Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Filling in the gaps in the roofing here?

CatersCaters Posts: 102 Member
So, the castle I'm building, I have based on a reference of a German castle(very fitting cause Johann Sebastian, a future resident of this place, is based off of Bach, a German composer). But, I have a bit of a problem here. You see, there's supposed to be an octagonal roof here, okay, I have that. But there's supposed to be more diagonal roofing filling in the gaps here, at least if I go by my reference pictures. But I can't figure out how to fill in these triangular gaps without cutting into the octagonal roof or even if that's possible. Can somebody help me here?

vcSgUEa.png

Top View
hXMesGf.png

Comments

• Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I don't have the link right now but I think you might find your answer on YouTube on sahmandbean's channel. She has a lot of very helpful short roofing tutorials for different cases like this.
  • Options
    I don't have the link right now but I think you might find your answer on YouTube on sahmandbean's channel. She has a lot of very helpful short roofing tutorials for different cases like this.

Alright, thanks, I'll check out her channel.
  • Options
    Also, would it be possible to see your reference picture to get a better idea of what you're trying to achieve?
  • Options
    imogerimoger Posts: 5,790 Member
    edited April 2023
    you can try to make the roof one grid larger, so it will overlap the triangulars, can grab the small arrow on the roof's corners, and pull it back
    or if you think its still too big for that room, could make the wall higher or add a new level
  • Options
    Also, would it be possible to see your reference picture to get a better idea of what you're trying to achieve?

Here’s my reference picture:
    Schloss_Drachenburg_Luftbild_01.jpg

I obviously couldn’t replicate the shape exactly, but I got as close as I could to it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Oh, that's an interesting picture! And a very complex roofing to replicate. So, I'm not entirely sure, but to replicate that dome, since it's on an upper floor, I'd recommend making a slightly smaller octagon room instead of square (only the dome is higher than the rest, you can see the walls peaking out, and it's a little less wide than the room underneath) and to extend the gabled roof right through that room. It shouldn't clip if the room is closed. A small gabled roof and some chimneys might replicate the part with the rounded window. I did some basic tests, with very little decoration. Here's a look at what I mean, though you'd probably want to pitch the main gabled roof one notch higher than I did, and extend the smaller gable so it doesn't get cut by the main gable. It will poke out a little more than the original since we can't build on the half tile, however :

fiwzMS7.png