Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you realize hobbies for likes/dislikes are the SAME as club activities AND holiday traditions?

Why do we have the same things being listed under 3 different systems?

Activities are now doing triple duty! They’re listed as club activities, holiday traditions, and now hobbies to set as likes/dislikes.

I think it’s kinda ridiculous that this is being considered “new” and “cool” when it’s more of the same stuff we’ve seen before in the game, just under a different classification. Same old activities. Nothing fresh or inventive.

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2021
    Because people are asking for it? Idk seems pretty weird to me just to have let's say knitting in the game but we can't like it or have a knitting club because it's old activities. We can only like or make clubs of the new pottery activity added. Lol😅😅
    Same with holidays. It's all about options and choices. Plus it's a great way to use old activities in new ways.

It’s weird to me to make a big fuss about something we already have. For example if you want your Sim to wanna play chess, you could create a club for chess or add chess as a holiday activity. Now with the new likes/dislikes, chess isn’t even one of the ones they added in the first wave which is bizarre because it’s a base game activity and logic is a base game skill.

I’m already reading about people who have added a hobby/activity as a like/dislike and the Sim is not doing that activity more or less than they were before. They are autonomously doing activities they are supposed to dislike and therefore never do autonomously again. So the new system is ALREADY bugged out.

Idk I’m just waiting for NEW stuff, not the same old stuff with a new coat of paint. That’s how it feels to me.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    edited May 2021
    I get you. Likes/dislikes are kinda clubs 2.0.

It's not a massively exciting addition from what I've seen. A sim will just gain fun from something they like. They may do more of it if it's an action that previously was autonomous but I've not seen it change autonomy. But yes, I've always used the clubs system to manipulate autonomy which is kinda what likes/dislikes is attempting to do.

Oh and I had a sim that dislikes fishing, with no fishing skill, rave to his wife about fishing spots!
    Post edited by calaprfy on
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    Fair enough. Honestly I hope to see new stuff soon too! But so many people were asking and hoping for likes/dislikes I'm honestly happy they added it. I see a lot of happy simmers in general and it's nice to see🙂

I don't know how they chose to prioritize which wave of activities or skills get added first though that is a bit weird lol😅 the gurus are asking for reports on any bugs so they can fix the issue. Bugs are a given.

But I definitely hope for new stuff and new surprises this year. Definitely new ANIMATIONS 😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,459 Member
    I can see likes and dislikes being helpful when you don't have similar traits. So you can have a sim that likes to dance without having the dance machine trait. With clubs, they only do activities during club meetings, but with likes and dislikes they can do them any time. Also, if they like the activity it could be that they will more eager to do it during club meetings too.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    I haven't updated the game yet, just about to, but I seldom use clubs for their intended purpose ie role playing my sim liking a certain activity and hence joining the club, to me it's more of a tool to allocate certain activities to a group of sims on specific locations for various purposes and I only want to use likes/dislike if it affects the autonomous choices of a sim and if it affects the fun factor (which i've seen from other people that it does). Clubs can't affect autonomous behavior of a single sim (you can't start a club activity with only one member), only of a group, the like/dislike system seems to be able to affect a single sim.

For likes I'm more interested in dislike function actually, I hope that it will stop sims from doing certain things. In Clubs sims still can perform the banned activities they just get infamy for it and disapproval from other sims, at least that's how it was last time I fiddled with it. The way these two systems work are not the same, but now they can compliment one another.

Holiday traditions is completely different mechanic, so I'm not sure where the comparison is made? If you don't mind to explain?
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,762 Member
    What people want is stuff that influences autonomous behavior, which is what makes this different. Holidays reward you for doing activities but the only holiday traditions I've seen them pursue autonomously are the socials. Clubs only affect behavior during club meetings.
    I want my sims who are bookworms to always have reading as their go to autonomous activity over dancing or video games, not only when they are with a club that has that as a task. I want my other sims to rarely choose reading first, not just when they're at club meetings where it's a banned activity.
    But if the likes and dislikes don't actually change their behavior that much, then they won't make much difference at all.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Calling the likes/dislikes system just "clubs 2.0" I feel is insulting to clubs ahah.

At least with clubs, sims will autonomously gravitate towards the activities you've selected (and avoid ones you've told them to avoid). I've been playing with the new update for a couple days now, and I still have yet to see likes/dislikes effect autonomy. My sims who hate to dance are still dancing without me telling them to (and getting upset about it), and I have yet to see any of my sims gravitate towards any of their selected "like" activities... They just get happy from doing whatever they "like" (and lose fun when doing something they hate) which is... I guess it's Something but it's not much...

I wish likes/dislikes worked more the like clubs system, where sims would do or avoid the activities you selected for the club. That's what I was hoping to see with this new system. But really it just effects the fun meter and adds more emotional buffs (which they need to fix the emotions/buffs before they keep adding new ones. the amount of buffs my sims get at this point are way waaaay too much. plus they need balancing.).

Like I've said in other threads, I'm really trying to cut the team some slack here since it's a new update that they say they are still working on. But I need more from this system. I'm kind of surprised they DIDN'T just repackage the club system as likes/dislikes aha. There's way more activities to choose from in clubs as well. Likes/dislikes seems to be more skill-based, not activity-based...
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this but so many hobbies are missing to like/dislike. I was very disappointed looking at all the choices to pick from. Also once again all they add is a moodlet nothing else
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Clubs are essentially turned off by not having members over, like life styles these are meant to give more life to sims in the day to day...of course they are the same I mean obviously. If we were given new hobbies and such for the sims with the new system then people would have wanted sims to care more about everything we already have. No not the same at all.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    I haven't updated the game yet, just about to, but I seldom use clubs for their intended purpose ie role playing my sim liking a certain activity and hence joining the club, to me it's more of a tool to allocate certain activities to a group of sims on specific locations for various purposes and I only want to use likes/dislike if it affects the autonomous choices of a sim and if it affects the fun factor (which i've seen from other people that it does). Clubs can't affect autonomous behavior of a single sim (you can't start a club activity with only one member), only of a group, the like/dislike system seems to be able to affect a single sim.

For likes I'm more interested in dislike function actually, I hope that it will stop sims from doing certain things. In Clubs sims still can perform the banned activities they just get infamy for it and disapproval from other sims, at least that's how it was last time I fiddled with it. The way these two systems work are not the same, but now they can compliment one another.

Holiday traditions is completely different mechanic, so I'm not sure where the comparison is made? If you don't mind to explain?

Unfortunately yes. I remember when the clubs system was tight and they never did banned activities, but now I see my Chiefs of Mischief club being mischievous to each other.

And did you know that club leaders can be autonomously overthrown?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,414 Member
    edited May 2021
    The systems feel very different to me. Most of all because I don't have club gatherings on home lot. Second because club actions are based on a group of sims doing the same thing vs likes are invidual. I must say I really like the addition of likes/dislikes. I wish they affected autonomous behaviour more (like promised), but even having those moodlets adds a lot to the character.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

Unfortunately yes. I remember when the clubs system was tight and they never did banned activities, but now I see my Chiefs of Mischief club being mischievous to each other.

Just went to check in case anything was changed with clubs, since it was mentioned above that clubs prevent banned activities, but no, I even got the "such and such is having fun on the dance floor, do you want it to be added to the liked activities" prompt all the while the sim in question is in active club that bans dancing.

I haven't had leader autonomously overthrown so far, didn't know it was a thing.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It’s weird to me to make a big fuss about something we already have. For example if you want your Sim to wanna play chess, you could create a club for chess or add chess as a holiday activity. Now with the new likes/dislikes, chess isn’t even one of the ones they added in the first wave which is bizarre because it’s a base game activity and logic is a base game skill.

It was odd that chess was left out. 🙄 I would’ve thought all base game items would make the initial run.
    I get you. Likes/dislikes are kinda clubs 2.0.
    It's not a massively exciting addition from what I've seen.
    Oh and I had a sim that dislikes fishing, with no fishing skill, rave to his wife about fishing spots!

Yeah I see what you mean. At least it’s fun to assign the likes and dislikes. Raving about fishing when it’s disliked with no skill either must a glitch? Hopefully! 🤞

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited May 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Why do we have the same things being listed under 3 different systems?

Activities are now doing triple duty! They’re listed as club activities, holiday traditions, and now hobbies to set as likes/dislikes.

I think it’s kinda ridiculous that this is being considered “new” and “cool” when it’s more of the same stuff we’ve seen before in the game, just under a different classification. Same old activities. Nothing fresh or inventive.

Actually there are many hobbies missing from the likes and dislikes that I would like to see, knitting, archeology, playing games...... other than video games, like ping pong, horseshoes, bike riding etc. and, I’m glad they are using some of the same activities for likes and dislikes. I hope they will go back and add other activities from the club system, which has turned out really well. Using fitness as a category is a lot of things lumped together.... those who like cycling may not enjoy jogging, or body building,

I like the integration actually, and they need to add a lot more things to the holiday system, parties, dancing etc.

It would also be great if we got more clarity of which things were covered under fitness.

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    Im starting to think that there's nothing that can be done to improve autonomy. I thought the new likes/dislikes system would influence autonomy, change it... but nope. Just moodlets. The only good thing is being able to define who'll have fun doing what, and even that is super incomplete cause lots of activities are missing...
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,025 Member
    edited May 2021
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Im starting to think that there's nothing that can be done to improve autonomy. I thought the new likes/dislikes system would influence autonomy, change it... but nope. Just moodlets. The only good thing is being able to define who'll have fun doing what, and even that is super incomplete cause lots of activities are missing...
    I don’t get why autonomy isn’t influenced by likes/dislikes. I wouldn’t head towards a treadmill if I saw one when out and about. I’d rather get a coffee, which I like!

Hopefully they can fix glitches next update. 🥺

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    You have a good point. I'm still happy we've got them, though.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    On a tangent to this...

I was wondering today what's different between the likes / dislikes and the traits?

Lets say I have one sim with the 'Dancing Fool' trait and another sim with the 'Likes Dancing' like. "Game engine wise" what is different here? Is one of these just a lesser 'motivation buff' to do the dancing activity, or is there more to it?

That example being pulled only because those two on the surface seem so alike. But the larger question being how is a trait different from a like/dislike?

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    On a tangent to this...

I was wondering today what's different between the likes / dislikes and the traits?

Lets say I have one sim with the 'Dancing Fool' trait and another sim with the 'Likes Dancing' like. "Game engine wise" what is different here? Is one of these just a lesser 'motivation buff' to do the dancing activity, or is there more to it?

That example being pulled only because those two on the surface seem so alike. But the larger question being how is a trait different from a like/dislike?

It depends... i would say if we had a reading like it would make reading fun if your sim likes it and it would make him avoid reading if he doesn't likes it (if autonomy was actually working well).
    On the other hand a trait seems to have more to it. The bookworm trait will also give the sim the ability to analyse books, for example...
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,800 Member
    edited May 2021
    I haven't played enough since the patch dropped to realize exactly how they work. I just set up two families (I'd say new, but I've played them in the past — my ancestral save). I found it fun setting their likes/dislikes mostly for the reactions they gave. When a Sim doesn't like something, they really don't like it. LOL Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm very happy with the added hair colors. Now, we have a real light brown hair. Yay. My Sixth great-grandfather doesn't have to walk around with dark brown hair with a reddish tinge to it. (AKA Chestnut-brown.) He was said to have had light brown hair. I've since discovered that light brown is under the blond hair classification. :open_mouth: Who knew?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

I learned over the past couple days that a sim will still get the bored moodlet from not having any recent club meetings, even though the sim in question had disbanded the club because the whole thing was a failed experiment in testing the limits of autonomous romance interactions that ran aground on the rocks of "sims with romantic feelings really don't like their love interest woohooing someone else no matter what the club rules say." (why even have woohoo as an allowable club activity if sims can't figure out it's all in good fun? Maybe next time I'll try it in a neighborhood with the Free Love NAP from Eco-Living.)
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I never expected likes and dislikes to have any impact on the game at all or on the sims' behaviours, autonomously or otherwise. I wanted likes and dislikes so I could play-pretend that my sims are more unique and have interests, like I've been doing since the launch because nothing you can possibly do will make your sim unique from other sims. They're all the same.

Don't get me wrong, I want likes and dislikes to have an impact on sims' personalities - but I never expected them to, because this is The Sims 4. They can't disappoint me anymore
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Bluelle wrote: »
    I never expected likes and dislikes to have any impact on the game at all or on the sims' behaviours, autonomously or otherwise. I wanted likes and dislikes so I could play-pretend that my sims are more unique and have interests, like I've been doing since the launch because nothing you can possibly do will make your sim unique from other sims. They're all the same.

Don't get me wrong, I want likes and dislikes to have an impact on sims' personalities - but I never expected them to, because this is The Sims 4. They can't disappoint me anymore

This is where I'm at with the game. While I think they could have put more effort into the likes and dislikes, I knew they weren't going to do anything besides give moodlets or change emotions. I knew this because TS4 is read about your sim instead of seeing it.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,741 Member
    edited May 2021
    For me it's a rather small update, it's an improvement, but just a small improvement. That doesn't mean I don't want it, but after so many years everything in this game feels the same. I can already guess how some long-requested features will turn out because this game doesn't change much with every update.

It's nice that I can tell what my sim likes and dislikes in CAS, but that's how I have played them anyway because that's what Maxis wants you to do. It feels a bit like Likes and Dislikes just confirms that your sim actually liked doing what you liked doing yourself with your sim.

It looks like we can use this to configure autonomy for each sim though which I like, it adds more customization instead of something like NAP's which just made everyone do the same thing which I really didn't like.