Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A New Hair Tutorial - by HarryWasHere

WARNING! This is a long read (sorry about that), to fully understand it you should read it all since it is quite complicated without full understanding of what you are doing!

Hi guys! Here is a tutorial that is going to show you how to draw hair using photoshop. This tutorial will take the idea of my last one, but instead this time we will be using the pen tool to try and get a cleaner result, and yes that means no tablets needed! :)

Before we start I want to apologize for my terrible ability to explain things, so if there are any questions ask below.

What you need:
• Photoshop
• A basic understanding of photoshop
• A bald headshot of your sim
• Knowledge of how to use the pen tool
• The brush I made

1. First of all before we do anything you need to know how to use the pen tool so watch this video and practice by yourself to see how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrtyNmp3A4

2. Next you need to download this brush and install it into photoshop using these instructions. You will then find the brush in the brush menu, and it will look like the image below.

Here is the brush download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mh06ds621cp3oid

1.jpg

3. Next you need an in-game screenshot to work with. I’m going to be using the one below (you guys are free to use it for practice). As you can see I have used the bald haircut, this means it will be easy to work with and will let me do any style I wish to do. I have also used a dark brown colour, and this is because it is easier to see where the hairline is so you can get a much more realistic result.

2.jpg
(click for full size)

4. To start off we are going to cut out the sim from the background, there are many methods for this. I have seen many people using Rexy’s method using a green screen. However since this is a bald shot with a clear white background you can easily use the magic wand tool and select the white areas and cut out your sim.

3.jpg

(I have added green layer as a background so that I can clearly see what I am doing with the hair)

5. This next step depends on the hair style. I often like to show one ear in the hairstyles I create, so to make sure no hair goes on top of the ear I usually copy and paste the ear so it is on a separate layer

4.jpg

6. In this next step we are going to get a base shape for the hair. I am going to mess around with the brush tool to get a basic shape that I like, and when I am happy I will use the pen tool and select this shape and fill it in on a new layer to clean it up (to fill in a shape, right click and select 'fill path'), I will then delete the messy brush layer.

I am hoping to create a brunette coloured hair so for the base colour I have gone for this colour

5.jpg

Here is the shape I have gone for:

6.jpg

In this step there is a great advantage to having the sim cut out onto a layer of its own. This makes the line between the body, chin, cheeks really neat. What I did was create a layer below and above the sim.

On the layer below the sim we are going to create a shape that is the outline of the hair, for example:

7.jpg

For the layer above the sim we are going to create the shape of the hair that will cover the head, for example:

8.jpg

And with all the layers turned on, it looks like this:

6.jpg

And here is a screenshot of the layers box to see how I have set it out

9.jpg

7. Before we go onto the next step I’m going to show you how to use the brush that I have created and the ways it can be used to make different effects, so first start by selecting the brush you have just downloaded and then select the pen tool.

In this tutorial we are going to be making a lot of strokes, and this can be done by first creating the shape of the strand you want (you should know how to do this using the video)

10.jpg

Then when the shape has been created you are going to right click and select ‘Stroke Path’

11.jpg

Next an option box will open, make sure ‘brush’ is showing in the drop down menu and then make sure the ‘simulate pressure’ box is checked

12.jpg

After this is done you should get something like this:

13.jpg

Here is a picture showing you what changing the angle can do (The option to change the angle can be found by going to ‘Window, brushes, brush tip shape’)

14.jpg

When you apply this to your hair you should change the angle often so you add variety to the texture.

However when you create strands in places such as the hairline, or where the hair ends etc.

15.jpg

Make sure the angle is always in a position so that the strands end in a point, this will make it much more realistic. For example:

16.jpg

(Note: there is no specific size you should use for the brush since it depends on the picture size, just keep messing around until you get a size that looks right)

8. Now we are going to start by giving the base a much more realistic edge. This is done by using the method in the previous step.

Start off by creating a layer on top of the layer I called ‘Base 1’ (shown above) since we will be working on the outside of the hair first. It is on a new layer so if any mistakes are made it can easily be changed or deleted without ruining any previous work. You also need to use the same colour as the base so that it mixes in with the rest of the hair.

You need to create stokes in a position like this:

17.jpg

Once this has been done all around the hair it should look a little like this

18.jpg

(Note: you should keep doing this until you can no longer see the sharp edge of the base shape, if it helps you can duplicate the layer so it becomes thicker, you may need to do multiple strokes in one area to get a realistic effect)

Make sure you also add some free strands of hair like this so it looks like it flows more, and looks less frizzy

19.jpg

Once you have done this around the whole hair it should look like this

20.jpg

Remember to end the lose hairs in a point!

(Note: The hair should look more lose and spread out near the end than on top so it looks more realistic as it follows the laws of gravity, notice how I haven’t done this effect too much to the top of the hair)

Once you are happy merge down this layer onto ‘Base 1’ so it all becomes one layer. This can be done by selecting ‘layer/ merge down’

9. Now we are going to repeat the process from the previous step except this time its going to be for the layer above the face which I called ‘Base 2’ (shown above). Once this has been completed it should look like this:

21.jpg

(Note: If you are using the ear on an extra layer make sure the strands falling from the hair don’t interfere with the outline of the ear layer so they don’t just randomly disappear. To make it easier you might want to rub out part of the ear so that you have more space on the face to add falling hair strands)

10. Now we have the shape ready we are going to work on the texture of the hair

You need to create a layer on top of the other layers and you are going to select a colour that is darker than the base colour. You are going to then draw lines to show how the hair is going to flow, these are going to be guidelines for when you create the strands.This layer will be deleted later since it creates too much contrast.

It should look like this:

22.jpg

11. Create a new layer on top of the previous one, and then select a colour that is lighter than the colour for the base.

We are then going to create strands like in the previous steps

23.jpg

Repeat this again and again, it is best to work in clumps to help with the flow, for example:

24.jpg

At this point it doesn't matter if some of the strands go onto the sims face from the areas like the cheek, since this will be solved in step 14

I can’t really help you too much in this step since it really depends on what you think looks right. Just remember to follow the guidelines and keep changing the angle of the brush so you create a variety in the texture. (Note: at the hair parting you should make sure the strands end in a point)

Most important thing to remember at this point is to be patient! Yes this is going to be time consuming, but if you take care you will get great results. It will show if you tried to rush it.

Once you have covered the whole hair area it should look a bit like this

25.jpg

Next I’m deleting guidelines layer to get rid of the contrast

26.jpg

12. This step is almost exactly the same as the previous one however the changes involve a lighter colour, and making sure it is less concentrated as the last one (it doesn’t cover as much space as the previous layer)

Here is an example of what I am talking about

27.jpg

Here is the layer on its own to show it is covering less space

28.jpg

And here is what it looks like over the whole hair

29.jpg

13. Now we are going to repeat the last step again except now with an even lighter colour and even less space. Once this is done it should look like this

30.jpg

By building up the layers we are creating more depth

14. In this step we are going to try and get the hair onto just one layer so we can easily edit it.

To get the hair onto one layer you need to follow my instructions exactly! You also need to have the layer window open for this to work (Window, layers)

1. Holding ‘Shift’ select every layer (excluding the green background sim and ear layers)

2. Once all the layers are selected go to ‘Layer/ duplicate layers’

3. Then go to ‘Layer/ merge layers’

4. This will create a new layer, name it ‘final hair’

5. Hold down ‘ctrl’

6. Click on the thumbnail of the lower base layer (Base 1) behind the sim

7. Then hold down ‘ctrl’ and ‘alt’

8. Click on the thumbnail of the sim layer (and ear layer if used)

9. Then hold down ‘shift’ and ‘ctrl’

10. Click on the thumbnail of base layer above the sim (Base 2)

(This should make a selection of the hair you want to keep)

11. Now with the ‘final hair’ layer selected click the mask button at the bottom of the layers window

1.jpg

12. Hide all the previous layers so that these are the only layers that can be seen: The green background layer, the sim layer (ear layer if used), the ‘final hair’ layer

Now this has been done you should be able to edit the hair easily

13. If you see any green gaps between the sim and the hair select a dark colour and fill in those gaps in a layer behind the sim layer

15. This step is optional. I am usually never happy with the colour of the hair so to change it I go to ‘Image/ adjustments’ and use both ‘Hue/ Saturation’ and ‘Colour balance’

Here is what it looks like afterwards

31.jpg

16. In this step we will be adding the shadows and highlights to the hair. Usually I would use the dodge and burn tool, but for this tutorial it makes the colours look weird, so instead I have decided to use a different method:

1. I duplicate the hair layer two times so there are three versions of the hair layer

2. Then with one of the hair layers I go to ‘Image/ adjustments/ ‘brightness/contrast’ and make this layer lighter

3. I then chose another layer and follow the previous step, except this time I make it darker

4. Next on each layer I rub out the areas so that light is only applied where I think it should be, and so that darkness is applied where I think it should be

Here is what the layers look like:

Light:
32.jpg

Dark:
33.jpg

With all the hair layers merged together it looks like this:

34.jpg

17. This step will add a last bit of realism as we are going to try and add shadow to the sim

I have chosen this colour

35.jpg

Using the brush tool on a new layer between the hair and sim layer draw where you think shadows would be on the sim using the colour shown above.

For example:

36.jpg

Then lower the opacity of the shadow so it looks realistic

37.jpg

18. In this last step do whatever you want to finish your picture. In my picture I added a background and added a faint filter to get this final result.

38.jpg

I really hope you found this tutorial helpful, I understand it is long and complicated which is why you are free to ask me any questions, and please do show me what you guys can do :)

Good luck with your pictures! :D

*! If the Brush does not work or cannot be used in photoshop!*

I cannot guarantee this will work depending on what version of photoshop you have, but I can help you make the brush yourself.

1. Firstly load this image into photoshop

brush.jpg

2. Select the whole image (this can be done by holding down 'ctrl' and 'a')

3. Follow step 6 of these instructions (Ignore the beginning bit)

4. Finally whenever you use the brush make sure that 'spacing' is at 1% (this option can be found by going to Window/ Brushes/ Brush Tip Shape, and it will be found at the bottom of the brush window)

!Please Do NOT Quote This Post!

Comments

• Options
    MzDiamond92MzDiamond92 Posts: 466 Member
    edited July 2011
    *faints* I'm in love!

I'm off to learn this method now! :D

37039261832_f4a10910ef_o.png
    | My Tumblr |
  • Options
    horsesrox76horsesrox76 Posts: 2,654 New Member
    edited July 2011
    have to try!
  • Options
    OceanSaphireOceanSaphire Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited July 2011
    I need to try this
  • Options
    CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited July 2011
    LOL Finally! :lol: I use the pen tool occasionally (not nearly as much as I should, it's intimidating), so this should be excellent practice. I think I might actually give this a go!

Thanks a million Harry! <333
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited July 2011
    Thanks guys! I hope this is easy enough to understand :)

@ Cele :lol: took a lot of time to make, almost gave up at one point

Anyway I'm glad this is helpful :)
  • Options
    pixie30pixie30 Posts: 6,039 Member
    edited July 2011
    Finally a hair tutorial I can do without needing a tablet to make it look good ^_^
    thanks harry i will give this a shot :3
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No problem, this whole method came up because I'd lost my tablet so it should be helpful to lots of people, and hopefully should help people use the pen tool a lot more because it brings so many possibilities to photoshop :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    thanks :33 haha you should do a clothing tut when you get tablet back :P
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I doubt I will get my tablet back for a long time, I lost it around half a year ago and I'm trying to save my money so I'm not up for buying another one.

For clothes tutorials I think Jillie is person to talk to about it. When I do clothes I mess about for ages trying to get it to look right, but from what I have seen from Jillie, she has got it perfect.
  • Options
    PuggyUKPuggyUK Posts: 773 Member
    edited July 2011
    thanks so much gona try this now
  • Options
    twilight714twilight714 Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2011
    Eeeep! It's here! Though I highly doubt I can do it as good as you, it's worth a try right? :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well practice makes perfect :)
  • Options
    imameerkatimameerkat Posts: 1,581 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Wow O_O This is amazing! You are seriously talented :)
  • Options
    SweetBabySweetBaby Posts: 662 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for this Harry! I gave it a quick (well, this took me longer than it looks like it took me) try with a very simple hairstyle... because I've never really used the pen tool before.

badhairdrawing.png"width=700"
    I can point out many flaws... Ima try again later and hopefully next try won't look so crappy :P
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well I can honestly say for a first try that is excellent! The texture of the hair is brilliant, but as you said its really only the shape that needs a bit of work, plus the bits behind the sim could do with being a little darker.

But keep working at it, because I'm sure in no time it will start looking amazing :)

@imameerkat thank you
  • Options
    aim674aim674 Posts: 1,400 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Wow!!

Your soo good!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    thank you :)
  • Options
    aim674aim674 Posts: 1,400 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Welcome!
  • Options
    jilliebee22jilliebee22 Posts: 2,223 Member
    edited July 2011
    I doubt I will get my tablet back for a long time, I lost it around half a year ago and I'm trying to save my money so I'm not up for buying another one.

For clothes tutorials I think Jillie is person to talk to about it. When I do clothes I mess about for ages trying to get it to look right, but from what I have seen from Jillie, she has got it perfect.

:3 Wow thanks Harry! I think I still need a lot of practice with drawing clothes. LOL
    This is seriously such an amazing tutorial! I never would have thought about doing that. The end result is simply amazing! I think I'm going to have to try this out, just to see how much easier it is to get the desired look.
    ❤Come say Hi to me on Twitter
    ♔ download my sims 4 poses on my tumblr account
    BeeSims-Discord.png
  • Options
    awesome_phoebeawesome_phoebe Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited July 2011
    I can't wait to try this :)
  • Options
    SweetBabySweetBaby Posts: 662 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Try #2 :mrgreen:

hairdrawing2.png"width=680"

A little better. Already getting used to the pen tool... My hand hurts now :P

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    i have ried but ic ant work out making the strand part XD
  • Options
    chocchikcookie12chocchikcookie12 Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited July 2011
    Wow Harry! WOW.
    I need to try this out :D and I will
  • Options
    awesome_phoebeawesome_phoebe Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited July 2011
    My first attempt:
    harryhairedit-1.png
    Sorry that I used your picture Harry, I didn't have any good ones of my own to edit :/

I know I stuffed up a bit but I'm pretty happy with it.
  • Options
    twilight714twilight714 Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2011
    :shock: PHOEBE! THAT'S BEAUTIFUL! Okay, I seriously need to try this! Everyone's "attempts" are gorgeous!