Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starter Home or Starter Apartment?

For those of you who play some households without cheating, which would you rather start off in?

With me, Ive noticed that with apartments your $$$ stretches further. Im able to completely furnish and decorate apartments and make them suitable for my sim , without using up all the $20,000 simoleons . But with starter homes, the money gets eaten up quick. Each square adds more to the cost and unless you furnish and decorate very sparsely, you barely have any money at all left after.
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Starter Home or Starter Apartment? 57 votes

Starter Apartment
38%
Akl500PStrangerthanBeardedgeekPlumbobCrossingRainbowDust1LissyK9texxx78CellardwellerAquaGamer1212shnailehPotterheadSimaobaldavorElle_AnneSimDestroyerTeena94ListentoToppDoggnerdfashionmapletreesimsMaddieplaysgames 22 votes
Starter Home
61%
vancanuckfan86Jadeleinealexspoom13Colorist40Angel_mixWritin_RegBloosmooelanorbretonAnmirlaChanty25keenowJennyggduhboy2u2spice3phantasmkissClassicalSimAceOfKnavesannaliese39mariajane216tnb494 35 votes

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Starter Apartment
    I rarely start with an apartment but I agree with you that it's better for a start. Renting instead of owning.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited May 2019
    Starter Home
    I prefer starter homes, as most of my Sims have a garden. While I agree that you do have more money for furniture when starting out in an apartment, it's not like a starter home always ends up very sparsely furnished.
    It really depends on how you build it and whether you choose quality furniture over decorations. I've built dozens of starter homes, for single Sims and families as big as four Sims (and everything in between). I've even built furnished starter homes for less than 10K, which means I could have used 10K to upgrade items and decorate if I wanted to. Also, debug is a great way to add a bit of decoration and character to a home for zero simoleons.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Starter Home
    Home. I can get more creative with a small build.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Starter Home
    The 20,000 simoleons are more than enough for a high end fridge, cheap counter, (no stove yet, as they do not have cooking skill anyway), very good bed, high end shower and a good toilet. With that my sims are well equipped to earn the rest of their home without suffering from uncomfortable moodlets. I only ever use the crappy starter furniture for poverty challenges or similar cases.

Although I also enjoy forcing them to start with zero simoleons and on empty lot and in this case they cannot even afford an apartment >:)
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Starter Home
    It depends on the story behind the save.

In general, the home would be my preference because I like my Sims to have a garden and I can keep altering the home as need be. But if I'm playing an Archaeologist (or the back story involves traveling and paying for lodging), I start with an apartment because they need the extra funds. The Apartment is also better for the Archaeologist because the artifacts will not increase the weekly bills (since it's included in the rent).
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Starter Home
    I usually start off with a house because I like being able to build/change outside the wall boundary, and I like having a yard. I rarely play in apartments, though I have a couple times. The last time I played an apartment I had a dog, and he couldn't go to the bathroom without my taking him downstairs, so it was back to having a yard for me!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Starter Home
    Home - I have complete control over the lot and there are less glitches. I don't ever play in San Myshuno - only the festivals once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Starter Apartment
    Apartment because I generally prefer them to houses.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Starter Home
    I usually start with a home but I think it might make more sense to do a starter apartment so that the sim can make and save money for any future family or plans they may have.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    Starter Apartment
    It really depends on the kind of life I want my sim to have. Apartments are great if you want a bustling social life. So yeah, to start out, they're great and much cheaper than houses. But once I want to settle down and have a family, I usually move to a house, because noisy neighbours waking up toddlers in the middle of the night is THE most annoying thing!!

Sometimes though, I'll start out at a house if I want my sim to have that family life straight away. Then when they have kids and their kids turn to adults, I'll move the now adult kid to an apartment and play them.
  • Options
    MicroVisceraMicroViscera Posts: 4 New Member
    Starter Apartment
    For me, it depends what sort of story I'm going for. I usually pick apartments first for the gameplay, and because I enjoy decorating apartments.

However, this is probably because I only make households of 1-2 sims at a time. On the occasion that I make a larger household, I go for the house because of the garden, extra space, and expansion potential.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2019
    It depends.

Apartments are handy if you plan to buy a business lot. You can furnish them with the minimum, or leave them unfurnished to begin with while you "live" on the business lot.

Houses are better if you are planning a bigger household, or your sim needs large hobby objects like the rocket or a big garden.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Starter Apartment
    I mean, I don't have City Living, but as a city kind of person, and with all the benefits you just mentioned, it would definetly be an apartment.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Starter Home
    While the apartment money stretches longer, when you buy a house you invest in a lot. Purchasing the land yourself allows you to upgrade the home easily without restriction. Which I like.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Starter Home
    For those of you who play some households without cheating, which would you rather start off in?

With me, Ive noticed that with apartments your $$$ stretches further. Im able to completely furnish and decorate apartments and make them suitable for my sim , without using up all the $20,000 simoleons . But with starter homes, the money gets eaten up quick. Each square adds more to the cost and unless you furnish and decorate very sparsely, you barely have any money at all left after.

If we had Sims 2 style apts - I would have picked those over starter homes - but I am not fond of Sims 4 apts - so I always pick or build a starter home in Sims 4. Also I would not want to have my sims living down town either - I generally place elders there intown in apts - not sims starting families etc, Again if we just had Sims 2 apts it would have made so much difference to me and all my sims would have probably gotten an apt first.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I dont remember much about Sims 2 apartments , so I cant say what the difference is :)@Writin_Reg
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Starter Apartment
    I wish we could rent homes...for some of my storylines I don’t want them to live in an apartment but rent a cute little starter home. But they have to buy it, which sucks
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @AquaGamer1212 we should have mortgages for houses and rent too as an option.
  • Options
    HeroicsHeroics Posts: 10 New Member
    Starter Home
    I like a sparse environment, so the home cost is fine by me. I have played apartments a few times, but - between annoyed neighbors, the poor traits on most of the starter apartments and annoying neighbors - I only make that choice for story purposes.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Starter Apartment
    I definitely prefer apartment. But then the big city is my favorite world, by far. Especially for the first generation (when you have a large family and tons of money, living somewhere like Del Sol Valley is better).

Benefits:

1. With Seasons installed, RENT WILL NOT INCREASE if you use the thermostat.
    2. Speaking of, rent will not increase no matter how much you upgrade the place.
    3. Easier to manage things like paparazzi if you're a celeb.

Cons:
    1. More expensive to start (but you save money compared to a house already after a week or two)
    2. Have to keep the noise down.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    Starter Home
    I dont remember much about Sims 2 apartments , so I cant say what the difference is :)@Writin_Reg

Well first of all you could build them yourself and you could move multiple families into one building. I would often take and move friends of my Sim who they went to college with into the same apartment buildings - so their kids could grow up together. They had all kind of pre-made apts as well - modern ones, some beach ones (these came with Bella Cove), all kinds. They also had shared areas like play grounds or barbeque areas where families could enjoy time together in the yard. They were great and we could put them anywhere or as I said build them ourselves.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    Starter Home
    keenow wrote: »
    While the apartment money stretches longer, when you buy a house you invest in a lot. Purchasing the land yourself allows you to upgrade the home easily without restriction. Which I like.

Agreed. I'm not big on the apartment restrictions unless it's for a child-less couple, single friends, or a Sim fresh out of 'college'. Also on board with what others said above, mortgages and renting homes may just add a new challenge to the game, and for those like myself who are fine with budgeting as well.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Starter Home
    Heroics wrote: »
    I like a sparse environment, so the home cost is fine by me. I have played apartments a few times, but - between annoyed neighbors, the poor traits on most of the starter apartments and annoying neighbors - I only make that choice for story purposes.

This is me too. Apartments can be quite annoying so I only use them if the story fits. And I like to see my new families struggling a little so they have something to aim for - if they were in a nicely furnished apartment it would feel a bit odd to me if they are meant to be just starting out.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Closed this thread at the request of the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top