The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, how was the sales of the last expansion? I only ask because...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Blue_Moon_LoverBlue_Moon_Lover Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2010
    I think we'll get the new reward from lifetime points to get some card that will allow you to enter all clubs. :)
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,378 Member
    edited September 2010
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    I think that people are starting to make Mr. Humble and company realize that they're getting fed up with the goal-oriented, rpg style of gaming and are preparing to start voting with their wallets.

So, maybe that's why they're changing their focus. It ought to be really interesting around here right around release day.

I agree with Jarsie9, I think EA started to realize that this whole rpg style of gaming wasn't going to fly for simmers too much longer. When it comes down to it the sims is basically a sandbox game with lots of replayability and that always been it's main appeal. And once you lose the game's core appeal, you lose followers of the game, which means less profit and EA does not want to lose any money on one of it's most successful franchises to date.

I personally am thrilled with this EP. Not only because it will bring back more traditional sandbox play, but because it's basically like the EP I've been dreaming of. Nightclubs, bars, bartenders (mixologists), and plain socializing. All I can hope for next is weather.

Hi,
    I totally agree with you and Jarsie. It is true that the sims has always been a sandbox or "Doll House" as so many have stated in the past. This questy stuff has been really annoying, so I too am glad to have this ep as well.

Like the OP I was about ready to pack it in and say farewell, but now not so much. I think Humble and company have to really decide who it is they want to play their games. A good question they might want to ask is, "Are we going to lose the traditional Simmers by courting the traditional gammers?" As far as I am concerned, the answer is a big fat yes. I would advise R.Humble to think about the old saying: "A bird in the hand..." The bird is us, we traditional simmers. The two in the bush is the gamers. Think hard, Rod. I don't think you can have both.

My two cents worth anyway.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    bobthepinkmonkeybobthepinkmonkey Posts: 123 New Member
    edited September 2010
    i agree with the op, i really don't like the adventure style gaming that came with WA, but i LOVE ambitions and the small objectives to earn money (i just hate controling two at a time) i don't think this one will be adventure based because i can't think of a way to make it so, it's more about letting our beloved sims have the best nights of their lives and personally i can't wait to take my 3rd generation(and now 4th generation) legacy sim barhopping!
  • Options
    Simmerd80Simmerd80 Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited September 2010
    Opmystik wrote:
    To be honest I don't think it had anything to do with the figures. TS3 sells period. Why because there are people who will always buy the eps. I think this pack was coming all along. If you read the newspaper in the sims there was stuff pointing to it. There was the actress thing that said they were gonna come to town and do some type of movie. There was some other stuff but at the moment I can't remember what they are.

Plus think about it at some point of time there had to be a social like ep. It could all be work and no play. I don't think they did this because people were asking for it I think they did this ep because it made sense. EA isn't totally oblivious. They just had a certain plan ot how they were going to implement stuff. Which ones they wanted to get out when sort of thing. I wouldn't doubt that the whole series has been planned out since TS2 days and they are just trying ot figure out the order in which to release them.

They did WA 1st because vacation didn't do so well last time when they released it so this time they got it out of the way when people were desperate for a change of scenery. They did Ambitions second since people been asking for a long time that they wanted ot follow their sims to work and it would be something new. Now they are doing Late Night because I mean alot of people after work like to chill and do the whole cocktail hour thing and people like to go out on weekends and it was time for something social.

Do I think they do some stuff because people asked for it, yes. Do I think people take credit for the stuff yes. But some of this stuff especially build and buy mode stuff could easy just be thrown in any ep. Also remember that mods are create from stuff already coded into the game. Modders just play around with them and make them "active".

100% this^
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    doodlesam wrote:
    Opmystik wrote:
    Doodlesam did you play TS1 Superstar? Have you forgotten that it was just like the gameplay for celebrity even back then? In real life either your famous just because of something your family did and partying cough *Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie* or your famous for doing a star cough *Kim Kardashian* or your famous for being related to someone who did a star cough *Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian* and the list goes on. Regardless to be a star takes work period. Either you have to know someone or do something outrageous or just be a partier.

In essence I don't see this being any different then TS1 Superstar. IDK maybe I'm wrong but being a celeb takes work. In real life you get things normal people don't get it's just how it is. Plus you don't have to be a director or actress to be famous in this pack. I think all you gotta do is reach the top of whichever career you do. That makes it easier to get the "rewards" if you think about it. It's not like they are saying oh you can only get this from being an actress or a director. And there's also a Lifetime Reward or whatever that lets you get in everywhere. Idk to me that makes it very open ended. But hey that's just me.

Yes, I did. And as I said, I have NOTHING wrong with it. :)
    Its just after two heavily strutured packs, and now a third semi structured pack. My hope for the developers is slowly diminishing. :(

And as for realism...since when is it "realistic" to only be able to buy an expensive car if you're famous? I have absolutly no problem with the developers adding these rewards....if it makes sense.

Having to make your self famous JUST so you can buy a fancy car isn't realistic.

I'm all for the rewards such as the directors chair with the director career for it actuelly makes sense and IS realistic.
    But having to do so and so just to get some of the basic of objects/features is annoying.

Though I should of perhaps made myself more clear. I'm fine with having to be a celebrity in order to gain access to the best clubs. For, well thats perfectly reasnoble and realistic. But from what the recent previews say...it appears the majority of non VIP clubs will just be dive bars and ugly squats. Theres also the fact that apparently the majority of the clubs are in fact VIP.

Are we reading the same previews? Nothing I read gave me the impression all or majority of the clubs are VIP. Nothing I read said non-VIP clubs are dive bars or ugly squats.
    And what is this about fancy expensive cars not being available to anyone else but celebrities? First time I am hearing of this.
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited September 2010
    The exclusive cars and objects have been mentiones numerous times. As well as other celebrity benefits(that are yet to be revieled)
    Numerous fansites mentioned that te majority of the clubs insde the city area are mainly for VIP.

I can assure my points have been mentioned.
    Would post links but am on my phone. Hence all the spelling mistakes. :P
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    But it depends on how the word exclusive is used. Exclusivity can also mean towards the rich. A person with a net worth of 60,000 isn't going to be able to afford a 1.2 million dollar home or a 90,000 dollar luxury car. So the million dollar home and luxury car can be easily be categorized as things for exclusive members of society know to be wealthy.
    I think your too hung up on the celebrity aspect of the game and forwarding the word exclusive to only include them, which it won't.
    It helps to be a celebrity to get into VIP but it also helps to know the right people and if you don't money always talks. Remember you cannbribe bouncers too.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,924 Member
    edited September 2010
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    I think that people are starting to make Mr. Humble and company realize that they're getting fed up with the goal-oriented, rpg style of gaming and are preparing to start voting with their wallets.

So, maybe that's why they're changing their focus. It ought to be really interesting around here right around release day.

I certainly hope so. Although maybe not considering what they're doing with Sims Medieval, but I've got my fingers crossed that they will eventually produce a Medieval game with aging.
  • Options
    smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited September 2010
    [quote=windweaverLike the OP I was about ready to pack it in and say farewell, but now not so much. I think Humble and company have to really decide who it is they want to play their games. A good question they might want to ask is, "Are we going to lose the traditional Simmers by courting the traditional gammers?" As far as I am concerned, the answer is a big fat yes. I would advise R.Humble to think about the old saying: "A bird in the hand..." The bird is us, we traditional simmers. The two in the bush is the gamers. Think hard, Rod. I don't think you can have both.

My two cents worth anyway.
    [/quote]

It is us 'traditional' players who will still be player the game in years to come. EA can't lose us nor should they turn their back on us after ten years!
  • Options
    toovivacious4utoovivacious4u Posts: 105 New Member
    edited September 2010
    It is not the content of the ep's that has me extremely hesitant to purchase Late Night, it's the ever expanding list of glitches and bugs that EA chooses to ignore. I want very much to believe that the new ep will play well but I cannot after seeing the absolute carnage that Ambitions inflicted on my game.

Until they stop ignoring the problems and fix the bugs, they will not get another dollar from me.

I miss Maxis!
  • Options
    SmeeliaSmeelia Posts: 2,334 New Member
    edited September 2010
    doodlesam wrote:
    The exclusive cars and objects have been mentiones numerous times. As well as other celebrity benefits(that are yet to be revieled)
    Numerous fansites mentioned that te majority of the clubs insde the city area are mainly for VIP.

I can assure my points have been mentioned.
    Would post links but am on my phone. Hence all the spelling mistakes. :P

I agree that some things that are intended to be "rewards" can end up feeling like they're just "restricted", especially when it's something you'll use quite often but you don't want to go through the process of unlocking it every time.

I'm not sure it'll be quite as bad as you think though, it seems that the "fame" system will have a fair bit of flexibility so you'll be able to choose which activities to carry out to build "fame" and it wont be the same for every sim. Similarly, they've mentioned that there'll be a few ways into any club (hacking, bribery and so on) so even if you don't make your sim famous the VIP clubs wont be totally off-limits (just more difficult to get into, which could make for some interesting gameplay itself).

I agree that it'd be annoying if cars, hot tubs and so on were restricted to certain celebrity levels but I'm not sure it'll be that way in the game. Unless they remove those items from Build/Buy Mode or add a system to restrict items in Build/Buy Mode then they should be available to anyone that can afford them. They could also have some kind of "Celebrity Shop" like the Special Merchant in WA but I'm not sure they'll do that. I do think Penthouses will probably be restricted (the question being how it checks that restriction) and I'm not really fond of that idea.

I know they've mentioned "celebrity perks" in relation to a lot of items but I'm not sure that they mean they'll actually be restricted to celebrities in gameplay terms, just that they are the sort of things that celebrities might be assosciated with. I have to admit that I wouldn't be totally surprised if they throught they were doing something good by having lots of "rewards" for celebrities and failed to realise that some people might like to use those features without having to make their sims in celebrities every time but I'm hopeful that they haven't fallen into that trap.

If it comes down to it, I wont mind too much if there are restrictions as long as there are cheats to overcome the restrictions as well. For WA people often ask if there's a cheat for Visa points and unfortunately there isn't. I'm hoping that Late Night will include cheats to give sims celebrity status and the "Buydebug" cheat should still give us access to most of the items so at worst it just means that I'll have to play with the system a bit to get the results I desire. The important thing is that it's possible to get those results without having to follow a single pre-determined path.

Of course we don't know for sure exactly how it'll work and it could end up being far more restrictive or much more flexible than we expect. For now, I'm staying cautiously optimistic :).