Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you deal with constantly sick pets?

I know: take them to the vet.
But it's tedious. As soon as I switch to a household with a pet, it's sick.
beb5c3d3191875b2e45630d56c8439176d86cde1.jpg
And when I just want to play a bit but first I have to go through half an hour of loading screens and pet treatment...
Or is this just in my game? Even when I meet random pets in the worlds they are often sick.
Would it help to delete the vet clinic in brindleton bay?
What I started to do is that I cheat one of the Sims in the pet's household the max vet skill and place the 'Dr. Magi-Heals get better table' in the households inventory to spare us the hassle (and the poor pet's yeowling on their way to the vet...).
I know that some of you don't use cheats. Just in case for some who do:
Here is the cheat if you want to copy/paste and save some time:
stats.set_skill_level Major_Vet 10 (hit STRG/CTRL + SHIFT+C to open the cheat console)
a3d5cd66eb9e99ea40f78c9bae4b01e0170d05b6.jpg
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,398 Member
    You can buy wellness treats from the vet and they help keep your pet well for long time. I usually buy several and have put a wellness treat fridge in other shop too, so I don't need to go to the vet specially to buy them. Also, not sure if it helps, but sometimes I also cook for my pets those home cooked meals.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    @crocobaura Ah that's a good idea, thank you!
    I'll try to have a few of the treats in stock and try to remember to feed them before I switch household ^^'
    I wonder how long it lasts, though, since I don't play for weeks/months with some of the households.
    Strangely their plants stay in the state of how I left them, the pet's don't...
    (My sims always cook for their pets. They barely eat the standard food from the bowl.)
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    I reduce the problem by not allowing my households to keep pets :)

It could really need some fine tuning, though. Playing on rotation it feels like bad game design. My (few) pet owners go to the vet to buy 50 red "get well" treats, and then back home they will fill a table or shelf with them for any household member to quickly use them when I arrive the lot.

That said, if you do nothing, the illness will (normally?) go away after a couple simdays. Not sure if giving the pet a lot of attention might help them cure sooner. Like comfort will help a human sim to get well.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited June 2023
    I used mods to get rid of it, I never understood why pets that we don't play had to be sick all the time.
  • Options
    Maybe that's a bug or afftected by neighborhood stories. My pets are never that sick. I usually give them a wellness treat immediately after they join the household and maybe a second one soon after the first one and that's it. After that it's very rarely that I need to give them again. They are never sick when I return to their household after a while. But they do get lots of attention, not sure if that helps with their health though.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    The firs t time a pet gets sick, I usually sign them in to be treated, then buy 4 wellness treats to keep me going.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    I go to the vet clinic and load up on the wellness treats from the vending machine. I buy like 10 at a time.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,098 Member
    I don't allow anyone except my currently played household to have pets anymore (with the exception of the Heckings and Rosie). And they've only ever had two cats in all these years. It's just too obnoxious.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,971 Member
    edited June 2023
    buy as many wellness treats as I possibly can whenever I go

take the pet to vet when i run out of those

only Delgatos have vet items in their house so far and i have not been playing them

I also haven't been to Brindleton Bay much though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    You can buy wellness treats from the vet and they help keep your pet well for long time. I usually buy several and have put a wellness treat fridge in other shop too, so I don't need to go to the vet specially to buy them. Also, not sure if it helps, but sometimes I also cook for my pets those home cooked meals.

I tried to place wellness treat fridges on other community lots than the vet some years ago, but they never worked, and iirc they needed to be tended by a played vet. Has this changed or is there a work around? I'd love being able to buy treats from a more local community lot, even if it is not a vet lot. I don't play any Vet btw.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options

I tried to place wellness treat fridges on other community lots than the vet some years ago, but they never worked, and iirc they needed to be tended by a played vet. Has this changed or is there a work around? I'd love being able to buy treats from a more local community lot, even if it is not a vet lot. I don't play any Vet btw.

It was a shop lot. Think I bought the treats from the vet and placed them in shop fridge.
  • Options

Just tried it: it is possible to get the wellness treats from the buydebug menu.
    So you don't need to go to a vet or a community lot.
    It is even possible to put them into the vet fridge on your home lot.
    I'm not sure how this works on a community lot since you cant pick up stuff there.
    But maybe it works like for the food and there is an option to 'put away' if you place them from the buydebug.
    53b230ae41c111ebdcc0bd2be6c1a2b84c00ccb6.jpg
  • Options
    MiddayMidday Posts: 32 Member
    Definitely stock up on wellness treats. Like as many as you can afford. It's so annoying to cart them back and forth to the vet
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I use a mod to keep the pets from getting sick. It became a nuisance to the point of being broken in my game. My Sim's pets would constantly get sick and every wandering pet was sick, dirty and suffering in some way. I couldn't take it anymore.
  • Options
    @Winifred_Willow Yes, that's the saddest when you are seeing the poor sick pets running around and you cant help them.