Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What age span do you have your sims set to?

LexCee86LexCee86 Posts: 79 New Member
I like to play with aging off so my main player doesn't age until I am ready, but I also want to be able for my babies or animals to Age up. Is this possible? How do you all have your age set?

I'm thinking I would use a chest and age up those I want to age up. I want my parents to be young awhile before entering adult hood or elderly And maybe enjoy child and teen years longer until I am ready for the leave.

Comments

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    You can use a birthday cake to age up your household members when you're ready.

I have my lifespan set to 120 days.
  • Options
    What about the animals? So do you let your sims did naturally? I don't want them to die like ever!!!
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I'm currently playing around with how I feel having mine set to normal, with all ages maxed out in days but babies (which I keep at 3 days, because it's a short part of real life, anyway). I don't know what that puts the max number of days at, but it isn't too long. However, I also play with Twallan's Relativity, and play each day at half the speed that it normally runs at. I feel like that's a good mixture right now. Longer days makes me feel like my sim has been alive for awhile. Gives them time to experience things. But their overall life span isn't too long, so I don't have the problem I do with long or epic life spans where I feel like my sims live far too long and I end up getting bored with them before I can establish multiple generations and such.

As for your question, when you're ready to age them up, go to buy mode under outdoors and buy the birthday cake.

You can throw birthday parties any time and whether your sim is "ready" to age up or not, as long as they blow out the candles on the birthday cake, they'll advance to the next life stage.

Alternatively, you can do the following (and this would be beneficial to age up your pets when your aging is turned off):

Hit Ctrl+shift+c and the command window will open up in-game in the upper left hand corner of your screen, type in the following:

testingcheatsenabled true

And hit enter. Once you've done that, shift+left click the sim or pet you'd like to age up, and select "trigger age transition."
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Aging off, except when a non controlled townie is pregnant (Claire and Justine at the beginning of Sunset on a brand new save), I leave aging on until the babies are kids then shut it off. I age up my Sims kids with cake.

I really want to try a town with again set to normal, but I think it would depress me to see the Goths dying, then Altos and everyone else slowly dying, too much of that is happening in RL.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have all life spans set as high as they'll go, but I almost always play with aging off. I'm like you, I don't want my sims to age up before I'm ready for them to. I do usually age them up eventually with the cake or with cheats, but for some reason playing with aging on makes me anxious. Like I focus too much on trying to make sure that my sim does this or that before they hit their next life stage.

I don't like for my sims to die of old age. Sometimes I'll keep playing through accidental deaths like fire or electrocution, but I don't know if I've ever had any of my sims die of old age. When my sims become elders I usually move them off to a little cottage somewhere in the neighborhood or something.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    I have mine customized, which totals to about 128 sim days.
    Babies- 4 days
    Toddlers- 10 days
    Children- 12 days
    Teens- 21 days
    Young adults- 33 days
    Adults- 30 days
    Elders- 18 days
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Lately I've been playing with a ~253 day lifespan using a customized 'Long' lifespan setting.

baby - 3
    toddler - 7 (but I usually age them up much earlier)
    child - 14
    teen - 21
    YA/A - maxed to 90
    elder - 28

Sometimes I age with the birthday cake. More often I use MasterController>Intermediate>Trigger Age Transition. I keep 'main' sims in the game young with either the fountain of youth elixir or ambrosia. Every once in a while I'll use life fruit to modify a sim's age in-game if I want more time before they age transition.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Baby: 2 days (but I mostly let age them up inmediately, i have them maybe just to take a few screenshots for a story, that's everything)
    Toddler: 8 days
    Child: 9 days
    Teen: 9 days
    Young adult: 33 days
    adult: 30 days
    elder: 40 days
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks a mili.

I was playing with Relativity as well and I do appreciate more time in a sim day to do things versus getting them up two and three hours early just to get normal tasks done and out the door to start their day.

Wow I thought I posted this earlier In the am: but I too get consumed in making sure they fulfill very little thing when I don't have aging disabled. When disabled I can just play and hope they don't die accidentally which is much rather happen then flat out knowing.

40 days for elders?!? Wow. Are they fun for you to play with? If so why?
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I also use Relativity set for days to take as close to twice as long to complete as possible (the setting is 18). My Sims' lives are set to 100 days so have to use the Long span in order to set it to my preferences. Babies are set to 3 days, toddlers 5, children 7 or 8 and teens 10. Then YA/A are roughly 50 days between them with the rest going to elders. I tried setting things up in a way that made reasonable sense to real life human aging but it didn't quite work so I've changed settings as I go along to better suit my play style.

I prefer to play with aging on because at the point my Sims age and die I am ready to move on with a new generation and new experiences. I don't play each Sim to do everything a Sim can do. Instead, I specialize. One Sim may be big on making nectar, another might be into fishing and/or gardening, another a writer, etc. Even though I play my game as far from reality as possible in that bad things rarely happen, that is something I do like to be realistic and in the real world, no one person can do everything.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    I prefer to play with aging on because at the point my Sims age and die I am ready to move on with a new generation and new experiences. I don't play each Sim to do everything a Sim can do. Instead, I specialize. One Sim may be big on making nectar, another might be into fishing and/or gardening, another a writer, etc. Even though I play my game as far from reality as possible in that bad things rarely happen, that is something I do like to be realistic and in the real world, no one person can do everything.
    I'm right there with you on this.

However I have Relativity set to 25 which means that things that normally take 1 sim hour take .68 hours or roughly 40 sim minutes.

I have my life span set to 90 days and each cycle determined by how much I like to play that cycle and if my sims can get done what I want them to do during that time. I also have it set up so their birthdays occur on the same day of the week, except for toddler and elder.

baby 2 days
    toddler 5 days
    child 7 days
    teen 14 days
    YA 28 days
    adult 27 days
    elder 7 days

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I play with aging off. I like to take my time to play each stage, so a toddler stage usually lasts about six months in real time or longer. Babies not as long, maybe a month. It varies depending on the needs of my town. I play along with the real time seasons, come next fall I will have a LOT of teens to age up and send off to University. I like to keep a consistent number of sims for each age group, and I tend to age up close friends about the same time.
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    If I'm just playing with adults, aging is off.
    If I'm playing with children/teens and all that, I'll either have aging off and age them up with the birthday cake when ever I choose, or turn aging back on and let them age until a few days before their birthday. At that point I'll decide how much longer I want to play with them in that life state
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I play with aging off. I like to take my time to play each stage, so a toddler stage usually lasts about six months in real time or longer. Babies not as long, maybe a month. It varies depending on the needs of my town. I play along with the real time seasons, come next fall I will have a LOT of teens to age up and send off to University. I like to keep a consistent number of sims for each age group, and I tend to age up close friends about the same time.
    Do you play only one active household or do you rotate through the whole town? Did/do you play sims 2? I was wondering because it seems that those players used to sims 2 play style favor aging off and playing the whole town. Or course you know what they say about assuming. :)

My sister is a case in point. She never played sims 2 for more than a week or so before getting sims 3 and sticking with that and although she plays one active household she does like to use MasterController to monitor the whole town and adjust ages and genders for sims to keep the population balanced.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Do you play only one active household or do you rotate through the whole town? Did/do you play sims 2? I was wondering because it seems that those players used to sims 2 play style favor aging off and playing the whole town. Or course you know what they say about assuming. :)

My sister is a case in point. She never played sims 2 for more than a week or so before getting sims 3 and sticking with that and although she plays one active household she does like to use MasterController to monitor the whole town and adjust ages and genders for sims to keep the population balanced.

I play a whole town, currently. Lots of sims to cycle through. This is the first save I have played so many families, it can take a while to get through all of them. I have tried all the aging lengths in the past and other than aging off entirely, the only one which works for me is epic because there is just so much to do with each sim. Unless it is a specific challenge, then it is whatever the rules are. I did and do play sims 2, but I only play one family in my current save there. The one before this, I also played the entire town in 2. But for most of 3 I have stuck to playing one or two families in a town, I just like to keep them around a long time. :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »

However I have Relativity set to 25 which means that things that normally take 1 sim hour take .68 hours or roughly 40 sim minutes.

I have my life span set to 90 days and each cycle determined by how much I like to play that cycle and if my sims can get done what I want them to do during that time. I also have it set up so their birthdays occur on the same day of the week, except for toddler and elder.

baby 2 days
    toddler 5 days
    child 7 days
    teen 14 days
    YA 28 days
    adult 27 days
    elder 7 days

That is very close to how I do it. I have relativity set to 28, which is 75% normal speed. I also set the age stages to how long I can enjoy playing them. My stages are:

baby 2 days
    toddler 5 days
    child 12 days
    teen 12 days
    YA 42 days
    adult 35 days
    elder 12 days

@LexCee86 I don't normally play with pets, since I don't like that they're so high maintenance, so I have left their lifespan at normal.

Sometimes I play until my sims die of old age, but the last time I came close to my sim dying, her husband died, but then she lived on and on, past her lifespan. After having played her as part of a couple for so long, her life was feeling very lonely, and it was hard to find enough to keep her life interesting, so I decided to consider her game finished. I plan on doing that again. I see no reason to continue to play any particular household past the time when I'm still finding them interesting enough to enjoy playing them.

I don't play generationally. If I like any of the second generation enough to want to play them, I'll move them out into a separate save, move them to another town in a separate save, or save them to the library to place in a new town.
  • Options
    donnabaileydonnabailey Posts: 683 Member
    I never play with aging off, and I don't play rotationally. I stick with one family throughout an entire save game. I have my age stages set to

baby 3 days
    toddler 5 days
    child 10 days
    teen 14 days
    YA 30 days
    Adult 45 days
    Elders 15 days

I use Relativity too, set on 18. That really helps me feel like their lifespans are plenty long enough. I almost always play legacies and my sims have their kids as YAs usually, so normally by the time a generation turns to elder, the kids are YAs at least. Then I either leave the elders in the family home and buy the next generation a nice new house, or vice versa. It depends on whether I'm tired of playing in a particular house yet. Whichever way I go, I keep playing the younger generation and leave the elders to enjoy their twilight years. Then I play through the generations until I get sick of the sight of the whole bunch of them and start over in a new town.
    Appaloosa Plains Townie Makeover Project!

The Claw Machine Diaries Challenge

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I play on the normal default (90 days?). I love my simmies and while I hate to see them grow old and die, I can never wait to see what the next generation will get up to either. I'm just not a talented enough simmer to play more than 8 sims at once so my only real option is to let them age and eventually die. :(
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I play on the normal default (90 days?). I love my simmies and while I hate to see them grow old and die, I can never wait to see what the next generation will get up to either. I'm just not a talented enough simmer to play more than 8 sims at once so my only real option is to let them age and eventually die. :(

Playing with more than 8 Sims is takes patience beyond what I have. My optimum is up to five. Beyond that I start feeling overwhelmed and have a hard time making myself slow down to the pace I need to in order to play that many. Bear in mind that most of my Sims are self-employed so they are home or running about on various errands during their whole work day which is usually until 5 or 6 p.m. then I'm inclined to turn them loose and let them do whatever they want, even if it is spending the rest of the evening brushing the dog or arguing with Charles the Chicken. Sometimes, though, they surprise me and clean house instead of goofing off.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    @BSIRegina Yeah, I'll agree there. Too many on the screen at once and it just isn't fun for me anymore. It goes from fun to anxiety. :P
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I play rotationally and have to use 30 day pregnancies to switch families when one is pregnant.
    I gave babies 60 days which is a sim year.
    Mine are like this:
    babies-about a simyear
    toddlers-2 years=up to three years old
    children-6 years=up to nine years.
    teens 3 years= up to twelve years.
    young adults -6+ years=up to 24 years old.(might go up to 32 in modern times)
    adults -start at 18 years old and can get as old as 42.(might last until 65 in modern times)
    elders- 36+ years old and can live up to about 100 years or more in good times.(they can die at 50 years in hard times)
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I play rotationally and have to use 30 day pregnancies to switch families when one is pregnant.
    I gave babies 60 days which is a sim year.
    Mine are like this:
    babies-about a simyear
    toddlers-2 years=up to three years old
    children-6 years=up to nine years.
    teens 3 years= up to twelve years.
    young adults -6+ years=up to 24 years old.(might go up to 32 in modern times)
    adults -start at 18 years old and can get as old as 42.(might last until 65 in modern times)
    elders- 36+ years old and can live up to about 100 years or more in good times.(they can die at 50 years in hard times)

I love your age spans. I don't get quite as carried away but then again I know you're playing your game to be set in an earlier era so I love that your "young adult" age for that is about twelve years old, although I think I'd be more inclined to make it fourteen since that's how old my grandmother was when she got married and not many young women married earlier than that unless they were royalty with arranged marriages.

I do, however, consider true adulthood in this modern age we're in to start around twenty-five to thirty years old because twenty-five is the age the brain finishes developing but I didn't really feel adult-like until I was around thirty and that was probably due to my mom passing away just before that--there's nothing like losing a parent to make you realize you have to grow up like right now. I have my YA stage set longer than that just because young adults in this game tend to conceive more easily than adults. Then my "adult" age is more in line with the thirty-five to fifty real age in my mind, again based on what fertility rates generally are. Of course once I figured out what ideal age lengths would be based on real-life things I realized I needed to tweak it to suit how I wanted to play my Sims and in the end it's not very realistic at all. Haha.
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    @BSIRegina Yeah, I'll agree there. Too many on the screen at once and it just isn't fun for me anymore. It goes from fun to anxiety. :P

At least I get more building done during those times! My current Sim family is in the midst of moving in and out a bunch of NPCs (it's the Nothing is Free Challenge so I'm processing some Sims out into the town). For a long while it was just four Sims, the patriarch and his wife and the two in-house Sims working on skilling to earn their respective lots. Then before those two were done I had the married couple have a baby and then decided they needed more than one kid so the first baby toddlerized and Mom was reading him a story when she started having the second baby. That put us up to six then the lots got earned so it's time to move them out, only one of them was friends with this NPC so I decided to have him ask her to move in then realized they'd be perfect for each other so did a quick MC marriage and moved them out on their own then realized I forgot to have him move in another of his friends! Ah well, if I really want I can go play him long enough to get said friend to move in with them then go back to the main family. On the plus side, I discovered that the second Sim I moved in this evening has a romantic interest that I want to get out of the way so at least he can snag her before I send him on his merry way. At any rate, I got the two of them moved out then another Sim moved in and another. I needed more houses for them anyway so I took a long while building instead of playing them.
  • Options
    aussieduckyaussieducky Posts: 28 Member
    I play with my age on default, except for the YA stage, which I currently have set with one extra day. The only issue I have with my system is that the sims feel like they age very quickly because the days are so short!! Sometimes it feels like sims spend /hours/ doing something that IRL would only take a few minutes. But I've just installed the nrass Relativity mod, so hopefully that'll help :)
  • Options
    EiszimmerEiszimmer Posts: 969 Member
    Mine is something like 1,460 days. I like to have my Sims around for a long time, as I get rather attached to them.
  • Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Well, now that I'm playing a family that I positively love - I set it past normal to long (I think that's what it's called). And my Elders still got so old I had to turn aging off to keep them alive. I started my game with Elders to build a dynasty/legacy (not based on the popular forum definition), and I love the family so much I won't stop playing them. I wish there was a way to make elders established in their careers and skills in CAS, but I've enjoyed playing them and making them successful in careers and skills at home and now I don't want them to die even though they have to if I am to continue my legacy. So once I'm done with them, I will upload them to the exchange fully fleshed out so that I can play them again from the beginning. ;) They are on my TS3 page now at various skill levels - a husband and wife, the husband's sister, their son and an in-game anomaly - the husband's alien daughter after he was abducted and had an "unexpected weight gain". They are called the Thompson family.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***