Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Critique my first ever build!

DancingK8DancingK8 Posts: 395 Member
I've never really tried building anything before, and I was really surprised at how hard it is :P I sort of finished a rough draft of a typical suburban-y home and I'd appreciate feedback on how I could improve it (appearance, layout, etc.).

Front view of house/landscape
Screenshot-138.jpg

First floor
Floor plan from left-right, top-bottom rooms: Bathroom, dining room, kitchen, parlor, hallway, living room
Screenshot-139.jpg

Second floor
Floor plan: Bedroom 1, bathroom, bedroom 2, bedroom 3, hallway, master suite w/bathroom
Screenshot-140.jpg

Oh, and is it just me, or is the roof tool absolutely impossible to use? I had to use auto-roof, and I didn't really want to because it always looks all boring :P

Updated version! I only decorated the bottom floor.

Front view
Screenshot-141.jpg

Dining room
Screenshot-142.jpg
Screenshot-143.jpg

Kitchen
Screenshot-144.jpg
Screenshot-145.jpg

Living room
Screenshot-146.jpg
Screenshot-147.jpg

Study
Screenshot-148.jpg
Screenshot-149.jpg

Bathroom
Screenshot-150.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2011
    Well, it's better than my first ever build! Yes, the roofing tool is difficult to master. Practice, practice, practice is needed for that. The auto-roof is not terrible for this build although it can be for some. If you want to get serious about building, planning your own roofs is something you'll need to master.

Do you know how to use the MOO (move objects on) cheat? It's essential for landscaping and will let you create much realistic flower beds. To turn it on, hold down ctrl+shift+c, then type in "moveobjects on" without the quotes and hit enter. With this cheat on, you can then hold down the "alt" key when placing plants to place them off-grid for a more natural look.

Great start though! You might consider joining one of the building challenges on Creative Corner if you really want to hone your skills. That's how I got started and really started to grow as a builder. (Build-n-Share was my first challenge) Best of luck :)
  • Options
    Kitty_ScratchesKitty_Scratches Posts: 1,976
    edited June 2011
    It's Simazing. :P
  • Options
    MarLin114MarLin114 Posts: 1,724 Member
    edited June 2011
    If this is your first build...it's really great! I'm terrible at building and I've never done as nice a job as you are doing. I really like your floor plans. You have nice sized and shaped rooms. They'd be nice to decorate and it will be easier for sims to move around. My only suggestion: you might consider changing the front door to something that matches the windows and style of the house better. Landscaping is so much easier with the moveobjects on cheat that KittKat mentioned.

Please post pictures of your progress :)
    a.k.a. - Linda
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll see if I can decorate a bit and put more pictures up in a couple of days. I might give a building challenge a try.
  • Options
    Kitty_ScratchesKitty_Scratches Posts: 1,976
    edited June 2011
    DancingK8 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll see if I can decorate a bit and put more pictures up in a couple of days. I might give a building challenge a try.

Your very welcome. :-)
  • Options
    CloudwalkerNZCloudwalkerNZ Posts: 1,343 New Member
    edited June 2011
    A very impressive first build. :thumbup:

Well design and functional. :P The exterior can do with a bit more landscaping. A lovely fountain, a pool, spa, and a few trees will make it look very homely. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited June 2011
    For first build i am going to say...A M A S I N G. I am not really going to critique you but i will make a wee suggestion. To make the build more interesting i would make the top floor a wee bit smaller then the bottom and use this amasing roof totorial
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/375222.page to add really cool roofs.
  • Options
    k2m1took2m1too Posts: 3,128 Member
    edited June 2011
    DancingK8 wrote:
    I've never really tried building anything before, and I was really surprised at how hard it is :P I sort of finished a rough draft of a typical suburban-y home and I'd appreciate feedback on how I could improve it (appearance, layout, etc.).

Hi There! Nice job for your first time! My only comment (and it's not a critique, just a suggestion) would be to build on foundation. For a house like this, it would give it a little "umph" and you could build a nice porch for your entry way. Otherwise, good job. The more you build the better you will get, so keep it up!
  • Options
    Miley_rocks1999Miley_rocks1999 Posts: 308
    edited June 2011
    It is very good. I've been playing sims for 7 years (since I was 4 *very young age i know!*) And I have NEVER built a house like that!!!!
  • Options
    illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited June 2011
    That is a very nice house. Very impressive for a first house!!

There are lots of tutorials here on the site, maybe the will help you. The ones about landscaping where handy for me.
    Here is a list with tutorials.
  • Options
    LOVESTOSKATELOVESTOSKATE Posts: 1,868 New Member
    edited June 2011
    If your looking for a building competition I am hosting one right now the link is in my siggy! (If it doesn't work just let me know and I'll give you one!)

This is great for your first build, I can't wait to see your next piece of work!
  • Options
    DeathNoteSimDeathNoteSim Posts: 4,544 New Member
    edited June 2011
    It's really nice! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I updated with new pictures. I officially am in love with alt+moveobjects, I didn't know you could do that.
    I think the landscape looks a lot better, and I changed the front door too. I think I'll upload it tomorrow, it might make a good house for a legacy spare or something :P
  • Options
    svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited June 2011
    Can we see a sneak peak when you get it up?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sure! I'll put the link up for download.

I don't know if this cover picture is snazzy enough, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
    Screenshot-141cover.jpg
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited June 2011
    it's a really pleasant house
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi there! This is really nice for your first build.

For your next build, here are a few suggestions to up it a notch.

1) As someone mentioned, start your build with foundation. It really does help make it look a bit more realistic.

2) Also, when adjusting screenshots in your photo editing software, try not to play with too many filters as it can make your picture seem somewhat unrealistic.

3) When landscaping, try painting some dirt or mulch under the flower beds and around the trees.. it will really add to the build too.

4) Definitely try playing more with Create-a-Style more next time instead of using the default patterns and textures that come for the furnishings. That can really personalize your build!

Otherwise, really good job!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Gleek4EverGleek4Ever Posts: 206 New Member
    edited June 2011
    pretty good:)
  • Options
    SimShineSimShine Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2011
    Everything that Anjubee said :)

This is great for a first house!