Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I would love to learn more about the game development! I think it would help to understand what the developers are going through.

I was typing my post up while you posted that, I'm on the same wavelength as you! :)
  • Options
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Perhaps to prevent the same situation happening, what if you set something up were simmers could submit questions regarding the topic of choice before the discussion, and then have the gurus talk / discuss that. It would be more of a closed session, but us regular folk could either watch it via twitch or the forums. Not sure what it would entail to do it though.

That's a good idea, but another issue (as Drake discussed) is people taking what the Gurus say and twisting it. But I guess there's not really a solution for that, sadly. :neutral: And that really applies to anything - a chat, a tweet, a blogpost etc.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,219 Member
    @TheGoodOldGamer - I think you are misunderstanding my usage of the word 'owed'. Maybe the word 'Entitled' works better for you.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Perhaps to prevent the same situation happening, what if you set something up were simmers could submit questions regarding the topic of choice before the discussion, and then have the gurus talk / discuss that. It would be more of a closed session, but us regular folk could either watch it via twitch or the forums. Not sure what it would entail to do it though.

That's a good idea, but another issue (as Drake discussed) is people taking what the Gurus say and twisting it. But I guess there's not really a solution for that, sadly. :neutral: And that really applies to anything - a chat, a tweet, a blogpost etc.

I see your point, but unfortunately when you are dealing with so many people you have be willing to accept a bit of that.

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @Swiftlover13 interestingly it's not really the marketing team that are the driving force behind the 'silence'. You should have a read of this...
    http://www.pwc.com/us/en/cfodirect/assets/pdf/accounting-guides/pwc-revenue-recognition-march-2009.pdf
    it's pretty enlightening!
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    VkittyVkitty Posts: 40 Member
    This is genuinely sad. We have a game that released with a multitude of content missing, then we were told by Peter Moore that "The Customers Are Too Demanding". Two years later, we still don't have an answer for this, and instead we are told off for even suggesting it.

EA really, really needs to hire a new marketing team. Clearly the people who decided to use the silence policy are completely unqualified in marketing. It is so damaging to the game in the long run. EA IS greedy, no matter how much people want to defend it (See: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats).

And @SimGuruDrake , I know that your job is difficult, but as the Community Manager you are the face of Maxis. Most comments made to you aren't directly aimed at you, but rather Maxis and EA. However, I don't want a lecture on why I'm wrong. I'd even rather silence.

It's not a policy, there is a law involved.

Maybe a write-up of it and how it affects the Maxis titled 'Why we can't answer all your questions' stickied on top would help people understand.

Anyway, I would be very interested to learn about the development of an EP from concept to release.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,230 Member
    I'm not blaming Guru drake, I know she is not allow to say anything . I just blame Ea, and people running for it . To me fo the toddler thing is this . If they do come, than they were future content. But if they do not, and we have no answer . And Sims 4 ends . Than it means , they were never meant to be future content . . And all this categorize them as future content . Would been nothing more than a shady business practice . Just keep people buying, and play sims 4.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,230 Member
    I respect the gurus , and they should get respect . But Ea why I respect them as people . I do not respect them as company.
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »
    You know, this kind of communication angers me more than anything.

We know that you can't communicate. We know why. We know that you consider this a live service. I'm not too interested in the thought process behind it though, as it is not working. Your customers are saying that it's not working. Your customers are saying to you that right now would be the time to rethink what kind of service you're providing.

Instead, no matter how many times we tell you that we're tired of waiting, we're tired of silence and we're tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, you tell us "well you just don't get it!". It's frustrating. It's frustrating, because did it not occur to the development and management team that this is not working?

On the upside, even without a solution eventually this will go away. Disgruntled customers will simply leave and while EA will have a much smaller community, it will be a more positive one. Unfortunately having felt that we mean nothing I perceive that this is the only solution that we will find to this problem.

It is very frustrating, but I do believe that it's a frustrating situation for both the players and the gurus.

As much as I don't like it, I do understand that their hands are tied here. The law regarding revenue recognition is real and they do have to operate within those guidelines. On top of that I do get @simgurudrake point here, it's not wise to talk about content that is not ready to be delivered because that can cause issues if something has to be changed for technical reason.

I do think that we are in a lose/lose situation here.

However, I do still feel that the community is owed an apology. After everything that has transpired, that's the least that can be done.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but some of you users make it impossible to enjoy being here on these forums. It sounds like segregation, but I'm starting to wish there was a section just for those of us who enjoy the game.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    It is very frustrating, but I do believe that it's a frustrating situation for both the players and the gurus.

As much as I don't like it, I do understand that their hands are tied here. The law regarding revenue recognition is real and they do have to operate within those guidelines. On top of that I do get @simgurudrake point here, it's not wise to talk about content that is not ready to be delivered because that can cause issues if something has to be changed for technical reason.

However, I do still feel that the community is owed an apology. After everything that has transpired, that's the least that can be done.

In no way am I blaming the gurus. They're bound by their job and by the law. However what I'm saying is, that if its creating such an incredibly rough situation with customers being upset to this level, maybe it's time for management to meet up and discuss what they're doing. Heck, even with the live service as it is, this wouldn't have been such a nightmare if fans wishes were acted upon, but now 2 years in, we NEED those yes/no answers, even if they can not give them.

EA wrote themselves into a courner. It's not gurus fault, but it's just a very upsetting situation with no any real way out.
  • Options

We know that you can't communicate. We know why. We know that you consider this a live service. I'm not too interested in the thought process behind it though, as it is not working. Your customers are saying that it's not working. Your customers are saying to you that right now would be the time to rethink what kind of service you're providing.

Instead, no matter how many times we tell you that we're tired of waiting, we're tired of silence and we're tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, you tell us "well you just don't get it!". It's frustrating. It's frustrating, because did it not occur to the development and management team that this is not working?

On the upside, even without a solution eventually this will go away. Disgruntled customers will simply leave and while EA will have a much smaller community, it will be a more positive one. Unfortunately having felt that we mean nothing I perceive that this is the only solution that we will find to this problem.

Such a good post @JoBass24us it is frustrating for everyone involved and I don't think that the laws surrounding revenue recognition are going to change anytime soon.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Such a good post @JoBass24us it is frustrating for everyone involved and I don't think that the laws surrounding revenue recognition are going to change anytime soon.

Yeah, I don't think they will change. Unless this law starts to really encroach upon profit margins, then maybe the lobbyists will get busy trying to change it? lol
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think they will change. Unless this law starts to really encroach upon profit margins, then maybe the lobbyists will get busy trying to change it? lol

lol, yeah well... while I'm waiting for that to happen I better go tend my herd of flying pigs. :D

• Options
    Also another thing, they're only in this courner, because they can't speak about free content and they don't know what is free and what is payed till the last minute. I'm following some games that talk about upcomming expansions full year in advance. What might be a good thing to do would actually be to send a person to give a bunch of no's and then say "but this is what we are doing" and announce 2 expansions in front. One would probably we near finished and ready for announcement and the other could be talked about in the vaguest terms (if you know that you're working on a holiday expansion for example, you could go "next one will be about holidays" without actually going to details. That way you can't exactly under-deliver).

Another suggestion would be to offer suggestion threads and actually USE the suggestions. If we had seen a suggestion thread and a year later we had seen some of the suggestions get into the game, you give a lot of customers the satisfaction of going "I suggested it! They listened! They listened!", those around them that had seen it happen would also feel better about seeing other customers being listened to.

I know that there was already a comment about too many cooks in the kitchen, but with customer relations so bad at the moment, including an object or two would most definitely not kill your vision.
  • Options
    Also another thing, they're only in this courner, because they can't speak about free content and they don't know what is free and what is payed till the last minute. I'm following some games that talk about upcomming expansions full year in advance. What might be a good thing to do would actually be to send a person to give a bunch of no's and then say "but this is what we are doing" and announce 2 expansions in front. One would probably we near finished and ready for announcement and the other could be talked about in the vaguest terms (if you know that you're working on a holiday expansion for example, you could go "next one will be about holidays" without actually going to details. That way you can't exactly under-deliver).

Another suggestion would be to offer suggestion threads and actually USE the suggestions. If we had seen a suggestion thread and a year later we had seen some of the suggestions get into the game, you give a lot of customers the satisfaction of going "I suggested it! They listened! They listened!", those around them that had seen it happen would also feel better about seeing other customers being listened to.

I know that there was already a comment about too many cooks in the kitchen, but with customer relations so bad at the moment, including an object or two would most definitely not kill your vision.

This is why I think it would be fantastic for the gurus to have chat sessions about what really goes into game development, how decisions are made, and how much time it takes to implement things in game.

Personally, although i'd like to know what they are planning, like you mentioned, ahead of time, it may not be possible with how game development works. The biggest issue with announcing packs ahead of time is that if they have to pull out some feature or gameplay item because it just didn't work it will create more problems.

Also, I could be wrong so I will ping @luthienrising, but I do believe that this law does not take effect until 2018. So other gaming companies may not have starting transitioning into the new law yet. EA being such a big company probably decided to play it safe and start this transition early.

• Options
    Also, I could be wrong so I will ping @luthienrising, but I do believe that this law does not take effect until 2018. So other gaming companies may not have starting transitioning into the new law yet. EA being such a big company probably decided to play it safe and start this transition early.

I believe that the law does not affect all content honestly. Hence why some companies are able to freely reveal their payed products.
  • Options

I believe that the law does not affect all content honestly. Hence why some companies are able to freely reveal their payed products.

I believe it mainly affects free content. Paid content is different, but TS4 is now considered to be a live service, which means that free content can be intertwined with paid content. So they may be playing safe by just doing it that way regardless of it being paid content or not.

Again, I could be wrong, if luthien is on, I hope she can clarify because she's done a bit of homework on it.

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited August 2016

They can't

I'm sure they know well in advance what's going to be free and what isn't. The issue is not that they can't talk about free content, except for the quarter it comes in, but that the free stuff is released with the paid stuff and a contract that says that they can't talk about future content. It's in their contracts. They would be fired or worse for breaking that. It's a law not a self imposed rule. There's no getting around it, and there's nobody coming out to tell us what they're working on or give us yes/no answers.

And they take up our suggestions. Sometimes they're doable and sometimes they're not. They've done it occasionally with TS3, and I'm fairly sure they do it with TS4.

• Options
    I can't help but comment on how blaringly different @Lutefisk and @HappySimmer3 posts are. I respect both of your posts.

It seems just such a big divide doesn't it? I feel a bit like one of my sims at times... bouncing from one emotion to the next trying to make sense of it all. lol. At least as a community we can say we are diverse.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top