Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood - Should I get it?

I gather the Parenthood pack is fairly popular (at least, a recent Sims Community poll ranked it as the best game pack).

Now, I am a big fan of "coming of age" stories. In fact, supernatural or sci fi coming of age stories are my personal guilty pleasure (which is probably why my own SimLit story is one). I'm wondering how well Parenthood fits with growing up and these "coming of age" stories.

At the same time, I must confess I have avoided the Parenthood pack almost from the moment I heard of it. As a parent, I know that every parent has their own ideas of what "good parenting" is. While I do not want to hold that real life debate here, I know that the game - being a game - has to have its own answer to that. The very nature of the pack seems to require parenting interactions that lead to "good" or "bad" outcomes. I worry about how I'm going to feel about that. (Full disclosure, I can't finish the aspiration from the Cats and Dogs expansion because I don't like that "cat jumping on the counter" is considered a "bad" behavior that should be disciplined. :) )

So, I guess my question comes down to two parts -
  • Would Parenthood add dimensions to my "coming of age" stories?
  • Is the Sims definition of "good parenting" ingrained into the pack such that, if I disagree with it, I'm going to have a problem enjoying the pack?

Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls

Comments

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,289 Member
    edited February 7
    Bookmarking this thread.. as I don't have parenthood either, been avoiding it too, tho for slightly different reason.

Just recently starting to get enough of the pantless sims (that pack must have the best gym - outfits ever) in gyms. When ever I download a sim, it usually has gym pants at least from parenthood :smile:

Had topless sims sometimes too, because of that.

Just curious, if there is tiny tiny chance I might some day have it.
    Post edited by Ellupelluellu on
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,573 Member
    i would answer yes its worth adding if you went challanges ingame
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    There are some annoying pop-ups that come with the pack that are a bit forced and that affect the Parenthood character values. You can't opt out of them and have to choose a response that raises one trait/value and lowers another. For me, that's the worst part. They're not that bad, though, and as a whole the pack feels much less invasive to me than Sims 3 Generations. It generally lets you choose how to discipline or not your Sims' children as you like.

I'm not sure that Parenthood would add anything significant for storytelling.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    edited February 7
    The point of doing parenting interactions is so that when your sim ages up to YA, they'll get "character traits." Yes, there are "positive" and "negative" character traits, but there's actually no "good" or "bad" judgement of your parenting based on the traits your child sim gets. You can purposely try for negative traits if you want. It can be great for storytelling, actually. For example, if I have a Mean child sim, I can actively try to parent that kid so that they age up with the Insensitive or Argumentative trait. And of course, the kid can do interactions on their own that influence their character traits; the parent doesn't even need to be involved.

As for aspirations, the Super Parent aspiration does require you to have one child age up to YA with 3 positive character traits. But it's really not hard to achieve at least with one kid. Your other kids can be as awful as you want. ;)
  • Options
    jeLlyBeAn1573jeLlyBeAn1573 Posts: 755 Member
    I agree with haneul, the pop-ups do make me cringe as a RL parent sometimes. Many times I don't like either option and I don't agree with what character values are increasing and decreasing as a result of my choice. However, I do still enjoy the pack and find value in it. The pack does leave room for you to discipline or not as you see fit and the time-outs, schedule board and school projects add a nice touch to having sim families.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    I'm doing the 100 Baby Challenge, so I've had a LOT of kids. I don't even really read the chance cards anymore because the scenario doesn't actually matter. I just choose the option that raises or lowers a character value for a trait that I want the kid to have. (My parent maxed out the parenting skill a long time ago, so I can see the full outcome of every choice.) Yeah, I told my kid they can eat dirt, so what? lol
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,532 Member
    If you like coming of age stories then you might like your children/teens getting special traits from character values. You can choose if you want to go for positive or negative ones. While this is a pack about parenting, it doesn't feel like parenting equals disciplining younger sims. Sims can raise some character values by activities like set the table, doing homework ir playing with the doctor set. I think getting all the character values is quite hard but it is optional. If you don't want to, then just ignore it and you sims won't gain the special traits. The only downside is that there is no off option or cancel button for the pop ups. Other than that no complaints.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,840 Member
    edited February 7
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    I don't even really read the chance cards anymore because the scenario doesn't actually matter. I just choose the option that raises or lowers a character value for a trait that I want the kid to have. (My parent maxed out the parenting skill a long time ago, so I can see the full outcome of every choice.) Yeah, I told my kid they can eat dirt, so what? lol

This is me. As long as the skill is high enough, it will tell you which values it affects. I go for what they need or what isn't as easy to raise or if a value is lowered, I know what will be easier for me to raise it again quicker. Some are easier because I am already having them do things that effect a certain value and using the chance cards allows me give little boosts to values that I need to do something extra for. Doing some of the tasks for Scouting and the tasks for child aspirations will also cross over to help build values.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited February 7
    I used to like Parenthood a lot for the added character traits, but I admit I've grown a little bit bored with the pop ups. My main gripe with the pack is that it's geared towards positive character values and getting the negative traits can be very grindy. With all that said I still feel the character traits are worth the trouble! They help with shaping up my sims. Some of the traits are quite powerful, others less noticeable. Responsible/irresponsible is one that has a huge impact. Good mannered/bad mannered is also useful.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,111 Member
    I can't add all that much to the discussion about the character traits and pop ups, but for me the main part of this pack is the parenting skill and the interactions that come with it. That you can influence (or force) your child to do certain interactions (like take a shower, go to bed, or play), and that you can teach your child things like saying thank you or sorry. I like these interactions because they add more variety to the game.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,361 Member
    I like the Parenthood pack. I like the assets it adds, I like the interactions, I more or less like the character values - and your average sim is only going to grow up with one or two positive ones on Normal Lifespan unless you really try (most likely Manners and/or Responsibility) so it can be ... while not exactly ignored, thanks to the pop-ups, if it doesn't suit a sims development, there are easy ways to minimize the impact.

And even with the pop-ups, after a while you'll start to remember which interaction affects which character traits, so even if your parent sim hasn't maxed out parenting, you can still direct some options. I just wish that Empathy was a bit easier to build up.

Parenthood also introduced School Projects, which I've used to help build a sim's childhood (and before HSY, teen) friendships (3 or 4 sims can work on a project together) Just be sure you have a lot of space for it, as they take up 6 tiles until they're complete.

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,375 Member
    The pack operates on the idea that a child is an empty shell to be programmed with values. Therefore attempts to influence the child in a certain direction will ALWAYS be succesful. Yes, the child may get an annoyed moodlet from having to learn to say thank you, but the lesson will stick.

Sims can only influence children towards negative character values if they already have one of the negative traits. Only bad mannered sims can encourage farting, for example, well mannered and neutral sims can only discourage it. So even though the game doesn't directly judge the player, there's a clear bias towards "correct" play. In an unmodded game it is also much harder to raise a sim towards the negative character traits than towards the positive ones.

You can use the new "Ask for advice" feature in very different ways. If you answer your child/teen's dilemma from the parents point of view, the child will gain or lose points for two of the five character values.
    However, with high Parenting skill you get a preview which values will be affected, so if you already know that your young sim will be Empathic, for example, you can always choose the answer that will raise their Empathy. That alleviates the issue of children getting programmed a little and lets them be their own characters.

If you play without free will, you will be locked out of the "Ask for advice" interaction, which is imo the most important tool in this pack. In this case you should get the "No ask for advice" mod, that disables autonomy for this interaction and makes it user-directed instead.

When you use a discipline action (grounding from object use, friends etc.) or give a young sim timeout, I've seen sims become focused from that and the accompanying moodlet even said how helpful that was. It was incredibly cringe, and I don't use the punishments anymore. That isn't to say my parents don't discipline their teens in their own ways (many of my sims of any age are not nice people), I just strongly dislike the scripted ingame punishment interactions.

The Responsibility value I like to think of as Work Ethic instead. It can be a bit annoying to read what the game considers responsible behaviour, but after flicking that mental switch I was fine with it.

With that out of the way, the CAS and BB are really good. When the pack was new, Backyard stuff and Parenthood were my favorite combination.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Others have gone into explanations about the text scenarios that usually happen during the school day and that are tied to parenting skill. I would also say that it adds more activities throughout the stages of growing up and it pairs well with the other family content. Admittedly, I don't really make delinquent kids. I skew strongly towards happy, functional and productive future sims so the pack goes with my playstyle. I do like making them all a bit different so I don't try to max out every character value for every child sim.

This pack has young sims doing things like volunteering, writing in journals, listening to music to calm down and some new social interactions that build or reduce character. They can also set the table which is a way to actually make sure that sims sit down for a meal together. It's a good idea to set the table for a holiday meal, for example.

I would say it is somewhat open-ended because you can take different interpretations of how parents should encourage children to turn out depending on what you emphasize with the character values. You can opt for a strict parent encouraging responsibility or a more lenient friendly parent who is in-tune with a child's emotions. You can instead go for raising ill-mannered, cursing brats if you want. I haven't so I don't know what it is like but you basically wouldn't correct them and wouldn't encourage any manners or responsibility or emotional control. Also, getting in arguments and doing mean interactions will make kids or teens "worse".

Not mentioned by anyone else I think, is that this pack does offer some interactions among adult family members after children have grown up. They have new social interactions with their parents and siblings such as "deep personal conversations" and "give family advice". I use these a lot to continue the sense that sim family members know each other and are close even when they have grown up. It distinguishes families from random sims. Again, you can combine it with other childhood or family-oriented packs and you end up with ways to differentiate families from each other. I would say it pairs with Kids' Room, Backyard Stuff, HSY, and obviously now, Growing Together. You end up with various activities that individuate kids & teens.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I regard Parenthood as an essential. I don't want to echo what everyone else has said. I think the only thing that hasn't been mentioned are the mood swings for teens.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,517 Member
    edited February 7
    I am a Parenthood owner.
    I’m not a parent IRL and have 0 insight concerning that part, plus I rarely play as a parent in TS4. I never completed any of the aspirations.

However…I personally find that having access to the character value reward traits does add a lot to my storytelling. These hidden traits come with new social interactions, both positive and negative. I would typically skip the “rearing kids” part and give my young adults parenthood traits via…I’m going to say it - cheats. My main sims are never at their best behavior, which is reflected in their negative traits, such as being argumentative, irresponsible or having bad manners. They belch and fart at the most inappropriate times and give rude introductions. Sims around them like them less, which can be challenging when you’re trying to get stuff done. They can crush other sims’ dreams. Ofcourse that’s not everyone’s thing, but I’m the kind of guy who WANTS sims to be a little more edgy, and parenthood really helps with that. It’s by no means perfect, but it helps.

Other PROs:
    • Setting the table. A small thing, but I like that we can do that.
    • Option to Discipline kids (comes in 3 different flavors) and give kids/ teens time outs ( at a higher parenting skill level).
    • The multicolored fairy lights ….I find that I use them a lot in my post apocalyptic builds/ shacks / treehouses.
    • After school projects. WHEN I play kids/ teens, that’s the most fun part. They can work on these projects alone or with friends/ parents. They get to build volcanos, castles, robots, rockets and possibly more. High quality builds have sweet little animations.
    • Private Journal. This little notebook offer stress relief ( to sims of all ages) , boosts writing skill and can be hidden. Perfect for historical play.
    • Not sure if this is basegame, parenthood or another pack but kids/ teens can shove each other, which is a nice touch. Mischief galore.

I feel indifferent towards phases & mood swings; I still haven’t figured out whether I like them or not.

CONS:
    • Kids making a mess. It doesn’t bother me too much, but it can get a little tiresome. I suppose the entire point of this feature is to encourage the kiddos not to be such messers.
    • Chance card pop ups. Yeah I agree with others on here, they can get a bit annoying, especially since the constant phone calls already exist.
    • Curfew. Good concept, not well executed, unless I’m playing it wrong… In TS3 the police ( police!!) would bring the kid home after curfew, and there would be trouble. In TS4…no one seems to care. When the curfew clock strikes …all the mischievous kids can stay out all night because mom and dad are happily snoring in their bed, completely oblivious to the fact that their kids didn’t make it home on time. BUT WILL BILLY EVER COME HOME?! Trust me, no one cares.

The lack of consequences in this game is one of its biggest issues- it makes everything feel rather bland.
    That said, Parenthood still adds that little extra flavor to my stories and I wouldn’t want to give it up!

EDIT: ( my goodness..,the grammar police was chasing me- but I’m afraid I won’t get it right tonight. 😆)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,375 Member
    [*] Curfew. Good concept, not well executed, unless I’m playing it wrong… In TS3 the police ( police!!) would bring the kid home after curfew, and there would be trouble. In TS4…no one seems to care. When the curfew clock strikes …all the mischievous kids can stay out all night because mom and dad are happily snoring in their bed, completely oblivious to the fact that their kids didn’t make it home on time. BUT WILL BILLY EVER COME HOME?! Trust me, no one cares.
    [/list]

The lack of consequences in this game is one of its biggest issues- it makes everything feel rather bland.
    That said, Parenthood still adds that little extra flavor to my stories and I wouldn’t want to give it up!

That's exactly why I like Sims 4 curfew better than the Sims 3 version.

Sims 3 dictates what my society looks like: there is mandatory curfew and it is enforced by the police. They always know where everyone is and home in on them from anywhere in town. They even grab a teenager from the street when he just wants to cross it to the wellness center right across before school. The parents have no say in how they react, they will autonomously scold the child.

In Sims 4 Responsibility value ticks down the longer the young sim breaks curfew. If I want my parents to care, I wouldn't sent them to bed while their kiddo is still missing. I can always direct them to be as angry as they want manually or decide that they don't care. It's my game, my characters, my rules.

Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,023 Member
    Other than the slightly annoying pop ups, which I eventually got used to. It’s quite a fun pack and gives so much game play. It has a lot of school activities like building a model volcano ( and several more projects ), for children and teens. It has some cute toys, like the doctor toy that I believe helps your child learn empathy. You can have children set the table to gain responsibility. And you have the choice to discipline ( or not ) your child for a variety of actions. Parents can begin learning the parenting skill right from birth ( possibly before if you want to read a parenting book ).

It is just super packed with game play options. If you love playing with families, I think it’s a must have.
  • Options
    [*] Curfew. Good concept, not well executed, unless I’m playing it wrong… In TS3 the police ( police!!) would bring the kid home after curfew, and there would be trouble. In TS4…no one seems to care. When the curfew clock strikes …all the mischievous kids can stay out all night because mom and dad are happily snoring in their bed, completely oblivious to the fact that their kids didn’t make it home on time. BUT WILL BILLY EVER COME HOME?! Trust me, no one cares.
    [/list]

Sims 3 dictates what my society looks like: there is mandatory curfew and it is enforced by the police. They always know where everyone is and home in on them from anywhere in town. They even grab a teenager from the street when he just wants to cross it to the wellness center right across before school. The parents have no say in how they react, they will autonomously scold the child.

In Sims 4 Responsibility value ticks down the longer the young sim breaks curfew. If I want my parents to care, I wouldn't sent them to bed while their kiddo is still missing. I can always direct them to be as angry as they want manually or decide that they don't care. It's my game, my characters, my rules.

I 100% agree with you that mandatory curfew should not be a thing. Sims 4 gives us more freedom this way. My game, my rules, absolutely.
    I just don’t feel that this curfew mechanism is very balanced.
    I personally miss the curfew police and wish we had a toggle to switch on/ off NPCs like this, the same way we have weather specific toggles or an option to turn off the celebrity system. In TS3 I can have my teens dodge the curfew police ( or the graffiti police ). That is the challenging and fun part for me, to try not to get caught. Unfortunately, in TS4 there’s no system like that in place at all.

I don’t send the parents to bed. They do that themselves. They’d do anything except scold the kid that arrives home late. They used to do this a lot more when the pack was released, nowadays the kid rarely gets reprimanded autonomously, regardless of parental skill level.

See, I already got the parents to activate the bulletin board, shouldn’t that be enough to trigger certain behavior? If I want them to be lenient parents I’d have them ignore the bulletin board completely by not setting the curfew clock to a specific time. Curfew doesn’t exist in a household in which no one cares about who does what and when. But I have to set the house rules through the parents. So when I play as a kid or as a teen, and mischievously stay out after curfew, I would like the parents to act accordingly, especially when they’re members of my active household. I don’t always want to direct my sims, I play with full autonomy on. I don’t always want to tell the parents what to do. I prefer to be in control to some extent, but I want the game to simulate behavior based on whatever traits and likes/ dislikes I give my sims. I want the game to surprise me, but in a logical way, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,133 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    There are some annoying pop-ups that come with the pack that are a bit forced and that affect the Parenthood character values. You can't opt out of them and have to choose a response that raises one trait/value and lowers another. For me, that's the worst part. They're not that bad, though, and as a whole the pack feels much less invasive to me than Sims 3 Generations. It generally lets you choose how to discipline or not your Sims' children as you like.

I'm not sure that Parenthood would add anything significant for storytelling.

I wish the character values pop ups would let you see the kid's stats for the relevant category at the time, but unless you happen to be playing that specific child at the time, you can't.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,361 Member
    [/list]

I like Sims 4 version better too, though a variant where you 1) have beat cops and 2) have to have your teen or child sim actually cross their path, rather than having the cops basically hunt them down, wouldn't bother me. I'd still want it to be the player's call on how the parents reacted, of course. And it should still be on a toggle for if your society even has a curfew or not.

What bothers me about the Sims 4 curfew board is that you can't set it by sim, so your child sims and teen sims have the same curfew, and you can't "reward" a more responsible teen with a later curfew (say for a job) than their troublemaking sibling. And you can't vary it by day, so no having a later curfew on, say, prom night if you have HSY, unless you remember to change it yourself.

So I usually don't bother with it at all.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,063 Member
    Honestly, the characteristic system is not that satisfying. It doesn't feel like your sims' parenting influences their lives and leaving them a better/worse adult for it. You have to hard grind it out to get the traits, and at that point it feels like I - me, the player - am doing all the work. it doesn't help that many of the major ways to boost your child's characteristics can be done without parents at all.

Childhood phases almost never happen for me. Neat idea, but they're so rare that I don't really have an opinion on them. I like the teen moodswings, which are much more common. But emotions are so incredibly easy to manipulate in this game. Mess-making would be a cute bit of chaos, if NPC kids didn't do it all the time on public lots, regardless of context.

I'd say the main reason to get this pack is the side content. Journals are a good way to build the Writing skill and control emotions, and it adds a touch of character. The table-setting mechanic is incredibly useful for making sure all your sims sit at the table together. School projects are great. The BB is pretty fun, the CAS isn't bad.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,133 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Childhood phases almost never happen for me. Neat idea, but they're so rare that I don't really have an opinion on them. I like the teen moodswings, which are much more common. But emotions are so incredibly easy to manipulate in this game. Mess-making would be a cute bit of chaos, if NPC kids didn't do it all the time on public lots, regardless of context.

I get the bear one for kids all the time, and my teens get the loud one a lot.

For me, although there are a few bugbears, I wouldn't want to play without the pack,
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

What bothers me about the Sims 4 curfew board is that you can't set it by sim, so your child sims and teen sims have the same curfew, and you can't "reward" a more responsible teen with a later curfew (say for a job) than their troublemaking sibling. And you can't vary it by day, so no having a later curfew on, say, prom night if you have HSY, unless you remember to change it yourself.

That’s a good point. I never thought about this since I rarely deal with more than one kid per active household. When I do, they’d be the same age, so the same rules apply to both.
    Gordy wrote: »
    But emotions are so incredibly easy to manipulate in this game. Mess-making would be a cute bit of chaos, if NPC kids didn't do it all the time on public lots, regardless of context.

True. It’s the mess making NPC toddlers and kids that can cause a bit of trouble. It’s very easy to get cross with those little buggers, and I believe an active sim can’t really say anything about it either if they’re not the kid’s guardian, or can they? I never had that option. I’d usually demand others to clean the floor with their ginormous mop.
    It wouldn’t be so bad if the paint splashes were mud colored, but it’s all those horrid primary colors that make my lovely public lots look truly dreadful.

I still think there are plenty of good reasons to invest in the pack, but it all depends on individual play style. 👍🏼

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited February 8
    Setting the curfew early is one of the easiest ways to grind towards irresponsible reward trait or just keeping the value in the neutral area. I think I mostly use it for that. Reading the discussion is has dawned to me that I'm perhaps not using the pack as intended as I don't utilise many things that come with it. I'm mostly focused on getting varying reward traits, because without much attention they tend to be the same.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,854 Member
    I got this pack and it's one of my least liked or played packs. While I think every pack is still good and worth getting, but I'm not big on family gameplay. I don't see the gameplay too much in this. I heard of the curfew, but I never used it as my kids are always home. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know
    The build buy is good. I like the smart fridge for some homes, and a couple of other features. I would think Growing Together is a better pack for gameplay.
    With Parenthood, everyone once an a while a dialogue box shows up saying something with a few options to choice, it doesnt matter which you choice, it always a good choice. I don't bother reading it, I just click whatever. It goes a point towards you being a good parent- whatever that means.
    It's not my cup of tea. BUT. I still think you want ever pack. I would get them packs in order of you niche and interest. If you're big on family gameplay, you will like it more than something that doesnt appeal to you.