Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Workaround for Disjointed Sims in CAS, update your driver!

Here’s a work around for those of you who are seeing Disjointed Sims in CAS bug.

We have isolated the problem to be driver related and only occurs on certain laptops. If you have a graphic card with Intel ® 965 express chipset, you’ll need to update your driver.

Use this tool http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm to determine your graphic card and version number. The current version is 15.12.4.1666 (7.15.10.1666).

1. Download latest Intel drivers, save the file to desktop.
Go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng
Select your Operating system, then download the 3rd driver listed. For example if you have Windows Vista, 32 bit download
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2800&DwnldID=17407&strOSs=152&OSFullName=Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version&lang=eng
2. Uninstall Old Driver
a. Start> Control Panel.
b. Go to Device manager> Display adapter> Right click on “Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express” > Properties> Uninstall > Check the box “Delete the driver software for this device”
c. Allow Vista to auto install default drivers.
3. Install New Driver
a. Double click on the new driver exe.
b. Follow the instructions, restart computer as needed.

~SGA

Comments

• Options
    23Strawberry23Strawberry Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have this chipset, but my laptop is a Toshiba, and I'm told I can do driver updates through them only. The most recent driver they have for this chipset is 7.14.10.1329. That is the driver I already have, so, unfortunately, my problem has not been resolved. My sims still look like their coming apart at the seams. :(
  • Options
    LabyrinthiaLabyrinthia Posts: 59 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My laptop is also a Toshiba, and I had the same problem using this to update my driver. I used the device manager to update my driver and it fixed the problem. Its in control panel, system & maintenance. Click on Update driver devices. I went through everything on the list. Click on something then a little button with a green arrow appears in the toolbar. Click on this button to update. Bit of a pain that you have to go through evrything separately but.... it worked for me so I cant complain.
  • Options
    duck74duck74 Posts: 686 Member
    edited August 2009
    my mom has a toshiba and my dad has a advent....

i installed a game on both of them......

the advent won....

then i got the sims 3....

my dads laptop won...

i have heard loads of complaints about advent laptops.... they are for work not playtime
  • Options
    shaunaleaseshaunalease Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I already have this chipset installed.
  • Options
    ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a Toshiba laptop too, and whenever I try to download, my laptop says the download is not for this computer.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited August 2009
    i was able to update but ever since i did the update my computer has been choppy and really choppy on sims. Which sucks and i dont know how to fix it without getting rid of the driver
  • Options
    DustinHall13DustinHall13 Posts: 74 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I did what you said, but I couldn't install the new driver, so I went and found the download for the exact same driver I had before, installed that, and I haven't had a disjointed Sim since! I don't understand it, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if anyone had an answer to why this happened.
  • Options
    pelleas007pelleas007 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the step by step instructions.

It worked like a charm, now I can make my Sims fat and athletic, but not only that, I realized that there are a lot of other details I was missing (like the lip crease) before I updated the driver.

I had trouble initially installing the driver, and my laptop would restart during installation. It turned out there was a conflict with my firewall (According to Windows problem solver). I disconnected from the internet and turned off my firewall, it installed easily, and voilá! Things are good now, and I can enjoy playing my sims much more.
    SimGuruAce wrote:
    Here’s a work around for those of you who are seeing Disjointed Sims in CAS bug.

We have isolated the problem to be driver related and only occurs on certain laptops. If you have a graphic card with Intel ® 965 express chipset, you’ll need to update your driver.

Use this tool http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm to determine your graphic card and version number. The current version is 15.12.4.1666 (7.15.10.1666).

1. Download latest Intel drivers, save the file to desktop.
    Go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng
    Select your Operating system, then download the 3rd driver listed. For example if you have Windows Vista, 32 bit download
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2800&DwnldID=17407&strOSs=152&OSFullName=Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version&lang=eng
    2. Uninstall Old Driver
    a. Start> Control Panel.
    b. Go to Device manager> Display adapter> Right click on “Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express” > Properties> Uninstall > Check the box “Delete the driver software for this device”
    c. Allow Vista to auto install default drivers.
    3. Install New Driver
    a. Double click on the new driver exe.
    b. Follow the instructions, restart computer as needed.

~SGA
  • Options
    tiffwhite26tiffwhite26 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a Toshiba also and I had the same exact problem and fixed it today. The link that they give us to update our drivers wont work with our Toshiba's so just go to the Toshiba website and put in laptops on the side where it says quick link and go to tech support put in and then go to downloads and then put in the make and model of your laptop. It will give u the latest downloads and updates for your computer and go to the most resent download, it probably says something like "Intel Chipset software" and download it and once u restart your computer and start the game, it should work fine. Let me know if this helps at all. :)
  • Options
    macayla131macayla131 Posts: 150 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a dell inspiron, and my driver is completely up-to-date. Have horrible choppy sims. :cry:
  • Options
    SkippetteSkippette Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2009
    macayla131 wrote:
    I have a dell inspiron, and my driver is completely up-to-date. Have horrible choppy sims. :cry:
    I also have a Dell Inspiron, and my drivers are up to date......and I have choppy, displaced Sims...I guess there's just no way around it.
  • Options
    jordipoo7729jordipoo7729 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2009
    HI!!!
    I'm so relieved to notice that I'm not the only one with the problem of having distorted sims bodies. My problem is when in Create-a-Sim, my sims are perfectly fine but when in play, if the sim is super skinny or super fat the body would become distored or look as if the body is one place and the head another. I personally think this particular game is under developed simply because it's new. I had sent the old game back included the nessecary $13 thinking it was the CD, only to find my new game did the same thing. I get easily frustrated and this little problem makes me not want to play the game! I AM going to upload some pictures to give you guys a picture of what I'm talking about and am going to see if I can contact EA Games concerning the codition of the game and how it works on my PC. I really wish i could help and solve this maddness, but unfortuneatly I don't know how.
  • Options
    SkippetteSkippette Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2009
    macayla131 wrote:

I have found a solution to the problem of graphics drivers and choppy, disjointed Sims and Dell Inspirons. There's a newer driver to one you have, assuming its Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family 7.14.10.1409 as mine was. Well this is what you do and it worked for me!!

Download the latest driver 7.15.10.1666 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng

Then go to Control Panel> Device Manager> Display Adapter. Right click on Mobile Intel 965 (display adapter) then choose Properties> Driver tab> Uninstall. DO NOT RESTART YOUR PC!! The screen will have big icons on the desktop so it may be a little hard to find the new downloaded driver...persevere! Install the new driver (double click and follow the prompts). Restart the PC...Get back into the game and Voila!! no more disjointed Sims :wink: Well it worked me....
  • Options
    Alina_09Alina_09 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Did your screen black out whenever you were installing the new driver? And if so, how long? I started to install this version and halfway through my screen just blacked out, and it has been like that for about 10 (mayboe more) minutes now.

Please tell me this is normal..
  • Options
    nedawilcoenedawilcoe Posts: 6
    edited September 2009
    Skippette wrote:
    macayla131 wrote:

I have found a solution to the problem of graphics drivers and choppy, disjointed Sims and Dell Inspirons. There's a newer driver to one you have, assuming its Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family 7.14.10.1409 as mine was. Well this is what you do and it worked for me!!

Download the latest driver 7.15.10.1666 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng

Then go to Control Panel> Device Manager> Display Adapter. Right click on Mobile Intel 965 (display adapter) then choose Properties> Driver tab> Uninstall. DO NOT RESTART YOUR PC!! The screen will have big icons on the desktop so it may be a little hard to find the new downloaded driver...persevere! Install the new driver (double click and follow the prompts). Restart the PC...Get back into the game and Voila!! no more disjointed Sims :wink: Well it worked me....

I have a Dell Inspiron with the same chipset as you described (7.14.10.1409) and I have downloaded the new chipset (7.15.10.1666) numerous times and had to reset to the old one because I get this insane screen crap going on. It basically looks like my computer took acid and is on a bad trip, all the colors are whacked out and wrong. I hate Dells *grumble*. If anyone can help, please do! Thanks.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    WndyK1975WndyK1975 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone found the fix for Toshiba Laptop 32bit Mobile Intel Express Chipset Family 965 problem with driver 10.14.10.1329r2 because I am having the same problem?
  • Options
    WndyK1975WndyK1975 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I updated my driver with one that isn't Toshiba specific. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng I hope that helps someone else! 15.12.4.1966
    Thank you for your help!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    BrightfireBrightfire Posts: 121 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I had this exact same problem in my game. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the GM965 chipset, but the driver on Dell's website is out of date. The one on the Intel website wouldnt install because of the certificate or something.
    Anyway after poking around on various tech forums and whatever I managed to fix it.
    There are two versions of the latest driver on the Intel website: 1) The .exe and 2) The .rar.
    Download the .rar file and unzip it, you should get a few folders and files, including a folder called Graphics, which is important later.
    In Device Manager, right click on the chipset and choose Update driver from the drop down list.
    When the window comes up, choose Browse my compputer for driver software.
    In the next window, click on Browse and find that Graphics folder that came from the unzipped download I mentioned earlier.
    Click on Next and follow the prompts and it should install the driver without any problems. It might mess up your display settings, but they're easy to fix through the control panel.
    Checked my game and it fixed the problem! I am finally seeing fat and muscled sims!
    Hope this helps someone else!
  • Options
    worldwaffleworldwaffle Posts: 484 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Before I go ANY farther, I want to know if this is what anyone got for their Intel Driver Update Utility result:

Product Detected Intel® GM965
    Current Driver Installed 7.14.10.1409
    A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

help please,
    -worldwaffle

EDIT: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, hopefully the instructions above work for me ;)

(another)EDIT: Brightfire, where did you find the .rar file? I can't find it at all.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    worldwaffleworldwaffle Posts: 484 New Member
    edited October 2009
    *Bumps in vain*
  • Options
    GDUNN2GDUNN2 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I have this chipset, but my laptop is a Toshiba, and I'm told I can do driver updates through them only. The most recent driver they have for this chipset is 7.14.10.1329. That is the driver I already have, so, unfortunately, my problem has not been resolved. My sims still look like their coming apart at the seams. :(

Same with me and I can't see the bump for when they are pregnant. :(
  • Options
    oreomonoreomon Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I've just installed my Sims 3 games yesterday. I was having the problem where it looked like my sims where being cut in half when I tried to increase weight. I just installed the new driver with the instruction and now the body shape slider works fine. One problem. I have half of my screen flickering every so often. Help? :x
  • Options
    avatar88avatar88 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I have dell inspiron1525 and i followed the instructions told by BRight fire. However, when i click on the graphics folder and then click next, it tells me that my driver is already up to date. Then i tried to install the new driver by clicking on .exe file but it gave me an error message that "the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer." Please help if anyone knows what to do.
  • Options
    Darling_cheriDarling_cheri Posts: 15 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I FIXED IT FINALLY! I have a dell inspiron 1525 with a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family 7.14.10.1409. Whenever I would try to update with Intel, it would tell me that its a custom driver and get it from the dell website, but whenever i would go to dell and try to download it, it would say that i dont have authority from administrator. So what I did was follow the intructions in this forum to delete the current driver I had before downloading the updated version. Then my computer restarted, and I redid the scan at Intel and downloaded the newest version, and it worked! Good luck you guys, I hope this helped. I'm not very good at computers, so if I wasn't clear enough, you can message me. :]
  • Options
    JeessiicaaaJeessiicaaa Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    I had the same problem and I have a dell inspiron 1525. I did what you guys said but it didn't work. All I had to do to fix it was lower the resolution and everything worked perfectly!