Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smeelia's Guide To Tomb Building

Someone recently suggested that I could create some Tomb Building Tutorials using the "Create a Story" function on the site here and I thought it was worth a try. Here is the link for the first tutorial:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=262768
A guide to the basics of Tomb Building to get you started.

Any comments, constructive criticism, corrections and suggestions are welcome.
I'll also consider ideas for the content of future tutorials, I'm currently thinking of doing tutorials on a few of the main objects and what you can do with them but there are a lot of possibilities so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to cover everything in a sensible order :).

Comments

• Options
    DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2010
    Very nice intro to a rather complex endeavor, Smeelia!

• Options
    mhoblermhobler Posts: 299 Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for this, I never actually looked into Tomb Building because it looked excessively complicated, but I might try it now. I would definately be interested in seeing more tutorials on other aspects.
  • Options
    CloudwalkerNZCloudwalkerNZ Posts: 1,343 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Great stuff Smeelia.

Thanks for all the helps you have given before. I finally manage to complete a couple of tombs. Here is my latest : http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3156408 Hehe a bit of shameless self promotion there hope you don't mind :wink:

As to your tutorial the only comment I can made is the title. Instead of calling it basic tomb building which is a non-descriptive title perhaps you should call it Tomb building Triggers and objects guide. As I understand it you are trying to show how to link a trigger (foot plate) to a door (object). :D

Once again thanks for all the helps in this forum and I look forward to more tutorial from you. Perhaps you going to do one for the computer soon? :wink:
  • Options
    SmeeliaSmeelia Posts: 2,334 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Thank you all for the comments :).
    Thanks for all the helps you have given before. I finally manage to complete a couple of tombs. Here is my latest : http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3156408 Hehe a bit of shameless self promotion there hope you don't mind :wink:

That's okay, it can help show people what they can do with the tools and hopefully inspire them to give it a go. The point of the tutorials is to help and inspire after all :). I haven't uploaded any proper tombs myself, I tend to spend most of my time experimenting rather than actually finishing a tomb so it's good to have examples :).
    As to your tutorial the only comment I can made is the title. Instead of calling it basic tomb building which is a non-descriptive title perhaps you should call it Tomb building Triggers and objects guide. As I understand it you are trying to show how to link a trigger (foot plate) to a door (object). :D

Well the point of the first tutorial is really just to introduce the basic ideas of linking and ctrl+shift+clicking so I thought basics was okay but "Triggers and Objects" or something similar could work. It doesn't help that the character limit for titles is 40 and "Smeelia's Guide To Tomb Building" takes up 32 of them :). I might go for an abbreviation (SGTTB) then a more descriptive title in future with the full title in the description (so "SGTTB - The Processor"). I'm just a little concerned that it'll make it harder to search for, that's partly why I thought I'd have this post as a kind of "index". I'm open to any suggestions for the best way to lay out the title though, I'd like to keep it standardised with at least part of the name being consistent for easier searching.
    Once again thanks for all the helps in this forum and I look forward to more tutorial from you. Perhaps you going to do one for the computer soon? :wink:

I'm always happy to help :). If the tutorials are successful then I probably will do one on the Processor at some point, it has a lot of features though so I could probably do several tutorials on it to cover each feature :). Let me know if you had something specific in mind and I might start with that to see how I get on.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi Smeelia...great tutorial btw.

One question...in a tomb in WA, after sim opens hidden door by stepping on trigger, the door opens but the trigger is still green, like it been "used." Does this happen when a tomb is made at home? If it does, is there an option to close the door, and if so, does it reset the switch back to "unused?"

Lord, I hope this makes sense. :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    bshag4lv wrote:

Thank you :).
    bshag4lv wrote:
    One question...in a tomb in WA, after sim opens hidden door by stepping on trigger, the door opens but the trigger is still green, like it been "used." Does this happen when a tomb is made at home? If it does, is there an option to close the door, and if so, does it reset the switch back to "unused?"

This is why I'll probably end up doing a tutorial for some of the main objects/options :).

By default Floor Switches are sort of set to be "one use" so they go "green" as you mention and can't be used again if you only have the "Step On" trigger used. If I remember correctly (I don't have the game infront of me to check), as soon as you assign something to be triggered by the "Step Off" option the switch will know to go "blue" when it has something on it (sim or statue) and be re-usable (sims will also stay on until told to get off). I find the easiest option is to just ctrl+shift+click on the Floor Switch and select "Link Triggers..." then "Step Off" and then ctrl+shift+click on the Floor Switch again and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then "Reset", if you do this in your example above the switch will be re-useable but the door will stay open when your sim steps off of the switch (of course you can set the "Step Off" trigger to also close the door if you want).

As for the door itself, you can set it to close when a sim walks through by selecting the "Turn Autoshut On" option when ctrl+shift+clicking it (note that "Walk Through" is also a trigger option, if you want something else to happen when a sim goes through). In a home you can just click on the door in Live Mode and you'll get a "Close" option, I think this might also work in Tombs but I'm not sure. If a door isn't told to close either by using one of those options or a trigger then it should stay open forever, which may not be exactly what you want. I suppose you could set up a Processor to close the door a certain time after it has been opened (with the countdown triggered by the same thing that opens the door), I could do a step-by-step on how to do that (if it's possible) later if you like. There are a few other options for auto-closing the door using other triggers as well.

To summarise the response to your actual question (sorry about going on a bit :)):

Closing the door is easy enough but wont automatically reset the switch so you'll need to set the switch up to reset itself (as above) if you want to use it more than once.

The "Torch Lever" is a good option for secret doors that you want to close a lot because they can always be re-used so it's a nice simple option.

I hope that helps, sorry if it's a bit all over the place :). I can do some checking for accuracy later when I have the game infront of me :).

Edit: I did some checking, I think the above is all okay :).

If you're using Floor Switches and you set "Step Off" to "Reset" the Floor Switch, there seems to be an issue with using statues to activate the switch where the switch will lock itself "on" (the "blue" colour) when you push the statue off. For some reason this only seems to happen if the statue goes right onto the middle of the switch and only if the "Step Off" trigger is set to "Reset" so a good option is to instead set "Step Off" to make the switch "Appear" (it wont do anything if the switch is already visible anyway and it allows it to be re-used without problems).

With Secret Doors, you can indeed choose to "Close" them with a click in Live Mode even in tombs but if you select the "Lock" option with a ctrl+shift+click (in Build/Buy Mode as normal) then the door can't be closed using the "Close" option in Live Mode (even at home) and it can't be pushed open either. Secret Doors at home will still get the "Turn Autoshut On" option in Live Mode but it doesn't seem to affect Secret Doors that you've chosen to "Lock".

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask and I'll try to explain it better (these posts of mine always seem to end up longer than I intended) :).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for your answer so quickly. :D (Going to bookmark your thread so I can find it later.)

So, if I'm understanding you right, each time you ctrl+shift+click and choose an action, that will bring up another set of options...which in this case is to reset a floor switch to make it usable again. I have a hidden door in a home now that is protecting loot for this family but after using the switch to get in, the door is staying open, hence the switch is staying green. I suppose that there is also an option to have the sim push open the door themselves, like in foreign locales, which I like also. This is going to take some experimenting on my part. :lol:

How clever! Thanks again. I'll be back. :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    pugger64pugger64 Posts: 1,295
    edited September 2010
    If I upload my tomb to the exchange will it automatically reset all the treasures, secrete objects, mummies, and switches, or do I have to reset everything myself?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    bshag4lv wrote:
    Thank you for your answer so quickly. :D (Going to bookmark your thread so I can find it later.)

So, if I'm understanding you right, each time you ctrl+shift+click and choose an action, that will bring up another set of options...which in this case is to reset a floor switch to make it usable again. I have a hidden door in a home now that is protecting loot for this family but after using the switch to get in, the door is staying open, hence the switch is staying green. I suppose that there is also an option to have the sim push open the door themselves, like in foreign locales, which I like also. This is going to take some experimenting on my part. :lol:

How clever! Thanks again. I'll be back. :lol:

You're welcome and I hope you are understanding right anyway :). Hopefully it'll all make sense when you try it in the game and you can come up with something you like, just ask if you need anything else :).
    pugger64 wrote:
    If I upload my tomb to the exchange will it automatically reset all the treasures, secrete objects, mummies, and switches, or do I have to reset everything myself?

I know you've seen it already but I thought I'd link to your thread just incase anyone else is interested in the answer (which I hope is accurate, or hope isn't accurate depending on how you look at it) :):

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/267790.page
  • Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited September 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    bshag4lv wrote:

bshag4lv wrote:

This is why I'll probably end up doing a tutorial for some of the main objects/options :).

By default Floor Switches are sort of set to be "one use" so they go "green" as you mention and can't be used again if you only have the "Step On" trigger used. If I remember correctly (I don't have the game infront of me to check), as soon as you assign something to be triggered by the "Step Off" option the switch will know to go "blue" when it has something on it (sim or statue) and be re-usable (sims will also stay on until told to get off). I find the easiest option is to just ctrl+shift+click on the Floor Switch and select "Link Triggers..." then "Step Off" and then ctrl+shift+click on the Floor Switch again and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then "Reset", if you do this in your example above the switch will be re-useable but the door will stay open when your sim steps off of the switch (of course you can set the "Step Off" trigger to also close the door if you want).

As for the door itself, you can set it to close when a sim walks through by selecting the "Turn Autoshut On" option when ctrl+shift+clicking it (note that "Walk Through" is also a trigger option, if you want something else to happen when a sim goes through). In a home you can just click on the door in Live Mode and you'll get a "Close" option, I think this might also work in Tombs but I'm not sure. If a door isn't told to close either by using one of those options or a trigger then it should stay open forever, which may not be exactly what you want. I suppose you could set up a Processor to close the door a certain time after it has been opened (with the countdown triggered by the same thing that opens the door), I could do a step-by-step on how to do that (if it's possible) later if you like. There are a few other options for auto-closing the door using other triggers as well.

To summarise the response to your actual question (sorry about going on a bit :)):

Closing the door is easy enough but wont automatically reset the switch so you'll need to set the switch up to reset itself (as above) if you want to use it more than once.

The "Torch Lever" is a good option for secret doors that you want to close a lot because they can always be re-used so it's a nice simple option.

I hope that helps, sorry if it's a bit all over the place :). I can do some checking for accuracy later when I have the game infront of me :).

Edit: I did some checking, I think the above is all okay :).

If you're using Floor Switches and you set "Step Off" to "Reset" the Floor Switch, there seems to be an issue with using statues to activate the switch where the switch will lock itself "on" (the "blue" colour) when you push the statue off. For some reason this only seems to happen if the statue goes right onto the middle of the switch and only if the "Step Off" trigger is set to "Reset" so a good option is to instead set "Step Off" to make the switch "Appear" (it wont do anything if the switch is already visible anyway and it allows it to be re-used without problems).

With Secret Doors, you can indeed choose to "Close" them with a click in Live Mode even in tombs but if you select the "Lock" option with a ctrl+shift+click (in Build/Buy Mode as normal) then the door can't be closed using the "Close" option in Live Mode (even at home) and it can't be pushed open either. Secret Doors at home will still get the "Turn Autoshut On" option in Live Mode but it doesn't seem to affect Secret Doors that you've chosen to "Lock".

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask and I'll try to explain it better (these posts of mine always seem to end up longer than I intended) :).

Smeelia, thanks for the guide..
    You always have the best answer :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Thank you all for the comments :).

I'm always happy to help :). If the tutorials are successful then I probably will do one on the Processor at some point, it has a lot of features though so I could probably do several tutorials on it to cover each feature :). Let me know if you had something specific in mind and I might start with that to see how I get on.

Hehe :D Actually yes. I am still trying to master the computer. I am making a Halloween Special tomb and plan to use the computer for some of the special effects and puzzles. My problem with it is follow:

1) It is very confusing to link triggers to computer to objects to sequence thing to happen. So far I have very little luck doing it. The effect I was looking for is: Walk in room, trigger on hidden plat, fire slowly approach from the fire place to the sim. This mean delay firing of trap from the furtherest to the one the sim stand on.

2) Linkage for the Boolean function on the computer. Example sim need to pull the touch then jump of a floor plate then move statues to open door. Any wrong sequence will reset the trap and the sim will have to start again.

I know this is pretty advance stuff and as a result I have fond nothing on the web on it. If you can help that will be great :lol:

Thanks for all your help in advance. :-)
  • Options
    pugger64pugger64 Posts: 1,295
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for posting this! I made a tomb!"Queen Tutanrah's Tomb" http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3160983
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Valgon57 wrote:

Thank you, I'd say it's more like I throw a lot of answers at people and hope one sticks really :).
    pugger64 wrote:
    Thank you for posting this! I made a tomb!"Queen Tutanrah's Tomb" http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3160983

I'm always happy to see more tombs around :). Unfortunately I don't get much chance to actually test them (I don't do well with exchange downloads).
    Hehe :D Actually yes. I am still trying to master the computer. I am making a Halloween Special tomb and plan to use the computer for some of the special effects and puzzles. My problem with it is follow:

1) It is very confusing to link triggers to computer to objects to sequence thing to happen. So far I have very little luck doing it. The effect I was looking for is: Walk in room, trigger on hidden plat, fire slowly approach from the fire place to the sim. This mean delay firing of trap from the furtherest to the one the sim stand on.

2) Linkage for the Boolean function on the computer. Example sim need to pull the touch then jump of a floor plate then move statues to open door. Any wrong sequence will reset the trap and the sim will have to start again.

I know this is pretty advance stuff and as a result I have fond nothing on the web on it. If you can help that will be great :lol:

Thanks for all your help in advance. :-)

Hopefully words will suffice because I don't have pictures :). I was going to cover more side details but the post was getting far too long (it's still quite long) so I'll just stick to the main points for the most part and if you have problems or more questions you can just ask :).

I'm guessing you mean the "Hidden Trigger Panel" (the green box thing), the only problem I can see with using that is that it constantly triggers as long as a sim is standing in the area and that could result in the pattern of fire repeating constantly. As long as you only want the pattern to happen constantly after triggering or while a sim is in the area (it might be possible to set it to only ever happen once as well, I'll cover that later) then it should be okay, it's a shame there's not a function to disable the "Hidden Trigger Panel" because it's a useful object with an annoying limitation as it is now.

I'm not sure if you want the fire traps to be purely decorative or dangerous (a kind of timed trap) but it should be easy enough to adjust the process for either :).

Anyway, you've got the door and then the Hidden Trigger Switch and then some Floor/Wall Traps (presumably either alongside the path or on it) and you should place a Processor somewhere handy (remember it's invisible and can be walked through in Live Mode so it doesn't matter where it is really).

Okay, on to using the Processor :). First ctrl+shift+click the Processor and choose "Set Logic Mode..." then select "Cycle (Crawling Ants)" (this is the best mode for sequences, well I think it is :)) and then ctrl+shift+click the Processor again and select "Set Clock Mode..." then "Disabled (Disarmed)".

You can set up the timings now if you like as well (or just leave them at default), to do that ctrl+shift+click the Processor and select "Set Clock Period" and you can then choose the time between (let's say) "actions" (in this case, making each trap fire) in Sim Seconds (so 60 is a real second, this is also the default setting). There's also an option called "Set Clock Jitter", this basically adds a random element to the timing and is also in Sim Seconds (so if you set the Clock to 120 and the Jitter to 60 then the wait between "actions" will be any amount of time between 1 and 3 seconds), I usually leave the Jitter option at 0 because I like absolute timings for most things.

You might as well set the Hidden Trigger Switch to be ready to activate the Processor, to do this just ctrl+shift+click on the Hidden Trigger Switch and select "Link Triggers..." then "Hidden Switch" and then ctrl+shift+click on the Processor and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then "Arm" (you will probably have to click "More..." once before you see the "Arm" option).

With the Processor set up as above we can start setting up the sequence. If you ctrl+shift+click on the Processor and choose "Link Triggers..." you'll see there are a lot of options marked "Out #" (0-7), basically the way it works is that "Out 0" occurs when the Processor is activated (with the "Arm" option) and then it waits for the "Clock Period" (affected by "Clock Jitter" as mentioned above) and then uses "Out 1" then it does the same for the rest. You can skip any "Out #" if you like and the Processor will still go through it, so if you have the "Clock Period" set at the default 60 (which is 1 second) you can have something happen on "Out 0" then skip "Out 1" and have something happen with "Out 2" and the result will be that there'll be a two second wait between the first thing happening ("Out 0") and the second event ("Out 2"), I hope that makes sense :).

Anyway, ctrl+shift+click on the Processor and select "Link Triggers..." then "Out 0" (or whatever you want to start with) then ctrl+shift+click on the Trap and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then whichever option is the most appropriate, probably "Set To Fire" (which will make it fire constantly) or "Fire Once". Then you basically do the same for each trap in order, the second trap to go off could be "Out 1", the third could be "Out 2" and so on (or you can alter the timings as above).

By default the Processor will just keep going through every "Out #" and then it'll start again from "Out 0" after it has done "Out 7" and just keep going. The best way to get it to stop it (if you want to do that) is to ctrl+shift+click on the Processor and select "Link Triggers..." then "Out 7" (or the lowest "Out #" that doesn't do anything, you could also use the last one that does something without problems) and then ctrl+shift+click the Processor again and select "Link To Activated Behaviour" and then "Reset" (you could also use "Destroy", "Reset" sets it to start from "Out 0" again if activated with "Arm" while "Destroy" just stops it and it'll start from where it was if activated again).

With the present set up (including the reset option above) the sequence will be triggered when a sim is standing in the green area of the Hidden Trigger Switch and will continually restart itself as long as a sim stays there (without the reset it'll continually go through the sequence from the first time a sim enters the green area onwards even after they've left). If you want it to trigger once and only once I found a way to do that (it may be needlessly complicated but it works and it's not much work :)). First ctrl+shift+click the Hidden Trigger Switch and select "Clear all links to and from this object" (so it's no longer set to "Arm" the Processor). Next place a new Processor next to the old one then ctrl+shift+click the Hidden Trigger Switch and select "Link Triggers..." then "Hidden Switch" and then ctrl+shift+click the new Processor and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then "In 0". Now ctrl+shift+click the new Processor and select "Link Triggers..." then "Out 0" and then ctrl+shift+click the old Processor and select "Link To Activated Behaviour..." then "Arm" as before. Basically the new Processor should only ever trigger once (although you could actually set it up to reset under certain conditions if you wanted) so it'll act as an "interrupt" to stop the Hidden Trigger Switch from constantly running the sequence.

I think that's everything, let me know if it's not working or if I missed anything important :).

I'll get back to you on point 2, I'll have to test to see how that works (I think you might need at least two or three processors, it's fairly easy to have a specific set of switches as a combination but it's a little more complicated to make sure they're activated in a certain order).
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for your quick reply Smeelia :D

I have begin to do some try and error myself on the processor and left some of my note on exchange.

I will see if I can follow your advise tomorrow night. I was really look for a horror movie effect. Where a flame move slowly toward you.

As to the second part I was trying to create a few puzzles that require a bit more than point and click. But I am not sure now there is a lot of demand for more complex puzzle in Sim 3. So if I can't get that done it is no big issue.

Once again thank for all you help :-)
  • Options
    cyberlucy1965cyberlucy1965 Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Someone recently suggested that I could create some Tomb Building Tutorials using the "Create a Story" function on the site here and I thought it was worth a try. Here is the link for the first tutorial:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=262768
    A guide to the basics of Tomb Building to get you started.

Any comments, constructive criticism, corrections and suggestions are welcome.
    I'll also consider ideas for the content of future tutorials, I'm currently thinking of doing tutorials on a few of the main objects and what you can do with them but there are a lot of possibilities so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to cover everything in a sensible order :).
    Very Cool! It is a lot of help. I like the pictures being in there so that you can see things.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Very Cool! It is a lot of help. I like the pictures being in there so that you can see things.

Thanks for your quick reply Smeelia :D

I have begin to do some try and error myself on the processor and left some of my note on exchange.

I will see if I can follow your advise tomorrow night. I was really look for a horror movie effect. Where a flame move slowly toward you.

As to the second part I was trying to create a few puzzles that require a bit more than point and click. But I am not sure now there is a lot of demand for more complex puzzle in Sim 3. So if I can't get that done it is no big issue.

Once again thank for all you help :-)

You're welcome :).

I looked into the second part and did some testing, I've found a lot of things that should work in theory but don't seem to work in practice. The problem seems to be the order in which the game does the calculations, it's possible there are also limitations that mean too many calculations cause problems. I had about 11 Processors working on the problem (for just three switches :)) and came very close but it broke down at the end (the odd thing was the part that didn't work was exactly the same as another part that did work, it could have been human error).

It's possible I was over-complicating it or made a mistake somewhere so I might try some tests again another time but for now I'm not really sure how to make it work.

I think a lot of people would like more interesting and challenging tombs to be available as an alternative to the mostly easy ones built into the game so it'd be good if we could make ideas like this work :). There are limitations to the system though and it was only designed for those fairly simple tombs (anything else we can do probably means being creative in ways the designers didn't expect).
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Valgon57 wrote:

I'll get back to you on point 2, I'll have to test to see how that works (I think you might need at least two or three processors, it's fairly easy to have a specific set of switches as a combination but it's a little more complicated to make sure they're activated in a certain order).

Smeelia thanks for the reply and I try working on it today :D

I have a small problem :(

No matter what I do. The trap seem to fire twice before stopping. :?

Any idea why?
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Any idea why?

Did you use the "Fire Once" Activated Behaviour or "Set To Fire"?

You probably have the switch set to "Arm" the sequence Processor and the traps set to "Fire Once" then the sequence set to "Reset" at a certain point, if that's the case then as long as a sim is in the switch it can trigger the sequence to start again (and that sometimes "queues up" two "Fire Once" orders for the trap, so it fires, fires again after a wait and then stops unless a sim is still in the green area).

If you're using "Fire Once" and want the sequence to keep running after being triggered then make sure you haven't used "Reset" on the Processor. If you just want the sequence to run once then make sure you have the extra Processor I mentioned (as a kind of "brigde" between the switch and the sequence Processor).

If you want the traps to keep burning after they're first triggered then use "Set To Fire" instead of "Fire Once", once a trap is "Set To Fire" it will keep firing until told to stop. If you are using "Set To Fire" you can ctrl+shift+click on the Traps and select "Set Trap Fire Rate...", the default ("0,1") causes it to fire continually while the other options are listed as the firing time in sim minutes (so real seconds) then the wait before firing again (so "3,5" is fire for three seconds, wait for five seconds then fire for three again and so on).

I'm not sure what else it would be, I'd need to know the options you've chosen for things to get a better idea. Hopefully the above will help anyway and if not just let me know :).
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Smeelia wrote:

Any idea why?

Did you use the "Fire Once" Activated Behaviour or "Set To Fire"?

I'm not sure what else it would be, I'd need to know the options you've chosen for things to get a better idea. Hopefully the above will help anyway and if not just let me know :).

I set it on fire once. I have been doing some try and error but still no luck. I'll try what you mention above a try tomorrow.

However all is not lost. I did kind of make it work by making a catwalk effect. Somewhat like what I am after but I need it to only fire once.

The effect is seen in this:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/269400.page

Making of it tutorial :
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=264032
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Smeelia I finally figured whats wrong with the traps. Your setup is fine. It seems that I was playing with the fire rate with the traps earlier and forgot to set them back :mrgreen: How simply things like this can waste hours :shock:

Anyhow, not all is lost. While messing with the traps setup I come up with a variation to you setup and make a tutorial on how to make disco/dance floor light.

tutorial http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=264224

message http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/269752.page#3575070
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Smeelia I finally figured whats wrong with the traps. Your setup is fine. It seems that I was playing with the fire rate with the traps earlier and forgot to set them back :mrgreen: How simply things like this can waste hours :shock:

It does help to enjoy doing the experimentation because you can spend a lot of time and get nothing done so you have to enjoy that part or it feels like wasted time :). I suppose that's why tutorials help, people can skip a lot of the experimentation if they know exactly how things work.

I read your tutorials and commented, I might not have to do any more if you keep making them :). I haven't really had time to do my own recently but hopefully I'll get another one done next week, I just need to decide the subject. I might go with something simple like doors or floor switches or I might have a go at a Processor tutorial (although you have a lot of that covered already :)).

I was just checking my original tutorial and I can't see any of the pictures appearing, is it just my computer or are they not there anymore?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Smeelia wrote:

It does help to enjoy doing the experimentation because you can spend a lot of time and get nothing done so you have to enjoy that part or it feels like wasted time :). I suppose that's why tutorials help, people can skip a lot of the experimentation if they know exactly how things work.

Yes I do like to experiments :-) That what make sim fun for me is to try out new things. I hate doing legacy so it is building or trying out new thing for me :D

Actually if you got more tricks for the processor please do them. I think I am at my limit with it. Door and traps will be interesting too. :mrgreen:

BTW have you experience any problem with the processor when you use it to set off firework?

It seems that when I use it to set off a set of 16 firework. Afterward , the processor and all the processors in the lot are broken. I have to quit and come back before they will function again. :roll: Strange eh?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes I do like to experiments :-) That what make sim fun for me is to try out new things. I hate doing legacy so it is building or trying out new thing for me :D

Actually if you got more tricks for the processor please do them. I think I am at my limit with it. Door and traps will be interesting too. :mrgreen:

BTW have you experience any problem with the processor when you use it to set off firework?

It seems that when I use it to set off a set of 16 firework. Afterward , the processor and all the processors in the lot are broken. I have to quit and come back before they will function again. :roll: Strange eh?

I did try using the Processor to set off fireworks but I had all sorts of problems (the biggest being all of the fires from the fireworks that went wrong :)). There was a post about it a while ago that inspired me to give it a go, I ended up using the Fog Emitter from Ambitions to create sort of "simulated fireworks" and it gave much better results (it also works well with the processor). Here's the link, the information on how I used the Fog Emitter and Processors is there too:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/255742.page#3377258

You could use the same theory for a lot of special effects really, the Fog Emitter can use all sorts of animations. I'm not sure what else to suggest, I often get inspired by something someone has said or done and then try things out to see if it would work rather than having too many ideas myself :).

There's a puzzle I quite enjoyed during the adventures where you have to step on switches to open a set of doors, I think it's the James Vaughan Headquarters or something (it's hidden in one of the houses). I think it uses the Inverter mode of the Processor to create an interesting puzzle, although it wastes it by giving you codes instead of making it something to figure out :). You could maybe do something similar but better (as long as there are clues for people to figure it out, I thought the codes were too simple in the adventure but marking which switch affects which doors would have been useful).

Would you mind checking my original tutorial to see if the pictures are still there? When I look at it I can't see them at all (the same seems to have happened with the videos for the fireworks displays I did). I might have to re-upload/edit them.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited October 2010
    The pictures are also missing for me. It's probably a website glitch.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The pictures are also missing for me. It's probably a website glitch.

Ah thank you, maybe I'll wait until tomorrow and re-upload them if they're not working :).