Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 UC liceases used up?

CreosoteCreosote Posts: 17 Member
EA help chat is worthless. I've been sitting here for over an hour with the EA live chat support tab open.

I've had to uninstall-reinstall my game a few times, but the..licease never reset. Meaning that when I started it up it said I'd reached my limit and NOTHING I did would actually let me play the game. I had to go back to old disks, but now I'm missing mansion and gardens and Free time. I guess I could just buy the disks but what ever I want to be able to play my game.

Any idea what a fix for this is? Or should I just stop using my origin account because it's obvious they don't care about people who prefer the older games?

I already got locked out of my University Life, Night Life, and Show Time EPs on sims 3 because I refuse to update past 1.6.7 because that the most recent patch breaks everything. Can't even have sims 4 installed on the same computer as my sims 3 disks.

Comments

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Is the chat loaded up properly or not? If not, try a different browser. If it is, you've just hit a peak time and will need to be patient or try again later.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Have you cleaned the Registry files? There are programs which make sure all the bits are removed when uninstalling a game. I know TS2 leaves junk behind.

I would still contact CS and get them to help, if they can. I used the Call Back option when I couldn't connect to the chat.
  • Options
    @Rflong7 I've had the problem on two different computers- uninstalled the UC on one and put it on a windows 7 machine that I had just downloaded origin on . I'll probably end up trying the call back thing then. This is ridiculous, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to put these limits on games in the first place.

@Seera1024 It never works for me, haven't gotten a hold of a EA representative with the Online Chat since Sims 4 was released. Always ended up having to solve the problem myself. And who says I'm not patient? By the time I closed out of the tab this time 2 hours had passed.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I've read that ad-blocks can interfere with the chat- which was probably my problem.

I know how you feel. I tried for hours and days to get them to live chat. :(
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @Creosote The problem with The Sims 2 UC is that the game still includes SecuROM and the activation limits. You can deauthorize it but you'll have to contact EA to get a new code if you can't remove the activations. On the plus side, you don't have to deal with Origin sign-in like in The Sims 3 1.69, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    @WinMacsims3 I don't have to deal with origin like sign ins for sims 3 anyway because I refuse to update beyond 1.6.7. 1.6.9 and above just aren't a thing- I even still have the master patch file for 1.6.7 saved on a flash drive. My sims 3 just doesn't use origin. I tried contacting EA but even when I did get through to an advisor they didn't answer me at all. I saw no responses. So I typed out my problem, what I wanted and which email address my origin account is tied to and left the chat.

I'm just going to have to rebuy Mansion and Garden and Free Time. Same with Late night, Show time, University life and the other eps I was stupid enough to buy on Origin instead of picking up at waltmart or game stop.

This may be it actually I'm very tempted just to remove sim city 2013 and sims 4. Which are the only origin required games I still play. Which is kind of horrible considering how much money I've thrown into my Origin account, but what ever over the years I've spent more on things that I haven't used nearly as long. It's my own fault for buying digital only copies instead of hard disks. (My sims 3 base game is from 2009 so it's before all of that Origin required BS)

At least I learned a lesson, never buy anything that requires DMR or doesn't give you a physical disk to hold on to.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Creosote wrote: »
    @WinMacsims3 I don't have to deal with origin like sign ins for sims 3 anyway because I refuse to update beyond 1.6.7. 1.6.9 and above just aren't a thing- I even still have the master patch file for 1.6.7 saved on a flash drive. My sims 3 just doesn't use origin. I tried contacting EA but even when I did get through to an advisor they didn't answer me at all. I saw no responses. So I typed out my problem, what I wanted and which email address my origin account is tied to and left the chat.

I'm just going to have to rebuy Mansion and Garden and Free Time. Same with Late night, Show time, University life and the other eps I was plum enough to buy on Origin instead of picking up at waltmart or game stop.

This may be it actually I'm very tempted just to remove sim city 2013 and sims 4. Which are the only origin required games I still play. Which is kind of horrible considering how much money I've thrown into my Origin account, but what ever over the years I've spent more on things that I haven't used nearly as long. It's my own fault for buying digital only copies instead of hard disks. (My sims 3 base game is from 2009 so it's before all of that Origin required plum)

At least I learned a lesson, never buy anything that requires DMR or doesn't give you a physical disk to hold on to.

All games these days have some form of DRM. Even Sims 1 and early Sims 2 EP's have a form of DRM. Not invasive to the legit user at all, but still DRM.

The very first games made you solve puzzles with the answers found in the manuals. So if you wanted to buy second hand, you had to have the manual. This was before the internet so looking it up on google would not work at that time. Nowadays that wouldn't work since people would just post the manual online.

Edit to add: every sims 2 game from H&M Stuff and on has Securom on it. So even going to the disc version you will not escape the license issues.
  • Options
    I know how to remove securom. and the DRM I am talking about is the nasty kind that requires a third person program, like Origin or steam and I know. you're not saying anything thats new to me. (also if you don't activate your sims 2 games online they have no way of knowing how many times it's been installed, I bought Some of my sims 2 disks second hand so I have no way of knowing how many times those disks and codes have been used. I have NEVER had a problem with my used games)

and not....really? Gog.com supplies games that don't even have securom in some cases. Enough people are voting with their wallets that a few publishers are realizing "hey if we do this then they just won't buy our stuff"

Trust me I've been tech savy for over a decade I do know a bit of what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    I know how to remove securom. and the DRM I am talking about is the nasty kind that requires a third person program, like Origin or steam and I know. you're not saying anything thats new to me. (also if you don't activate your sims 2 games online they have no way of knowing how many times it's been installed, I bought Some of my sims 2 disks second hand so I have no way of knowing how many times those disks and codes have been used. I have NEVER had a problem with my used games)

and not....really? Gog.com supplies games that don't even have securom in some cases. Enough people are voting with their wallets that a few publishers are realizing "hey if we do this then they just won't buy our stuff"

Trust me I've been tech savy for over a decade I do know a bit of what I'm talking about.

GoG gets permission from the game's publisher to remove the DRM, all games on GoG are DRM free I believe.. So the only games on there are the ones the game's publishers think aren't going to bring in any money anyway - might as well remove the DRM at that point.

But all games that currently stand to make money are not likely to be found on GoG and will have some form of DRM.

Removing Securom only works if you never load up a game that comes with it ever again, I also know how to remove it.

Yea, some DRM methods do not limit installations as long as you have a key.

I'm also tech savvy and have been for over a decade. Your previous posts did not give any indication of how tech savvy you were, so I assumed the average Simmer's level of tech savvy.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I'm just going to have to rebuy Mansion and Garden and Free Time. Same with Late night, Show time, University life and the other eps I was plum enough to buy on Origin instead of picking up at waltmart or game stop.

This may be it actually I'm very tempted just to remove sim city 2013 and sims 4. Which are the only origin required games I still play. Which is kind of horrible considering how much money I've thrown into my Origin account, but what ever over the years I've spent more on things that I haven't used nearly as long. It's my own fault for buying digital only copies instead of hard disks. (My sims 3 base game is from 2009 so it's before all of that Origin required plum)

All games these days have some form of DRM. Even Sims 1 and early Sims 2 EP's have a form of DRM. Not invasive to the legit user at all, but still DRM.

The very first games made you solve puzzles with the answers found in the manuals. So if you wanted to buy second hand, you had to have the manual. This was before the internet so looking it up on google would not work at that time. Nowadays that wouldn't work since people would just post the manual online.

Edit to add: every sims 2 game from H&M Stuff and on has Securom on it. So even going to the disc version you will not escape the license issues.

@Seera1024 I think you're wrong about The Sims 2 CD/DVD copies. The Sims 2 (from H&M, Bon Voyage, and Deluxe) did include SecuROM but they didn't include the DRM on the disc versions, only downloaded versions of The Sims 2 as well as The Sims 3 had it. This is not the case with Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space where the DVD versions had DRM. The Sims 3 games are DRM free except for post-2012 base games where Origin became required, TS4 also requires Origin even if you buy it on DVD.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2016
    EA help chat is worthless. I've been sitting here for over an hour with the EA live chat support tab open.

I've had to uninstall-reinstall my game a few times, but the..licease never reset. Meaning that when I started it up it said I'd reached my limit and NOTHING I did would actually let me play the game. I had to go back to old disks, but now I'm missing mansion and gardens and Free time. I guess I could just buy the disks but what ever I want to be able to play my game.

Any idea what a fix for this is? Or should I just stop using my origin account because it's obvious they don't care about people who prefer the older games?

I already got locked out of my University Life, Night Life, and Show Time EPs on sims 3 because I refuse to update past 1.6.7 because that the most recent patch breaks everything. Can't even have sims 4 installed on the same computer as my sims 3 disks.

From what I have been told there is a limit to downloading set at 5 downloads within a certain amount of time. If you hit that mark, ea will freeze the account to prevent pirating. The only way to have your account released is to contact EA. We have had issues like this in sims 3 tech too. http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

Like others have stated , when you uninstall use CCleaner to clean your computer registry before reinstalling.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    @phoebebebe13: Uh, I just have to say re: Ccleaner, if you are NOT tech savvy, do NOT use Ccleaner on your registry or you can DESTROY your computer! I'm talking from actual experience, so just do NOT do it. Only use it to clean up your temp files and cookies, and browser history. Do not let it touch your registry.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

@Seera1024 I think you're wrong about The Sims 2 CD/DVD copies. The Sims 2 (from H&M, Bon Voyage, and Deluxe) did include SecuROM but they didn't include the DRM on the disc versions, only downloaded versions of The Sims 2 as well as The Sims 3 had it. This is not the case with Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space where the DVD versions had DRM. The Sims 3 games are DRM free except for post-2012 base games where Origin became required, TS4 also requires Origin even if you buy it on DVD.

I used the disc versions on my desktop and I had Securom on it. I did not play any other games known to have Securom on that computer until after I saw that I already had it due to Bon Voyage. While H&M had it, it was never installed if you had all prior EP's due to never launching from the H&M .exe file.

I got Mass Effect years late and it was never on my old desktop. I have Spore on disc and it's still sitting wrapped in plastic, so obviously not from there. Don't own Dead Space. Sim City Societies disc version also had it, but it was installed and played on that computer AFTER I had played Bon Voyage and experienced the lovely "Please insert the original Sims 2 Bon Voyage disc" when I was using the original Sims 2 Bon Voyage disc issues that the version of Securom installed onto Bon Voyage had - thinking the legit disc was not the legit disc.

Sims 3's DRM for disc versions that didn't require Origin was the keys and I don't think they were X uses only, given the lack of posts on running out of installs for it. Which is only as effective as the player's ability to not share their keys and/or discs.
  • Options
    [@SataiDelennn

I clean my registry all the time. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-CCleaner so do many others. I have uninstalled and reinstalled games used cc cleaner to get them off my registry. If you don't know how to use it, there are instructions on the web. When you clean your registry, you have the option to save before removing anything. If there is a problem you can always go back. Its a good idea to look at what your deleting before you delete it. The sims files show up in CCleaner and will be labeled for example the sims 2 . Since op is trying to remove the sims 2 they can select just those files to remove.
  • Options

From what I have been told there is a limit to downloading set at 5 downloads within a certain amount of time. If you hit that mark, ea will freeze the account to prevent pirating. The only way to have your account released is to contact EA. We have had issues like this in sims 3 tech too.

Like others have stated , when you uninstall use CCleaner to clean your computer registry before reinstalling.

That's...not the problem I"m having. I can still access all my other games and the uninstall/reinstall took place months apart and on two different machines under the same ip.

I've given up on Origin. I'll be getting all my games on physical disks from now on. I'm just going to have to rebuy the sims 2 eps I only had because of the UC. And I DID USE CCLEANER. so it's a fault entirely on the EA/origin side.

I also said that no matter what I try I can't get one of their people to talk to me. (unless you count talking to yourself in one of their help chat rooms)

@Seera1024

Care to explain why the Witcher 3 wild hunt is on there with a DLC pass then? I highly doubt the studio behind the Witcher series considers it to be "Dead" and not a money maker. Stardew valley and Undertale also have non DMR verisons you can buy so your argument doesn't really stand up considering how popular those three games are.
  • Options

From what I have been told there is a limit to downloading set at 5 downloads within a certain amount of time. If you hit that mark, ea will freeze the account to prevent pirating. The only way to have your account released is to contact EA. We have had issues like this in sims 3 tech too.

That's...not the problem I"m having. I can still access all my other games and the uninstall/reinstall took place months apart and on two different machines under the same ip.

I've given up on Origin. I'll be getting all my games on physical disks from now on. I'm just going to have to rebuy the sims 2 eps I only had because of the UC. And I DID USE CCLEANER. so it's a fault entirely on the EA/origin side.

I also said that no matter what I try I can't get one of their people to talk to me. (unless you count talking to yourself in one of their help chat rooms)

@Seera1024

Care to explain why the Witcher 3 wild hunt is on there with a DLC pass then? I highly doubt the studio behind the Witcher series considers it to be "Dead" and not a money maker. Stardew valley and Undertale also have non DMR verisons you can buy so your argument doesn't really stand up considering how popular those three games are.

Hadn't been on Gog for a while, so wasn't aware that they had newer games on there. I had only really seen older games on there - the ones that aren't likely to bring in a ton of money. Gog probably pays more money for them than others do (for the company to risk loss of revenue due to sharing) - not necessarily tons more money, but on average probably more money for them.

But all game being sold directly by their publisher and a vast majority of all authorized sellers have DRM in them.

I do agree that DRM shouldn't be so invasive (or poorly coded) that it affects a majority of players. Poorly coded includes the chance of faulty uninstalls that don't send a message to the company that they've uninstalled and should have # of installs available increased by 1, which seems to be the case for you.
  • Options

First off this forum is for players helping other players. We don't work for EA. There is no reason to use caps and yell at us for trying to help you. Players can not fix personal accounts. Only EA can help with that.

It's possible your account is stuck somewhere and only EA can fix that. If you live in the USA request a call back and speak to a Human rather than using chat. Call backs are available Monday through Friday starting at 9am Pacific time

The sims 3. Since the new 1.69 update, you can not use download at all or you will be forced to patch 1.69 from 1.67. The only way to keep the 1.67 patch is to play all disc and have the base game disc issued before 2012 that does not require origin. If you have a base game disc issued after 2012 you will be forced to the 1.69 patch. You can also buy the whole game on steam since they are not subject to patch 1.69. You would have to uninstall the origin version of your game and replace it with the steam version. Steam has sales all the time. This way you won't have to worry about updating the sims 4 since you can not mix steam with origin.

The sims 4 and 3 update separately. You can turn off auto updates in your origin account. There are plenty of people here who play both games and manage to have sims 3 not update while updating the sims 4.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

I'm done here. I'm just repeating myself over and over again. If people were actually listening to me I may not come off as so hostile. If you'd read any of my posts you would of seen that I do have a 2009 sims 3 base game disk. You said it yourself "since the new 1.69 update you cannot use download at all or you will be forced to patch" The way that my origin works as soon as I have sims 4 and sims 3 installed on the same computer even if I turn auto updates off sims 4 refuses to patch/play until I patch sims 3 first. Which I do not want so I cannot have them installed on the same computer, and why would I buy steam anyway when I literally own the disks for most of the sims 3 content? (again with the not listening to me) I don't want EA's help. I've removed Origin and like I said previously I'm just going to rebuy hard copies of the digital only games I was stupid enough to get. The end end of story good bye.

I do not want something I paid good money for to be tied to my origin account. I have the disks I see no reason to need/use origin for sims 3. The patch does nothing except break everything to the point that sims 3 crashes to desktop the moment I hit play from the launcher even with no mods/downloads/store content installed and after running it in compatibility mode and moving my Electrionic Arts/Sims 3 folder out of my documents and letting it regenerate a new one. It is just unplayable. (please no have you tried X or Y? to get it working either. There's EPs locked on my origin account I can no longer access . If there was a way to get to it I would of figured it out by now) And fixing it is nearly impossible to remove mind you I have to completely uninstall origin and all my sims 3 games and start over from disk 1 base game. The whole process gets tedious after the fourth or sixth expansion pack.

and I KNOW this isn't my fault because my rig is strong enough to handle the witcher 3 at high and I can play Ark Survival Evolved on it. If those games both work then why shouldn't something that spanned 2009-2014, and worked perfectly well at ultra settings just before updating to the newest "patch"?

I also don't understand why people chimed in with problems I wasn't even having. What would the Ccleaner and registry have to do with two separate computers both being unable to play sims 2 over a span of a few months because I uninstalled/reinstalled the UC? I highly doubt a windows 7 machine that I have for the sole purpose of playing older games and a modern gaming rig would be having the same exact problems if it was user end error and the windows seven was a clean install os not even a month old at the time. Sims 2 had never even been on the windows 7 laptop when I installed it. There is no "problem in chair" there is a problem with how origin is set up for anti piracy and trying to control peoples gaming habits.

• Options
    All I can say is that your issues with origin can not be fixed here by players. We have no control over origin.

Some people have issues with the 1.69 patch and some don't. This can not be fixed by ranting about it but some players who are on 1.69 could possibly help with. I am not on 1.69

No one here can answer you as to why the sims 2 won't download. It's possibly an EA problem that only EA can help you fix. If you don't want to deal with origin or EA thats your choice.

EA is trying to have things work on windows 8 and 10 since microsoft is no longer really supporting windows 7 so that may be your issue. Contact EA and ask.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

no it DOES download but when ever I try to play it it says all registery uses have been used up- you know what 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it I don't care anymore no one's listening you're not listening. The problem's already been solved- rebuy everything.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

no it DOES download but when ever I try to play it it says all registery uses have been used up- you know what plum it I don't care anymore no one's listening you're not listening. The problem's already been solved- rebuy everything.

This is something we just can't help you with here. EA has to fix it. They are the only ones who can get in your account legally for privacy issues. People have had their accounts stuck for some reason or another before and they called EA to fix this issue
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Have you tried to go into your EA account to de-authorize one of your pcs? I think I had to do that before but not sure it was with any Sims game. Can't remember. Calling EA works better than live chat. Good luck I hope you get them to straighten it out. Rule of Thumb, never call a gaming company on Mon or Friday. Never go to the doctor on Friday or the hospital. Too many mistakes are made, that's a fact. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.