The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do think about having churches and careers in churches for our sims?

When i was playing the sims 2, i noticed that somone on the exchange for the sims2 had created a church that had a cross at the main pew that your sim could interact with. Now that the sims medeival is out, they have certain sims that can be preists or monks why not have the career choice of having a modern day preist for the sims3? Like the catholic church or even the salvation army church, these are just suggestions but maybe we can get a church specifically for the sims that we use? Everyone has a beleif or there is some that does not beleive, but ultamatly it is the players choice. I hope i can get some ideas from other players here please post your ideas and answers to this it would help alot.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited January 2012
    I find it grossly inappropriate.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    edited January 2012
    this been talk about a number of times and the past thing people have came out with was only someting like a podium that is programed like the wedding arch is..so that sims would sit and listen to a sim at the podium. Oh and Soapbox. too. But other than that a church isn't a good idea.. since you would need to put mosque in, a sygangoue, temples,
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited January 2012
    No. Cuz like stated we'd need the other buildings of worship.

If any "religion" should appear it'd have to be funny and ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the ancient llama people in Castaway worshipped Llamas. We have Llama stadium, llama team, llama jokes, llama fish...it would have to do with llamas. Now llama doesn't even look like a real word to me.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited January 2012
    One of the producers of The Sims Medieval said that it was the first, last, and only time they would ever put religion in a Sims game.

simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited January 2012
    It can't be done without someone being offended these days. If they put one type of church in, they'd have to do them all. There's just too many different beliefs out there.

That said, I'd be ok with adding one if they made up their own silly one. Like another already suggested with llamas. However, I'm sure they won't add it because someone out there would find a way to be offended with that even. :?
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited January 2012
    not gonna happen EA would have to include EVERY relgion cause christians arent the only people to play the sims
  • Options
    MiloBeanMiloBean Posts: 770 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I would like to see the sims make a long pilgrimage to give offerings of found gemstones and bugs to the altar of their deity, Will Wright.
    Of course the altar would be part of a new Pilgrimage Pack, which also contains a candelabra, an incense braizer and an ugly brown robe for only 1200 simpoints...
  • Options
    ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited January 2012
    Welcome to the forums! I don't think it would be a good idea, personally. Something like that would get a lot of people angry. Plus there is custom content online that can give you those features. :)
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't think so, someone will find it offensive. As others have said, you can get custom made content so you can make your own though :D
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2012
    If EA make a mike with the ability to speak in and build charisma, it can be used to build your own buildings of worship the way you would want. Also alienating other religious interactions can cause some players being told not to play the game because it goes against their religion. EA would never want to have that happen.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited January 2012
    No, but they could give us the ability to make something resembling one, like finials, spires, more stained glass windows etc. Our little simmies could prop a mic in front of the spellbook and sing french songs together :shock: Lol
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited January 2012
    Uhhhh, bad idea.
    Lots of people would complain about how they're not represented. All the time.
    All of it.

If it were a made up religion...no, even then, it's asking for trouble.

"They're mocking our religion by making our God a llama! HEATHENS."
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    There are already people complaining that the Sims is too culturally oriented to Americans -- just imagine the complaints if you only had one religion in the game...and which one? The closest Sims gets to religion is the meditating if you've got WA, and even that's not super-religious but ties in with the martial arts skill.

Sims Medieval is different -- the Church was pretty much the center of activity in the medieval era. And even in that context it might be nice if they could add in Moorish (Islamic) characters and the like, even just as traders from other countries.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited January 2012
    mizuru007 wrote:
    Uhhhh, bad idea.
    Lots of people would complain about how they're not represented. All the time.
    All of it.

If it were a made up religion...no, even then, it's asking for trouble.

"They're mocking our religion by making our God a llama! HEATHENS."
    No one complained about the llama people in castaway that I know of they even had head statues >.>
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2012
    I disagree.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2012
    This topic has seriously been done to DEATH. Do a search on Church or Religion in this forum and it will bring up all the many MANY pages of discussion there have been.

Essentially we do NOT need an established religion or new religious rabbit holes in the game. Just do not want.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of very cool GENERIC things they could add that would allow individual simmers to create their own church/mosque/synagogue/grove/temple/alter/whathaveyou in their own game.

Things like a soap box to give speeches from, and a podium, like we had in Sims 2. Some clothing items that could be gotten from the store (They have Christmas and Kwanza and Hannukah sets, why not clothing for religious observation too?).

Give us a new career - Counselor. Counselors can listen to sims, give advice, commiserate with, give inspirational speeches and inspire the crowd.

Give us rugs that can be knelt on, more sittable bench options, the ability to kneel when ever we want, not just when Grimmy comes for our dead sim.

More roof options so we can create flying buttresses and spires. More shingle options. Need that anyway :P

What else do you really need that what I listed? It's generic, not tied to any one faith, or any faith at all for that matter, and allows simmers to create their own world the way they want it, without any concern whatsoever with how someone else creates THEIR world.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    This would be a very VERY bad idea .

Instead give us some architectural and roofing features like flying buttresses, domes of varying types , Vaulted Ceilings,Several sizes of Stained glass windows . As well as a few items like Speech Podiums , A railing that sims can kneel at , Tapestries of varies sizes . That way we make our own if we want
  • Options
    AustralorpAustralorp Posts: 1,171 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I think churches would be innappropriate. People get offended at the littlest things these days and having a church of one religion would cause an uproar. Adding all the others is pretty much impossible as there are far too many and hardly any room in a town.
  • Options
    KarstenmausKarstenmaus Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2012
    I find the idea well, but rather as a sect option or religion which is not there.
    Building opportunities in this respect are also great for can we build at last great homes. Yes stained glasses in many sizes and shapes, as anywhere else.
  • Options
    agough111agough111 Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    I find it grossly inappropriate.

And exactly how is it inapropriate? We all have religons, most go to church, and are religous. And it's not inappropriate.

Anyways, I was thinking the same thing, I'd love churchs, here's my idea. So in Sims 3 Creat a Sim, you would pick your religion, and then it would atomatically create a church for your sim. Or you could just add one in edit town
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2012
    What career in church could be so entertaining that it's even worth mentioning, not to say even thinking about implementing this into the game? What could we expect from priests and monks other than preaching, singing gospels, gardening, reading the bible and making beer?
    web-smilies_big0052.gif
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited January 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    What career in church could be so entertaining that it's even worth mentioning
    web-smilies_big0052.gif

:lol: :XD:
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 2012
    agough111 wrote:

And exactly how is it inapropriate? We all have religons, most go to church, and are religous. And it's not inappropriate.

Anyways, I was thinking the same thing, I'd love churchs, here's my idea. So in Sims 3 Creat a Sim, you would pick your religion, and then it would atomatically create a church for your sim. Or you could just add one in edit town

I know several people who don't belong to any religion and wouldn't want that in the game.

Personally, if they included a bunch of Wiccan and general Pagan-themed content, I would be okay with it. If they left that out and included mainly Christian themes, I would find it inappropriate.

Also, certain religions would find it inappropriate and offensive to be represented in a computer game.

It really would be a no-win situation for EA, and I think they know that. :wink:
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2012
    The things with Sims 3 is that it is a sandbox game - we have our barbies and our play sets - the rest is really up to us. I do not need a church rabbit hole. There are already too many rabbit holes. It gets tedious.

I would LOVE the ability to give a speech to a crowd and whip them into a frenzy, however. And to have a new profession where my sim could counsel other sims who were down or troubled - can't you just see it? Marriage counseling for the sims having issues with their spouse, career counseling for teen sims ...Add this in with a few interactions and animations - kneel, listen to speech, sing or chant with group, leave offering in a box or a plate or a basket. A few new topics of conversation. It would be GENERIC and that is what would make it work for EVERYONE.

I would love to have all sorts of objects, in several sets, that I could purchase from the store. They could do different themes and that would please everyone - Moroccan/Moorish for those who would like to do Islam or Sikhism in the game, Indian/Asian for Bhudists, Taoists and Hindus, Western and Eastern European for the Christians and Jews, and Native American/Iron Age/Stone Age for the Wiccans and Pagans.

There is already a precedent for this sort of content in the store. They have the Holiday sets and I think the only major religion they have left out is Islam, with nothing to represent Eid or Ramadan. They could even include stuff for Festivus - for the non-religious amongst us.

Finally - just let me say this - If they did this and excluded ANY of the various archtypes, I would be irritated - that includes excluding Christians OR Pagans OR Muslims OR Hidus, no matter how diametrically opposed they are to my own personal belief system. Equal time, you know? However, as long as they included items from the various Abrahamic faiths, Indian faiths, Iranian faiths, Folk religions and the New Age religions. It dosn't have to be a LOT, maybe 3 or 4 items from each category - it would be a lot of items at the end of the day, but there's a lot of cross over. I know that there are corollaries to the collections plates/boxes/baskets in just about every faith system.

Anyway - it's doable if they stick to the generics for everyone and then release specifics as point of sale content in the store.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 2012
    mikitta47 wrote:
    And to have a new profession where my sim could counsel other sims who were down or troubled - can't you just see it? Marriage counseling for the sims having issues with their spouse, career counseling for teen sims

I don't see how this is religious. It sounds like a psychologist/counselor career or NPC to me.
    mikitta47 wrote:
    ...Add this in with a few interactions and animations - kneel, listen to speech, sing or chant with group, leave offering in a box or a plate or a basket.

Sorry, but this doesn't sound generic at all to me. It all sounds very Christian.
    mikitta47 wrote:
    There is already a precedent for this sort of content in the store. They have the Holiday sets and I think the only major religion they have left out is Islam, with nothing to represent Eid or Ramadan.

I don't mind those holiday items because they are mostly secular and just decorative, like you'd see at most real world malls and retail stores.

And I'm no expert on Islam, but don't Muslim fundamentalists get very offended by portrayals of their faith? Isn't that true for some Christians and others as well? I certainly wouldn't want to go there if I was EA.