Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it wrong to restart all of your Sims families all over again?

I feel bad doing so.

Comments

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    nope, it's fun to restart when you feel like it.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    No, play however you want. That's the beauty of the Sims :) Anyways, it's a game. You're allowed to play games more than once, even the same way
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Not at all. I always enjoy a fresh start.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    You can do anything you want, it's your game. :)
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It's totally up to you. It's yours. ;)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Nope! I do this quite often! :smile: I've even played the same exact story more than once... lol However, I'll admit it does get boring after the third or fourth time, so that's when I start switching things up (new aspirations, new traits, new looks for my Sims, etc).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    If you feel like playing the same family again, go for it. I see no reason to feel bad about it.
  • Options
    AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I don't tend to revisit a family. If I've grown disinterested it's time for a new and very different set of characters. :smile:
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Is it wrong to restart all of your Sims families all over again?
    Yes. Prepare for punishment.

No. I do it all the time. Try not to project your own feelings onto the Sims. They won't blame you <3

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    It's not wrong at all but I understand the feeling. Especially when you start from a couple or a single Sim and restarting feels like abandoning their offspring. But restating is just creating a multiverse ;)
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    There's no 'right' and 'wrong' way to play. That's the beauty of The Sims; it's a fully customisable world with little to no rules to limit you from playing the game however you want to, and if there's something you can't do, you can get mods to make it possible (or maybe it'll be included in a pack later on). Want a peaceful world with a happy family where everything goes to plan? Want to have a world where your sim impregnates every other sim in existence and kills their spouses? There are no barriers with The Sims; it's all left to the player. You can restart as you wish to; we all have those sims that we love to play with and want to see the sim reach its full potential; sometimes we don't do it right the first time or something goes horrifically wrong (still miss you everyday, Brandi :'( ).
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    @anisim Start a new save, so your families are still there if you want to go back to them. I do that all the time, and once I realize I'm not missing them, I delete the other ones. But I do have my generational gamesave still kicking around. It's great. Just click "save as" instead of "save" and go start a new adventure.
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I had only one save since day 1that somehow got deleted. I had to start them over. Thankfully I had them and their houses in my library. It was such a pain to put them all back. I don't think I would ever want to do that again but if I did, I wouldn't feel bad about it on any moral level.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I recently went to my cloud storage just to see what was in there and found a save from 2014. I put it in my game. I went to manage households and I found my favorite Sim that I thought I had lost. I plucked her from her family and stated a fresh save with just her. Her name is Aster Craft and she is the eldest daughter of the first family I played in The Sims 4. She is just so pretty. I thought about her every time I created a Sim. I missed her. There is something about her that is different. I don't know what it is with her. She is just special to me.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I recently went to my cloud storage just to see what was in there and found a save from 2014. I put it in my game. I went to manage households and I found my favorite Sim that I thought I had lost. I plucked her from her family and stated a fresh save with just her. Her name is Aster Craft and she is the eldest daughter of the first family I played in The Sims 4. She is just so pretty. I thought about her every time I created a Sim. I missed her. There is something about her that is different. I don't know what it is with her. She is just special to me.

That is so awesome. I WISH I had my favorite Sims 3 households. For a bunch of pixels, I sure do miss them. That surprises me. But for the OP, no. Don't feel bad. Your game, your Sims. Besides, its fun to see what different directions your Sims might take a second go around. Or even the third go around :wink:
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Nope, you are not alone. I do it too, i actually struggle to stick with a family for too long. I get bored and wanna fresh start. It’s actually fun because you can try and see how differently you can do things. Go for it and have fun!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited February 2020
    No, it's not wrong. There is no wrong or right way to play this game. You're merely playing with life. I look at it the same way as writing a book. Sometimes the outline being followed goes awry in the written form and either a redraft (starting all over again) or a revision is called for. I just exited without saving because something occurred which was untoward in my game, and totally out-of-character for the Sim who made a HUGE mistake. There is no way he would have hooked up in a closet in a bar with his own mother and dear wife on the lot. :open_mouth: This called for a 'revision'. Other times dumb stuff (sometimes including Operator Malfunction, as we call it in my household, meaning the player in this case me, accidentally created a faux pas that wrecks the game's progress). Other times, it's the game doing the wrecking, such as the time it appeared (after a patch) to be deliberately targeting a particular Sim of mine for death. He died twice and was about to die a third time of the same thing, Hysteria, when I came over to this site for help. Needless to say, I exited without saving. Realizing I had a saved copy that I'd made prior to the patch, I switched out the saves folder and carried on. Other times I've grabbed a copy of my Sims family from My Library and started them all again.

It's up to you how you play. If something makes you grossly unhappy, then start over. It's like a writer who has to severely edit pages, or even rip pages out of a manuscript back to where the chapter just went wrong, and going forward again.

Just know that what happened in the previous game, won't necessarily play out the way it did the time before. But, that's the beauty of it in the long run. Edit away and enjoy playing!

@Stina1701A I recreated the Sims family I made, starting back in Sims2. I don't tend to play premmades as I play characters I've created for the books I've written. Just go into CAS and create your favorites from Sims3!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Like others said, it's your game play it how you want.

I've started over several times, sometimes using the same characters in a new playthrough. Other times just never going back to them when it turned out that the "fun factor" only lasted so long with them.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Nope. I do it all the time. :D
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I tend to play the same in several games. I know who they are, I just want to play them out differently. They are vampires, witches, Uni students, single, married with children. I don't feel like coming up with new Sims or ideas any more. I do what I feel like doing. Enjoy your game. Do what you want in the moment.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's not wrong. You can play however you want. I try not to restart my game though. I like all the progress I have made in one save.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I don't see why it would be wrong or bad. I used to do this in TS3, but that was mainly because my saves would always corrupt after so many generations.

It isn't something I'd personally do nowadays, so I don't, but that's the fun of this game; you aren't restricted to play by specific guidelines. You can play however you want. It's your game. :)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I tend to play the same in several games. I know who they are, I just want to play them out differently. They are vampires, witches, Uni students, single, married with children. I don't feel like coming up with new Sims or ideas any more. I do what I feel like doing. Enjoy your game. Do what you want in the moment.

I have to say that I set up duo game saves when I first started to experiment with a new mod that could have dire consequences. Same family, same lot, just different save. I had to spell their surname slightly different to tell them apart, however. The worst that could happen, did and although I still had the alternate game save, I ended up removing the mod and starting a fresh saves folder. Gotta wash that stain out, you know? LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It is never wrong to play the game in the way that makes you happy.
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    I do that too, especially when a new expansion pack comes out that includes a new world I like. Just combining a family you enjoyed playing with a new world for a fresh new start can be more fun then have the existing version of that family just move there from where they lived before.