Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited June 2019
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Be sure to vote for 3 each .. I am watching (it is why I run the challenge thru my blog and why I add my own story to the mix even tho I do not get added to the vote). After a good jump start, the numbers are looking a little odd. I encourage you to (with this challenge) be community minded and fair to your fellow participants.

Yeah, my numbers aren't great, but que será, será. If someone votes without reading everyone's story, they're the one missing out! So many strong entries.

Can I ask, what would be considered good numbers? I'm new to this all, so I don't know what's considered good. Last I checked, my first story, Jackpot, had like 130 readers or something. That seemed cool to me. I think the May one has fewer but that's to be expected.

WOW 130 readers?? You had lots of readers from outside of the challenge then .. I only showed 42 clicks in from the challenge for you. BUT this is from the vote post only. How many came in from here or other places I cannot know.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Right now for this month, everyone has 7 to 10 clicks each so far.. very good for so early and not much promo that I have seen
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    Be sure to vote for 3 each .. I am watching (it is why I run the challenge thru my blog and why I add my own story to the mix even tho I do not get added to the vote). After a good jump start, the numbers are looking a little odd. I encourage you to (with this challenge) be community minded and fair to your fellow participants.

Yeah, my numbers aren't great, but que será, será. If someone votes without reading everyone's story, they're the one missing out! So many strong entries.

Can I ask, what would be considered good numbers? I'm new to this all, so I don't know what's considered good. Last I checked, my first story, Jackpot, had like 130 readers or something. That seemed cool to me. I think the May one has fewer but that's to be expected.

WOW 130 readers?? You had lots of readers from outside of the challenge then .. I only showed 42 clicks in from the challenge for you. BUT this is from the vote post only. How many came in from here or other places I cannot know.

mm, yeah, a lot from this forum and from WordPress Reader and a few random sources. Such a supportive community.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Good luck everybody ! I gave up due to my s3cc that broke my game as I wanted to enter with it. I am still in the long process of rebuilding it. Thank you for following my new followers , thank you for the people who read my story in silence and see you later I hope so ^^ I will challenge someday in time.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Good luck everybody ! I gave up due to my s3cc that broke my game as I wanted to enter with it. I am still in the long process of rebuilding it. Thank you for following my new followers , thank you for the people who read my story in silence and see you later I hope so ^^ I will challenge someday in time.

Hey. Maybe you could try it without the CC this time? My CC and mods broke my game when I wrote my story and as a result I have taken screenshots with a vanilla (bare) game and I am still happy with the results (sort of fitting, because I feel like I exposed myself in a way with my entry and took my mask off for a while). Just a suggestion.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    May is now closed .. the blog will be out soon.

I have HUGE apologies to @chluke75 I just saw now that I did not put your story on the front page .. I am soo soo soo sorry! It is on the blog.

If you ever see that happen to your story please do not hesitate to let me know <3 Sometimes I may not have gotten to them but SOMETIMES I may have slipped up.

Not at all necessary Lisa. You do exceptional work for all of this, and still manage to squeeze your own stories in there as well. :)

And by the looks of things, I have a lot of reading to do! I can't wait to get to everyone's story.
  • Options
    @breckenridge you need to convince them to vote! <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options

We are patient my friend .. take your time <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    @breckenridge Well, I hope you do (i.e., have an established fan base) after this contest! That’s an amazing amount of views.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options
    haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    @lisabee2 Is @CitizenErased14 the only one to post a story so far? Will they be posted here or somewhere else? I'm new to this and can't seem to find where the stories are. Thank you for your help! :)
  • Options
    Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2019
    @haswh Are you looking for the May stories (the ones currently open for voting)? Or the June stories (that challenge started two days ago)? @CitizenErased14 is the only person to submit for June so far, but the month is young so expect more as the month goes on. But the May stories can be found here May Submissions and Voting on lisabee's site. You can also go to the front page of this discussion to find the link. Hope that helps! :smile:
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options
    chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    Right now for this month, everyone has 7 to 10 clicks each so far.. very good for so early and not much promo that I have seen

I'm not sure how your numbers work, but I will say that I tend to read a few at a time, then have to leave and come back after a while. I have issues with reading, and any more than that tends to make a mess of my mind, though I haven't voted yet of course. I also wait until it's voting time to read any of them, so I don't bias myself with something I've seen ahead of time. It generally takes me a couple of days get through all of them.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    haswh wrote: »
    @lisabee2 Is @CitizenErased14 the only one to post a story so far? Will they be posted here or somewhere else? I'm new to this and can't seem to find where the stories are. Thank you for your help! :)

Hey @haswh ! :heart:@Qnshr5 is right -- I'm the only June submission so far, but more will start trickling in as the month goes on! Voting for June won't be until July 1st, and between now and then, the first page will be updated with story submissions as they come. Right now, it's the voting period for the May stories. All the May entries (and the voting link) are linked on the first page, I believe second or third post down! Hope that helps! :blush::heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    @breckenridge Well, I hope you do (i.e., have an established fan base) after this contest! That’s an amazing amount of views.

Thanks, I hope so, that's the idea at least! Build some momentum before I drop my first series. I want to finish the whole thing before I post it in case I need to change something in the beginning as I write the end. Only 4 chapters left to write!
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    Oh I have been mostly out of commission for the past few weeks so I am glad to discover that I have not missed the voting deadline. I am off to read everyone's submissions. yay!
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • Options
    Update and a big shout out to the NOVICE writers. I am not in the best frame of mind for well thought out comments today, but it was a pleasure to read each of them and each with a unique take on the theme. :) Now, more coffee because the vetran category will take a while. Thanks for the reading material everyone. Good luck in the votes.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Minraed wrote: »
    Update and a big shout out to the NOVICE writers. I am not in the best frame of mind for well thought out comments today, but it was a pleasure to read each of them and each with a unique take on the theme. :) Now, more coffee because the vetran category will take a while. Thanks for the reading material everyone. Good luck in the votes.

Right? I was worried that simlit was losing authors but a lot of great new authors have just appeared out of thin air. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Apologies for my morning spamming, but it is in good intentions. I have missed so much so I am now in a whirlwind of catch up. Thank you everyone for your stories. It made for a pleasant morning. It is so difficult to choose and so cliche I know, but it is not about winning, these really are all great in their own right. Keep on scribbling everyone. I am definitely looking forward to more of these as the months go by.
  • Options
    haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    Thank you both @Qnshr5 and @CitizenErased14! :) I shall wait for more for June and maybe go read the May stories for good measure.
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    I read and voted for the Mother stories! I have to say, and I knew this would happen based on the theme, I shed more than a few tears. The stories were touching, heartbreaking and surprising with happy endings. I loved them all. Congrats to everyone that submitted a story! <3
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Hi everyone! Back from vacation and just finished reading and re-reading all of the fabulous submissions for May. It is getting harder to vote for just three, especially in the Veteran category. So many good stories. And the Novice category stories are just so wonderful as well. I voted. but it was hard. Congrats to everyone for submitting a short story.
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Is there a reason we're not promoting the story contest on /r/thesims? Thought I would check first.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options
    Is there a reason we're not promoting the story contest on /r/thesims? Thought I would check first.

Nope feel free to promo it everywhere... everywhere .. I am only one person .. I put it out on about 12 FB groups, 2 FB pages, my Twitter, my Tumblr, Instagram and a couple of Discord but my reach is limited to my network and I hope all the contributing scribblers are giving it a good push to their networks too.

You certainly can do the forum .. I have never had a response from the forum so I don't post there .. maybe you will have better luck
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Minraed wrote: »
    Apologies for my morning spamming, but it is in good intentions. I have missed so much so I am now in a whirlwind of catch up. Thank you everyone for your stories. It made for a pleasant morning. It is so difficult to choose and so cliche I know, but it is not about winning, these really are all great in their own right. Keep on scribbling everyone. I am definitely looking forward to more of these as the months go by.

Such a great sentiment, @Minraed . I just read / reread all the May entries, and the quality and originality is outstanding. There's something for every type of reader, too, which is so neat. I feel each one is a worthy candidate for winning which is so cool and impressive.

One of the things that stood out to me in this batch is the skillful ways writers are using screenshots, not merely to illustrate but to reveal significant elements, to reinforce symbols, and to enhance the text. Such skillful work.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Hokey smokes the vote is all over the place .. it is even closer this month than last month

I agree @CathyTea and for me that is what sets simlit apart .. I enjoy bringing significant parts of the story to light with them ... I believe they augment not decorate
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger