Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you go overboard preparing for certain events?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Not really. 99% of my stuff is unscripted, playing by the seat of my pants. I did make an exception for my first generation heir's wedding.

xlI0Slm.png

Z1UUrOX.png

GvxdUR0.png

But the older spare simply eloped with his honeybun at the park, and the younger spare just got pregnant out of wedlock. ;)
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I wish these were things that we could really feel in gameplay. I like to plan and organize everything, but if it is just for pretend playing and nothing of it actually transfers to my game, I am telling myself 'then what?'.
    I would love to actually pick out and design invitations, send them out and get responses over a period of time of your choosing. Getting to choose bridesmaids, best man, setting a gift table to receive and find out later who gave what, guests that actually sit down, dance, drink and eat according to how you set up the planning of the day. Like, i wish i could just determine a time where the cake would be cut and guests would gather around and wait for it to happen.
    Events are too often disappointing in the sims, cause of random decisions from guests and the game.

All of the planning this game allows to me to do that also makes sense for the effort I put in, is decide/create or pick out an already existing wedding venue, set a theme, have the bride go out with her bridesmaids and pick out a dress & look for the day, invite guests, decide if I want a catering service or if I can have someone bake the cake or buy it in one of the bakery stores I have in town and that's that.
    There's probably a lot more I can do, but this game does not really motivate me to get more creative than that. Too much pretending and decoration instead of actual gameplay and consequences.
  • Options
    hyungryhyungry Posts: 29 Member
    When I host parties for my sims I usually make sure to decorate everything super nicely and have all the food nice and organized. Pretty much like setting up for an irl party lol
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    It annoys me how nobody actually watches the ceremony or participates in appropriate events; the guests are usually just crowding a bathroom or kitchen.

I ended up having the wedding in the kitchen, basically. The kitchen/dining area/living-room all built as one big room. Have the only accessible bathroom right next to it too.

I've only done 2 full weddings so far. (6 or more if you count the amount of times I've gone back to an earlier save in the wedding to try and solve things before they ran amok. Even more if you count where I deleted the wedding and started over from scratch just before planning it, heh!) So yeah, with like 100 sims now to manage, I just do the elope thing.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited March 2020
    Agreed @FurSimsOfficial! In my opinion I wish there was more activities and choices we could feel in gameplay. I love everything you listed as potential gameplay functions.

I personally like to play with my brain in “off mode.” I think the game sometimes expects too much pretending from players. Kind of like Madden; I want to direct “the play”, watch it happen, and absorb a few unexpected consequences. (Of course with some direction and oversight from me.)

@Admiral8Q agreed! I love trying to host events at fun lots lots like restaurants or special event halls. But with the amount of Sims behaving oddly, it’s exasperating. I too have a ton of elopements just to save the exasperation. By the time I have a round of drinks and try to take a few family pictures, guest Sims are sprinting to block up the bathroom or congregating in a very far never-to-be-found corner of the lot.

I’d love for EA to add more guided, well thought out gameplay elements for weddings so it’s a little less frustrating.
  • Options
    With the 'elope' or 'blow out the candles' thing, everyone around celebrates anyways. You just don't get the Bronze, Silver, or Gold rewards.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    My sims have generally just eloped in their living room. But I really like being able to get nice photos to hang in their homes so I've started having weddings at a venue just for that purpose.

I'd love to do more with these events but the game is too frustrating generally to bother with it much. I would LOVE a wedding pack where we could have the full on experience with bridesmaids and all that.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Well, I thought you all should know that the groom's dad died the next day from overindulging in the wedding cake (eating too many sweets). LOL. I had to quit without saving twice and spend a bunch of time getting him back to normal, but he's fine now.

@elanorbreton I'm glad I could give you some ideas!

@Sindocat I love love love your invitation!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    A spontaneous wedding... ;)

RUbn6oO.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    @Admiral8Q LOL—That’s the way to do it!
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Love the pics. From a formal event to a casual one. I guess it comes down to the personalities and lifestyles of each couple as to the kind of wedding best fits their story. And that's totally realistic.
  • Options
    mapletreesimsmapletreesims Posts: 13 New Member
    I don’t go as in depth as some of you, but I do enjoy planning weddings somewhat. I pick out outfits for the sims getting married, I download a wedding venue from the gallery, I always have a wedding ceremony, and I sometimes send them to have a little honeymoon. Right now I’m playing a save with aging off so I think I will put more time into my next wedding and you have given me some great ideas! I would like to have an engagement party and pick out bridesmaids/groomsmen next time and maybe even actual wedding preparation activities.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

@Sindocat I love love love your invitation!

Thank you. I kept it fairly simple, following the format provided by Judith Martin in Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior, which is my go-to for all sorts of things. :)
  • Options
    I've been lazy with official marriages since I started playing. So I've been trying to get most of my households of multiple generations married when I can now. That's why I'm using the elope option. For each household I should probably at least have one 'golden' wedding. Now that I think about it. For the reward achievement for the household.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Love the pics.
    @Paigeisin5 Thanks! :smile:

@mapletreesims I'm glad I could give you some ideas. I'm totally into the honeymoon, as well. I usually send my sims to Granite Falls, but this time I re-did Magnolia Promenade as a tourist town and sent them there.

@Sindocat omg that's awesome that you actually use that book for your sims! Your sims will be more well mannered than most people, LOL.

@Admiral8Q Yeah, I'm not going to do the big wedding for every single sim, just my main sims and then whichever heir I pick for my next main sim (unless I need a gathering for some sort of storytelling drama or something).

• Options
    Here's one more pic -- the bride with her bridesmaids. (The bouquet turned one of the bridesmaid's hair blue, so I just said she couldn't have one because she was allergic, haha.)

68da0a969950669b21b4d08264b0382aa83330fe.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited April 2020
    Not a big fan of weddings here, but I opened an afterschool club for my police sims' kids and made a very rough template for a friendship book for those kiddos. I think that counts as going overboard?

(The oldest club member is ~16, the youngest ~3 (sadly she cannot be part of the club, but still visit the hangout lot with older relatives). In case you wonder, children of all ages mingling is something normal for my game, because the faction a sim belongs to is important. The now 16 year old might not be too thrilled to hang out with a ten year old, but as they grow up, their age difference will mean less and less and they will profit from the connections they have formed at a young age already.)

Anyway, here is the book:

freundebuchx8jsj.png

The tickboxes reflect my setting, where aliens and robots are commonplace, but not vampires.
    The not quite stellar grammar is on purpose, because in my headcanon ten year old Alice created this book.

This is the only page I've finished so far. It was filled out by Brandon, the godson of Alice's grandfather. Brandon's mother and Alice's grandfather are both members of the Good Timers.

brandon28hkma.png

The lost diary scene happened for real in my game. Brandon teased Alice with having read it.
    The Selfie shows Brandon with Alice's new step-father, Hank's son.

Also Brandon's mom: "You are NOT going to put a picture of a toilet in there! The poor child!"
    "Can I put a pic of me repairing stuff, mom?" - "Yes, that's okay."
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Wow @QueenofMyshuno ! What you did is so interesting. For me, the only thing that I did was to prepare the venue, guests, foods, cake & photo booth. The most struggling part for me was to get the pictures for all the guests. How I wish that we could actually hire a photographer & actually can took a picture with all the guests like any other wedding. :D

Have you ever done a live stream for your Sims wedding or any video of it? I would love to attend it someday. It sounds amazing!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    @EnkiSchmidt That is totally overboard, and I totally love it!! I also like Brandon’s trickiness with the toilet photo, LOL. That’s so cool how you’ve given them a unique culture with their own cultural traditions.
  • Options
    @xamira99 Thanks! I think the only real way to get decent photos of more than 2 people is to use poses, unfortunately. No live streams, but I do have the whole wedding in pics on the stories/legacies/challenges board (or whatever it’s called) here on the forum. It’s called “Vintage Newcrest”—I think the wedding starts on the second page.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I like to plan out weddings. I give them outfits to wear instead of the game's random ones. I write down the guest list in the google doc I use to keep track of sims stuff, but I don't have a pretty one like the one you showed. I also like to check out the venue beforehand and pose them during the wedding.
    (Side note: really wish the game had bridesmaids and groomsmen)
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg