Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is building one of your favorite things to do in The Sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    No
    Thanks @Pary <3
    Your house looks beautiful! I could never build like that because I always fall into the trap of trying to make things symmetrical which leads to extremely boring houses :confounded: Strange really, given my love of asymmetrical sliders for sims :D
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    No
    I voted "No", but that doesn't mean I don't do it from time to time. It just isn't my favorite thing to do. It isn't even that rare that I remodel existing houses, for example because the family got too large or I need space for some skill items, or it turns out that, while the house looks pretty, it has usability issues. I usually keep the general look of the houses I remodel intact.

Just as a measure of how much I dislike building: In my current game, several adult kids are still waiting to move out because I postponed a necessary remodel of the house they are supposed to move to. I prefer smaller lots for this, because I don't feel the need to put everything on them. I usually don't care to do anything with the garden, other than place some stuff for the kids and reserve a space for planting the stuff that grows.

Decorating the inside meets a similar fate: I usually don't bother with anything that isn't strictly necessary. But then again, I'm not really keen on choosing clothes for the sims, either, so there's a general theme here :wink: .
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    No
    I really like your version! great job

Thanks so much! I really have to give a lot of credit for the inspiration to lewisb40 though. Lewisb40's building designs aren't boxy and boring (that's how they would have turned out if I had to build them myself). I also really appreciate how thoughtful and complete all the interior designs were as well. The interior designs really do look like some places I've seen on campus!

• Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 819 Member
    edited May 2021
    In my case, it depends. The best house I have ever built was a two story house; the "North Wing" consisted of a living room and kitchen/dining room with the floor above being the study and bathroom with a balcony. The "South Wing" consists of a studio and bathroom while the first floor was where a bathroom and the bedrooms were; both wings was connected by a corridor, which surrounded a swimming pool; the gym was in the basement. However half the time my builds tend to be boxes
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    No
    In general on both TS3 and 4 I play mostly for live mode and playing the lives of my Sims. That being said I do enjoy decorating and occasionally building. I get frustrated with buy and build mode on TS3 because of the lack of search! It can be so hard to find what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Thanks to this thread, i was motivated to try to build for a little bit, so i did just that. It have been somewhat fun, dare i say XD I can only do it in small doses before i start wanting to do something else though, and it can also get a little too frustrating sometimes.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No
    Building stinks and I Stink at it. Doesn't matter what generation of Sims it is.
  • Options
    ElisetomElisetom Posts: 70 Member
    Yes
    @VexingQuery , your adventurer's house is amazing! May I ask where did you got these nectar racks? I'm in love with them!
  • Options
    DottyKCDottyKC Posts: 19 Member
    YES! I love building lots! I really only play to play-test, and something usually happens to make me laugh while I'm playtesting, but building is what keeps me coming back. I've been trying for awhile to create a whole world, and I love the early part of laying out roads and lots, and I LOVE creating a series of lots that fit a theme and are designed to fit an area, but sculpting and painting just gets so TEDIOUS! If anyone loves world building but doesn't want to make lots, please let me know, and we can team up!
  • Options
    VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    Yes
    Elisetom wrote: »
    @VexingQuery , your adventurer's house is amazing! May I ask where did you got these nectar racks? I'm in love with them!

Thank you! The nectar racks are one of the two basic models that came with World Adventures. I just recolored/textured them in CAStyle.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    No
    I don't like building in any of the Sims games.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    No
    "No: You don't necessarily have to hate building, you could build on occasion but it's not one of your favorite things to do"

This alternative fits me best. Building, and doing it well, are big time consuming projects. This and then decorating. But it's so worth it when it's done and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. :) Sometimes I download lots and make modifications.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    No
    I am terrible at building so I chose No. I have attempted building a house before, but I lost interest in building it and just went back to playing all my various save files instead.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes. I enjoy the game but I can't play in a house for long without wanting to make a new one. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    No
    It's not one of my favorite things.

However, it's one of my most frequent activities, because I can't stop tinkering. I'll download a nice looking house, and then decide that routing would be better if a hallway were one square wider. So I widen it. Then I have to move walls and doors and rebuild other rooms, because now they're not the right shape. Some hours later, I'll get back to the gameplay that I was only going to pause long enough to fix the hallway routing.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    No
    Cororon wrote: »
    "No: You don't necessarily have to hate building, you could build on occasion but it's not one of your favorite things to do"

This alternative fits me best. Building, and doing it well, are big time consuming projects. This and then decorating. But it's so worth it when it's done and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. :) Sometimes I download lots and make modifications.
    This is how I feel now. I’ve successfully completed a build that I’ve been working on for about a week and I’m happy with it. I’ve finally learned the basics of building.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    No
    I don´t hate building, but I´m just not very good at it and lose patience really quickly. I do build houses for my families, because most of the premade or downloaded ones are not quite right for me, they do end up mostly boxy though.
    Started experimenting with floorplans recently, which makes things easier, still not a fan of more than one floor, and too impatient to search everywhere for clutter just to make things look nicer.

I did build this one a while ago, which I´m kinda proud of, took me several hours and is still not really finished.
    (That was the build during which I discovered that roofs can have different heights. Still very excited over that :D ).
    Build it for my simself, so kind of a dream house? And not a box!

Screenshot-3663.jpg
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Yes
    @Waterdragon - That is a very lovely house you have built, it has lots of character. I hope your Simself is enjoying it :) .

To everyone - What's so wrong with square shaped houses? IMO, with the right landscaping and internal design 'boxy' type of homes can look very nice and be very cozy. That is if they are not too massive in size.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    No
    @mw1525 - thank you, I had a test run with my simself and she seemed to like it very much. :)

The massiveness of the house is exactly the problem. I don´t mind box-shaped houses at all - I live in one and like it very much. But with my dislike for more than one storey buildings and the "natural expansion" that comes with my sims having hobbies, and my big concession for easy routing, I end up with houses that look like a warehouse. :D
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    No
    I would have to take time away from my sims if I were building, and I have a fear of roofs. GEEZ @CravenLestat WOW, there's a good reason why I don't, others have the vision, creativity and the will.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Yes
    I like to build, I'm just not good at it. I do love spending the time to build houses and every so often I come up with something great. The creative part of creating spaces for my SIMS is part of why I love this game and have been playing it for a VERY long time. SIMS 3 is the only SIMS game that I've felt that I have the creative freedom to do what I want.

(psst.....hi friends :smile: )
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    No
    @mw1525 Specifically, I want to learn how to layout a floor plan that is intricate than just a square or a rectangle. Of course when I look at floor plans, there are some that are comprised of many squares and rectangles to create different shapes and spaces, etc. There are also other shapes that can be achieved with TS3 such as (irregular) polygons, though there isn't any angle slider to be able to get various different angles for walls/half-walls/foundations and so on. I don't know the angles in TS3 but I guess it's either 90 or (-)45 or 0 degrees.

Not that it matters anymore but it would have been nice to pay just as much focus and detail on building as if partly a software for 2D to 3D floor plans and so on. While blueprints are a feature in TS3, you cannot create your own to save as a template and one cannot download someone else's.

Anyway to sum up, no there isn't anything wrong with square or rectangular residential/community lots. Personally, I just want to step out of my own comfort zone and learn to do something else.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 689 Member
    Yes
    Have any of you who don't like building tried to use the blueprints? I have found this to be a shortcut to building a home for my sim. I use one or two blueprints, redecorate or add my own building touches, and I have a pretty good house in far less time.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    No
    I like building to create layouts, especially public (community) buildings. I'm not always to fond of picking wallpapers and colours for the sofa etc., unless I have a very specific idea for a theme in mind. So yes it is one of my favorite things to do. I also like building worlds, I'm just not very experienced at it.

I’d love to dowmload your creation as I get quickly tired from building. :blush: D
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    No
    I don’t hate building but I prefer to play in live mode than building for sure. I prefer to download community lots from other simmers but I usually build the houses for my sim families.