Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are peoples thoughts on "stealing" In the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    I think that, unless you make a TON of changes or the original creator is okay with it, it shouldn't be allowed. By a TON of changes I mean: if someone created a house and you basically took it down to its shell then rebuilt it. Even then I think the original creator should get some sort of credit for their hard work in the original.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,448 Member
    I think the sudden increase of "stealing" is mainly a bug. If you have downloaded a lot from the gallery, you dont get rid of the original signature even if you completely bulldoze the lot. This has happened twice to me.

In my early days in the game, I would download houses I liked to see how they were built. There is one in my gallery still, that I did this with. I bulldozed the lot and rebuilt. It is not an exact copy. I actually did the work. But the original builder's info is there. It looks like I "stole" it, but I didn't. I learned the lesson to start a whole new build, but I didn't steal anything. It's not, as far as I know, possible to strip out the original builder's info.

This is indeed a problem because there is such a small number of free lots in Sims 4 and in my game everything is filled with gallery downloads. If you want to upload a lot with only your signature you have to start a new game which I find annoying.

But in general this whole question doesnt bother me much. If people want to re-upload new versions of my buildings, they can feel free to do it.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    While uploading a item to the gallery does allow others to use and edit the item as they wish and put them to use in their own private game I don't think it does nor should give them the right to claim that item, even after being "edited" as their own. While it's not a huge issue it would fall under the heading of copy-writed material in my opinion. If I paint something and then create copies for the public to use for decor purposes and then someone chooses to repaint a red flower blue and then claim it as their own work of art no one would say that was okay and it's really not okay here, although it's a much more minor issue.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I don't think it's possible to remove the original builder's info. I seem to recall that option was removed in a patch earlier in the year.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Stealing from the gallery or not giving credit where it's due isn't right. It's not that big of a deal to me though. With that said, if I make anything that I want to remain mine, I just don't put it on the gallery to share. It's stays mine. Anything I put on the gallery I well know that other people might put their name on it instead. I do wish this is something that would be fixed though because it's not right that some people slap their names on things they really didn't create.
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    stealing is wrong. i hope you all think about that for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Ethically, yes, it's wrong. But once you upload something to the gallery, EA owns your soul it.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    While I don't condone stealing, you upload at your own risk, no point getting upset about it, it could've been prevented if you had chose not to take the risk of uploading.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2015
    This is the reason I don't release my mods into the wild any more. It took one person using my readme to try and one-up my mod rather than doing his own QA and basically stealing hundreds of hours of work which made me decide it's just not worth it.

However, I will admit to using the exchange as cloud storage. Since my original stuff is all pretty not-great, I don't think many people look at my page.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I'm sure someone has already pointed this out but nothing in the Gallery belongs to anyone. It's all property of EA.

As a self employed artist and craftswoman I can say that someone taking credit for your brainchild is frustrating......but then again....it's EA's property.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Ive had people take my creations and tweak them and honestly I don't care because it technically belongs to Maxis. Now stealing CC is different because the person CREATED the content. Using a tool that someone else made to just put parts together doesn't mean that you own the content. This coming from me, a person who for years has created sims that took hours for competitions and such. So, meh stuff on the gallery in my opinion is fair game. Although I do think people just just credit the original creator to be nice....
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member
    I think stealing is horrible.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    we are using the platform made by The Sims to create builds and sims. They're not ours.
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    I'm totally against stealing someone else's creation, obvs.

But, last I checked, the gallery forces the "original creator" tag on there. Recently, I placed a lot from the gallery to look at it, bulldozed it, and then began my own build from scratch that took hours and when I saved it credited the person who's lot I placed before building it. :/ No way to edit it out or even change the description.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    I am horrible at starting from the ground up. I download from the gallery but always credit the original creator and I mean no mallice when I save it to my gallery (I dont publish it usually). I'm not looking for downloads or anything. 98% of the time though by the time I'm done with someone else's work nothing is the same anymore but I always still credit the original no matter what.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    I think this is a tricky one because there are a lot of people that are playing the game and it doesn't have the ability to customize that much - no Cast, no terrain tools, no build cheats - so it's not out of the realm of possibility that multiple people would create the exact same sim or lot. It's much more likely to happen in this version than in previous versions of the game, but in fairness, it happened all the time with previous versions too. It even happens with mods, anyone removing the censor blur is going to touch the exact same pieces of code to do it, so chances are that someone else probably wrote it in the same way you did it. That's why the default answer will always be "EA owns everything and we're all here to share our toys"

But I agree with you about blatantly uploading something that was shared by someone else. It might be okay with EA, but it doesn't give a person many popularity points and is infuriating when you've invested time.

• Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    When I upload something, I figure it belongs to everyone else. I don't expect to be credited for anything anyone might do with it.

I do this stuff for fun, and share something if I think it's cool enough to warrant it. If it was a job or something I might care more, but it's not, so I don't.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Mightydan wrote: »
    You're basically giving permission to everyone to use your creations as they please once you upload them to the gallery. Any simmer is free to download your creation and place it in their game, edit it, feed your sims to the cowplant, paint your house pink, etc.
    Once uploaded to the gallery, our creations stop being ours and belong to EA.

Sure, everybody would like to be recognised and credited for their own creations. However, you must remember that this isn't a popularity contest. Don't make a big deal about it. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with your creations and are able to enjoy playing with them. Besides, I bet that most of these "thieves" are just kids reuploading stuff they like to the gallery. I doubt they're doing this with ill intent.

I totally agree with you! I think the majority of the re-uploads aren't done to take credit or 'steal', a lot of people use the gallery as a back-up for their sims & lots and don't even think about it.

But there are 2 options one can be uploaded to gallery for everyone to download and the other for personal use (?).

Yea, but if you need to reinstall the items in your gallery will still be there but the items in your library won't. At least, that's how I assumed it works...I really don't know LOL!
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    I'm sure someone has already pointed this out but nothing in the Gallery belongs to anyone. It's all property of EA.

As a self employed artist and craftswoman I can say that someone taking credit for your brainchild is frustrating......but then again....it's EA's property.

Then shouldn't you see how its stealing? if your an artist yourself. I sell artwork on occasion and just because a company made the canvas, paint and brushes I use it doesn't mean they own my creation, that's how I see it anyway.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    i just want to steal hearts... and sell them on the black market.

tumblr_naba8mt_Kdo1rb9a6wo1_400.jpg

awww, so sweeeet!!!

• Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    IMO, I think re-uploads should not be allowed. I'm sure people will disagree, but if I buy a copy of the Mona Lisa and give her a mustache it doesn't make me Leonardo da Vinci.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited September 2015

We are talking about a game. If you upload a Sim or whatever else to the gallery you don't own it... I don't think its stealing :)

If it really bothers you guys then don't upload anything to the gallery. I really think people should give credit to the original creator just to be nice though ;)
    He/Him
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    edited September 2015
    MikeAM91 wrote: »
    Krish_ wrote: »
    nevermind

Many images posted online are copyrighted. You can't use someone else's work and claim it as your own, that is theft.

We are talking about a game. If you upload a Sim or whatever else to the gallery you don't own it... I don't think its stealing :)

If it really bothers you guys then don't upload anything to the gallery. I really think people should give credit to the original creator just to be nice though ;)

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Krish_ wrote: »
    nevermind

Many images posted online are copyrighted. You can't use someone else's work and claim it as your own, that is theft.

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

He/Him
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top