Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions for improving historical gameplay

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited January 27
    I happen to be trying to rip the files from a disk I saved of my old games from one of my old computers ... its going very slowly and needed a program and some toothpaste (slightly scratched). There's a huge folder with historical-themed stuff in it from a few neighbourhoods and their stories. Willburke Graylands, Wonder Bay ... they both start with W ... I don't know why. Well actually Willburke is to combine the Burke and Wills names from Australian history and the name of the mental health hospital ... I suppose it inspired a W name for the next one. A lot of cc from Sussissogood and All About Style. I was interested in revisiting some of the writing.

Anyway, I used to write-in the strangeness, annoyingness and unsuitability of outsider, uncontrollable sims in my historical-themed stories as a bit of fun. I got some of my sim characters riled up about it, and some would go around trying to change and fix it and lecture those sims ... and it would be a thing with matchmaking - a class divide, and they'd say little things about it in their conversations ... and it made my sims look better, by the odd sims being odd, the contrast. At least I thought so.

In both of those neighbourhoods/legacy type stories up there ^ my main households were newcomers from a historical time, in a modern-day town. Like a time-travel.
    I remember it being a lot of work to set it up and the cc became a burden.
    It would be good to have a universal theme change, but it might take up a whole xp to include/exclude behaviours, technology and the associated skills, or a whole new game, so maybe its better, less stressful, and more entertaining to work it in and go along with it.

Sims 2 had a feature being able to makeover other sims including townies and npc's, in Open For Business with the hairdressing station. Sims 3 has it too, the makeover station and I think they can also makeover someone else in the regular mirror? Probably in the Ambitions XP. There's probably something similar in Sims 4.

With playing a legacy, back then, it was within the rules to be able to marry, but you were also allowed to just move in as friends, townies or npcs, and move them back out. Not sure if they were allowed to move back in after that, probably not. Anyway, besides the benefit of using them for their money, there's also being able to fix them up. That's another solution, and something extra to do. I had one game and household where that was all they did, like a halfway house.

I think if it was all too perfect, it might get boring and played sims wouldn't have as much contrast to be so special.

In the dark ages, there was hardly any or not as much evidence of everything, that's why its called the dark ages. Funnily, the main ones were the 1100's both BC and AD. Something about that number. 11.11. Strange when you look at the clock and it's 11:11. Anyway, so technically you could get away with adding whatever you like in a theme of those periods. Especially fiction. If written well you create the world where its perfectly acceptable for checking your phone in the middle of a Minuet dance.

The end.
    Post edited by DivinylsFan on
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited January 28
    I agree that we need more stuff. And it would be nice to turn off some interactions. In the meantime, it always helps me to consider the game world as an alternate world that the sims live in, and not just an extension of mine. In their world, cowplants exist, death has a physical form, and townies dress in strange clothes. When I’ve played a historical save, I start with the assumption that certain aspects of sim society advanced at the same pace as ours, while others stayed in the past. Therefore, my 1960’s surf band was completely able to communicate with cell phones, search for jobs on a computer, and socialize with townies who had a different dress style. It would be anachronistic if I played them as living in my world. But, since this was their world, it made total sense for them. It works for me until we have other options.