole names in the world file you must have a custom rabbithole- which is not any good if you are making a CC free world.

For your question about the sim, yes- once you use Makesim in EIG, that sim is in your world permanently. To remove it you will most likely have to use Twallan's Master Controller or Awesomemod to remove it. You may be able to delete the sim itself from the global layer in CAW, but I'm not sure how 'clean' that would be.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited January 2012
    simsample wrote:
    To have custom rabbithole names in the world file you must have a custom rabbithole- which is not any good if you are making a CC free world.

Exactly. I just made a simple custom rabbit hole. I cloned Hogan's Deep Fried Diner, and changed the name to "Marios." I was literally a two minute project. It took the launcher more time to add it to the game than it took me to make it.

Now technically, this is custom content. However, the only thing changed in the file was it's name. I made no other changes. It certainly is not as complex as recoloring a rabbithole -- and there are those here who claim that a recolored rabbithole is not custom content. And I really don't see how this could ever cause problems in someone's game. It's as about as benign as mod as you ever are going to see.

The bottom line is that if you want to change the name of an object, you have to change it's name.

It just goes to show how darn silly this "CC free" nonsense really is.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2012
    You're missing the point though, tjstreak. The reason most people (myself included) wish to keep their worlds CC free, is to ensure that they won't be broken in an update or later EP.

Rabbitholes especialy are subject to frequent updates, which means that if I include custom rabbitholes in my world I will have to be prepared to re-clone them at each new EP, and to provide an updated version of my world (or instructions for users to update).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    moon_kitty4moon_kitty4 Posts: 14
    edited January 2012
    Umm, I not 100% sure (since I haven't tested), but try to use buzzler's rename rabbit hole mod http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=389388. Activate testingcheats and then click on the rabbit hole to rename (Note: the City Hall can't be renamed). DO THIS IN EDIT IN GAME MODE. Hope it helps :)
  • Options
    VanillaTwilight93VanillaTwilight93 Posts: 349 Member
    edited January 2012
    You could use S3PE to change the rabbit hole name, i remember when i was recolouring rabbit holes using that method there was an option to change the name of the rabbit hole. You could follow the same method but just not recolour it. If you then put it into the world files at the end, then it might not count as CC. I made a thread about it a while ago though:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/428138.page
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    You could use S3PE to change the rabbit hole name, i remember when i was recolouring rabbit holes using that method there was an option to change the name of the rabbit hole. You could follow the same method but just not recolour it. If you then put it into the world files at the end, then it might not count as CC. I made a thread about it a while ago though:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/428138.page

Hi Vanilla Twilight

Thanks for this - unfortunately I cannot get s3pe to open the file i need to so I have still had no luck.

It's so frustrating as I am making a world based on a famous tv location so the rabbit hole names were going to need to be changed to the ones in the program or it will make very little sense. :cry:

If anyone has successfully changed the rabbit hole names at CAW stage I would still be very grateful to hear from you!

:?: :shock: :?:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bump! :)

You never know, someone may have an answer during this lazy Sunday afternoon?? I hope so!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    bump.....
  • Options
    JadeNightFireJadeNightFire Posts: 27
    edited January 2012
    I've been working on this same issue. If I have any luck, I'll post my results. I can get some changes to take, but not others. I am thinking that the name is connected to the object (rabbithole) itself, hence the problem. I keep hoping that if I do things in a particular order, say, that it'll work. I know ini files cannot be exported successfully unless they are inserted using S3PE immediately before export and without opening the World file. I keep wondering if similar logic will apply. If it requires me to mod the object, I haven't attempted that before, but might very well try. I expect, however, that modders with knowledge far beyond my own, might have figured this out already.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I've been working on this same issue. If I have any luck, I'll post my results. I can get some changes to take, but not others. I am thinking that the name is connected to the object (rabbithole) itself, hence the problem. I keep hoping that if I do things in a particular order, say, that it'll work. I know ini files cannot be exported successfully unless they are inserted using S3PE immediately before export and without opening the World file. I keep wondering if similar logic will apply. If it requires me to mod the object, I haven't attempted that before, but might very well try. I expect, however, that modders with knowledge far beyond my own, might have figured this out already.

Ok thanks - I would be interested in hearing your progress. If you are successful please provide me with an easy step by step guide! :lol: This whole rabbit hole renaming thing is a bit daunting!

Also I have emailed Inge at MTS to see if they know how to do it as I have seen a couple of posts by them that imply that they have done it so if I get any feed back I will be sure to update here.

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    simsample wrote:
    To have custom rabbithole names in the world file you must have a custom rabbithole- which is not any good if you are making a CC free world.

Exactly. I just made a simple custom rabbit hole. I cloned Hogan's Deep Fried Diner, and changed the name to "Marios." I was literally a two minute project. It took the launcher more time to add it to the game than it took me to make it.

Now technically, this is custom content. However, the only thing changed in the file was it's name. I made no other changes. It certainly is not as complex as recoloring a rabbithole -- and there are those here who claim that a recolored rabbithole is not custom content. And I really don't see how this could ever cause problems in someone's game. It's as about as benign as mod as you ever are going to see.

The bottom line is that if you want to change the name of an object, you have to change it's name.

It just goes to show how darn silly this "CC free" nonsense really is.

Tjstreak,

Its not silly nonsense. CC can cause some serious problems, and if there are bugs involving a particular piece of CC, you can't expect EA to ever fix it for you. You have to track down the person who originally created it, and see if they have done so, or try to talk them into fixing it. That is why I never use CC in my worlds, and I desperately try not to download worlds that do. Whats worse, EA's patches, instead of fixing problems with a particular CC object, might actually cause problems with that object, and agian it won't be reasonable to expect EA to fix it. The game has enough bugs as it is.

Believe me, if CC was problem free, I would use it all the time, especially on my maps. I hate having to use the same objects over and over again.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bump as I am hoping someone may still be able to help????
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited January 2012
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Its not silly nonsense. CC can cause some serious problems, and if there are bugs involving a particular piece of CC, you can't expect EA to ever fix it for you.

Are you making a world? Does it have any children's toys in it? Two years ago, someone made a doll which messed acted like a virus.

Therefore, one can only conclude that including children's objects in your game can cause serious problems.

BTW, custom worlds ARE custom content. So the question is why people want to bork other people's games by uploading custom worlds.

As far as renaming rabbitholes: I have done it. It literally takes ten minutes.

But given the nonsense one finds here, I won't corrupt your game by telling you how to do it.