Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims be aimed at an older audience?

Comments

• Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Also at the end of the day it’s still a life simulator whether it has ‘drama’ or not....

Nope. It fails both as a simulator (due to its god awful AI) and as a LIFE simulator specifically. Call it a storytelling/building tool or whatever, but it is not a life simulator.
  • Options
    username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I really dislike the fact that they add more diversity than gameplay. I get it people want representation, because basically that is what their marketing constantly brags about. Representation and when it is not enough people asked for more. Remember those times where rather than Create yourself or Represent, or Create without boundaries, the tagline for the franchise is simply "Play With Life"? Miss those times

Imagine being upset that people want diversity in a life simulator game....can’t ‘Play with Life’ if the life you want to play as isn’t represented properly....

Also you people seem to forgot (always) that those on console don’t have the option to play with mods so they’re stuck with a watered down experience. The core game needs to be better without mods so everyone can enjoy it...

Imagine thinking Sims 4 is a life simulator when Rachel Franklin said (in 2015) it’s not, it’s a game about drama. She was the executive producer on the game until 2016 so I would take her word on that.

Just try to be less narrow minded. Representation is important for marginalized people with a history of being treated and considered second class citizens.

For example, there was a game that i really thought looked very fun , it was perfect in almost every way except one. Every last character was either white or fair. I dont support that . Because playing as white characters because there either arent any of color , or i dont have the tools to create ones that properly look like me, cause me to feel like stories arent important unless they are being told from the lens of someone who looks white. Video games are essentially , stories. Youre "living" or experiencing life , through your character.

Everyone likes to play as themselves for the most part. Even when they are playing characters that dont look exactly like them, other than skintone. You just dont notice that, probably because you havent been on the side that has the lack of representation @AquaGamer1212 thanks for comprehending that.
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Also at the end of the day it’s still a life simulator whether it has ‘drama’ or not....

Nope. It fails both as a simulator (due to its god awful AI) and as a LIFE simulator specifically. Call it a storytelling/building tool or whatever, but it is not a life simulator.

Doesn’t matter what YOU feel it’s failed as, by definition it’s a life simulator whether it’s a good or bad one....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'm disturbed by the fact that people hear the word adult and think it equals sex gore and violence 😖
    I love adult books and movies but I won't even touch one that has those themes. I like the depth and maturity of them

I want more depth,challenge,more reactions, injuries,mature behavior and body language from sims not the joker grins and childish walks and behaviors they do. I think pose player poses and animations people use for machima, or however you spell it, is the perfect example.

If you look at the animations they create the sims move,talk, act in a normal and serious manner. And that's what most people like or they wouldn't be making tons of these animations.

I understand the sims were always a bit silly and goofy but I personally think sims 4 went way to childish in that respect. It's hard for me to create a serious vibe in the game without poses and mods.

I don't think anything at this point in time will change with the sims 4, that's the direction they decided to go in. It is what it is.

Oh and I forgot to say this game seriously needs a sence of danger and a fear emotion. Those are the kind of things I consider adult and mature.

Now to be honest. I love gore and violence in movies and shows.90% of my "tv time" is true crime. I LOVE the whodunnit! >:) I also listen to exclusively horror podcasts or true crime podcasts. Im a horror fan. I prefer the grittier side of life. That does not make me worse or better than someone who wont "touch" those things.

I don't think we should dismiss the things people want in video games, even if they ARE more adult sexual themes or even more believable violence and consequences. Allow the sims to grow up a , little, or a lot :)

I know that may be frowned upon, but not everyone has to abhor negative themes.

Also my favorite holiday is Halloween >:) Not everyone is into disney/comedies/romance movies/games devoid of dark themes....

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,147 Member
    Considering that most simmers are adults it would be nice to have a lot mature rating.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Considering that most simmers are adults it would be nice to have a lot mature rating.

The forum members are more reserved than most simmers i run into. Because, let me tell you, the sims groups ive been in they LOVE adult rated material and violence in their games >:) , to the point that they MOD it in :) The sims can move on from being a game for children!, we already have 4 versions of the child friendly version . It would be nice if sims 5 could be rated M for people who like seedier stuff.

• Options
    bookwriter81bookwriter81 Posts: 17 Member
    [quote="shacoria;c-17627047"]I agree that I would like a more "cheeky" game, as that is what the previous games were. Not explicit, but fun and playful. [/quote]

I totally agree; I played the first sim game when I was about eleven with my dad. I didn't get all the cheeky stuff and to be honest I really didn't care. It was fun.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really dislike the fact that they add more diversity than gameplay. I get it people want representation, because basically that is what their marketing constantly brags about. Representation and when it is not enough people asked for more. Remember those times where rather than Create yourself or Represent, or Create without boundaries, the tagline for the franchise is simply "Play With Life"? Miss those times

Imagine being upset that people want diversity in a life simulator game....can’t ‘Play with Life’ if the life you want to play as isn’t represented properly....

Also you people seem to forgot (always) that those on console don’t have the option to play with mods so they’re stuck with a watered down experience. The core game needs to be better without mods so everyone can enjoy it...

Imagine thinking Sims 4 is a life simulator when Rachel Franklin said (in 2015) it’s not, it’s a game about drama. She was the executive producer on the game until 2016 so I would take her word on that.

Just try to be less narrow minded. Representation is important for marginalized people with a history of being treated and considered second class citizens.

For example, there was a game that i really thought looked very fun , it was perfect in almost every way except one. Every last character was either white or fair. I dont support that . Because playing as white characters because there either arent any of color , or i dont have the tools to create ones that properly look like me, cause me to feel like stories arent important unless they are being told from the lens of someone who looks white. Video games are essentially , stories. Youre "living" or experiencing life , through your character.

Everyone likes to play as themselves for the most part. Even when they are playing characters that dont look exactly like them, other than skintone. You just dont notice that, probably because you havent been on the side that has the lack of representation @AquaGamer1212 thanks for comprehending that.
    He was referring to this interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

Anyway this was a fun interview and Will Wright said,
    https://www.cnet.com/news/q-a-will-wright-talks-spore-sims-science/
    "I think it's the whole question about whether games are appropriate for all ages. We tend to think about games as kid activities, but in fact there are a lot of mature games that are really for adults. And, if we see it as a viable form of artistic expression, that's okay. It's just a matter of treating that as a society, and mostly parental responsibility because you wouldn't show your young kids the movie Godfather either.

I also think games have a social responsibility of sparking discussion. If you look at really good books or movies, one of the most interesting things about them is when people come out of the theater or talk about the book. It sparks interesting discussions about things like philosophy, religion, life. I think games should be able to do that as well. I don't think controversies around a game are necessarily bad if it's going to get people to have interesting discussions that they wouldn't have had otherwise."

Sadly with the Sims 4 the initial direction strayed from what the Sims is really about,
    "I think a lot of it was the fact that we gave the player the role of storyteller. Rather than us trying to impose the story on top of the play experience, we left it very open-ended. And when players are playing the game, they would naturally craft a story and interpret it as such, and share these stories with each other. I think that's the thing that they really enjoyed about The Sims--the fact that they can steer the story in whatever direction they can imagine."

Simmers have had stories imposed upon them and I think it really doesn't give Simmers enough credit on how creative they can be. The modding community proves how creative the Sims community is and how they have broken some of those limits the game has set.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    I just want it to be like previous entries in the franchise. Alas, it’s not ever going to be.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Seeing how we are getting a Star Wars pack you can’t say this game is not aimed towards a children now.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    Justin wrote: »
    Seeing how we are getting a Star Wars pack you can’t say this game is not aimed towards a children now.
    Star Wars is one of the oldest franchises compared to many other companies they have partnered with, so I doubt it. 1977 is far from being a child franchise.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Trilogy

Not as old as IKEA since that was founded in 1943. But still older than Moschino which was founded in 1983.

Star Wars Fallen Order outsold Sims 4 faster too.
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/05/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-tops-10-million-copies-sold/

Their fan base is one of the highest in the world too which makes Sims fanbase tiny in comparison:
    https://blog.globalwebindex.com/chart-of-the-week/star-wars-influential-fanbase/
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited August 2020
    Naus wrote: »

I absolutely agree! If it where a life sim game they should focus on the sims themselves, they are the main characters in a life sim! But no. Babies are still objects. Traits doesn't make sims different. With this latest Star Wars team pack and Strangeville before that I would say it's not a life sim anymore. I would also call it a dressup/storytelling/building game. The Sims, TS2 and TS3 was true sandbox, life simulation games. It's an insult that they named this game TS4. It's a spinoff that has very little in common with the earlier games in the sims series. I've been hoping for TS5 for 6 years. Sadly, now I just can't see them doing a TS5 that I would appreciate.
    Post edited by simIrrevirre on
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Don’t start with that narrow minded nonsense. My comment didn’t say a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing about representation so how about you reread it? I pointed out the original Exec Producer denied that this game was a life sim. Do you think that had no implications on what kind of content they then planned to make?

Im all for representation thank u very much. Also so kind of you to assume I am fully represented in game. U think my avatar is me? Lol. Listen Maxis has done a bad job with representation because they never, ever planned for this game to be a make yourself game. It wasn’t that way until a few years ago and even now they are doing a bad job because that’s a corporate order not something they really actively want to do. If you’re mad about not being represented point it at the studio, not me. I don’t make this game.
  • Options
    simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    All I need is more. Interactions! Different gameplay. Like they dedicated an EP for just interaction and gameplay, I would def buy it!
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Doesn’t matter what YOU feel it’s failed as, by definition it’s a life simulator whether it’s a good or bad one....

Genres are SUBJECTIVE CATEGORIES by definition. Your claiming it's a life simulator is AS VALID as me claiming it isn't.
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    The forum members are more reserved than most simmers i run into.

I think that's solely due to the fact that we have to abide by the incredibly childish rules set out for the forums. When basic words get censored you dare not breathe wrong in case you get banned :#

• Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I've said it before in a different thread so I'm going to post and slightly edit my reply.
    I feel the sims has become waaaaay to childish, I'm not saying there needs to be content like the Extreme Violence mod or WW, just something that doesn't make the game feel so safe or watered down. Honestly, I miss the depth and challenge of the older titles, they treated the players like adults, knowing that they could tell the difference between fiction and reality, daring to challenge players to solve little mysteries within the game. I remember back in TS2 days (I was between 10 -13 when I started playing) and it felt a lot more adult and it made me feel like one of the cool kids for playing a "grown-up" game. Moving onto the sims 3, while it was somewhat toned back it could still get pretty wild in the quirky way that the sims is known for, but it still had "mature" contend for those who were slightly older, e.g: you could hire dancers for Stag/Hen parties, sims could get mega "juiced" and dance on tabletops, heck they could even get "whacked" on herbs to a certain degree. Not to mention the Sims Medieval, your sims could get into battles to the death, get supper hammered, have traits like gambler, lusty, drunkard etc, heck even in some of the speech bubbles there were actual swearwords used.
    In comparison, The sims 4, just feels too safe.
    Again, I'm not asking for anything explicit or raunchy, I'm just asking for depth and mystery again, something that makes me feel like I'm actually playing a game rather than watching a game play itself (which TS4 feels like half of the ruddy time.)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited August 2020
    Well, I am about as old a Simmer as you can get in this game and I still love it. However, not all packs appeal to me. Example, I will not be buying the Vampire Expansion even though the build content has good creepy stuff, just don't care for the gameplay that comes with it. Just not something I am into.

I wish more people thought like that, seriously, you can buy the vampire pack w/o fear of the vampires "invading" your personal space now because outside of the scripted first two visits, they never come around your house. All because people who wanted the "spooky" themed items complained about the main feature of the pack, so the devs listened and now the vampires are nerfed to heck and back to appease the small minority, while occult players/lovers (such as myself) are left with a life state that had the fun s-u-c-k-e-d out of them (pun intended).
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    Star Wars is one of the oldest franchises compared to many other companies they have partnered with, so I doubt it. 1977 is far from being a child franchise.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Trilogy

Not as old as IKEA since that was founded in 1943. But still older than Moschino which was founded in 1983.

Star Wars Fallen Order outsold Sims 4 faster too.
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/05/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-tops-10-million-copies-sold/

Their fan base is one of the highest in the world too which makes Sims fanbase tiny in comparison:
    https://blog.globalwebindex.com/chart-of-the-week/star-wars-influential-fanbase/

Maybe I should of elaborated better. Star Wars isn’t childish but the way Disney has done things hasn’t been the same as it used to be. Which is why they receive a lot of backlash from the community & don’t agree with how Disney is running Star Wars (I’m one of those people too). The sims 4 is already childish for the most part, this pack won’t be any different. Wouldn’t it be cool if we can use that lightsaber to cut off a sims arm? They will throw some dark humor like it’s previous titles? I doubt it. I just hope there’s a lot more adult theme centered around this pack .
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think that, while Star Wars obviously has a broad fan base that covers every age group, the franchise’s cross-promotion efforts and merchandising have always been targeted at kids. I have a feeling that EA is banking on a response from this very demographic with the announcement of this latest pack.

I can’t be certain of their intent, but if this is the case, and they are trying to appeal to a younger audience, I think that’s the wrong move. They should be trying to appeal to the more “mature” end of the demographic spectrum.
  • Options
    SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    correct me if im wrong but other sims games werent directed necessarily for children but apprently sims 4 is? why? I always thought it was aimed at teens so I dont know why its so child friendly
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,147 Member
    It needs to be more like players over 13.
    Because right now it's for ages 5 to 10.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The focus is always on the new generation. For mind setting purposes. It will never change.
    Let me focus on some indie games from now on ;)
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I agree with many posters here. What this game is lacking is conflict. Conflict comes in many forms and can't simply be whittled down to "adult themes". I think this is where a few other posters are missing the point. Having something to overcome challanges players. This game needs failure states, it doesn't need to be anything excessive. A light hearted version of failures we experience in everyday life shouldn't be a controversial thing to add to a life sim. But lets face it, this isn't really a life sim because of things like this.

Yes!

I have played a happy sim living in a perfect green neighborhood. However I need to do other things as well.

It took me some time to create a lot with an industrial footprint. I have to keep two generators and a aqua purifier running at all time in order to get the bad footprint. That gives my sims a +1 tense.

I use all the bad lot-traits.

I modded the game so that the bills would be higher thus forcing my sims to keep on crafting after work to make more simoleons.

I modded the game so that my sims need a degree at a certain point, no more easy promotions with higher salary. Zero’s mod. I am one of her patrons.

I modded the fame so that there are no happy buffs from the environment. Roburky’s mod also makes emotions less “scattered”. If things are going bad you really have to work to change things. I am a patron of Roburky.

When I wanted my sims happy I put a house on a green lot with lots of pretty flowers.

When I wanted a fail-state I worked my butt of researching mods and worked so hard to get my lovely little sims miserable.
  • Options

Don’t start with that narrow minded nonsense. My comment didn’t say a 🌺🌺🌺🌺 thing about representation so how about you reread it? I pointed out the original Exec Producer denied that this game was a life sim. Do you think that had no implications on what kind of content they then planned to make?

Im all for representation thank u very much. Also so kind of you to assume I am fully represented in game. U think my avatar is me? Lol. Listen Maxis has done a bad job with representation because they never, ever planned for this game to be a make yourself game. It wasn’t that way until a few years ago and even now they are doing a bad job because that’s a corporate order not something they really actively want to do. If you’re mad about not being represented point it at the studio, not me. I don’t make this game.

You were disagreeing with or arguing against someone in earlier comments who said that Representation is important. Go back and read it :) You sound angry :D@drake_mccarty