Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most reviewed Expansions and Game Packs on SteamπŸ“‰ line charts πŸ“ˆ Update For Rent

Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
5ab30a47cead05aab74a3b74f6c0d6c978a2704f.jpg

I wondered what are the most reviewed Sims 4 Expansion Packs on Steam so I made this chart.
There are quite a view surprises (for me at least ^^').
(I know these are just reviews from one platform but these were the only data I could think of.
If you have other data/numbers related to the topic I'd love to know πŸ€— )
I wasn't aware that Horse Ranch was liked so much better than Growing Together. And then the slump between Get Famous and Snowy Escape.
Get to Work, Discover University, Highschool Years and Horse Ranch got more negative than positive reviews.
And I knew that Eco Lifestyle is not very famous but Get Together? 😭 Maybe I should write a view positive reviews for my fovourite packs πŸ‘©β€πŸ’»
And almost all EPs got the rating 'Mixed' except Get Together, Cottage Living and Growing Together. They got 'Mostly Positive'.

Data collected today.
fca9ff04ef133477d4246ce8bafd630ddc6351fe.pnj

Haha I have no idea why Get to Work positive+negative=/ all. I did my best but... yeah o.o Just checked: it's 196 instead of 194.
8bc2560c383c3fea74a4db7a669ee0c7b53b1356.pnj

The following screenshot shows the reviews of the Sims 4 Base Game
96f608575977fbd3f9d8d3a25e48a46087c17fc0.pnj

Yes, I love sitting on the sofa in the evening doing line charts ;)
Maybe I'll do this for the other DLC too.
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on

Comments

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Very interesting. I never would've guessed that Discover University would be so disliked...but Eco Lifestyle being the least reviewed sounds par for the course. XD
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    edited October 2023
    That's an interesting chart. I feel bad for discover university. That pack deserves better. Cats and dogs is remarkably positive if you consider that the pack offers no game play besides those 2 pets. The rest looks close to what I would expect from the sims community.

... I wasn't aware that Horse Ranch was liked so much better than Growing Together....

Drawing conclusions is a tricky thing because interpretation of numbers can be done several ways. What is more important : the number of reviews or the percentage of positive reviews? Horse ranch got more reviews so I would say it was/is more trending. Maybe because horses are a more straightforward concept to explain compared to growing together? However when you look at positive vs negative reviews I would say growing together with 74% positive reviews is liked better than horse ranch with 48% positive reviews.

Anyway it is interesting to look at. Would you be willing to do a similar chart for game packs?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Thanks for sharing,

Hm, yeah I dunno. If you see all positive reviews for a pack as some sort of perfect score and then score the packs from that then the packs don't have very good scores. Get together, Cottage Living and Growing Together seems to be most popular packs.

MIInCe1.png

But I would probably not see this as a reflection of how happy people are with the packs on the EA App.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,041 Member
    I can sort of see why. Get to work is basically a mashup of three packs, which means neither is done well. Especially the retail is so sub-par in comparison to what it could be and what previous sim-games has offered. Discover University and High School years both suffer from lots of rabbit holes and repetitive gameplay while both carrying high expectations and tremendous amount of unmet potential. I think we see disappointments in the numbers, but then that's only a guess.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options

ede6748f20d04660b841944794986e8fe710ca7b.jpg

43c93fb196d63b2582a1d4b9175742abe4bbeee0.pnj

b92f85cb76c745f86d036b2efe6ea71fd6d771d2.pnj

I made this chart from Steam data. From all TS4 Game Packs. The numbers of all reviews, positive and negative. Data collected today.

Supernatural Packs rule! They seem to sell so well, why don't we have fairies already? 😭

And I don't understand why they didn't learn from the Dine Out desaster and made the same mistake with Wedding Stories again!
    Why did they never fix it? Steam is not unforgiving. We've seen that from other games. After the developers fixed the bugs, the reviews can even go far up to 'very positive'. Imo the cost of fixing the packs is worth it when they can sell more copies. Who will buy Dine Out with such bad reviews?

Surprise of the day for me is Jungle Adventure... What? Only 28 reviews? This pack is amazing! Ok, in the reviews they claim it's no compare to Sims 3 World Adventures and they are right. But I would definitely buy it again. And I prefer it over many other packs. But each Simmer is different.

These are only the reviews of one provider but it's quite interesting for me to see how many reviews each of the packs got and to read through the very interesting reviews.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    These are really fun. I hope you keep doing these.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Interesting. I don't have horse ranch yet, but I agree with this. My favorites are Get Together and vampires. My least favorites are Discover University and outdoor retreat. My likes and dislikes follow these charts, which makes me second guess if I should pick up Horse Ranch. I'll probably get it on sale.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Well apparently the occult vs. realism debate is not a debate on Steam :D
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Not surprised by these rankings Get to Work was just done horribly they tried to much with both active and retail careers but ended up hardly doing anything retail is so boring and useless when in Sims 2 I used it every time I played but in Sims 4 I have not used it in years.

Played University once and was bored out of my mind and could not be bothered or willing to pay $40 for an "expansion" about horses not surprised the people who purchased it were not happy that pack really did not offering anything but objects we already have slightly altered.

High School Years is the only pack I'm somewhat surprised to be ranked this low there a handful of things that should have been done like schools in every world, game play options during class and more clubs and activities to do in them but overall decent pack.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I love your charts Lenny. Kind of gives a better perspective on the most liked packs. I am an occult nut, all my sims are supes and would love to have some more.

I was not surprised at Batuu, such a stink, but am a little surprised at Horse Ranch's number of negative votes. I thought it was a good pack, they really did the horses well.

Oh and of course anything to do with generations is going to be popular, lol.

Good comparison!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options

I added For Rent (but I did not update the data of the other packs)
    It looks like if for rent has the worst reviews of all Expansion Packs as far as I can see (the huge gap between positive and negative reviews and way more negative reviews than positive)
    9623610161164ea71aa77c19adf054c4634b05c9.pnj

I also added angry emojis to those packs with more negative than positive reviews.
    3 of the last 4 packs had more negative than positive reviews.
    Not a good tendency at all. I hope it shows in the sales so it hurts and they start to make things better.
    d3b5b39141f096fb1153169b25c6c4dc295ff4a5.pnj
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    Wow. I’ve seen people get fired over terrible numbers like that.

Just saying.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited February 6
    These are so interesting. What jumps out to me is how little reviews Jungle Adventure has gotten as whole. The pack itself is like a forgotten treasure.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 6
    musteni wrote: Β»
    These are so interesting. What jumps out to me is how little reviews Jungle Adventure has gotten as whole. The pack itself is like a forgotten treasure.

I think it says a lot about how much Simmers lean into open-ended play.

In general, I think both these charts reflect bugginess at pack release.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER β€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    People tend to write more negative reviews than positive reviews. Generally speaking people are more likely to take time to complain - about anything - than to write compliments so there tend to be less happy people writing reviews. An exception to that is probably fanbases for certain niches so we're seeing that with the supernaturals, cottagecore and probably the family player crowd. I'm just saying that those are the people more likely to take time to write a review. Jungle Adventure doesn't really fall into one of those niches so it probably just hasn't attracted reviews.

I think the strength of these packs is that people can customize what they want for themselves. Choose your playstyle. What you enjoy influences what you like and what you review.

I'll say that Get To Work is generally my least favorite pack. It's older. The mash-up of aliens with realism probably satisfies neither camp. The playable careers are like 2000s tv shows. It could use a refresh and not just with the aliens.

The school packs seem to have disappointed people maybe because they mostly drill classes and keeping a schedule. I mean, I do think that if you are sending a teen to school, you should expect them to attend class or else bunk out and accept the consequences. It's set up so that you can have your own gameplay around the school day. I think people wanted more time though for teen shenanigans and more social play maybe with more direction. Yes, prom happens a lot but you can delete what you don't want. I sometimes send my teens and I sometimes skip it. It does make for some drama for my teen heartthrob characters when they have to pick one date and offend the others. Personally, I like Copperdale, it's a world that is really growing on me though I would love to have a few more houses or lots in the wooded neighborhood.

About Discover University, you can do less classes in a semester and have more time for fun. I send students for 4 terms that I treat like years with some free time to develop. I haven't actually tried to do 4 classes in a term because the thought stresses me out. So, I think this can be played in a way that is more fun than if you just rush through. There are keg parties and campus activities.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,610 Member
    @Lenny_Ogg That does not surprise me; I prefer Horse Ranch over Growing Together. That data on game packs don't surprise me either except how poorly the vacation games Jungle adventure and outdoor retreat were reviewed, considering I use them a lot.

Honestly I like pretty much all the packs , and even the worst packs I wouldn't not trade in for it's retail value. Journey to Batuu has an excellent build buy and some of the best create a sim catalog. For rent should seems designed as a game pack, and if they fix the bugs, that would be my only quarrel for value.

If it was the end of the Earth and we all had to pick up and leave planet earth to live on some other planet and Ea said, but you can keep only one ep, it would be Cat and Dogs for me because I wouldn't want to live virtual life without my best friend. Cats and Dogs performing the best of all eps makes total sense.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I agree with luthien. The negative Steam reviews probably heavily reflect bugginess on release, especially for the last 4 EPs. When HSY came out, I remember seeing a Reddit post noting that there were 6 QA testers on that pack. The number of QA testers was in the dozens on earlier packs like Seasons. I'll bet there were no more than a half-dozen testers on any EP after HSY either. And I bet those QA testers live somewhere where most people count their earnings in dollars a day.

Setting the last few packs aside, when it comes to gameplay, what I don't like is when I have to change my game style to accommodate a pack's shortcomings. For example, I hate DU because it messes with my legacy-style play. My heir can't move to a dorm because they become separated from the rest of the family and I don't play rotationally. If you're a rotational player, you might hate it because you have to stay with your university sim until they graduate if you don't want them to fail. Even if your sim lives off-campus, classes are a grind unless you spread them out more and spend your sim's entire YA life taking courses. Or you have to turn off aging, which again messes with my play style. These are all valid reasons to give the pack a negative review. We shouldn't have to change the fundamentals of how we play to get the most out of a pack. The most well-reviewed EPs don't make us do that.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Steam is forgiving and I don't think a game has to stick with the reviews from release.
    There are games that got so many negative reviews after release, but after they fixed the bugs and they are 'very positive' now.
    Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on