Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeBunny101AwesomeBunny101 Posts: 14 New Member
    Is there another job that 1st civilisation sims can do if the teen jobs for all doesn't work other than tips?
  • Options
    CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    Is there another job that 1st civilisation sims can do if the teen jobs for all doesn't work other than tips?
    Not an in-game career, no, but you can still sell collectibles, paintings, woodwork and books.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    @Zoey95 That depends on how strictly you want to follow the rules. According to the rules, you would have to go with only the aspirations allowed for the Prehistoric Era, even though you know you will soon change Era. But, there's no one to stop you if you want to bend the rules a bit. They are more like guidelines, anyway :)
    I decided to follow the rules :smile: I'd like to stick to them as close as possible, for the challenge and giving you feedback. Plus no one had received the Angling Ace aspiration. It didn't help because no one has rolled that aspiration still. I am contemplating this modified approach for aspirations: If an aspiration has been completed and three different sims already have that (teen/adult) aspiration, then I will not add that aspiration to the randomizer the next time I use it. I'll play that by ear and offer feedback as I go through.

I committed a huge misstep in my challenge :( I've had Sims 4 for about a year, but I've not played it all that much until this challenge. I had never seen the Grotto. I didn't have a clue you could eliminate categories in CAS/plan an outfit LOL I also assumed when you downloaded a single sim from the gallery, it was similar to Sims 3... turns out I was really wrong. I picked Gen 1's mate off the gallery and proceeded to change her clothes, aspiration, traits, etc. I placed her with another household then added her to my HC household to avoid the adding money issue. It was over a sim day after adding her and she was already pregnant with the next Gen before I realized that a) her previous traits were causing bad moodlets, b) she had a career and c) she had two maxed out skills (charisma & comedy) and well as being advanced in a number of other modern skills. I sat back and yelled, "Plum, plum, plum!" at my computer before coming up with a solution. She quit her job and she cannot contribute to earning any points for the challenge. She can cook, clean, entertain guests, have nooboos, etc. Lesson learned *sigh*

I made it through the Prehistoric Era in game-play (I'm behind in posting chapters) and with all 10 points *tosses confetti* I found earning the point doable but not super easy (as in you can complete them all in a handful of sim days). It took just over seven sim weeks to achieve everything I needed before I brought in a mate to bear the next generation. My sims are on the lot that normally hosts Oasis Park. I selected that lot because it would give me the most options for shooting desert screenshots without "civilization" in the background. Now that I've played through an era, I think it did give me more opportunity to dig for artifacts. Yet, I haven't completed a single collection so far. So, I'm not sure it's an unfair advantage.

I have found more historic CC to go with the new changes. I love the clay grill oven on this site. I wish I could find a stove that I like. If anyone does, give me a shout out. I found some great sink and fridge options. I'm using the More Logical Cooking Mod. It doesn't work for the grill, but I'm compensating by acting as if I need 8 of each item. I don't want them having it too easy LOL I'm still having loads of fun with this challenge/story and not the least bit bored. In fact, I'm completely neglecting my Sims 3 challenges now LOL
  • Options
    historicalsimslifehistoricalsimslife Posts: 7 New Member
    I just wanted to mention that if anyone here plays this challenge without the Outdoor Retreat and so can't use tents for the sims to sleep in in the prehistoric age I made this kind of sleeping underlay / sleeping bag object which works as a real bed and which looks like it's made from fur and leather. It's not as high as the beds but near the ground so it should look authentic too. I can't post pictures or links here since I'm a new member but you can find it on my blog at historicalsimslife.blogspot
  • Options
    I just wanted to mention that if anyone here plays this challenge without the Outdoor Retreat and so can't use tents for the sims to sleep in in the prehistoric age I made this kind of sleeping underlay / sleeping bag object which works as a real bed and which looks like it's made from fur and leather. It's not as high as the beds but near the ground so it should look authentic too. I can't post pictures or links here since I'm a new member but you can find it on my blog at historicalsimslife.blogspot

@historicalsimslife I have visited your website a number of times. It is very helpful!

I have created an Early Civilization "city" park. I wanted a park for gatherings, skill building, screenshots etc. that fit into the era. It has a place for woodworking, fishing, gardening, weddings and so forth. After I play test it in game and resolve any issues, I'll upload the CC Free version as well as the version with 4 pieces of CC to the gallery. I'll give everyone a heads up and link when I do that. I hope everyone is still enjoying their challenge as much as I am :smiley:
  • Options
    NicknellFamilyNicknellFamily Posts: 57 Member
    Hi everyone!

It took two days but I finished reading through the entire discussion. What a great group of simmers here!

I just started the challenge and I am having a lot fun with it.

I have a question about the scoring for the challenge.

If a goal is achieved more than once, do we earn points each time it is achieved or just for the first occurrence?
    Thank you all for helping me to "Own the Store"! It was a great adventure.
  • Options
    If a goal is achieved more than once, do we earn points each time it is achieved or just for the first occurrence?
    Only for the first occurrence.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    Lydiaa88Lydiaa88 Posts: 173 Member
    @Cloudseeker

Due to yet -another- round of computer issues. I am just going to start completely over..
  • Options
    @Lydiaa88 Sorry to hear that, computer issues are never fun. You can always just jump straight into Early Civ or Middle Ages (or maybe even Old West) if you are getting a bit tired of the Prehistoric Times by this point :) Just create a family of two parents and one child, and approximate an appropriate amount of money to start with in whatever Era you choose.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    I had fun with it even with keeping track of the money :) I want to start over completely. No burden what so ever :)

The first playthrough has been discontinued and it will be brought back shortly. I am about to go record TONS of CAS and Builds because I am going to make 3 different families in the prehistoric era.
  • Options
  • Options
    AlannahGreenAlannahGreen Posts: 164 Member
    I don't know if you've answered this before anywhere but when will the challenge be out of beta and fully complete?
  • Options
    I don't know if you've answered this before anywhere but when will the challenge be out of beta and fully complete?
    That depends entirely on the input I receive from you guys, the players. The challenge is technically "complete", in that it is fully playable from start to finish. The reason it is in beta is because I need to fine tune the rules using player input. Things like when different objects should be allowed, how difficult the goals should be, that sort of stuff. When I feel that all Eras have been tested and balanced enough, I'll proclaim the challenge to be out of beta and complete (though I'll continue to keep it updated after that, of course).
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    LuxanaLuxana Posts: 42 Member
    This challenge sounds super fun! I'm such a history fan (always have been), to adjust your home every few generations seems to be really challenging but also very intriguing. I will probably have some research to do on the Eras to brush up my knowledge, but the rules are pretty helpful already!
    Thank you for sharing and creating this (:
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Luxana wrote: »
    This challenge sounds super fun! I'm such a history fan (always have been), to adjust your home every few generations seems to be really challenging but also very intriguing. I will probably have some research to do on the Eras to brush up my knowledge, but the rules are pretty helpful already!
    Thank you for sharing and creating this (:

You can always play it as an alternate reality so your eras don't have to be perfect - I'm making weird combo eras so I can utilize more CC and not feel like my lots are barren or lacking (also, I'd mix them up anyway b/c it's just more fun for me that way hehehe)
  • Options
    Has anyone had issues using the notebook mod to write with? I've had my writer start a book several times, but after he takes a break I return to the notebook only to find no option available for continuing the book :( I'm about to break down and put a computer in a locked room...
  • Options
    @Zoey95 I can't recall experiencing that problem myself, but go ahead and use a computer if the problems are getting too annoying.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    AlannahGreenAlannahGreen Posts: 164 Member
    @Zoey95 I have my own problem with the book: I can't even start to write a book using the notebook. I had to get a computer :/
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @Zoey95 I can't recall experiencing that problem myself, but go ahead and use a computer if the problems are getting too annoying.
    @Zoey95 I have my own problem with the book: I can't even start to write a book using the notebook. I had to get a computer :/

@AlannahGreen , I couldn't get the option to write a book if it was in the sim's inventory, but if I placed it on a desk, I could. But so far I haven't been able to save progress on writing a book.

@Cloudseeker Thanks, I'm going to give it another try or two, but if I need to I'll resort to a computer. They spent so much on their Early Civilization house, they'll have to save money for one LOL

I finally uploaded my Early Civilization "Market" Park. Forum/picture LINK. And gallery LINK
    Post edited by Zoey95 on
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Hmmm... never tried writing a book, I just have my sim practice writing in the notebook. Never had any issues except if you cancel the interaction the sim resets but, nothing really major...
  • Options
    Hmmm... never tried writing a book, I just have my sim practice writing in the notebook. Never had any issues except if you cancel the interaction the sim resets but, nothing really major...

I haven't noticed any issues with practice writing, but when I've had my sim try to write a poetry book the progress of the book never saves. I'm trying to get every point so I need ten books of best seller quality. I'll have him try another genre and see if that helps.
  • Options
    @Zoey95 I took a look at the mod page on ModTheSims, and one person found that if you just have a computer somewhere on the lot (you don't have to use it, it just needs to be there), the book progress will be saved. You could try that, just put a computer in an inaccessible basement or something :)
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    @Zoey95 I took a look at the mod page on ModTheSims, and one person found that if you just have a computer somewhere on the lot (you don't have to use it, it just needs to be there), the book progress will be saved. You could try that, just put a computer in an inaccessible basement or something :)

@Cloudseeker Oh my goodness, thank you for that info!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @Cloudseeker I gave it a try - placing a computer in the basement - for me, I can start a book with the notebook, if it's placed in a desk. As long as I don't take a break, I can complete the book. But when I return to the notebook to work on an unfinished book, the "resume" option is not available :( But when I click on the computer, I can resume writing any of the books he started and I thought had vanished LOL So I'll keep the notebook in the main house to practice writing and start books, but I'll place the computer in a locked room for completing books. There might be something in my game causing the issue *shrugs* It's not a game breaker, I just have to work around it :wink:

ETA: Okay, better yet. I clicked on the computer to resume writing and my sim walked to the notebook to continue the book. It never occurred to me to try that :open_mouth:
    Post edited by Zoey95 on
  • Options
    @Zoey95 Well then. That's amusingly odd, but hey, if it works :)
    34in38k.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top