Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For rent: aging of sims

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating if I would like to expand my game with For Rent or not. But before I make my decision, I have a question about it:

How does aging work for Sims that live on the same residential lot? Did they add an option that Sims living on the same residential lot age/ not age?

The reason I am asking is because I like to play with the option "age only active family". But I can imagine situations where I would like to have the Sims on the same residential lot to age along with the sim I am playing with, but not the rest of the neighbourhood (for example in legacy challenges).

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    While residential rental does house multiple households, you are playing with one at the time, thus only the household you're currently playing with ages while all the other households don't, even when they live in the same lot but in a different unit.

Think of it more like apartments in San Myshuno and Evergreen Harbor.
  • Options
    Fragaria_ananasaFragaria_ananasa Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for answering my question. To bad you can't choose about aging.

But I understand that it is a bit easier to switch between families on the same residential lot, right? Does it involve going through the loading screen?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    It does involve a loading screen unfortunately. Not only switching households, but also visiting another unit causes a loading screen to come up. Again, like with apartments in San Myshuno and Evergreen Harbor.

Though it is faster to switch active households there. Simply click on the door leading to their unit and you get the option to switch households (besides visiting them too).
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Hi @Fragaria_ananasa you can choose your options for aging :)
    In the game options menu there are choices for aging everyone, aging no one, and aging active household only.
    @EgonVM is correct about how it will work IF you choose "active household only".
  • Options
    Fragaria_ananasaFragaria_ananasa Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you, I know you have the option for aging. I just wanted to know if you have extra options when you expand the game with "for rent".
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    What you could do to have the other residents of your building age along with your played family, is to add those families and only those families to My Households along with your played family. Then the aging options will treat those as played families, even if you never play them. You can then set played families to age and the rest of the world not to age.

Could get complicated if you do have other played households in the same save though. You could set those temporarily to unplayed, to have them not age, but you'd have to make sure to protect them from culling somehow....