March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*How to build an Apartment - In 8 steps* (Deconstruction Method)

lovingredslovingreds Posts: 1,920 New Member
Hiya guys, :D after spending the last few weeks trying to find a picture tutorial, on how to do build an apartment, I finally figured it out and wanted to share it, with a step by step picture guide. I want to see more Apartments on the exchange!

Type-Step1.png

Type-Step2.png

Type-Step2aandb.png
Type-Step2c.png

Type-Step3.png

Type-Step3b.png

Type-Step3bcontinued.png

Type-Step4continued.png

Type-Step5.png

Step5A.png

Type-Step5b.png

Type-Step5bcontinued.png

Type-Step6.png

Type-Step7.png

Type-Step7continued.png

Type-Step7a.png

Type-Step7b.png

Type-Step7c.png

Type-Step8.png

Type-Step8meetingneightbours.png

Type-Step8finishbuilding.png

Quick note
There are other methods/tutorial to build an apartment:

If you want the mailbox without downloading a mod click here:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/369917.page

If you want to build a house apartment using the regular post box click here:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/337126.page#45919

Comments

• TateSaundersTateSaunders Posts: 997 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Ty that is a great idea, and those apartments are to tiny I think, if you have a family or more than one sim your moving in, so be great to make my own :).
  • lovingredslovingreds Posts: 1,920 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Ty that is a great idea, and those apartments are to tiny I think, if you have a family or more than one sim your moving in, so be great to make my own :).

Thank you, I love TS3 skyscrapers, but they simply don't fit into every neighbourhood,Also the style does not suite every style of building.
  • nkuhlwindnkuhlwind Posts: 94 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Thanks lovingreds!! I have made some townhouses that seem to work as apartments using the hidden room and public markers but I couldn't find the apartment mailbox-I think maybe it was an unintentional omission by EA.
    I think that you can use any door as long as you put the hidden room markers in the NPC apartments.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,987 Member
    edited April 2011
    Lovingreds,

I've made my own apartments after deleting everything except the apartment mailbox, than I've set some of the doors I added to NPC doors. If you want a door to be an NPC door, all you have to do is make sure one side of it is facing a room with a public room marker and the other is facing a room with a hidden room marker. Than enter testing cheats enabled and shift click on the doors you want your NPCs to live in. However you can't have and NPC door facing the outside. Both sides of it much always be facing a room or a fenced in area, which does limit apartment building design for the game.
    edited April 2011

TateSaunders,

You might love Justinburg than, since most of the playable apartments are going to be for more than one sim, specifically small families, with one or two children. Some of them are even going to have three bedrooms, and will still be cheep enough to function as a "starter house," for your sims.
    edited April 2011
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Lovingreds,

I've made my own apartments after deleting everything except the apartment mailbox, than I've set some of the doors I added to NPC doors. If you want a door to be an NPC door, all you have to do is make sure one side of it is facing a room with a public room marker and the other is facing a room with a hidden room marker. Than enter testing cheats enabled and shift click on the doors you want your NPCs to live in. However you can't have and NPC door facing the outside. Both sides of it much always be facing a room or a fenced in area, which does limit apartment building design for the game.

Hi Damien, Thanks for this feedback , I will test this method and see if it works.
    edited April 2011
    Lovingreds,

You're Welcome. I hope you don't have too much trouble. You can also save the empty lot with just the apartment mailbox to you library. That way, you'll always have access to it, and you won't have to destroy the same building over and over again. Instead you could just place the lot with the apartment mailbox on empty residential lots, and it will replace the regular mailbox with the apartment mailbox. Keep in mind through that you will need to save a small piece of the wall for apartment mailbox. deleting the piece of wall the apartment mailbox is attached to, without moving it to another piece of wall first, destroys the mailbox, and you won't be able to get it back by undoing the action.
    edited April 2011
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Lovingreds,

You're Welcome. I hope you don't have too much trouble. You can also save the empty lot with just the apartment mailbox to you library. That way, you'll always have access to it, and you won't have to destroy the same building over and over again. Instead you could just place the lot with the apartment mailbox on empty residential lots, and it will replace the regular mailbox with the apartment mailbox. Keep in mind through that you will need to save a small piece of the wall for apartment mailbox. deleting the piece of wall the apartment mailbox is attached to, without moving it to another piece of wall first, destroys the mailbox, and you won't be able to get it back by undoing the action.

I understand what you mean, i haven't had time to test this method as yet. I have created to blank templates from the Floodgate and Brownstone , where I 've deleted everything except the essentials, so much toeasier that knocking down each time. (I added this to step 3b.)
  • werewolfsimwerewolfsim Posts: 327 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I used this to make an apartment building for my Two sims and there child. Thanks for posting this guide, it is really helpful!
  • kdluvshersimskdluvshersims Posts: 291 Member
    edited April 2011
    Thank You for posting this info! It's very helpful for those of us who are mod "challenged."

KD
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited April 2011
    Mr. Crumblebottom done one a while ago which was also usefull lol

Its good people make tutorials as EA\dont seem able to make some themselves
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Perfect tutorial, very easy to understand, I've bookmarked for later use. :D
    edited May 2011
    Stw402 wrote:
    Perfect tutorial, very easy to understand, I've bookmarked for later use. :D

Thank you , always trying to help. :D
  • DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
    edited May 2011
    Brilliant tutorial. Very clear instructions and pics etc. Will definitely give this a whirl today. I didn't realise the above was possible. Great job :D
  • OmamemmieOmamemmie Posts: 28 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you very much for this, I really can't wait to try this. One question though, I want to build a small appartment on a 20x30 lot. Does anyone know how I could manage that? Cause with this method, the smallest lot to build on will always be 36x29.
    edited May 2011
    Omamemmie wrote:
    Thank you very much for this, I really can't wait to try this. One question though, I want to build a small appartment on a 20x30 lot. Does anyone know how I could manage that? Cause with this method, the smallest lot to build on will always be 36x29.

Yes! this is the deconstruction method , so you can keep the orginal apartment post box, but there is another method , and is sutiable for smaller apartment lots.Please see the step by step photos in the link is below:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/337126.page#4591926

Also, there is a mod/hack which makes the mailbox available in buybug mode, I think it is from the TRS site.

• renasarenasa Posts: 156
    edited May 2011
    Did not quite get what this does to mailbox :shock: :cry: :?
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited May 2011
    Great tutorial, lovingreds! Well done. :)

If you don't want to have the unlocked mailbox mod in your game, there is another method you can use by downloading some lots which have the apartment items already on them:
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
    edited July 2011
    simsample wrote:
    Great tutorial, lovingreds! Well done. :)

If you don't want to have the unlocked mailbox mod in your game, there is another method you can use by downloading some lots which have the apartment items already on them:

This is very very useful !!!

very Thank you I will put this on the front page
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited July 2011
    I thought for sure I had already listed this, but sure enough, I hadn't. :oops:

Thanks for reminding me. :mrgreen:
    edited July 2011
    I thought for sure I had already listed this, but sure enough, I hadn't. :oops:

Thanks for reminding me. :mrgreen:

Oh no worries!
  • toelocmoontoelocmoon Posts: 277
    edited August 2011
    Hellow dose it rwquer a certen ep pack or sp pack
  • kmcekmce Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited August 2011
    it wont allow me to put the balls in the elevators
    edited August 2011
    umm slight problem, what happends if you have already deleted the NPC doors :shock:
    edited August 2011
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Lovingreds,

How do you click on the door, do you have to be in live mood or during edit town, every time i click it i just pick up the door lol