The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dishonest Trailer

DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I wasn't going to make a thread for this, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get.

The new trailer for Get Famous advertises having award ceremonies like this:

https://youtu.be/pvMPTkj_HcQ?t=1m27s (1:27 mark)

notice the roar of a crowd? This suggests that these ceremonies will have hundreds of sims in attendance, which is realistic.

However, in the live stream they did an award ceremony with a total of 6 chairs, each sim had to be told to sit, and if they weren't they were just standing around like at weddings. When the sim getting the award started singing, they all crowded around her which would *not* happen at an actual award ceremony.

https://youtu.be/DV0WT8jPEPw?t=28m2s (28:07 mark)

The two portrayals of the award ceremony are vastly DIFFERENT. The trailer which suggests TONS of people showing up is straight up lying to consumers as what they acutally get if you they the expansion pack is not even close to that. I would have been happy with a couple dozen, but 6!?!?!!?

This is dishonest. It is false advertising. It is tricking consumers into buying a product and it. is. wrong.

and really, after seeing that misrepresentation, I can't help but wonder about the other aspects of the pack and whether what I get will be anywhere like what the trailers show. I don't like watching multiple 1.5 hr streams because I want to discover things myself. Therefore, I rely on trailers to know weather I will like something or not and so I want them to be a fair representation of the pack.

Not. A. Lie.

Comments

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2018
    This is why I never purchase any DLC when it launches. I also always watch let's play footage first.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited November 2018
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    This suggests that these ceremonies will have hundreds of sims in attendance, which is realistic.

The game has always had a maximum limit of 20 sims per zone so to expect hundreds or even a couple dozen to show up to these ceremonies is definitely wishful thinking I'd say

To me, false advertising would have been if they'd have actually shown you hundreds of sims attending the ceremony and then it turned out that that wouldn't have been the case.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ljoejoe871ljoejoe871 Posts: 29 Member
    Like madadelee said, this is nothing new. Sims 2 announce trailer anyone? That one had sims hanging from ceiling fans, sims breathing fire, and other things that weren’t included in the game because of its t for teen rating. Just search the trailer on YouTube.
  • Options
    Cupid wrote: »
    This suggests that these ceremonies will have hundreds of sims in attendance, which is realistic.

The game has always had a maximum limit of 20 sims per zone so to expect hundreds or even a couple dozen to show up to these ceremonies is definitely wishful thinking I'd say

To me, false advertising would have been if they'd have actually shown you hundreds of sims attending the ceremony and then it turned out that that wouldn't have been the case.

They could have had non-interactive NPCs --basically effects just beyond where the player can go with a small area on the front for VIP's - your played sims. If they can't make it seem somewhat realistic, they should have done something else instead like going to a radio show to promote your movie or newsroom interviews.
  • Options
    ljoejoe871 wrote: »
    Like madadelee said, this is nothing new. Sims 2 announce trailer anyone? That one had sims hanging from ceiling fans, sims breathing fire, and other things that weren’t included in the game because of its t for teen rating. Just search the trailer on YouTube.

I've seen it. Though just because something has been done before, it doesn't make it okay now.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

They could have had non-interactive NPCs --basically effects just beyond where the player can go with a small area on the front for VIP's - your played sims. If they can't make it seem somewhat realistic, they should have done something else instead like going to a radio show to promote your movie or newsroom interviews.

That's fine.. but that's all getting into the realm of design decisions and doesn't have much to do with the way they showed off the product. Not that I'm saying they've never advertised falsely before, just that this doesn't strike me as an example of it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,331 Member
    I'd suggest waiting until the game releases, see what other players have to say about gameplay and then decide whether you want to purchase or not. :) As for false advertising if you feel that strongly about it you can contact the appropriate agencies.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,045 Member
    I agree with @DreamaDove. Have watched both videos, and 20 sim cap or not, the first definitely gives the impression that a lot of sims are present, and that said sims are enthusiastic/emotional. As for the second video, I've been to funerals that had more life to them, not to mention more attendees. The variance between what is implied and delivered is glaring, and the suggestion to contact the authorities has merit.
  • Options
    I'd suggest waiting until the game releases, see what other players have to say about gameplay and then decide whether you want to purchase or not. :) As for false advertising if you feel that strongly about it you can contact the appropriate agencies.

I'll wait for LGR's review, but I just can't get over how blatantly different these two award ceremonies are. I can't imagine every bothering to do one in my game if that's how they play out.

• Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Didn't they have the award ceremony on a VIP only lot? I think that would severely limit how many Sims are present.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The trailers have never been accurate. Seasons showed snowball fights that are nothing like the reality in game.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    We've never been able to have hundreds of sims on a single lot (without mods). I don't think this trailer is particularly misleading, and to be fair, Sims trailers are always somewhat misleading. If they had shown hundreds of sims that would be one thing but you're talking about background sound effects, which isn't terribly different than the background music.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Game trailers in general hardly represent actual gameplay. Would be "dishonest" if the awards didn't happen at all. They just make it dramatic to show off new features.

All the packs get their official gameplay trailer near release date.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    What about the trailer when TS2 first came out and kids were swinging from the ceiling fans and other things you couldn't do in the game? Its not actual gameplay its just a trailer.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Well, it seems like I'm the minority being upset with this. I really dislike having to watch any of the livestreams or ~shudders~ the game-changers.

I didn't mind the staging for the other aspects of the trailer, but for this part the stark different between the two just rubbed me the wrong way because while I would have loved for an actual award ceremony, what we get is so pitiful I feels like a straight out lie. a joke.

I really wish the trailers were a better representation. And if they can't make good trailers from game-play alone, maybe that should be a clue that they're making a subpar expansion pack.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    @DreamaDove in case you might not remember the sims2 first trailer players tough that what was in this trailer for sims2 would be in the game was not the case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og8vDhJoj6Q and the same go for this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo until the ep is out we will not know what is in the game until we actualy play it and see what is in the game with or own eyes
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited November 2018
    These trailers have always made it their priority to grasp your attention and your need to buy it, so a whole lot of video editing software and careful placement of things to make everything look good makes for a great trailer; not exactly the most accurate trailer, but the one that will get you nonetheless. I know it sure had me when I only just watched the City Living announcement trailer a month ago after having CL for almost a year now, and the trailer definitely got me excited, even though I knew in my heart that all of this was staged to look very, very well made.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited November 2018
    @DreamaDove in case you might not remember the sims2 first trailer players tough that what was in this trailer for sims2 would be in the game was not the case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og8vDhJoj6Q and the same go for this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo until the ep is out we will not know what is in the game until we actualy play it and see what is in the game with or own eyes

Ahh sweet nostagia lol Sorry off topic. I just really love those trailers lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    These trailers have always made it their priority to grasp your attention and your need to buy it, so a whole lot of video editing software and careful placement of things to make everything look good makes for a great trailer; not exactly the most accurate trailer, but the one that will get you nonetheless. I know it sure had me when I only just watched the City Living announcement trailer a month ago after having CL for almost a year now, and the trailer definitely got me excited, even though I knew in my heart that all of this was staged to look very, very well made.

Tell me the trailer didn't excite anyone when you first saw it? The song may have also helped a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W458QnCVQik
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Tell me the trailer didn't excite anyone when you first saw it?

I know it got me... that's why I have it now... But you live and you learn lol...
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

I know it got me... that's why I have it now... But you live and you learn lol...
    Yup me to :joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

Wow, these trailers are really dating themselves! :D
  • Options

yeah, I had already commented on the ts2 trailer. I've seen it.
    Still, once more, even though something has been done before it doesn't make it right. Ts2 really shouldn't have advertised like that.
  • Options
    ]

I hadn't seen the CL trailer before. I still think it's a little better than that crowd cheer that they added in the current trailer, but it still really doesn't represent the pack very well.

...I think it's because in all of the trailers the sims shown are AWARE of their surroundings and react appropriately and that's not what happens in the game. They might be using in game animations and objects, but sims in the trailer act real and reasonably. Like for that kareoke thing, numerous people were sat and all cheered at the appropriate time. I can never get anything close to that in my game. Sims just generally don't seem aware of what is happening.