Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CL Social Media career vs. GF "Influencer" career: what's the difference?

For anyone who's gotten caught up with the latest pack reveal news, you can now achieve fame through other careers as well. Now this brings attention to the Social Media career from City Living and the new "Influencer" career coming in Get Famous. Judging by getting to know what both do, what purpose does one or the other serve that the other one cannot? Now that you can be famous even in other careers, does that mean Penny Pizzazz actually can be famous for real instead of the semblance of it? What does she do that wouldn't already be the same in this other new career, if both can be famous just the same? What will this new career bring in that is radically different from CL's Social Media career?
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Off hand, I would think the requirements would be different in order to advance. But I'll have to wait to see when November 16th arrives.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    One seems to be more fashion and beauty community oriented where you can be more of a beauty and lifestyle guru. So far from what I've gathered from the current social media career it ends up largely influenced by gaming and comedy ability
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    One seems to be more fashion and beauty community oriented. So far from what I've gathered from the current social media career it ends up largely influenced by gaming and comedy ability

Sounds like that would be the difference, but honestly it's not a radical one. You'd still be doing largely things in front of a computer or a phone. The only radical difference that can separate the two is if the influencer career utilizes some kind of Simstagram or something for their career advancement, but yet again not too big a gap.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2018
    The "internet personality" branch of the social media career strikes me more as like Jake Paul's career. I'd imagine the influencer career is going to be more like Kim Kardashian's, minus the lewd tapings.

To be honest, neither sounds very appealing to me but I'll be quiet until more information is available o:)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    One seems to be more fashion and beauty community oriented. So far from what I've gathered from the current social media career it ends up largely influenced by gaming and comedy ability

Sounds like that would be the difference, but honestly it's not a radical one. You'd still be doing largely things in front of a computer or a phone. The only radical difference that can separate the two is if the influencer career utilizes some kind of Simstagram or something for their career advancement, but yet again not too big a gap.

They might still be taking applications for Game Changers. Why don't you apply and, if worthy, you can try to get the game made your way like an influencer.
  • Options
    Cupid wrote: »
    The "internet personality" branch of the social media career strikes me more as like Jake Paul's career. I'd imagine the influencer career is going to be more like Kim Kardashian's, minus the lewd tapings.

That reminds me as well, of what if any branches this influencer career could possibly have?
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member

Well apparently you'll get to play stylist to the people around town like you could in previous expansions and you cant with the Social Media career so I wouldn't say theres no difference. You can even set trends apparently and I certainly cant wait to fix my bustedbehind townies and their ideas about cute outfits
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options

Well apparently you'll get to play stylist to the people around town like you could in previous expansions and you cant with the Social Media career so I wouldn't say theres no difference. You can even set trends apparently and I certainly cant wait to fix my bustedbehind townies and their ideas about cute outfits

But the Style Influencer career is coming into a free patch. This isn't the same career.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think there will be much of a difference to be honest, I expect there will be many similarities. Influencer to me is more like YouTube influencer
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I am very happy the gurus told us that other careers can make you famous. It adds more use to the pack!! I love when they tie in old features with new ones!
  • Options
    I want a sim to be a famous celebrity chef. I'm hoping that the studio equipment can be used if I build a small, local studio for news, sports and weather but also for filming a cooking show, a kids show and other local shows.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I want a sim to be a famous celebrity chef. I'm hoping that the studio equipment can be used if I build a small, local studio for news, sports and weather but also for filming a cooking show, a kids show and other local shows.

I'm wondering if you can even take them home! Also, why isn't working in the film business (as in filming the shows, not acting in them) not a career? Could it be?
  • Options
    Most of the careers have a split at some point. Maybe there will be a Director branch.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Most of the careers have a split at some point. Maybe there will be a Director branch.

From which new career? The Acting one? I thought active careers don't split, unless they found a way to make it work. If it uses the old GTW system, they'll HAVE to fix GTW's system too to accommodate.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Having your regular careers make you famous definitely sounds cool to me. Like, when you hit high levels you can be a famous writer, or athlete? That would be a cool way to use any fame coding.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm guessing the most basic difference is the Social Media career requires internet activity from the Sim, while the GF Influencer does not. Speaking of the Social Media career, it'll be nice that you can reflect their 'fame' with a bunch of real fans and news now, not just crazy numbers on their profile or whatever, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    There's a similarity & dissimilarity between these two careers. Both have powers to influence people to either purchase, changing their views, style, etc... but the Social Media career's platform is mainly the internet... but, the Influencer can be anywhere/everywhere. They can be on the social media too... but somehow, it can be treated as a passive persuasive career? Because they got paid to influence people?
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    xamira99 wrote: »
    There's a similarity & dissimilarity between these two careers. Both have powers to influence people to either purchase, changing their views, style, etc... but the Social Media career's platform is mainly the internet... but, the Influencer can be anywhere/everywhere. They can be on the social media too... but somehow, it can be treated as a passive persuasive career? Because they got paid to influence people?

I'd definitely like to know how that translates to an actual paying job..?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    @paradiseplanet In the real world, it comes in revenue from advertising, sponsorships, and what's basically product placement. Once someone's on the way up, there are also things like personal appearance fees for speaking at events.

I think it'll be interesting to see how they differentiate what's in this pack from the Social Media career, but all these kinds of careers and ways of getting income really do exist in the world, and have for longer than people may be aware of. Celebrities have always made money for promoting products, etc. Just now there are more ways and places to do that. I don't begrudge the Sims for including earning options that weren't prominent a decade or two ago. The more the merrier!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I'm not entirely sure how the fame/influencer work in this game... but, if it does reflect how the real world works, like what @luthienrising said... I'm guessing the Sims could get paid by their follower/non-follower Sims count that purchased (if they are selling products from ads) or bought clothes/agreed to change their styles, etc. (if they are the stylist) or just being at the club for a few hours or so. So far, there's nothing much in the Social Media career except for having lots of followers when they posted something or write something on PC and gain rewards while working on their career, and the salary has a fixed scale...
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I think the media career also has a talent - like the one they added also has songs - where as the influencers make videos, push styles, games, stars and products but doesn't have the talent like song writer or singer or anything else. You know it would be like a media person for a person, game or product versus a early, but popular Justin Beaver type of player but just on the net.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

To be honest, neither sounds very appealing to me but I'll be quiet until more information is available o:)

I think the same - social media seems like it accomodates Youtubers, people who are famous on Instagram, Vine etc etc, whereas 'influencer' in this pack probably accommodates people like Kim K, Paris Hilton and Katie Price. As for what the career actually entails in game I imagine it involves a lot of social interaction and networking, befriending existing celebrities and getting noticed.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I to am starting to believe that influencer is less of a career and more of what you become should you becomes famous without advancing through a career path. Like other have said through association of other celebrities. Remember kids can be famous this leads me to believe that kids are only famous because their parents are famous and like other famous kids once grown they don't really have to pursue a career to become more famous they just have to put themselves out their interact with fan, and make connections.

I would also like to just say that though these types of "celebrities" are not favored or thought to not be deserving of fame they are in fact famous and very prevalent in the times we live in. I know many would prefer the sims to follow older definitions of fame but times change and the sims should reflect that.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I to am starting to believe that influencer is less of a career and more of what you become should you becomes famous without advancing through a career path. Like other have said through association of other celebrities. Remember kids can be famous this leads me to believe that kids are only famous because their parents are famous and like other famous kids once grown they don't really have to pursue a career to become more famous they just have to put themselves out their interact with fan, and make connections.

I would also like to just say that though these types of "celebrities" are not favored or thought to not be deserving of fame they are in fact famous and very prevalent in the times we live in. I know many would prefer the sims to follow older definitions of fame but times change and the sims should reflect that.

I think that part of kids being famous through their parents being famous relates to how it worked in Showtime.
    Post edited by paradiseplanet on
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I think you mean late night :wink: