Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Britechester World Discussion

Comments

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 553 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I really hope the dimensions of the Tower Lot are at the most 50x50. and the Lot next to it with the green roof is also 50x50. Omg and then the lot adjacent to the green roof lot is hopefully 30x40. I could turn this world into a mini Town Square.

I don't think the building with the tower or the building with the green roof are lots. The buildings themselves look like shells. I think the only buildable lot you can see in that picture is the one on the far left, and I think only the upper-most floor of that building is able to be edited. Possibly dorms in there.
  • Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    ZeuKv5G.png

I hope those easels aren't part of the public space and the students just put it there out of their inventory...
    But judging that there are Greek Banners in the area Now I'm afraid those are stuck there. unless it's like festivals, where if a Greek Fraternity/sorority is hosting an event their banners are up up?

But the neighborhood set up makes me hope that maybe Brightchester and Foxbury doesn't have to be a University world? But most likely they'll use special lots that can't be edited without cheats or something. but we have four visible lots here that can be manipulated somehow.

I really hope the dimensions of the Tower Lot are at the most 50x50. and the Lot next to it with the green roof is also 50x50.
    Omg and then the lot adjacent to the green roof lot is hopefully 30x40. I could turn this world into a mini Town Square.

Because the Lot with The Tower, structure I'd Place my "City Hall" but it could be used for the College of Law
    the building I would Place on the lot next to that I would put my Cathedral, and that could be College of Arts and Sciences ("History/Art/Music/Culture")

and on the next lot I want to place a restaurant. that's also a Culinary School.
    Judging from the other scene around the square it doesn't look like the easels are always there
    ftHR3rH.jpg
    also I fear those buildings might be backdrops

ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I really hope the dimensions of the Tower Lot are at the most 50x50. and the Lot next to it with the green roof is also 50x50. Omg and then the lot adjacent to the green roof lot is hopefully 30x40. I could turn this world into a mini Town Square.

I don't think the building with the tower or the building with the green roof are lots. The buildings themselves look like shells. I think the only buildable lot you can see in that picture is the one on the far left, and I think only the upper-most floor of that building is able to be edited. Possibly dorms in there.

Ugh if those buildings are shells that would be annoying. But that's how they did it in Get to Work with the Hospital and Police Station. It could be the case here... hopefully not.
    crysk wrote: »
    ZeuKv5G.png

I hope those easels aren't part of the public space and the students just put it there out of their inventory...
    But judging that there are Greek Banners in the area Now I'm afraid those are stuck there. unless it's like festivals, where if a Greek Fraternity/sorority is hosting an event their banners are up up?

But the neighborhood set up makes me hope that maybe Brightchester and Foxbury doesn't have to be a University world? But most likely they'll use special lots that can't be edited without cheats or something. but we have four visible lots here that can be manipulated somehow.

I really hope the dimensions of the Tower Lot are at the most 50x50. and the Lot next to it with the green roof is also 50x50.
    Omg and then the lot adjacent to the green roof lot is hopefully 30x40. I could turn this world into a mini Town Square.

Because the Lot with The Tower, structure I'd Place my "City Hall" but it could be used for the College of Law
    the building I would Place on the lot next to that I would put my Cathedral, and that could be College of Arts and Sciences ("History/Art/Music/Culture")

and on the next lot I want to place a restaurant. that's also a Culinary School.

Judging from the other scene around the square it doesn't look like the easels are always there
    ftHR3rH.jpg
    also I fear those buildings might be backdrops

yeah the one far off might be.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think there are three neighborhoods. One for the University of Britechester campus. One for the Foxbury Institute campus. And the third would be the college town where the bar and other public places are located. In the picture of Britechester with the canal running through it, you can see a nice sized European styled world. I think everything on the far side of that canal is a painted back drop similar to the Main street in Brindleton Bay. One side is playable, the other side of the street is painted.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think the quad has four buildings around it: the tower shell to the north, two matching buildings to the east and west, and an (unseen) building to the south.

The tower looks like a complete shell. The east/west matching buildings are shells, but the tops are buildable (like apartments or penthouses in CL). You can tell because the windows on the lower half are blurry and fake, like the ones on the tower, but the windows on the top can be seen through. The building to the south hasn't been show from outside, but in the screenshot of the U of B common area you can see the east building out the window.

Pardon the quick and terrible photoshop hack job (open in new tab for larger size):

6xLnLWK.jpg

I'm guessing:
    North building - Shell
    East/West buildings - Dorms
    South building- Common area

Can't pin down where the debate room and library are. Debate room could be in the South building; libraries is a venue type so that's probably in its own separate building.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    So I'm assuming this is a Residential World meaning your sim whether they go to Uni or not can live there or visit. Gamepacks so far are the only packs that's offered Destination Worlds.

It would be good if the world is just another livable world where you can decide if you only keep it as a university world or also as a regular build where there just happen to be a university and dorms.

With that, I REALLY hope we get apartment lot that we can build ourselves along with enough lots to also place regular houses for sims to live in if they desire to live just around the corner of their university and not just rent a apartment or house.

I did spot a lot and I hope it is a functional one. It had two houses side by side as if both are separate houses to either rent or buy on one lot. THAT would amazing.

1.jpg

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited October 2019
    So I'm assuming this is a Residential World meaning your sim whether they go to Uni or not can live there or visit. Gamepacks so far are the only packs that's offered Destination Worlds.

It would be good if the world is just another livable world where you can decide if you only keep it as a university world or also as a regular build where there just happen to be a university and dorms.

With that, I REALLY hope we get apartment lot that we can build ourselves along with enough lots to also place regular houses for sims to live in if they desire to live just around the corner of their university and not just rent a apartment or house.

I did spot a lot and I hope it is a functional one. It had two houses side by side as if both are separate houses to either rent or buy on one lot. THAT would amazing.

1.jpg

I think everything past the canal is a painted backdrop like in Brindleton Bay.

I think the dorms may be in one building (uni-sex) and not separate buildings as in the past.

If there are no Greek houses (and I hope there are) I will build a house myself and move an odd collection of misfits into it. Then I should be able to play any or all of them.
  • Options
    [I did spot a lot and I hope it is a functional one. It had two houses side by side as if both are separate houses to either rent or buy on one lot. THAT would amazing.

That looks like decor houses to me. The fences out front are deco pieces that have been used elsewhere in the game, and the window on our left side looks like the windows on the other house shells in the background.

I think there are three lots we can see in that view, though. More bad photoshop incoming:

b6VRuk4.jpg

There are possibly two other lots in this area: the pub (although that might be the far right bottom lot), and the official screenshot showing two women in a shared bedroom. You can see the canal out their window, but there's also a balcony on their building that doesn't seem to be on any of these lots.

I could be wrong, though.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,734 Member
    Britechester looks like it would be located near Willow Creek.

Foxbury near either Brindleton Bay or Newcrest
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    mika wrote: »

I think it's Foxbury that's supposed to be around Willow Creek - hence the lobster mascot. :)
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    If I could speculate I would say it’s probably a destination world. The way it worked in TS2 (and I think TS3 as well) it was accessed by being a teen and moving there, where you quickly aged up to YA. Then you had to stay until you graduate or drop out. The off campus living is where I had roommates living together in party houses away from the dorms. I don’t think teachers or other regular sims will live there.
    But I could be mistaken.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    See, I think the lobsters are definitely from Brindleton Bay which is basically New England. Europe has lobsters too, so it could be Windenburg. I'd think of dinosaurs as being more from Oasis Springs/Del Sol Valley (La Brea Tar Pits) but the terrain is obviously not the desert.

Ultimately though, what does it matter? I'm glad that there are two campuses. I guess in a way, Glimmerbrook is kind of the third college campus in the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,753 Member
    edited October 2019
    And just how are we to pronounce it? I say Brit-KESTOR, but I'm willing to learn the proper way.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,753 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    One neighborhood for each primary campus, and one neighborhood for each campus' dorm buildings. Depending on how they have things set up, the campuses and the dorm buildings could each be the same for both campuses, with just some cosmetic rebranding depending on which campus you're attending, but I'd think that at least the dorms would be different - assuming you can have active sims in the same family attending different universities.

I'm pretty sure the actual classes would all be rabbit holes (since they didn't show any lectures/classrooms in the trailer) so I don't know what the purpose of having a primary campus neighborhood is. I think the campus and the dorms would all be in the same neighborhood, along with libraries and buildings for extracurricular activities (like robotics).
    This but then a 5th neighborhood for community lots.

5 would be really generous as we haven't gotten 5 neighborhoods in a pack since City Living three years ago (Island Living for example only had 3 neighborhoods).

I'm expecting one neighborhood for University of Britechester, one for the Foxbury Institute, and one for off-campus housing & community lots, for 3 neighborhoods in total.

I'm fine with rabbit hole classes. I got to a point in Sims3 Uni where it all got rather old so I would speed the game up until class let out, then my Sim(s) could go about more interesting and fun things to do.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    And just how are we to pronounce it? I say Brit-KESTOR, but I'm willing to learn the proper way.

...there’s no K to even make the k sound. Saw gamechangers saying it is Bright-Chester
  • Options
    Actually, if you wanted to make it really English, you would leave out the "h" and make it Britecester, pronounced "Brightsesterr". It would be a leftover Latin/Roman market town. The stone buildings would have likely been a monastery and then a university. All very believable. That would make it like Gloucester, Cirencester, etc. Chester is just one of those towns.

Roxbury could also be in England, Massachusetts ... or Saturday Night Live.
  • Options
    Actually, if you wanted to make it really English, you would leave out the "h" and make it Britecester, pronounced "Brightsesterr". It would be a leftover Latin/Roman market town. The stone buildings would have likely been a monastery and then a university. All very believable. That would make it like Gloucester, Cirencester, etc. Chester is just one of those towns.

If it was Britecester, it would get pronounced "Brit-ster" or "Bright-ster". And Roxbury might be in SNL... but Foxbury [Institute] probably isn't ;)
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

If it were Britecester, it would possibly also be pronounced Brite-ster since that middle part gets dropped (it was a fun thing to try and figure out, specifically with Gloucester lol).

But then, there's the University of Manchester...:
    universityofmanchester-845224.jpg?10000
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited October 2019

I’m imagining Britechester near Windenburg, Forgotten hollow and Gimmerbrooke

Britechester has more of a New England Feel than Brindleton Bay does.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member

If it were Britecester, it would possibly also be pronounced Brite-ster since that middle part gets dropped (it was a fun thing to try and figure out, specifically with Gloucester lol).

But then, there's the University of Manchester...:
    universityofmanchester-845224.jpg?10000

I'm wondering if Foxbury is based off a particular Former Polytechnic or Plate Glass university.

Also, since the topic came up:
    Generic forms in British place names
  • Options
    I was a bit busy when I wrote the above. I totally thought Foxbury was Roxbury. (Jimmy Fallon + engineering?!)

Whether the middle gets pronounced or not probably depends on the specific accent in question. It's hard to describe this without sounding it out but some Brits would lightly pronounce the middle in "Brightcester". The "r" at the end definitely gets softened possibly to non-existence.

My point was just that the "c" becomes more like an "s". Yes, Manchester is interesting because Manchester and Mancunian are pronounced totally differently. It's because the "chester" ending is really old.

I know they are spelling it as "Britechester" but a quick glance at Wikipedia says that the "Bright" part of the word goes back to at least medieval times and would have been "Bristel" (like Bristol).

So all this means that the place name would be good for a historic medieval save too.

I haven't looked closely into it but it does seem like the two campuses could be as British as American minus the people dressed as lobsters, etc.
  • Options
    jooxis wrote: »

I think it's Foxbury that's supposed to be around Willow Creek - hence the lobster mascot. :)

Uh, Im not seeing the connection between Willow Creek and lobsters....?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,444 Member

I'm surprised the mascot for Britechester wasn't a llama and Foxbury a Fox
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    ZeuKv5G.png

Maybe that area around the monument will be similar to the festival since in the trailer the banners aren't there even they are TPing the monument
  • Options

I'm surprised the mascot for Britechester wasn't a llama and Foxbury a Fox

Those would have been much better mascots.