The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited January 2012
    *in a sing-song voice:* NATURALLY~! :roll: :mrgreen: I mean, come ON! I was saying it over and over: you really think companies just like HuffPo listed: 'Google, Facebook, eBay, Mozilla, Twitter, and Huffington Post parent company AOL', not to mention Youtube and the like, would sit quietly while their sites get shut down, and a whole market of billions of dollars--despite the piracy--get thrown out?

People here were freaking out, saying that EA was gonna shut down CC sites, and I said Get Real! If EAxis intended to shut down CC sites, they would have never made an alliance with TSR, and they would have shut down CC sites since Sims ONE, and they would have never given us that Mods folder in...whatever patch. I knew it all along. ^-^ That SOPA bill was stupid.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2012
    It doesn't matter what the White House does. Electronic Arts, along with a whole alliance of powerful corporations, is lobbying for this bill to pass. And even if the bill is vetoed by the White House, it can be overridden by Congress. This is an election year, and some people will say anything to get re-elected.

So, it's not over yet; not by a longshot...especially since these are bipartisan bills.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2012
    There are congress members losing their support for it as well as senate members. I think the protesters are putting up a good fight. Let's hope they win.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2012
    Since a two thirds majority is needed in both the House and Senate to over ride a Presidential veto I doubt that much will happen. In the current climate those two bodies don't seem to able to agree on how to tie their shoes.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Sorry about the double post. The forums are acting wonky for me this morning.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    TheMiktigerTheMiktiger Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited January 2012
    eh, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know much about congress and such, but doesn't 2/3 of congress have to agree with Obama for the bill to truly be vetoed?

And from what I know, a lot of congress is voting for the law. I just hope it doesn't pass. Think about it really, it's pretty much taking away our connection to the rest of the world.

I remember a while ago tumblr was asking for people to call their state representatives, and my friend and I did to tell them the people of PA say no, and his secretary or whoever said he was voting against it.

So, we have one state at least. :D
    tumblr_ndvjzeK7pL1qcbk34o7_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Miktiger, the president can veto anything he wants. It does require 2/3 of both the house and senate to block his veto.
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2012
    man Barack Obama is really smart if he opposes SOPA now then I oppose it too.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2012
    man Barack Obama is really smart if he opposes SOPA now then I oppose it too.

If I'm not mistaken, he was FOR it, before he was against it. And like I said, this *is* a bipartisan bill, so I'm sure that if the lobbyists are persistent and persuasive, there won't be a problem overriding the president's veto.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Don't jinx it, y'all! :oops: :lol: FAIL! I want the bill to FAIL! :thumbup: Stop talking about congress--you're scaring me now! Cuz it seems like all they're doing lately is doing anything they can to oppose Obama, just for the principle. This is why I hate politics. *SIGH*
  • Options
    edited January 2012
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    murfeel, right now the congress and the senate aren't even working on the same bill. The house version is SOPA, the senate version is PIPA. The author of the senate bill, Sen Leahy from Vermont is planning to add an amendment to the bill to ask for further study of the possible ramifacations of the bill. Rep.Smith from Texas is the author of SOPA and is not planning any changes.
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited January 2012
    This is just spin..The White House also said they were going to drop Bush's NDAA policy and Obama re-signed it SECRETLY on 12-31-11, so I will believe it when it actually happens.
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited January 2012
    murfeel wrote:
    Don't jinx it, y'all! :oops: :lol: FAIL! I want the bill to FAIL! :thumbup: Stop talking about congress--you're scaring me now! Cuz it seems like all they're doing lately is doing anything they can to oppose Obama, just for the principle. This is why I hate politics. *SIGH*

i don't think anybody can jinx it, murfeel! :D
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2012
    Faith12368 wrote:
    This is just spin..The White House also said they were going to drop Bush's NDAA policy and Obama re-signed it SECRETLY on 12-31-11, so I will believe it when it actually happens.

This is why I don't believe it until I see it. Obama is very wishy-washy.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    blewis823 wrote:
    Faith12368 wrote:

But the NDAA is national security! If he didn't re-sign it, many people would be at risk!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    blewis823 wrote:
    Faith12368 wrote:

But the NDAA is national security! If he didn't re-sign it, many people would be at risk!

:roll: One word...whatever...oh two more words...study politics!

First of all Obama did NOT supposedly want to sign this because there are so many aspects that go against the Constitution of the United States of America, and second he signed it because he caved to Republican pressure like he always does!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    murfeel, right now the congress and the senate aren't even working on the same bill. The house version is SOPA, the senate version is PIPA. The author of the senate bill, Sen Leahy from Vermont is planning to add an amendment to the bill to ask for further study of the possible ramifacations of the bill. Rep.Smith from Texas is the author of SOPA and is not planning any changes.
    GOOD. ^-^
    What they need to be concentrating their effots on anyway is stopping these crazy trojans and viruses from messing up people's PCs! And get rid of that Norton 'Security' thing, too! I wish congress/senate would pass a bill about that instead, rather than worrying about people stealing silliness like music online. :roll: That's the real problem with the internet.
  • Options
    ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't support PIPA, but I would support PIPPA!

pippa-middleton.jpg

It would be a much more attractive bill. :mrgreen:

Sorry. :-P
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2012
    Hmmm... well I'm not american so maybe I better keep my mouth shut.
    On the other hand the politicians in the USA seem to be as corrupt as the german politicians. Money rules (sadly) and I don't see why it should be any different with this case.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Hmmm... well I'm not american so maybe I better keep my mouth shut.
    On the other hand the politicians in the USA seem to be as corrupt as the german politicians. Money rules (sadly) and I don't see why it should be any different with this case.

You are exactly right my friend! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Faith12368 wrote:
    blewis823 wrote:
    Faith12368 wrote:

:roll: One word...whatever...oh two more words...study politics!

First of all Obama did NOT supposedly want to sign this because there are so many aspects that go against the Constitution of the United States of America, and second he signed it because he caved to Republican pressure like he always does!

i know politics and obama isnt caving to republican he just trying to do the best for the usa like george w bush did. and that stuff don't go against the contitution. In the constitution it say the government is supposed to protect its citizens and that is what USA PATRIOT act and NDAA are for.
  • Options
    traumatizedollietraumatizedollie Posts: 96
    edited January 2012
    i know politics and obama isnt caving to republican he just trying to do the best for the usa like george w bush did. and that stuff don't go against the contitution. In the constitution it say the government is supposed to protect its citizens and that is what USA PATRIOT act and NDAA are for.
    Either you don't know politics or you don't know the Bill of Rights, if you think NDAA and the Patriot Act are anything but dangerous bills and testaments to the breaking down of the Constitution. The NDAA allows the military to pick you up from your home one day, place you in custody, deny you your right to trial, deny you your right to an attorney, all without probable cause. All that they need to be able to do that is have something that makes them think you MIGHT, in the slightest, most insignificant and barely existent possibility, be a terrorist or be aiding terrorists or be in some way associated with terrorists. And they can hold you indefinitely. And they will never have to provide anymore evidence than, "Well golly gee, he sure looks like a terrorist!"

The Patriot Act is just the perfect textbook example of a violation of the Constitution, all around and entirely. The fact that it exists is enough to know that we, the American public, are quite thoroughly screwed.

Also, Obama flip-flops almost as bad as Romney. He looked really nice back in 2008 when he was campaigning on social left ideas, yes, but since he's got in office, he's had Heel-Face-Turns and made 180s and 360s and 45s and I don't know what percentage he's even on right now. I think he's just covering a dartboard with political positions, blindfolding a monkey, and giving it darts at this point, and whatever it lands on is what he is today.
    To put it simply, the man's gone insane with the crowd-pleasing. He keeps trying to be everybody's friend, the poster child for everything, he wants to be someone's puppet. And that is not a good trait to have in the leader of the free world.

(Sims references unintentional >_>)
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2012
    Having to deal with racial profiling personally I find the Patriot Act & NDAA offensive. I know there is a need for safety and assurance for the American people but just as racial profiling doesn't catch much, just delay people like me and make me feel like a criminal because of my race. I feel the same is happening federally too.

What is coming out of it?
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    edited January 2012
    traumatizedollie that is the point of *all polticans* they look nice in the elections at all but when they're in power..they break their promises..go work at 2 potlicans in my country (I live in Canada) . The Prime Minster Stepehen Harper..he's become a complete dictor and the Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Rob promised no cuts to services but bingo that's excatly what he does!!
    6adMCGP.gif