Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    For_Eorzea wrote: »
    Hi, I think I'd really need some kindness right now. Three desks away are seated some people who, honestly, would serve the world much better by having themselves stuffed into a locker somewhere. Why can't we deal with jocks irl like our sims do? (And I am usually a pacifist, but casual smearing over the course of four years is gradually getting on my nerves.)

Be strong, @For_Eorzea ! It stinks to have to endure those kinds of people (been there, done that :(), but they probably have their own insecurities and such to deal with. Of course, it doesn't mean it should be taken out on the others.

But always remember this:

Sie oot mahtava ja ihan huipputyyppi! :)

what does that mean in english?

It's a slightly informal way of saying: "You're awesome and an absolutely great guy!"
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    Thanks, everybody. It's good to have people like you around. I feel better. And the friend I hang out with the most in my town promised to punch them for me. I don't think she'll actually do that, but just hearing her say that helped a lot. n___n

hugs. rip distracted me.

*hugs back

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Hi, I think I'd really need some kindness right now. Three desks away are seated some people who, honestly, would serve the world much better by having themselves stuffed into a locker somewhere. Why can't we deal with jocks irl like our sims do? (And I am usually a pacifist, but casual smearing over the course of four years is gradually getting on my nerves.)

Be strong, @For_Eorzea ! It stinks to have to endure those kinds of people (been there, done that :(), but they probably have their own insecurities and such to deal with. Of course, it doesn't mean it should be taken out on the others.

But always remember this:

Sie oot mahtava ja ihan huipputyyppi! :)

what does that mean in english?

It's a slightly informal way of saying: "You're awesome and an absolutely great guy!"

thank you.i meant for telling me what it meant.
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    I know I don't have many views on my blogs, but I'm going to keep updating them anyway, because I enjoy writing them. To anyone who worries over this sort of thing - just relax and think of how much you enjoy writing them! Having people read them is a bonus, of course, but you can do things to make yourself happy without having to worry over it. Keep your chin up. <3
  • Options
    I know I don't have many views on my blogs, but I'm going to keep updating them anyway, because I enjoy writing them. To anyone who worries over this sort of thing - just relax and think of how much you enjoy writing them! Having people read them is a bonus, of course, but you can do things to make yourself happy without having to worry over it. Keep your chin up. <3

Hello, lilypadmeulin. It would seem I just found something fantastic to read.
  • Options
    So... I never knew I was this insecure. But now as I have skipped math for this morning because I felt too embarrassed to come to class without my glasses, and have spent the entire morning searching for them, I am starting to suspect I just might have issues. I find myself curled up on the floor fearing I might never be able to show my face in the math class ever again. It's ridiculous, I know, but it just happened. And it shouldn't happen to a person my age in a place like the college I go to. It's quite frightening, finding out you can't trust your emotional circuits.
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member

I will go read .. which one of yours do you like best
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @For_Eorzea you're really kind! I hope you find your glasses, but I also hope you feel better soon.

@lisabee2 i'm probably updating the zodiac legacy most recently >< I'm gonna go read Bruno and rose, and just so you know, I'm driftwoodpoet for when I comment
  • Options
    AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    So... I never knew I was this insecure. But now as I have skipped math for this morning because I felt too embarrassed to come to class without my glasses, and have spent the entire morning searching for them, I am starting to suspect I just might have issues. I find myself curled up on the floor fearing I might never be able to show my face in the math class ever again. It's ridiculous, I know, but it just happened. And it shouldn't happen to a person my age in a place like the college I go to. It's quite frightening, finding out you can't trust your emotional circuits.

Hello! This might not be the same exact thing, but I am 25 and have some severe anxiety issues that manifest most often socially. So this sort of scenario isn't uncommon for me, either. I'm always worrying about these things, and coincidentally enough have had some anxiety over my own math class lately. It's an online course, but we have to go to the campus to take our tests. Our testing room is a very small auditorium-style class room with those auditorium seats that have the tiny pull out desk. I'm plus-size, so the first test I found those seats horrible to sit in comfortably and couldn't even get the little desk to lay properly for me to write on. I was so humiliated and panicking over it that I could barely focus on my test at all, and afterward never wanted to go back.

Sorry, I'm catching myself before I ramble too much. But the point is, you're not alone! I might suggest seeing a doctor if you could, or even just a school therapist which I think might be free? My doctor prescribed me some medication to help with my anxiety, but since I can't say whether or not anxiety is your issue I'd definitely talk to a professional first. The meds do help me a bit, though, but so did therapy for the short while I went to it!
  • Options
    @For_Eorzea you're really kind! I hope you find your glasses, but I also hope you feel better soon.

@lisabee2 i'm probably updating the zodiac legacy most recently >< I'm gonna go read Bruno and rose, and just so you know, I'm driftwoodpoet for when I comment

Thanks. I'm feeling okay-ish now. Also found the glasses. Such small things can completely mess up my programming... During the day I've recovered of the overall incident, so... To infinity and the breakdowns that await beyond it! (Also, the teacher wasn't shook, he just wrote it off as something that loosely translates to sight malfunctioning. What luck he has some sense of humor.)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Hello! This might not be the same exact thing, but I am 25 and have some severe anxiety issues that manifest most often socially. So this sort of scenario isn't uncommon for me, either. I'm always worrying about these things, and coincidentally enough have had some anxiety over my own math class lately. It's an online course, but we have to go to the campus to take our tests. Our testing room is a very small auditorium-style class room with those auditorium seats that have the tiny pull out desk. I'm plus-size, so the first test I found those seats horrible to sit in comfortably and couldn't even get the little desk to lay properly for me to write on. I was so humiliated and panicking over it that I could barely focus on my test at all, and afterward never wanted to go back.

Sorry, I'm catching myself before I ramble too much. But the point is, you're not alone! I might suggest seeing a doctor if you could, or even just a school therapist which I think might be free? My doctor prescribed me some medication to help with my anxiety, but since I can't say whether or not anxiety is your issue I'd definitely talk to a professional first. The meds do help me a bit, though, but so did therapy for the short while I went to it!

Thank you for the advice and encouragement! I'll think on the things you suggested. Also I wish you well. ^_____^

I have the tendency to spend a lot of time lost in thoughts all alone, in good and bad. Let's say I have an incredible imagination, which helps with all things creative, but the flipside is that I can also imagine all kinds of scenarios of how to mess up my reputation. This all adds up to the fact it's my freshie year in college, and I have yet to get adjusted with the skyrocketed amount of work I have to do. At the time, I am waist deep in mathematics, physics and - Um - Let's just bundle it all up as "Uninspiring Number Thingies." Oh, and I should write an essay in English, but that poses no probem since I can always just link one of my older and more cringey fanfics-

No, wait. We have prewritten topics. Seven hells.

...Seriously? (Checked through the instructions as I wrote)

The topic is studying habits aka do I delay my schoolwork to the last moment possible. Now do I? *cough cough*

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to say I updated the SimLit Celebrations & Discussions thread. Pop on over and nominate your favorite writers, stories, and Sims and help us celebrate this month with thankfulness and gratitude themed stories, shorts, and Sims.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like supporting fellow simmers whether it’s leaving funny comments or advice in and out of TheSims. Has anyone who enjoys doing so ever felt like they’re coming off as annoying? Sometimes when I leave something positive or funny and they don’t respond, I think they’re probably rolling their eyes at the computer like ‘it’s him again’ lol! Then I worry that my content (machinimas stories etc) suffers from it when I don’t get any views or likes. It’s only a few days when I feel that way and It’s probably nothing but I just wanted to hear thoughts about it.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    I like supporting fellow simmers whether it’s leaving funny comments or advice in and out of TheSims. Has anyone who enjoys doing so ever felt like they’re coming off as annoying? Sometimes when I leave something positive or funny and they don’t respond, I think they’re probably rolling their eyes at the computer like ‘it’s him again’ lol! Then I worry that my content (machinimas stories etc) suffers from it when I don’t get any views or likes. It’s only a few days when I feel that way and It’s probably nothing but I just wanted to hear thoughts about it.

Hi, @Simcraft81 ! First, I think you're awesome! I always think of you as one of the kind and supportive people here--you're always reaching out, welcoming, and offering helpful words and suggestions!

I aim to do the same--always have here at the forums! And I also often feel like I come off as annoying! There've been times when I've felt the eyes rolling... "There she goes, being positive again!" or "Funny, not!" or "If you can't say something snarky, don't say anything at all!"

I've sometimes thought there was a connection with that and the readership of my stories, too.

Through the past few years, I've come to chalk up these feelings to the weirdness of Internet communications. No body language, no eyes twinkling, no genuine smiles, no resonance of voice--and emojis only go so far! <3:DB)

For the past few months, I've been focusing instead on how I feel when I'm feeling confident, and then drawing on that feeling when I feel online social anxiety. It helps!

I think part of it is that we might expect an exchange or response, and when there's nothing, we're not getting feedback to gauge the effectiveness of our communication. When you do get feedback--and I'd guess most of the feedback you get is pretty positive!--you can use that as a guide. My feedback for you is that your contributions are really valuable!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hi, @Simcraft81 ! First, I think you're awesome! I always think of you as one of the kind and supportive people here--you're always reaching out, welcoming, and offering helpful words and suggestions!

I aim to do the same--always have here at the forums! And I also often feel like I come off as annoying! There've been times when I've felt the eyes rolling... "There she goes, being positive again!" or "Funny, not!" or "If you can't say something snarky, don't say anything at all!"

I've sometimes thought there was a connection with that and the readership of my stories, too.

Through the past few years, I've come to chalk up these feelings to the weirdness of Internet communications. No body language, no eyes twinkling, no genuine smiles, no resonance of voice--and emojis only go so far! <3:DB)

For the past few months, I've been focusing instead on how I feel when I'm feeling confident, and then drawing on that feeling when I feel online social anxiety. It helps!

I think part of it is that we might expect an exchange or response, and when there's nothing, we're not getting feedback to gauge the effectiveness of our communication. When you do get feedback--and I'd guess most of the feedback you get is pretty positive!--you can use that as a guide. My feedback for you is that your contributions are really valuable!

Thank you, @CathyTea that’s very nice to hear. I don’t plan to give up on what I do at all. It’s just sometimes it’s like ‘did I say something wrong? Lol I always read over a comment I post to make sure It’s not offensive and I rarely leave a sarcastic/funny comment without saying ‘just kidding’ lol. I don’t know if you view live streams via YouTube/twitch but I remember I tried chatting and it felt like I was being ignored because the streamer was responding to the messages but skipping over mine BUT I understand that maybe it was because the streamer didn’t know me and it’s always good to stay safe and avoid trolls etc. But it’s just sometimes I feel that I’m intruding. But you have helped a lot by your feedback and thanks again!!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

thats what i do i try and use the comments i get to improve rhe story only 2 times it didn't help

sis thats what i call cathtea and jes2g were having conversations in my comments without me. lol.

but try not to stress to much, in the end t only matters if your happ with what you wrote.

because somene jes2g i think once said to me if your enjoying what you wrote that will show.

but what do i know i've been writing the same story for 2 years.

and i have read some of your story and enjoyed it. but outside of wordpress i don't leave comments.

• Options

thats what i do i try and use the comments i get to improve rhe story only 2 times it didn't help

sis thats what i call cathtea and jes2g were having conversations in my comments without me. lol.

but try not to stress to much, in the end t only matters if your happ with what you wrote.

because somene jes2g i think once said to me if your enjoying what you wrote that will show.

but what do i know i've been writing the same story for 2 years.

and i have read some of your story and enjoyed it. but outside of wordpress i don't leave comments.

@friendsfan367 thank you as well! You’ve been great at the reading circle! I really enjoy what I create and I will never stop! :)
  • Options
    GigglecakeGigglecake Posts: 114 Member
    So, I felt sad about it, but I deleted my Elise Robinson legacy because I just don't have any inspiration for it anymore. I still have my Rose Carr collaboration legacy; although, it seems like a lot of the original players of that collaboration legacy have disappeared.

I want to continue it because I still really love the characters, but I've been afraid since getting the pet expansion pack because it's an older save and I'm anxious about bugs.

Has anyone played on an older save since getting Cats and Dogs, and can you tell me how it worked out?
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Gigglecake: my pre-Cats and Dogs saves weren't really old but everything was fine aside from a night of problems thanks to outdated CC. And suddenly having cats photobomb my weddings. :p Backup every save first though! Things can always go wrong.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    I'm cross-posting from the lounge here because I think this is an important opportunity for those who care to speak up!
    ---
    Great news! SimSecrets is looking at modifying their rules, and it looks like they're exploring ways to reduce or even eliminate the online bullying that's been happening at that site for over a decade.

If you care about preventing online bullying in the Simming community, this is your chance to speak up and voice your opinion!

I've already taken the survey, so it doesn't look like I can pass on the link to you (maybe someone else can?).

If you want to take the survey, you can get it by going to SimSecret. You don't have to read the secrets to take the survey (and I suggest that you don't read the secrets--they can be upsetting to anyone who cares for others or who has the squeamish trait). The survey is in the first post.

I really hope this helps to heal one of the most toxic places in the Simming community so that it becomes a place which stops hurting Simmers!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

To be honest I sometimes feel this way if I'm binge reading someone's story. If I've been reading an hour and realize I've commented 15 times, I realize I should have slowed down and just commented on important chapters. :D

If I'm caught up on a story, I like to give feedback on nearly every chapter! I try not to ask questions on Wordpress though unless I don't get an answer, and prefer to take those to the forums.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    Karilan wrote: »

To be honest I sometimes feel this way if I'm binge reading someone's story. If I've been reading an hour and realize I've commented 15 times, I realize I should have slowed down and just commented on important chapters. :D

If I'm caught up on a story, I like to give feedback on nearly every chapter! I try not to ask questions on Wordpress though unless I don't get an answer, and prefer to take those to the forums.

As a writer, I LOVE it when bingers comment on every chapter! :) It lets me revisit a story that I might have forgotten about, and it feels so great to relive the story with a new reader! :)

• Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm cross-posting from the lounge here because I think this is an important opportunity for those who care to speak up!
    ---
    Great news! SimSecrets is looking at modifying their rules, and it looks like they're exploring ways to reduce or even eliminate the online bullying that's been happening at that site for over a decade.

If you care about preventing online bullying in the Simming community, this is your chance to speak up and voice your opinion!

I've already taken the survey, so it doesn't look like I can pass on the link to you (maybe someone else can?).

If you want to take the survey, you can get it by going to SimSecret. You don't have to read the secrets to take the survey (and I suggest that you don't read the secrets--they can be upsetting to anyone who cares for others or who has the squeamish trait). The survey is in the first post.

I really hope this helps to heal one of the most toxic places in the Simming community so that it becomes a place which stops hurting Simmers!

Honestly just seeing that website name makes me feel nauseous and anxious, so I'm not going to go there. Your survey answers can count for me, maybe?
    Karilan wrote: »

I will take all the comments I can get on everything. I don't care if Valley is 8 years old. Tell me your thoughts on it. :)
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    Upon finding out someone has been reading my stuff, I've found myself excitedly overreacting to comments and being extremely embarrassed afterwards.
  • Options
    Then I'm left wondering if I scared them away... :s