Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing the Studio Lot

I've numerous times tried to make edits to the filming studio lot (where sims travel to for the acting career), and each time my sims travel back to the lot, my changes are gone.

Honestly the decor the Sims team used is so disappointing and less than creative, to put it nicely. I've edited the lot (specifically the hair/makeup and wardrobe rooms) to fit my gameplay style and aesthetic, and each time the lot is reset the changes are gone. I understand the whole lot continues to change as you advance in the career and have different sets, etc. Is there a way to make the rooms I've edited stay? Has anyone made edits and traveled back to the lot with the same set to discover the changes they made are present? In other words, does the game load up several different pre-set lots depending on what the set is, a la the Tombs in Jungle Adventure?

I just want ... to not look at ... an ugly ... poorly decorated ... lot. :s

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    That Studio lot is designed and controlled to change on it's on according the how it's stars raise up in fame and stardom - we do not have control of the studio lot at all and they tell you that in the live play on the studio. So if you want the studio to look nice it will when you reach a high level with all the stars that work there - it will fix itself. All you can do is try things but it will always change back to where it belongs after you leave - by design. It is self-controlled by the game as you're actually playing at growing it's stars and their fame, not by any changes you make to it. At least not according to what the devs said.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Anfernee93PAnfernee93P Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    That Studio lot is designed and controlled to change on it's on according the how it's stars raise up in fame and stardom - we do not have control of the studio lot at all and they tell you that in the live play on the studio. So if you want the studio to look nice it will when you reach a high level with all the stars that work there - it will fix itself. All you can do is try things but it will always change back to where it belongs after you leave - by design. It is self-controlled by the game as you're actually playing at growing it's stars and their fame, not by any changes you make to it. At least not according to what the devs said.

Yes, understood as I stated before in the OP.

Even when reaching a high level, even on the lots that are supposed to be "up and coming" and "hottest spot in town" look like you know what. The fact that we cant edit the studio the same way we can edit the hospital/police station/science lots is bizarre and quite frankly annoying and lazy on the creative teams part. It's something a 10 year old could make in game. I always stood up for Sims 4 online, but now I've switched to the dark side. This is embarrassing and pathetic on the teams part.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    ...this is awful.... you can't edit the presets, then? Maxis isn't very good at decorating, so I always demolish and remake their stuff, or download someone's much improved version.

I haven't gotten Get Famous yet, but this is something that would make me livid. Ugh. So much for us playing our game when they force us to play the way they want instead.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Even when reaching a high level, even on the lots that are supposed to be "up and coming" and "hottest spot in town" look like you know what. The fact that we cant edit the studio the same way we can edit the hospital/police station/science lots is bizarre and quite frankly annoying and lazy on the creative teams part. It's something a 10 year old could make in game. I always stood up for Sims 4 online, but now I've switched to the dark side. This is embarrassing and pathetic on the teams part.

Actually it is the opposite of lazy as it takes a lot of hard work to do gradual build up the programming for auto changing the special building as the people who work there create circumstances and play so the building auto changes according to the learnings, talent and successes of it's workforce and other employees. It is harder than the changes done to say JA visitors and archeologist jng;e and temple - which are more on a variegating loop - where as the studio has to deal with various precise calculations of it's different stars and workforce etc. - so technically it is far from lazy. Lazy would have been what one got if the player could do all the work and changes for them - like in GTW building tht don't change. So you are very wrong when you look at the Studio - it is far more advanced in it's programming and development than
    any other buildings in the game thus far.

Even I as angry as I am over the lack of lots, I can see the work that went into the star system and programming of the studio - and recognize it is massive far from laziness for sure. You cannot possibly call what they did slacking at all if you know anything at all about programming. Even the work on the neighborhood itself is far from lazy - I wish it was more lazy in that respect and we could have blank lots to put houses in instead of all that neighborhood work.

I can actually respect what I see and know the work that went into this game and still be angry it is more a visual work of art than it is a place for me to enjoy what they have done by having my own characters able to live there and play it. I can be angry and at the same time acknowledge the amazing work that went into this pack - because I do not let my anger become unjust and unfair to what the game shows what went into it just because I am mad. Surely you can look beyond your anger, and not falsely accuse the team for all the work and amazing side of this pack. I won't even buy it because I can't bring my chosen sims I had worked on for this world to the world - but at the same time I have to acknowledge what they did in the pack is truly marvelous and above almost anything yet to have came to this game. It is quite thorough on top of it.

Of course it is useless to me if I have no place for my 5 households to move to - but I have to be truthful at what I see.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    If it’s just going to change after a few promotions there’s no point in letting you edit the studio. It makes more sense that we cannot as it is programmed to change after a period of progression. You’d have to edit it again. And again. And again. I prefer it like this myself.

Unfortunately it looks like something you’re going to have to live with.

—T
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Well, technically we can't edit those lots either, not without cheating, so no we don't rule and it's a fact if those lots are edited they cause players problems with that pack. So, we are virtually locked out of our own games. It reminds me of how MS decided in Vista, and Windows 7 we should not be able to read some of our own files, no matter if administrator of the pc. And how we had to jump through hoops to be able to edit some files and give ourselves permission to even read them.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

Well, technically we can't edit those lots either, not without cheating, so no we don't rule and it's a fact if those lots are edited they cause players problems with that pack. So, we are virtually locked out of our own games. It reminds me of how MS decided in Vista, and Windows 7 we should not be able to read some of our own files, no matter if administrator of the pc. And how we had to jump through hoops to be able to edit some files and give ourselves permission to even read them.

EA's lots suck. If you know how to build properly then you can make lots that are functional (no routing issues) and look and feel MUCH better than the ones EA gives you. I've replaced all of the special lots.

Besides, if messing with it is going to 'mess it up' I'd rather than that chance than be locked out of it. It's my game. They treat us like children and don't trust us to be able to build intelligently and efficiently.

It's condescending.
  • Options
    DreamaDove wrote: »

EA's lots suck. If you know how to build properly then you can make lots that are functional (no routing issues) and look and feel MUCH better than the ones EA gives you. I've replaced all of the special lots.

Besides, if messing with it is going to 'mess it up' I'd rather than that chance than be locked out of it. It's my game. They treat us like children and don't trust us to be able to build intelligently and efficiently.

It's condescending.

You remove the special lots - how will you play the game - they require the special lots.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

It's condescending.

You remove the special lots - how will you play the game - they require the special lots.

...replace them with other special lots. Same lot but rebuilt.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Good luck with that. Not my problem though - anyway - not buying this pack - so won't have to deal with those lots or the lack of residential lots.

Sometime you have to just not step over that line they drew in the sand. 19 years I have bought every pack - every item they ever made for the Sims. I wanted this pack very much - then they sabotaged the world to the size for an gp. This is coming from someone who even bought MFP - but I won't buy this one. How many more eps are they going to make with gp numbers of lots? I am just done. Not an ep if my sims can't live there. GTW was one thing -LA - unforgivable. Don't even want to go to the unchangeable lots.

I just want to know- what part of GF do we start ruling in?

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    The problem for me is that Sims 4 has been turned into a game like any other typical game - the player follows specific gameplay. In previous Sims games, specific gameplay was always there for the player to follow if they wished, but at the same time the tools were available for the player to create his own gameplay, using the players' own unique style. This is something which is really missing for me in Sims 4. I can't do things the way I want to. I can't create my own game which is something which always attracted me to Sims 3. I would like to rule my own game and now I can't. I definitely don't rule.
  • Options

It's condescending.

Oh, I don't have the pack yet. No way I'm buying it until it's at least 50% off. I won't pay more than what a game pack costs for it. I was referring to the hospital, police, and lab lots.

Yeah, we don't have much control in this pack. It really bothers me how much I have to mod my game so it sorta feels 'mine.'

• Options
    Sucom wrote: »
    The problem for me is that Sims 4 has been turned into a game like any other typical game - the player follows specific gameplay. In previous Sims games, specific gameplay was always there for the player to follow if they wished, but at the same time the tools were available for the player to create his own gameplay, using the players' own unique style. This is something which is really missing for me in Sims 4. I can't do things the way I want to. I can't create my own game which is something which always attracted me to Sims 3. I would like to rule my own game and now I can't. I definitely don't rule.

I've started playing ts2, and while I love it it just makes me bitter because it is so detailed and dymanic and fun and BETTER than ts4. Ts2 is a game from 2004... how can it better than a game that came out 10 years later?! I've spent so much for ts4 for an empty game... It just makes me feel like a fool.

and to keep to topic, I refuse to play any pre-built maxis lot. It's not like they're particularly thoughtful with them and design them to be most efficient or reduce lag. Maxis lots are just random mediocre lots. Much beautiful and better functional lots are in the gallery. Honestly, it's just pitiful they won't let the player even change the wallpaper.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2018
    I suppose this might become the way the game is developing, Maybe Seasons was the last of the universal update EPs and we now get more hidden game specific lots or options that take you out of the main worlds. University could be one of those with 1 huge campus lot and the rest dormitories or rentable houses, Farming EP with huge farm or a Marina EP with huge seaside lot. A Zoo EP probably could only house one zoo.

I do remember sending a lot of my Teenage Sims off to University just to get rid of them in the past. :)
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    I suppose this might become the way the game is developing, Maybe Seasons was the last of the universal update EPs and we now get more hidden game specific lots or options that take you out of the main worlds. University could be one of those with 1 huge campus lot and the rest dormitories or rentable houses, Farming EP with huge farm or a Marina EP with huge seaside lot. A Zoo EP probably could only house one zoo.

I do remember sending a lot of my Teenage Sims off to University just to get rid of them in the past. :)

You have to play them at University in past games - they don't play themselves. Perhaps you are thinking of Sims 2's private school where they just went away to.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Scarlett2kScarlett2k Posts: 183 Member
    EA has tried to make the lot a little nicer as the Actor gains in fame. The food and its presentation gets nicer, though the tables should get bigger so that more than four Sims can sit and eat. The crew rushes the food table and by the time my Sim has 'celebrity walked' over to the table, there is nowhere to sit. I think there is a missed opportunity that the star's dressing room doesn't get nicer along the way also. At a certain level there should be flowers in the room and the small buffet table with drink fountain would fit nicely in the corner.

It took my Sim 10 award nominations after reaching Global Superstar before I won an award; it would be great for the 'studio' to send flowers to the Star. Fellow stars could also opt to send something to the other award winners. This could be a nice add on to the flower arranging career.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I've started playing ts2, and while I love it it just makes me bitter because it is so detailed and dymanic and fun and BETTER than ts4. Ts2 is a game from 2004... how can it better than a game that came out 10 years later?! I've spent so much for ts4 for an empty game... It just makes me feel like a fool.

and to keep to topic, I refuse to play any pre-built maxis lot. It's not like they're particularly thoughtful with them and design them to be most efficient or reduce lag. Maxis lots are just random mediocre lots. Much beautiful and better functional lots are in the gallery. Honestly, it's just pitiful they won't let the player even change the wallpaper.

Unlike the GTW lots - no matter what you do to the studio lot - the minute your sim leaves that lot - it automatically goes back to being how it was before you change it. No cheat will allow you to keep it changed. It is very much AI game control programming that only allows change as your actor improve at their job and go up in fame - and the game also makes the pitiful improvements - it allows.

I see no point in anyone trying to do it over, because when their sims leaves the studio, and returns the next time it will be exactly as it was before you changed it.

At least in GTW you could use cheats to change it and it would stay that way - but that does nothing in Studio town. You are simply stuck with AI control and your sims climbing the ladder to get your studio looking better.

Their idea of looking better and mine is two very different things too. It really never looks a lot better from what I have seen in videos anyway.

It's like living in someone else game or house - I could never get comfortable living like that in real life - I like to be surrounded by my own ideas and things - not someone elses. That might be fine for young players who have never had their own houses or apts - but not so fine for adults that decorate to suit themselves. It's how we each make a home our home - and in this case the game our game. It has always been what the Sims was about - and now it's not. Eventually there is going to be nothing left of what has always made the Sims - THE SIMS!

It's just plain sad to me to see what it was and what it is - as eventually with the AI empowered game control/build, people are going to tire of the lack of creation - as it just keeps getting worse. Used to be creation was at least half of the game. Now the game creates it self and in ways not a lot of us appreciate, or player friendly, or worse - even like.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited November 2018

Their idea of looking better and mine is two very different things too. It really never looks a lot better from what I have seen in videos anyway.

It's like living in someone else game or house - I could never get comfortable living like that in real life - I like to be surrounded by my own ideas and things - not someone elses. That might be fine for young players who have never had their own houses or apts - but not so fine for adults that decorate to suit themselves. It's how we each make a home our home - and in this case the game our game. It has always been what the Sims was about - and now it's not. Eventually there is going to be nothing left of what has always made the Sims - THE SIMS!

It's just plain sad to me to see what it was and what it is - as eventually with the AI empowered game control/build, people are going to tire of the lack of creation - as it just keeps getting worse. Used to be creation was at least half of the game. Now the game creates it self and in ways not a lot of us appreciate, or player friendly, or worse - even like.

Well yes, I agree with you. That was my original point. That there should be a cheat for us to use to stop the studio from rebuilding itself constantly, or to just limit what their rebuild to what is necessary-- the stage. The rest of the rooms should be in our control.

part of the reason why their lots suck is because they're limited to basegame + get famous. They can't use stuff from the vintage glamour stuff pack, for example, and because of how they coded the lot we can't, either. Someone else was saying about how the gym lot has a yoga studio?? but because the yoga mats are limited to the spa game pack then people with just basegame just see regular rugs there. It's ridiculous.

And now I just read in another thread that the lounge looks JUST like a cinema... ugh. It's like they're forcing the players to buy the other packs. You want yoga?? Get the spa pack! We already have the room ready!! You want to watch movies in the cinema we built??? Buy the movies pack!!! even though there's no dedicated cinema lot so even if you put a screen there sims will just stand around.

That shouldn't be the case. They should have been able to make interesting lots using items from GF. A modeling branch with a walk way... a performing center for live theater, music, ballet... things like that.

This game is so frustrating for me. I desperately want to like it but there's so many ways it falls short of what it should be I just feel cheated by continuing to support it.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

You have to play them at University in past games - they don't play themselves. Perhaps you are thinking of Sims 2's private school where they just went away to.

No. So long ago it might have been 2. I wasn't keen on University packs, though I bought them and sent all my youngsters to university wholesale whenever I got the chance and played with adults!
  • Options

Well yes, I agree with you. That was my original point. That there should be a cheat for us to use to stop the studio from rebuilding itself constantly, or to just limit what their rebuild to what is necessary-- the stage. The rest of the rooms should be in our control.

part of the reason why their lots suck is because they're limited to basegame + get famous. They can't use stuff from the vintage glamour stuff pack, for example, and because of how they coded the lot we can't, either. Someone else was saying about how the gym lot has a yoga studio?? but because the yoga mats are limited to the spa game pack then people with just basegame just see regular rugs there. It's ridiculous.

And now I just read in another thread that the lounge looks JUST like a cinema... ugh. It's like they're forcing the players to buy the other packs. You want yoga?? Get the spa pack! We already have the room ready!! You want to watch movies in the cinema we built??? Buy the movies pack!!! even though there's no dedicated cinema lot so even if you put a screen there sims will just stand around.

That shouldn't be the case. They should have been able to make interesting lots using items from GF. A modeling branch with a walk way... a performing center for live theater, music, ballet... things like that.

This game is so frustrating for me. I desperately want to like it but there's so many ways it falls short of what it should be I just feel cheated by continuing to support it.

In the video - it has what looks like a new screen. I am pretty certain it is not showing the one from the stuff pack. They showed it during live play.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

In the video - it has what looks like a new screen. I am pretty certain it is not showing the one from the stuff pack. They showed it during live play.

sure, but you don't get any movies.
  • Options

sure, but you don't get any movies.

It was playing something but did not pay attention what it was.

It was just there on a blank wall in the club and a sim was standing there looking at it. No chairs or anything. Looked out of place to me - if you want to be honest. Like it was put there as an afterthought.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It's better (TS2) because with TS4 they changed the genre. Or hasn't anyone noticed? It's more and more check lists, locked lots, locked content, and more and more linear play. More and more limits of the cheats available and more and more gameplay dictated to the player. That isn't the genre this series started out in, and why so many of us long time players are so unhappy with it.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited November 2018
    I've numerous times tried to make edits to the filming studio lot (where sims travel to for the acting career), and each time my sims travel back to the lot, my changes are gone.

Honestly the decor the Sims team used is so disappointing and less than creative, to put it nicely. I've edited the lot (specifically the hair/makeup and wardrobe rooms) to fit my gameplay style and aesthetic, and each time the lot is reset the changes are gone. I understand the whole lot continues to change as you advance in the career and have different sets, etc. Is there a way to make the rooms I've edited stay? Has anyone made edits and traveled back to the lot with the same set to discover the changes they made are present? In other words, does the game load up several different pre-set lots depending on what the set is, a la the Tombs in Jungle Adventure?

I just want ... to not look at ... an ugly ... poorly decorated ... lot. :s

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't gotten the Get Famous Pack yet. Did you try saving your lot you created into your library and save it into your tray? Then put it back in as needed?

If you don't have Tray Importer it's NOT a mod or anything that will mess up your game. It allows you to save anything you have in your library into your Tray folder for Sims 4.

https://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/

It's better (TS2) because with TS4 they changed the genre. Or hasn't anyone noticed? It's more and more check lists, locked lots, locked content, and more and more linear play. More and more limits of the cheats available and more and more gameplay dictated to the player. That isn't the genre this series started out in, and why so many of us long time players are so unhappy with it.

It's gone downhill since Origins took over. I never thought about mods and CC or even had the slightest desire to have them when I play Sims 2 or Sims 3. I love both much more than Sims 4 (don't get me wrong I do love things in Sims 4 especially the building). I can only hope that when Sims 5 comes out they remember how to wow us once again. How to make us all fall in love again with the franchise. They need to playtest everything and not only pay attention to what they want to hear. If it means pushing a release back for superior jaw-dropping content and exciting gameplay I would gladly wait for a later release. Or come up with the Wow Version for extra money that has extra content and better gameplay that we Simmers want. That would come out a month or two after the standard version's release date.

I have to agree it's no longer about individual gameplay whether your Sim is throwing a party, going on a date etc. It's point A to Point B only dictation of how the game must be played to accomplish a goal. I shouldn't need a Codex specific for each new feature to play the Sims. the Sims franchise should be fun and player inspired so that each unique gameplay can make a better experience for all Simmers. Sims 4 should have taken off (even though it takes place in an Alternate Universe) from the Sims Universe we all know and love. I don't mind different canon for this alternate universe but I agree they needed to step it up and bring the game to the next level.
    Post edited by drakharis on
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I am a stickler for making things the way I want but it honestly didn't occurred to me to change the acting career lot. I am not sure why other than I guess having been on a few of the gigs I gathered right away it was a dynamic lot that changed with each acting job my sim went on. The outside seems consistent but I haven't paid a ton of attention. Now that I think about it, that would be a lot of lots to change and I am super glad that it isn't a static lot that just moves the acting points around a few times depending on the job. Come to think of it I never tried to change the festival lots either, can you?
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim