The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim points....too expensive?

Just visited the sims store for the first time (I felt no need as the exchange was pretty good for my needs). I redeemed my simpoints that I had from two years ago.. :wink: and the thought about buying some more. Too me they seemed a bit too expensive. £3.00 for a 1000 points is a better idea.. :D

Though what do other Simmers think?

Comments

• Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited July 2011
    The price is set by EA and you either buy them or you don't but that's how it works. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited July 2011
    ea should raise the price.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited July 2011
    Of course they're expensive! We are talking about EA here. :P
  • Options
    KingOfTheNightKingOfTheNight Posts: 1,782
    edited July 2011
    I have no problem with the cost of SimPoints. I have spent hundreds in the Store, I buy the Compilation Set every month and I am finishing my Collection of old Sets and Single Items I need to own the whole Store.

I also love to Gift people, especially the new Functionality Items.

However, I do have a problem with EA perma-banning Accounts so we can no longer Log In and D/L items we have paid for. Though thankfully I backed up my Purchases.
  • Options
    AwgustAwgust Posts: 1,222 New Member
    edited July 2011
    ea should raise the price.

That was sarcasm right? I'm not to keen on seeing these things :lol: but that MUST have ben sarcasm.
  • Options
    beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited July 2011
    Eh, the price doesn't actually bother me... The points aren't bad, I guest it's the price of THINGS.... But I don't have euros, and I don't really know how many of those qualifies as expensive so.... I guess i'm just a silly American. :lol:
  • Options
    postkineticpostkinetic Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Too expensive.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited October 2011
    too expensive? Um 10 UDS = 1000 points and that is an average of 10 items, so 1.00 per item is expensive?! Hardly.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    menemene Posts: 2,322 Member
    edited October 2011
    I find simpoints expensive :oops: But then I find most things these days expensive.
  • Options
    kireland389kireland389 Posts: 54 New Member
    edited October 2011
    mene wrote:
    I find simpoints expensive :oops: But then I find most things these days expensive.

This.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I suppose if you are still at that place in life where 50.00 is a lot of money they do seem a bit costly but, when you realize 50.00 won't even keep groceries in the fridge or gas in the car for a week, 10-20 on points is nothing.

Well okay 50.00 does keep me in groceries for a week BUT that is because I hunt, fish, raise pigs, chickens and turkey's, grow a large garden each year, freeze, can , make my own jerky, sausages, cured and smoked meats, etc... so all I need buy is flour, salt, pepper, dry beans and milk.
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited October 2011
    DarkAmaranth1966 widening your view a little might is probably in order.

Your "not so much money" is often equal to other's "one week's total pay".

Even one dollar is a lot of money to some people.

What I pay in rent for a week is equal to what a friend of mine who lives in another country gets paid for his monthly salary.

To the 10% of the world who own 90% of the world's money, no it's not a lot but to everyone else.....a totally different story.
  • Options
    ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited October 2011
    You pay for what you get. $1=100sp. USA.
  • Options
    Candygurl84Candygurl84 Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited October 2011
    this!
    mene wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    EA games is headquartered in California, USA so that determines their operational costs and even by US standards, that's going to be high. Simpoints are not the same price in every country nor are the games themselves. Realative to the cost of the games, simpoints are close to the same.

If the SP is older, it's price is roughly the same as 1000-1500 points, a new EP is 4000-5000 points worth money wise. If you can afford the games, EA assumes that the points are also affordable, even if on a limited basis.

Yes I know in a few places what I spend for one meal at a restaurant is a month's wages, but I really don't think people making those wages would have the computers to run the games nor the ability to buy the games in the first place.

I know people on my road that make in a week what my family makes in a day and even they know that games and content for games are luxuries not meant for them.

It's hardly EA's job to be sure people can have simpoints and eat too - it's the individual's choice to spend their money on entertainment.

Not ONE of us NEEDS these games, sim points or anything EA sells, we all CHOSE to buy them over buying other things. now if we are fool enough to spend money with EA and cannot meet our needs because of that, that is on us not EA.

EA sells things at a fair market price as compared to other companies selling similar products. No points are not expensive. Go look at Aeria games, or any other game company that offers point based DLC and compare what cost you how much. EA is competitive, and that is where they should be as a company.
  • Options
    SunnyBelleSunnyBelle Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited October 2011
    I figure if I purchase 4000 sim points a month that is $56 New Zealand dollars equivalent to USD$44.50

When I look at that, I think I have a great hobby every day of the month for a pretty reasonable price. There aren't many clubs,groups,activities I could do for that kind of value!

It is all about choices and choosing. We don't have to have EA Store Items in order to play Sims3. They are add ons, not necessary but nice to have!

I love and look forward to DD and the DD Blowouts as these are a real value for money way to buy and get things from the store.

I love to sit down with my morning coffee and toast everyday and look at the DD! That for me is Priceless! :)
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited October 2011
    EA games is headquartered in California, USA so that determines their operational costs and even by US standards, that's going to be high. Simpoints are not the same price in every country nor are the games themselves. Realative to the cost of the games, simpoints are close to the same.

If the SP is older, it's price is roughly the same as 1000-1500 points, a new EP is 4000-5000 points worth money wise. If you can afford the games, EA assumes that the points are also affordable, even if on a limited basis.

Yes I know in a few places what I spend for one meal at a restaurant is a month's wages, but I really don't think people making those wages would have the computers to run the games nor the ability to buy the games in the first place.

I know people on my road that make in a week what my family makes in a day and even they know that games and content for games are luxuries not meant for them.

It's hardly EA's job to be sure people can have simpoints and eat too - it's the individual's choice to spend their money on entertainment.

Not ONE of us NEEDS these games, sim points or anything EA sells, we all CHOSE to buy them over buying other things. now if we are fool enough to spend money with EA and cannot meet our needs because of that, that is on us not EA.

EA sells things at a fair market price as compared to other companies selling similar products. No points are not expensive. Go look at Aeria games, or any other game company that offers point based DLC and compare what cost you how much. EA is competitive, and that is where they should be as a company.

Despite EA being headquartered in California they're a multi-national company with the ability to price in local currency, and amend prices per country (as you pointed out).

Respectfully, I disagree with what you're saying in regards to the pricing. As you even point out some people in your street can't afford the points. That in itself says they are expensive. You point out they are a luxury. That can't be argued, SimPoints definitely aren't staples.

But they definitely carry shonky pricing. Arguably, this is because there is no competition for what EA is doing. It's typical monopolistic overpricing to the extent of price-gouging. If the prices are the way they are because of operational costs then really it could be argued that the store model is flawed at its core.

Look at an EP - you get *very roughly* about 150 items in it. US$30
    An SP? Roughly 65 items. US$20
    Store? Roughly 75c per item

Until last year, Australian citizens were paying AU$17 for 1000 pts. Now they're AU$12 because enough of us kicked up a stink at the price rort. At release Sims retailed for 40% more than the US price, despite the actual dollar value being 20% different.

A Japanese store patron pays one us dollar more for simpoints, despite the fact they pay in USD and not JPY.

All of these facts point out that simpoints are not only priced VERY high even in comparison to other Sims products, there is disparity all over the place.

As for EA being competitive, the Sims has NO competition.

I'm not arguing with you here, please don't think that. I just think your post contains a few too many blinders.
  • Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited October 2011
    Well, if you like this game and you can earn your own money then its your right to spend some $$ for fun. That's the point of shopping, economics, hobbies... lol

But before you want to feed this giant profit-driven company, it'd be much more meaningful to spend your $$ for a little sweet surprise for your much-loved parents/family/friends/pets. Just to make your life balance..
  • Options
    Simmer_WillSimmer_Will Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2011
    What I personally find ridiculous is that for 8000 Simpoints it costs $96.00 CAD when the Canadian dollar (while not right now) has been at parity for quite a while with the USD, and yet it costs a RIDICULOUS $16.00 more in Canada! It's highway robbery. :x
  • Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited October 2011
    You should check the Refer-a-Friend promo to get 100 free points (for first time buy 1000 points) or 300 free points (for first time buy 2000 points) and 2 new outfits both for you and the referrer.

Added: I don't know if it's still available though. The footnote says "Offer expires 9/1/2011.."
  • Options
    ANMonte87ANMonte87 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Sry I just can't justify spending 30$ or so for a custom map to play on when I have already spent hundreds on these games since Sims1.

Not to mention they are wasting their time and rescorces making this a cash cow selling items in a cash shop when they SHOULD be fixing the massive lag problems 70% of players face to include myself.

Leaving it to players to make a mod to fix their crappy coding is just stupid.

I love the sims but im not willing to spend money on frivilous things such as * new imaginary furnature *

Free Free Free thats what new content should be, or sell it in packs on Cds for like 5$ they will still make a hefty profit off the sim fanatics.

Imo dont waste your money... it is NOT cheap. Its not even reasonable. Everytime i see something i want and i go to buy simpoints and see that 10,000 sim points is over 100.00 i laugh and say YA RIGHT NO THANKS K BYE.

They are robbing you.
  • Options
    Jillyson_Twozaks_1Jillyson_Twozaks_1 Posts: 3,334 New Member
    edited October 2012
    They are expensive in my opinion, but I'd (personally) be OK with it if the prices in the store were lower.

As long as the masses keep spending, they'll keep raising the prices.
  • Options
    heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited October 2012
    I suppose if you are still at that place in life where 50.00 is a lot of money they do seem a bit costly but,
    LOL this was an incredibly rude statement.

Realize this ..most simmers are teens who are living on allowance or minimum wage jobs.

I can afford sim points and the store and I think its often too much money to blow on downloads for a game too.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    edited October 2012
    The Sim points are far too expensive these days and its even more of a complete rip off you buy them by mobile phone.
    I think the store is far too expensive.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    edited October 2012
    heidi11576 wrote:
    I suppose if you are still at that place in life where 50.00 is a lot of money they do seem a bit costly but,
    LOL this was an incredibly rude statement.

Realize this ..most simmers are teens who are living on allowance or minimum wage jobs.

I can afford sim points and the store and I think its often too much money to blow on downloads for a game too.
    It was a more than incredibly rude statement.
    I agree with you, some people do not have such disposable income these days.
    Also, as a single parent of two children, I, and many others I imagine, have to prioritise what money we have and look forward to that time in the evening when we're home from work, children fed and in bed and we have just a bit of time to ourselves to play our favourite game, Sims 3.