Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The teens are ruining the game

Hey guys,

I was playing with this great family and was having a lot of fun. There were the parents, the big sister (my first toddler ^^) turned into a child and her little sister (also a toddler now).

Then the eldest child grew up into a teen and the magic was gone the moment she blew out the candles. She looks so old now, it's game breaking.

How do you guys do?

I can't play with families past teens. I hate the teens. I really do. They absolutely need to be revamped.

I find the teens even worse than the used-to-be toddler absence... And that's saying... Because I really missed toddlers.....

Comments

• Options
    LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    I don't find it that bad overall - I like the gameplay of the life stage - but yeah, sometimes I can't even tell the difference between teens and young adults. Which is saying something!

I doubt this will be changed, though, other than maybe adding a pre-teen life stage. It's easier to fill in a gap than make such a huge overhaul of a facet of the game...
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2017
    They need unique gameplay but I got used to them being the same height as adults. Most of my favorite families have teens. I love watching them take care of their little siblings.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Agreed on the looking old thing & on dressing them differently as others have suggested. I really think some teens look more teensy than others though, it really depends on their facial structures, what they're wearing, etc. But regardless of that, I wish they would've made them just a tat shorter and skinnier because if I don't hover over other sims to check whether they're YAs or teens, I really can't see much of a difference (and I'm not one of those people who deletes all the premades and replaces them as that's too much work lol :D)
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    The thing I do is dress teens appropriately. Sundresses and nonrevealing attire for girls and sneakers, jeans and T-Shirts for boys. No heavy makeup either. I also choose more ponytails and kid like hairstyles for them. It gives more separation between them and adults.

That is also what I do , so I can tell which one is which in My game, :)
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    It bothers me as well.
    I don't think dressing them 'as teens' is a good solution. Because, some of my sims have a certain style, they should still look like teens no matter what they wear.
    I tend to turn a blind eye to it because the amount of work to fix teens would be immense, but I'm hoping they'll do it for a generations EP? Still, that would be a few years down the line.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2017
    Lisey wrote: »
    I don't find it that bad overall - I like the gameplay of the life stage - but yeah, sometimes I can't even tell the difference between teens and young adults. Which is saying something!

I doubt this will be changed, though, other than maybe adding a pre-teen life stage. It's easier to fill in a gap than make such a huge overhaul of a facet of the game...
    Teens are barely any different, not just by height, but by how they interact/behave in live mode... argh? I can hardly call them teens. Filling the gap would just leave teens and barebow... and how can you trust EA not to do pre-teens alike from teens, apart from their height?

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Teens being the same height as adults also has some perks as regards gameplay. It's the first time in the series I can actually play a teen pregnancy without a gazillion mods (I just need one and we all know which one it is) and a bunch of CC pregnancy outfits for teens (since they can wear the same clothes as adults and all of them have pregnancy morphs).
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited February 2017
    I gradually age my teens. By that I mean when they first age up I dress them in teenish/pre teen like clothing, with skirts, leggings and a tee. When they get about half way through the lifestage I might give them jeans and add a bit of makeup, maybe a more daring hairstyle. Then by the time they are nearing the end of the lifestage I then begin to dress them according to their storyline and personality.

The teens being the same height as the adult doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others, my and all of my siblings were taller than our mum by age 12. For me the issue isn't with the height, it's the lack of unique clothing options and interactions.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited February 2017
    They're not game breaking for me but I do agree they need more Teen Only Interactions & Stuff. They really need a Teen Stuff pack with more teen-centric hair styles/deco/clothing and then patch in some ten specific game interactions or even a couple of Teen Only Aspirations. Then maybe add Prom and Graduation in a Generations pack. At this point I doubt they'll make them smaller (nor do I really think they need to be) but they can still tweak them to make them more believable.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't even play them. I can not tell them apart at all. I have a young adult I gave to Malcolm as his wife since everyone in his family is dead. So, I gave him a baby sister/child and a wife (non played Sims) and I saw her in the game yesterday at a restaurant (adult) and darn I thought she was a teen. She looks so young. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    The thing I do is dress teens appropriately. Sundresses and nonrevealing attire for girls and sneakers, jeans and T-Shirts for boys. No heavy makeup either. I also choose more ponytails and kid like hairstyles for them. It gives more separation between them and adults.

I do the same. Sometimes I even dress them rather outrageously, since many teens use this time in their life trying to express themselves or just trying to find out who they are. Once they age up to YA, I change their clothing to something a bit more conventional.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TS4 has the best teens. I was already taller than both of my parents by the time I was 14, and many teens are the same way.
  • Options
    Cristal_SwanCristal_Swan Posts: 234 Member
    I think they should add in an Early Teen life stage (13/14-16) where they can go through the puberty change, and then they could change the title of our current teens to Late Teen (17/18-19). And give the Late Teens some distinct characteristics of their own that Late Teens would typically go through. I think that would be a good solution.
  • Options
    zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    I try to make them less adult-like by giving them teen-esque attributes via clothing and makeup choice (if I put makeup on them at all.) If you use cc, there is content out there like skin overlays (that are a bit dewy or rosy) and skin details (I'm fairly sure I've come across acne and what not on tumblr) to give them at least the appearance of looking slightly more adolescent. Also with the addition of braces in the teeth section, I do think EA is aware that one has to create the illusion of teens in their own game.

I do agree with you that it's slightly disturbing that they are the same height and more or less have the same interactions as adults. I think it's quite easy to see that the devs either ran out of time prior to animating a teen model and/or they were just straight up lazy about it. I know that EA sent out a survey awhile ago about the possible addition of pre-teens but I wouldn't put any eggs in that basket.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Hey guys,

I was playing with this great family and was having a lot of fun. There were the parents, the big sister (my first toddler ^^) turned into a child and her little sister (also a toddler now).

Then the eldest child grew up into a teen and the magic was gone the moment she blew out the candles. She looks so old now, it's game breaking.

How do you guys do?

I can't play with families past teens. I hate the teens. I really do. They absolutely need to be revamped.

I find the teens even worse than the used-to-be toddler absence... And that's saying... Because I really missed toddlers.....

I am opposite. I simply love the teens. They sometimes are a bit too skinny for my taste, but I can easily change their bodies in CAS. What I do? I make them move out on their own, if I think it's nice. Some of them move to a university I have downloaded. Some of the teens I have at the moment are my orphan kids growing up. They are staying at the orphanage for a while, because they are such good friends with the other kids. I don't think the height is "disturbing". My own kids have been as tall as their parents from around the age of 14, so to me it looks ok.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @JoAnne65
    But I truly like my teens, and I'd rather have pre-teens to fill the 10-14 yo stage. I would be sad if they change the teens' height instead because I really like them as they are.

I don't recall them being all that better in behavior in TS2 either. They had the acne which I would like to see return, but that's pretty much all I miss from their TS2 version.