Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Victorian homes real life vs. Sims

surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
I actually couldn't really think of a good title to encapsulate what I wanted this to be about, lol. However, it's equal parts meant to serve as a reassurance post, and also point out that sometimes what homes look like in real life doesn't really translate over into the Sims. Victorian homes are a great example of this!

Also, did you know Victorian home is an umbrella term for ton of different styles? Like they share some things in common, but the styles sometimes are completely different. And in truth the more you look at some of the more decedent styles, the more it starts to become clear...Victorian homes are just...extra. They aren't as sensical or nice I think as most of us think, and the ones we are thinking of are more modern takes on them.

See, much like the clutter of Victorian homes (which is something Sim builders like to achieve in their homes lol) was to showcase their wealth. Same with the more molding and wood trimming, clearly the more money you had! But it made the homes one, a giant fire hazard, as most chimneys hadn't been properly built for ventilation and such. And they were so tiny despite their large appearance because off all the extra stuff tacked onto the home, not just people being smaller back then. If you've ever been in a historic Victorian home, those stairs are deadly, and everything is cramped. The house feels more messy than decorative.

But yeah they come in a variety of shapes and styles I want to show here, and next time you think your Victorian home looks off, it might be closer to the real deal than you think! They are an odd style for sure!

5fe600ed7821d8cddf33dd95cea67fd6l-m897758263xd-w1020_h770_q80-2-696x407.jpg
Castle-Victorian-in-Nebraska-for-Sale-3.jpg
180887029.jpg
a55ddfe452bb253219aa860475746b47-e1488305662499.jpg
2acc8e9b736f3bfa0172fe390264abb0.jpg
91a0a45e1cf603dd38151351c8b3b37b.jpg
Sometimes they were simple too. So if the over-the-top styles aren't for you, or you're just starting out here is some inspo for you!
Folk-Victorian_Home_.jpg
folk-victorian-built-with-vinyl-siding-vinyl-siding-institute-imgec31e2fa0ff1f697_14-3016-1-ceccfdf.jpg
italianate-architecture-michigan.jpg
(Yup sometimes there were just nice squares lol)

Comments

• Options
    AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Phew! I've never fully got my head around the American Victorian style and it's made me to afraid to build one, so this is so reassuring! Thank you :)
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I don't really tag my builds as specific styles
    since I am sure they are quite inaccurate in way or another

for one because of my minimalist perfectionist tendencies
    and modern comforts I want my sims to have

but also because the game just doesn't have the correct assets
    and the proportions can be all kinds of wonky
    where huge mansion homes turn into small homes
    and small homes turn into huge ones
    all because you were trying to match how the windows look

also as for the stairs I see so much love for spiral stairs for how they look
    but as someone who lives in a house with spiral stairs in it... it's a death trap. absolute death trap :lol:
    nothing against it though I'd still love them but its just funny to me how these things become such wanted build assets
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    AlphaFFrog wrote: »
    Phew! I've never fully got my head around the American Victorian style and it's made me to afraid to build one, so this is so reassuring! Thank you :)

I think most people think of the Queen Anne style or the Second Empire, and they are incredibly intimidating and the hardest to recreate because of limitations in the game, via what is available and how things are allowed or not allowed to overlap. This is why I added in the more simple-looking homes, as it really shows just how vastly different homes looked during this era.
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really tag my builds as specific styles
    since I am sure they are quite inaccurate in way or another

for one because of my minimalist perfectionist tendencies
    and modern comforts I want my sims to have

but also because the game just doesn't have the correct assets
    and the proportions can be all kinds of wonky
    where huge mansion homes turn into small homes
    and small homes turn into huge ones
    all because you were trying to match how the windows look

also as for the stairs I see so much love for spiral stairs for how they look
    but as someone who lives in a house with spiral stairs in it... it's a death trap. absolute death trap :lol:
    nothing against it though I'd still love them but its just funny to me how these things become such wanted build assets

I feel this, and like I said above the building limitations on what can overlap, and if you use the build mode cheat sometimes can cause some unpleasant clipping.

I felt the mansion into small home and vice versa in my soul. There is a lot of issues transferring real-life homes into the game. Also because we have dead space in walls for insulation and such, plus spaces for water heaters and so on that the game doesn't need and it's amazing how much that changes how the home will look. Which might be why older era styles are preferred to build for so many? Or the wild modern homes that don't need to make much sense, lol.

Omg, spiral staircases are terrible. Love looking at them, but I do not want to use them, lol.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m always surprised how many real life Victorian buildings in my area look so much like base game builds.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    The green one with the Christmas ornaments looks like it belongs in Willow Creek.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    Eleri wrote: »
    The green one with the Christmas ornaments looks like it belongs in Willow Creek.

It does, doesn't it? Lol.
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I’m always surprised how many real-life Victorian buildings in my area look so much like base game builds.

The more simple ones really have a Willow Creek vibe, the Queen Anne style does fit the richer area. It's just wild how chaotic and just extra these homes look, lol. But I thought it would be nice to show that Victorian is a huge umbrella and sometimes the roofing, most notably, is just wild.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Great thread topic. Victorian homes are so interesting and breathtaking in person.

I'm looking at these house plans from 1877 and I can't figure out what's that section on the second floor - top right. A mansard roof I assumed but building this house in the sims looked odd. Mostly because sims don't need closets so I was trying to rearrange rooms while keeping the house shape. Think I'll have to give up on this one. :sweat_smile:
    93b780fdd6a7d2254791189da637bcd4.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @SimplyJen I agree that it looks like a mansard roof over the kitchen. Now I want to build it!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I was gobsmacked when I read that the Jessica Fletcher house was a Victorian. I always thought part of the prerequisite for that term, was the wrap-around porch. Thanks for the 'lessen'. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/