The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 too American?

Comments

• Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    lejoninna wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    While TS4 and the previous Sim games were definitely based in American suburbia. I would exactly call TS4 too American. Get Together even introduced a mid-European Tudor style town.

thats not real europe, thats some fancy fantasy europe

The others aren't real America... trust me.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Having lived in Germany for years....it is pretty much average Southern Germany
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    @DegrassiGen what *is* American culture? Basically, everything you have (and in a sense Canadians as well) been borrowed from the lands of our ancestors which is Europe/Britain in some cases Asian countries, or Medderitian. Very few things are "original" in North America.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    While TS4 and the previous Sim games were definitely based in American suburbia. I would exactly call TS4 too American. Get Together even introduced a mid-European Tudor style town.

ive already said i know its not real america... i meant the feel of it
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I like that to be honest. It's all fantasy, based on real countries. Often combining them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member

The countryside parts of windenburg remind me of the countryside here in the uk and the buildings in windenburg too!
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ciarassims wrote: »

The countryside parts of windenburg remind me of the countryside here in the uk and the buildings in windenburg too!
    It reminds me both of York as Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Like I said, they are never really nailing it down to one particular country I think.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @DegrassiGen what *is* American culture? Basically, everything you have (and in a sense Canadians as well) been borrowed from the lands of our ancestors which is Europe/Britain in some cases Asian countries, or Medderitian. Very few things are "original" in North America.

Suburbia is very American. If you spend time in Europe or elsewhere, it's fairly easy to see how "American" the game is, which is fine. Pretending that America doesn't have its own unique cultures is weird though. Something can be influenced by others and still result in something else that's unique.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    hmmm I would like different simlish accents

British, Scottish, Bulgarian, Irish, Greek, Russian

But different accents around the States too, Like New York/New England, Southern accent.

Scottish is also British ;)

Language-wise= yes (with a different accent of c). Nationality and culture-wise= no.

Uh, Scotland is part of the UK, which makes it British. Scottish people have British passports.

There is no such thing as a British accent either - that comment displays remarkable ignorance. There is a huge variety of accents within the UK - probably more than any other country. By 'British accent' people are probably referring to the type of accent you hear on the BBC or spoken by Hugh Grant - most of us sound nothing like that. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I know it is a part of UK, don't get me wrong. Technically they could be called British, but no one really does that. Not in my exp. at least- they are referred as Scotts. I thought the comment said that Scotts are British- aka same as Brits, when they're not really. And you did not burst any bubble lol.

Do you mean like people from England are called English and people from Wales welsh?

England = English (British Passport)
    Northern Ireland = British or Irish (Both passports)
    Scotland = Scottish (British Passport)
    Wales = Welsh (British Passport)

Great Britain - The island made of England, Wales & Scotland

United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland - Great Britain and the smaller islands of England, Wales & Scotland & Northern Ireland

British Isles - The UK and the Republic of Ireland made up of Great Britain, Ireland and the smaller islands and the Isle of Mann

And? They're split into countries, that's like me coming from South Africa saying I speak South African and saying the continent whatever is Africa is basically the same thing.

I don't know if Northern Ireland is recognised as a country but England and Scotland are. Wales was annexed to England earlier and I have read that it is technically part of England but is never regarded as such and is regarded a principality with an assembly but we are not allowed to talk about political stuff here. Everyone n the UK refers to Wales as it's own place but their laws are the same as in England (but not Scotland or Northern Ireland) except their have road signs in Welsh as well as English.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hmm, don't remember where I heard this but somewhere someone said that from it's beginning, sims was likened to an American sitcom type vibe...but I do agree with your statement, it's an American game, set in daily life, with no specified era or locale, it's going to reflect the culture it was made in. Don't think it can be too American.

*Okay found it, I thought it was from LGR's video but wasn't sure, so I had to check.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsob06m9p_4&list=PLB559EA76EF91B1C8&index=76

He starts talking about it at around 7:00 and onwards.
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    As one poster already stated, the way the Police dress and things like that are decidedly 'American' and us who are native to America wouldn't notice at all while say, for someone from Ireland, that would stand out a lot. I guess that's what you're looking for OP?

As for TSX itself... well it's not set anywhere really, some fantasy simland and I prefer it that way. I'd prefer to see that illustrated in all future expansions. They can tip their hat to real life cultures but I actually prefer to think of my sims living on some other planet where Asia, France, America, etc. don't even exist.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    haneul wrote: »

Suburbia is very American. If you spend time in Europe or elsewhere, it's fairly easy to see how "American" the game is, which is fine. Pretending that America doesn't have its own unique cultures is weird though. Something can be influenced by others and still result in something else that's unique.

I live in Canada-and its just as "Suburbia" as America. Actually, places in my town have an 1800s style to it. But technically America doesn't really have a culture because like I said, almost everything in North America was borrowed from another culture. Willow Creek is based heavily on New Orleans, Lousiana which like Quebec was originally founded by the French (but Napolean was the one who founded New Orleans) Oasis Springs- maybe one of the dessert provinces. You know the Gumbo soup enjoyed by people in New Orleans? Well some of the people who created it, are called the Cajuns-and the Cajuns lived in the area of Canada known now as News Brunswick and maybe Nova Scotia as Arcadians. The British (no offense British people) forced them out of the areas and they, either by choice or by force ended up in places like Lousiana. One of Andrew Lloyd Webber's plays has a story about this.

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,653 Member
    edited July 2016
    Honestly as an "American" myself I'm not sure if I should take this forum to offense or not. This is an "American" product which means the general atmosphere to the game will be "American" despite the different cultures that has been depicted in the past. While I am all for "diversity" and the franchise exploring different cultures I feel that you cannot punish a game for being american because it is a product created in America by Americans. It would not make sense for a game such as The Sims to be dedicated to any culture except Americans ignoring it's own culture. If you hate America that bad to say it's too American for you then play a different game that caters to your interest and culture but don't punish another country because the country made a game by themselves. OH MY! And knowing people about to twist my words let me just make it clear again I have no issues with The Sims exploring more then American culture when the time comes (actually it did with Windenburg as it's European inspired, as well as Shang Simla (China), Al Simhara (Egypt), Champes Les Sims (France) and the general vacation locations in Bon Voyage) but even so don't be mad because it will have more American aspects because it's a product "Made in America".
    I don't hate America I live in America I just saw this post time and time saying Sims 4 were to American and I was wondering why so I asked the question and you really need read a post before you judge because again I am American like I said if I offended people I'm sorry I just asked a question to learn and understand I guess you can't ask a question nowadays.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I like that to be honest. It's all fantasy, based on real countries. Often combining them.
    Kind of better to be based on fantasy of real countries. I remember MTS members being really upset about WA worlds being poor imitations of real countries.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    hmmm I would like different simlish accents

British, Scottish, Bulgarian, Irish, Greek, Russian

But different accents around the States too, Like New York/New England, Southern accent.

Scottish is also British ;)

Language-wise= yes (with a different accent of c). Nationality and culture-wise= no.

Uh, Scotland is part of the UK, which makes it British. Scottish people have British passports.

There is no such thing as a British accent either - that comment displays remarkable ignorance. There is a huge variety of accents within the UK - probably more than any other country. By 'British accent' people are probably referring to the type of accent you hear on the BBC or spoken by Hugh Grant - most of us sound nothing like that. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I know it is a part of UK, don't get me wrong. Technically they could be called British, but no one really does that. Not in my exp. at least- they are referred as Scotts. I thought the comment said that Scotts are British- aka same as Brits, when they're not really. And you did not burst any bubble lol.

Do you mean like people from England are called English and people from Wales welsh?

England = English (British Passport)
    Northern Ireland = British or Irish (Both passports)
    Scotland = Scottish (British Passport)
    Wales = Welsh (British Passport)

Great Britain - The island made of England, Wales & Scotland

United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland - Great Britain and the smaller islands of England, Wales & Scotland & Northern Ireland

British Isles - The UK and the Republic of Ireland made up of Great Britain, Ireland and the smaller islands and the Isle of Mann

And? They're split into countries, that's like me coming from South Africa saying I speak South African and saying the continent whatever is Africa is basically the same thing.

I don't know if Northern Ireland is recognised as a country but England and Scotland are. Wales was annexed to England earlier and I have read that it is technically part of England but is never regarded as such and is regarded a principality with an assembly but we are not allowed to talk about political stuff here. Everyone n the UK refers to Wales as it's own place but their laws are the same as in England (but not Scotland or Northern Ireland) except their have road signs in Welsh as well as English.

According to google, "The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country. The Welsh Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right." It's, it's own country.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Ok lets throw this in.

According to Wikipedia the most common second names in USA are Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown and Jones which are names to unusual in the UK. Jones being Welsh and Johnson can also be Scandinavian.

In The Sims the most common second names are Goth, Newbie, Pleasant, Landgrab and Crumplebottom.

How many people do you know with those names?

Neighbourhoods and worlds tend to have fairy-tale names like Pleasant View, Sunset Valley, Oasis Springs or daft names like Strangetown and the only realistic ones, other than WA destinations are Bridgeport and Windenburg.

Other things are all Simified such as Sims University or Simhenge being a play on Stonehenge from England. The presence of Simhenge overrides the American theme of Sunset Valley.

The only real worlds based on any actual American places are Bella Donna Cove in TS2 AL based on San Francisco and TS3's Store world of Roaring Heights based on Miami yet these places are exceptions anyway as mot American places are like neither.

The average American town, given that it is at least 200 or more years old would be little different to a UK town.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Ok lets throw this in.

According to Wikipedia the most common second names in USA are Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown and Jones which are names to unusual in the UK. Jones being Welsh and Johnson can also be Scandinavian.

In The Sims the most common second names are Goth, Newbie, Pleasant, Landgrab and Crumplebottom.

Not the sims names but the according to Wikipedia names quite a few actually.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Ok lets throw this in.

I meant the Sim names lol

I really hope to meet someone with the name 'Crumplebottom' one day ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    spice3spice3 Posts: 9 New Member

I live in Canada-and its just as "Suburbia" as America. Actually, places in my town have an 1800s style to it. But technically America doesn't really have a culture because like I said, almost everything in North America was borrowed from another culture. Willow Creek is based heavily on New Orleans, Lousiana which like Quebec was originally founded by the French (but Napolean was the one who founded New Orleans) Oasis Springs- maybe one of the dessert provinces. You know the Gumbo soup enjoyed by people in New Orleans? Well some of the people who created it, are called the Cajuns-and the Cajuns lived in the area of Canada known now as News Brunswick and maybe Nova Scotia as Arcadians. The British (no offense British people) forced them out of the areas and they, either by choice or by force ended up in places like Lousiana. One of Andrew Lloyd Webber's plays has a story about this.

• Options
    Ok lets throw this in.

Oooh right, I get you now lol
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    La Nouvelle-Orléans (New Orleans) was founded May 7, 1718, by the French Mississippi Company, under the direction of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, on land inhabited by the Chitimacha.
  • Options
    the Native Americans was already here.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member

I understand that, but the US absolutely has a culture. Canada is just incredibly similar and if you trace things back, you're going to find foreign/outside influences all the way back to the beginning of time. The Cajuns were influenced by other people who were influenced by other people... Anyway, I lived in Asia for nearly a decade, despite being American, and recognize the game as decidedly America because its neighborhoods are absolutely nothing like typical Korean/Japanese neighborhoods but instead resemble American life. The point is that the game represents daily life for Americans, even if it's idealized, way more than it represents daily life for its customers in other places. And despite American culture being heavily influenced by cultures in other places, people from those other places also recognize that the look of the game is foreign because American culture is different from theirs.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Very definitely American, but it is all just a mashup of stuff really and I reckon I find that part of the game has some charm.

They did pretty good with Widenburg as well, IMO. I honestly couldn't believe it when I saw the Shrieking Llama pub - so close to a lot of the pubs in rural England. The also got close to that Mediterranean party vibe with locations like The Bluffs, etc.

They could have easily done the cliched London stuff, but I feel they gave a nod to our bit of England.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Ok lets throw this in.

Oooh right, I get you now lol

Well I typed Crumplebottom into Wikipedia, three pages came up, all Sims related.

Tried Google, all Sims related and into Google images, all Sims related.

So I can conclude that there are not many famous people with that name outside of The Sims ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top