Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Rebuild the World challenge

Comments

• Options
    Joel2810Joel2810 Posts: 989 Member
    edited January 2012
    Wow, This sounds really fun! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    edited February 2012
    I'm wondering a thing. How about the third generation? The kids you start with is the first. Their kids are the second. But thier kids again will all be brothers and sisters and so can't (thankfully( have kids together. You need atleast 3-4 couples to continue as even with two couples it would stop at generation 3 as then all the kids would be either siblings and cousins and cousins can't get romantic involved with eachother either.
  • Options
    billisrulzbillisrulz Posts: 415 Member
    edited February 2012
    I think I'm gonna do something like this!
  • Options
    LynAnn1996LynAnn1996 Posts: 172
    edited February 2012
    I like the idea of this challenge, however how can you learn cooking if you can't have an oven to start or logic if there is no chess board. I have read it several times but am still confused.

When you build the different lots, I assume you can place items on these lots to boost their skill levels.
  • Options
    MischiefTheKittenMischiefTheKitten Posts: 3,635 Member
    edited May 2012
    Hi, this looks like a lot of fun and I am seriously thinking of playing this. But I'm a little confuzzled by a couple of things.

How can the sims "build" community lots if they can't even build an upper story to their house ?

I'm wondering the same questions as Peggy is and I was also wondering you said they can not read books or write but then you have writting as a skill ...how will they learn this ?

Sorry if I'm a little daft. Maybe I shall wait until tomorrow and come re-read all this in the morning and get myself sorted,but this looks like just the thing for me.

I'm wondering about this also..
    Otherwise this sounds great fun though! :O It's very unique, thank you for thinking this up :) I was just looking for a new challenge to try that would actually be challenging, and I think I may just give this a shot ^^
    I'll give you the link if I end up doing it as a blog :)

MischiefTheKitten

Signature3_zpstzfs3ywq.jpg
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited May 2012
    ShaliANel wrote:
    Hi, this looks like a lot of fun and I am seriously thinking of playing this. But I'm a little confuzzled by a couple of things.

How can the sims "build" community lots if they can't even build an upper story to their house ?

I'm wondering the same questions as Peggy is and I was also wondering you said they can not read books or write but then you have writting as a skill ...how will they learn this ?

Sorry if I'm a little daft. Maybe I shall wait until tomorrow and come re-read all this in the morning and get myself sorted,but this looks like just the thing for me.

Otherwise this sounds great fun though! :O It's very unique, thank you for thinking this up :) I was just looking for a new challenge to try that would actually be challenging, and I think I may just give this a shot ^^

MischiefTheKitten

same with theses people.. i was all up for it. until i was kind of confuse. .how you earn the building.. with the skills.. but you got no skills :/
  • Options
    MischiefTheKittenMischiefTheKitten Posts: 3,635 Member
    edited May 2012
    turistas9 wrote:
    ShaliANel wrote:

MischiefTheKitten

same with theses people.. i was all up for it. until i was kind of confuse. .how you earn the building.. with the skills.. but you got no skills :/

I suppose it's possible that some random objects survived, and you find them somehow? They'd look pretty shabby of course, because they wouldn't have survived easily so they'd need to look old and worn-out..

That's my interpretation, anyway :/

MischiefTheKitten

Signature3_zpstzfs3ywq.jpg
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited May 2012
    To get building skill, you would repair your plumbing at home.

Gardening and fishing is a given, because you'd have to revert to hunting/gathering, and if you read it, the lakes/fishing holes should still be there. (Personally, I would add in some harvest-able plants around the lakes before starting.)

But as far as the writing, that is confusing. :? I might be able to see it if there was a write in journal option like in ts2 Uni. But then you'd have to have a bookshelf, and sims seem to love reading every chance they can sneak a book in. Maybe after you master the logic, you can by them a pc and use it to write.
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    edited May 2012
    I took it as strategy. You need logic skills to invent electronic devices, you need a computer to start writing, then you can build the bookstore to get the first books. I have one of my kids playing chess while the other fishes all day. I kept the adult because the cheap plumbing breaks all the time. I can't wait till the kids are teens. Then, I will have the girl work on gardening and the boy get to work repairing household items to get that handiness skill. It makes sense to me. Kids/ teens are too young to make buildings anyhow. It would be too easy.
  • Options
    rk800rk800 Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2012
    Cool idea! There's only one problem; Once the children grow up and create offspring, the offspring themselves won't be allowed to mate because they are siblings, right? :shock:
    2cr3bs9.png
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited May 2012
    rk800 wrote:
    Cool idea! There's only one problem; Once the children grow up and create offspring, the offspring themselves won't be allowed to mate because they are siblings, right? :shock:
    this also bugging me ..
    how does it work ..
    do u like force breed the 2 to have 15 kids.. but after that.. who do they try for baby with :S
  • Options
    rk800rk800 Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2012
    turistas9 wrote:
    rk800 wrote:
    this also bugging me ..
    how does it work ..
    do u like force breed the 2 to have 15 kids.. but after that.. who do they try for baby with :S
    Yeah, it would be practically impossibru Impossibru.jpg?1312395745 without a mod.
    2cr3bs9.png
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited May 2012
    rk800 wrote:
    turistas9 wrote:
    rk800 wrote:
    this also bugging me ..
    how does it work ..
    Yeah, it would be practically impossibru Impossibru.jpg?1312395745 without a mod.

To quote from the first post:
    Once your two sims have their kids, you may turn story progression on. You may also place empty houses for newly found survivors to move in to or for your grown sims to move in to. Once you start building community buildings, new townies ("survivors") will start appearing that your new generations of sims can marry. (My first son just married the newspaper girl haha) But heck, if you want, create another family if you don’t want to marry one of those stupid townies. I don’t care.

Edited to add: In other words, once you start expanding, if you place houses, townies WILL move in as more community lots start showing up. :) It shouldn't be a problem and the rules state you can create families once you reach that point. At least that's how I understood it. Which means any of the offspring you release to story progression should, technically be able to find unrelated love interests. Though it may be slow at first.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    bekibeki Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2012
    I have just stared this challenge and i am very excited about it. my kids sure are dirty though but that is probably the idea. i am tempted to keep the sink after i kill off the adult. there is dirty dishes everywhere. trying to make them only eat ice cream and juice now.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2012
    interesting...

I think it would need some tweeking.... to get all eps conected....

but each could do that acording to what they have...

It would be cool with a spreadsheet for checking of when a thing was acomplish for a quick look at what you can do... what you have unlocked...

maybe a fun twist would be have a groupe of kids.... difrent ages... (+ the 1 locked up adult) and if you have pets a dog or cat ... as a teen I watch a show called "tribal" (I think) only kids serviving a big catastrof... most was color full dressed... as an art teacher I know kids would try that, but not nesesarely make what we say is good tast, so maybe say that colors is ok, but you have to make it look like they mixed what they found... they can't realy make clothes until they are teens and maybe are artistic....

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2012
    sounds like a nice challenge, but how do the children learn the skills like logic etc without chess sets and telescopes or books, if they only have a fridge toilet and beds? how do we start of the skills, has kids can not get hardness skills or repair objects.

we can't buy objects has the don't have money right, so how do we start building skills a bit confused.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    i had my kids sell the fish they caught and the rocks they found to buy a chess set.
  • Options
    2oo922oo92 Posts: 2,627 Member
    edited May 2012
    So my question is can we buy things that don't break the rules above, like a chess table? A easel, a guitar, or a chemistry set. Or do these things have to be gained as well through handiness or something like that?
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2012
    beki wrote:
    i had my kids sell the fish they caught and the rocks they found to buy a chess set.

yes i did this they found rocks and sold there fish, to buy a chess set but i did run into a problem even with story progression off it still sprawned the npc postman and paper girl, and with the adult being locked away they can't pay the bills. good job there is only 4 days as a child.

i don't use awesome mod tho, i did total eliminate all npc but it just sprawn more.

i all so have the ambitions ep so i added them to the challenge the fire fighter career can not have a fire station unless the sims have mastered hardness and athletics as they are the required skills to be a fire fighter. the salon as the have painting max for creativity.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    i am having a lot of fun with this challenge. i never redid a town before. i have a park and a school so far. i added some families so my baby would have some possible mates and when i got back my family had a dog and 3 puppies. lol that surprised me. i got rid of the pups and kept the dog. she was a good hunter and helped with social when everyone else was busy. she has passed on now, so sad. maybe later i will try to adopt a stray. anyway, just wanted to share my progress and wonder how everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    MychuckyboyMychuckyboy Posts: 605 Member
    edited August 2012
    I think I'm going to try this tomorrow, it's absolutely genius!
  • Options
    kmshellkmshell Posts: 321
    edited August 2012
    Good idea! I might have to try this soon!
  • Options
    hiscountrygirlhiscountrygirl Posts: 11 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Trying this :) Thanks for thinking this up!
  • Options
    SaynaTheSpiffySaynaTheSpiffy Posts: 52
    edited November 2012
    sounds like a nice challenge, but how do the children learn the skills like logic etc without chess sets and telescopes or books, if they only have a fridge toilet and beds? how do we start of the skills, has kids can not get hardness skills or repair objects.

we can't buy objects has the don't have money right, so how do we start building skills a bit confused.

I'm confused about this as well. It seems like some skills will be impossible to gain because all buildings have been destroyed and your two characters can't buy any items to improve them. If I recall correctly, some skills can't be started without certain items (ex: Charisma needs a mirror or book before you gain skill by socializing)which your two starters are not allowed to buy.

I have more questions:
    1. Won't the children be taken away if they miss school? They can't go to a school that doesn't exist. Do they age up on a Normal lifespan before they'll get evicted?
    "-Sims cannot change the colors of their clothing and when they age up, their new clothing must be recolored to grey, brown, or white."
    How do we change clothing without the use of a dresser or cheats?
    3. May we use cheats to kill the adult when the kids become teens or do we just sell the stuff and let nature take its course?
    4. How do we rebuild the rabbitholes?
  • Options
    Moosebear41Moosebear41 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited November 2012
    I would do that but will that cause problems with the game and the sims would be strange looking.