Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Everytime I zoom out, the original Bridgeport home on the hill shows, rather than the house we built

Everytime I zoom out, the original Bridgeport home on the hill shows, rather than the house we built.

I'm not sure when this started in our save game, but for at least a day now, everytime I zoom out to map view, it no longer shows the house we made, but rather the original Bridgeport house. Is this a glitch, a graphics issue, or something else? If this has happened to you, please mention that as well.

Your thoughts, opinions, ideas, and suggestions are all welcomed.
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Only1whtrbbtOnly1whtrbbt Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2011
    Its been happening to me though - with EVERY house I modify in any town. I think its yet another LN related issue.
  • Options
    drewmann3301drewmann3301 Posts: 84 New Member
    edited January 2011
    i think it's not really a game issue, it is just that the neighborhood cache has not been refreshed since you changed the lot. When you zoom out to town view, that is a different view of the neighborhood, and that view comes from a different image saved in the game documents. i'm not exactly sure about this (it is safe to do, i've done it plenty of times - i'm just not sure if it will fix this problem), but you might try going into your game file location - on windows, My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

Once there, delete the 4 files: CASPartCache
    compositorCache
    scriptCache
    simCompositorCache

you can either send them to the recycle bin, or if you don't completely trust me, create a backup folder on your desktop and move the files to that location so you can replace them if you want to.

Again, I haven't tested this myself, but I remember having this happen to me a number of times since the base game, and deleting the cache files makes sense to me since that forces the game to refresh the images of everything saved in those files. let me know if it works for you. :)
  • Options
    rckljohnsonrckljohnson Posts: 23 New Member
    edited January 2011
    I tried that, but it still did the same thing D:
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited January 2011
    Don't know if this will help, but you can also delete everything in the "Worlds Cache" folder (don't delete the folder itself) .

I once had a house that showed as invisible when scrolled out. I fixed it by going to that house in build mode and altering something. Like add fencing , or change the wallpaper, add and/or delete some plants in the yard, then save.
  • Options
    simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited January 2011
    How widespread the issue is....I don't know. There have been a few threads like this with no real resolution.

The original Sunset Valley Hernandez house? I leveled and built over it long ago, and sometimes it reappears in the map view, sometimes, not always. It hasn't caused any other issues that I know of.

And yes, my cache files are deleted frequently :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    After I posted a suggestion here I started playing and the Bridgeport house my household moved into a long time ago, which I have made into a completely new house - I went to town view, and the old house was back. xP

Hmm.. I wonder if there is a way to fix this. I'll keep trying and let you know if I figure anything out :P in the meantime though maybe try going to Edit Town, add a neighborhood object somewhere random, and then save and return to the active household and see if that changes anything. Hah
  • Options
    rckljohnsonrckljohnson Posts: 23 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Thank you :)
    I'll try edit town. Hopefully we'll figure out something soon.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited January 2011
    hi: the issue has been around forever - an EA support person told me, long ago, that it is a game rendering "issue" - the game doesn't recognize the new or rebuilt house in map view.

If you make a small change in build mode (take out part of a fence and put it back
    for example) the correct house should show up in Map view. For a while, anyway.
  • Options
    Gomar6Gomar6 Posts: 1,072 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I get that too. The house I remodeled is ginormous now but it still shows a tiny little thing. Sometimes. But it's really not a big deal.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2011
    This issue affects any of the EA worlds, and is because they use static caches.

Each of the EA worlds has a static cache file containing textures (for the sims and lots) which the game reads when you play the world.

If you change anything in the world, like a house or a sim's outfit, then this new information is stored in different cache files, in your userdata (CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache).

Sometimes the game gets confused at which cache it should read, and the wrong texture is displayed- so your house looks like one that used to be there, as the game mistakenly reads that information in the static cache file.

The static caches are good when the worlds are first played, as the game can quickly read the information in them, and your world will look good and play well.

However, as you begin to play your world and replace lots, and change things about your world then the static caches become less useful.

To solve these problems you can remove the static cache files, and then the game will generate new caches and use the WorldCaches folder to store them in, in the same way as it does for Riverview, Barnacle Bay or any custom world you play.

To remove the static caches you need to copy the following file (for Bridgeport):
    [Game Install location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Late Night\ Caches\ Bridgeport.objectCache
    And put the copy in a safe place. This is because you will probably need to replace it before you can patch your game.
    Once you have made a safe copy, then you can delete [Game Install location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Late Night\ Caches\ Bridgeport.objectCache and start up your game. At first, textures may be black or white, and sims may be invisible- if this happens then pause the game and allow your computer a few moments to render the image and write the new caches. After you have played for a while, the game will have fully generated the new caches, and your buildings should display correctly.

When you exit your game you will notice that there are now two cache files for Bridgeport in Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ WorldCaches- these are dynamic caches.

You can switch any of the EA worlds to use dynamic caches in this way, just backup and delete the appropriate static cache (for example, Sunset valley static cache is stored in [Game Install location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Caches\ Sunset Valley.objectCache). Just remember to make a safe copy of the files before you delete tme, so that you can put them back if you want to.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    Phil51660Phil51660 Posts: 288
    edited January 2011
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this with us. I've never understood why old buildings and houses show up in the map view sometimes. I have so many problems with my game that I've ignored this issue because it hasn't caused any problems that I know of. Maybe it's part of the other problems that I'm having with the game, but I don't know. Anyway, anything that I can learn about the game is helpful. Sometimes all the problems come together and then there is a solution to them.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    thanks for that info simsample!!
    I've actually deleted the Sunset Valley.objectCache file before, because when I was desperate to try to get my game working when this latest patch first started causing issues and I didn't know what the problem was, I wanted to clear out any extra space that might make things just a little better. Even though I don't play my Sunset Valley family anymore, I removed that file and ran my game to see if I'd messed anything up, and it still worked. I just didn't know what removing it from my game files actually changed. But now thanks to you I know!! :D Woohoo
  • Options
    GAMESweetGGAMESweetG Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2011
    Im glad Ive noticed this thread because my customized house hadn't appeared correctly in Map View.

Im also going to try clearing the world caches and travel caches to see if that fixes my travelling problem for my previous saved game file to see if that fixes my sim disappearing problem after ive backed up the cache files into another directory that is.
    sims_forum_sig01OxVtU_display.jpg
    YouTube: Good Sweet Games | SoundCloud: GAMESuite Tunes | Pinterest: GAMESuite Pins | Twitter: GAMESweetG
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2011
    The reason why EA have made the static caches in the first place is so that the world looks nice the first time you play it.

If you do remove the static caches then when you first enter a world and see the fly-over camera view, you might notice that the world looks black or perhaps invisible! This doesn't mean that the world is broken, just that the computer has not had time to build new caches yet. EA wanted to avoid this and so built the caches for you already.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds