Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent - please help me decide

I'm thinking about picking up the For Rent pack, but I've heard that it's pretty buggy so I am undecided. I'm hoping you good folks can help me.

I should say that I'm primarily interested in it as a way to expand the available lot spaces for townies, more than for actually playing a landlord. Might play as a tenant, but mostly I want to add room for more NPC households in several worlds.

So, what do you think, should I get it? Will it do what I want it to do? Should I wait until the bugs get cleared up (either officially or via mods)?

Thanks in advance.
Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls

Comments

• Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    To be honest I haven't had much problems with the ep. I do play as landlord on one save. Mostly I have been adding builds to fill up like you said you want to do. Gives me more neighbours to visit/get to know.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 440 Member
    I want it for the same reason as you, but I’ve decided to wait. A couple of the bugs are pretty serious. I’m not willing to gamble on whether I’d get lucky and have no problems or unlucky and end up with corrupted saves. Instead I bought HSY for half price to have something else new (to me) to play with.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,044 Member
    I use it the way you intend to, and so far it has worked fine for me. Building and dividing properties is simple, assigning homes too. The one bug I've encountered is the popup for the unit looking weird and being unreadable, but I can still access the units and they work fine so it's not a big deal. I do also think it might be mod-related. I also like the new bb and cas. I haven't even visited the new world yet or tried any real gameplay but I am happy with it for what I wanted to use it for.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I picked it up because I'm interested in it and decided I wanted the bonus content. I decided to wait a little bit to actually play it to allow for any patching that might happen. Also, I've just been busy in my game elsewhere. So, I haven't played with residential rentals yet but I plan to. I also like the flexibility to expand the amount of available units on a lot and the different style of building as an option. It'll make me think about some of the blank lots differently. I've been to Tomarang once and found it to be completely fine. I liked the night market. The botanical garden was not actually a rabbit hole at least as I encountered it. I liked it a lot. The tiger sanctuary is but it's kind of like the gates in Jungle Adventure. I only briefly visited the sanctuary but I'm sure I'll play with it some more. I had interest in Tomarang as something different and I definitely have sims in my rotation who are drawn to SE Asia now because they can be.

If you're mainly wanting the residential rental gameplay, I'd say it's your call. You can either decide to get it or wait. You could wait until after the next patch whenever that is. You could get it and hang on or just get started. You could try it out in a test save before going into your main save. If you vote to wait or not get it, that's also cool. I guess it just depends on how and when you want to use it.

I do think I'll be doing more building in the new year and I'd like some of that to be new multi-family housing but I'll probably wait to be on the other side of the next patch to use Residential Rentals other than the ones that are already in the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,938 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    I want it for the same reason as you, but I’ve decided to wait. A couple of the bugs are pretty serious. I’m not willing to gamble on whether I’d get lucky and have no problems or unlucky and end up with corrupted saves.

This is why I wait too. Just in case as I am not in hurry. :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,593 Member
    The other day in my brand new save I was having a horrific time downloading my own builds to place in the town. I just wanted to add a restaurant or two. But the game would totally freeze, and I'd have to employ Task Manager to exit the Sims4, which is bad, since most of the time I didn't think to save the game, first. Oh, well, I plan on a total restart of that save. Yikes. I would wait for a bit.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,579 Member
    I personally wouldn't buy the pack in the current state, but then I'm also waiting for a sale anyways.

I found this video quite informative on the current state of the EP (and that gal didn't even have one of the game corrupting bugs):
    https://youtu.be/RtNoxdHkFiM?si=CWbawdum4a_JZY0Y
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,643 Member
    Well... On the one hand, it sounds like it will (theoretically) do what I want it to do. On the other hand, it sounds like waiting at least until the next patch drops is probably a good idea for me.

I appreciate everyone's input.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,681 Member
    I got it on release and had no problems. But I mostly built and worked in CAS creating new households. Assigned rental units to just a couple lots, and moved in just a couple households. I have a feeling many simmers run into problems when switching those lot categories. Like switching from rental to plain residential before removing any unit specific traits and challenges. It seems like the game should give a few warnings before switching category, it should not be possible if it causes problems...

I believe you will be safe if you just move households into units, and the leave them there. But probably even safer if you wait ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

If you plan on using the lot challenge maintenance troubles and not playing as a tenet or landlord. The events are text and nothing happens when they are active or when they end. Also the lot challenge is only available when the lot is residential only.

Steam screenshots showing an event and it's ending text.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3125354671
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3125352907