Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upgrading from TS3 to TS4?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    Nobody can really give you a sure answer on this - some people here like Sims 4, others prefer 2 or 3. Here are some considerations:
    - Can you live with loading screens instead of open world?
    - If you need story progression (Sims getting married, moving, having kids etc. when you aren't playing them), are you okay with needing a mod for that?
    - Can you live without toddlers?

I recommend checking out some YouTube live plays, and purchasing through Origin, which gives you a 24-hour return window on the base game.

I've been really happy with the expansion and game pack we've got so far. You can see the pros and cons of those in "Should I get this?" topics in their respective forum categories.

I think that's a fair assessment, but i woukd add to that how there is a problem with the way TS4 regulates population at the moment often resulting into sims or ghosts vanishing that you didn't want to vanish as long as they are not part of your active/played households.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    In a technical sense, the Sims 4 is a vast improvement over the Sims 3. A lot of people went on endlessly about the lack of create a style & open world, but, the elimination of those two things have helped the Sims 4 avoid a lot of the lag and bugginess the Sims 3 suffered from. I can't even begin to count how many Error Code 13s, crash to desktops, freezing, infinite loading/saving loops, etc etc I would have each month while playing an unmodded Sims 3 on various computers. The only problem I have with TS4 in about 10 months of playing stuffed full of mods is that it eats up so much memory! :open_mouth: As for gameplay, I like the Sims 4 better because it's more detail-oriented & suitable for micro managers like myself.

The other way of dealing with the problems those things supposedly caused would have been just fixing this and programming it better this time around instead of cutting it out, which they haven't done for perfonance but because it was easier and cheaper. Just saying.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    It's really going to depend on what you like and how you like to play.

There is no real neighborhood editing other than bulldozing a pre-set lot. They can't be changed and you're stuck with what the game gives you.

The play is very scripted and linear. If you like sandbox play you probably won't like 4. If you don't mind tasks and goals for about everything you might like it.

There are quite a few bugs that may require mods to get your game to play as it should. One problem is the culling of Sims. Your family trees will have blank spaces and you can't keep ghosts in a cemetery with out a mod.

There are quite a few interactions and a lot of content that is missing from previous Sims games.

If toddlers are important to you so far there is no assurance that they will ever be added.

The Sims themselves spend a lot of time talking to each other and talking selfies with their cameras.

The babies are not really what I would call a life form. They are attached to their bassinet and can actually be put in the Sim's inventory as an object.

I could add more but I'm sure others will.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ericbatchelderericbatchelder Posts: 734 Member
    I still plat 3 a little more than 4, but I think it's worth it. I haven't found anything I don't like about 4 yet. There are things that 3 had that 4 doesn't, but I don't mind, so long as 4 ends up with different stuff down the line. I don't want them to be the same. Otherwise, it will be a ton of money for another 3.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,741 Member
    OP, I suggest you just watch Let's Plays of the game and judge it for yourself. It's not really wise to come to the forums cuz the people here are quite opinionated and everyone has different types of play-style. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: The Blackest of Birds by Fightstar
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    Hello!

Sims 4 is totally different from the 3. Just like everyone has said, no open world, no story progression, no toddlers, no cars, no cops (except if you have GTW). No burglars, no firefighters, no gardener...

Still, the graphics are much betters and the game is more fluid. No lags and open really fast. The loading screen are not very long, but still I think they break the rhythm.

I bought the game for 30$ and I don't regret having paid this price, but I would never have bought them without this deal. At first I even pre-ordered the game one year before it's releasing, but when I found out that there weren't toddlers and pools (they added it later), I canceled my order.

For now, I play it, but get bored easily. It's like I have lost my affinity with the game. There are not a lot of careers and I am waiting for a deal to buy get to work.

I read that there was a deal on the sims 4 and GTW, the 3rd July on Origin (50%), but never saw it. Still, someone said that it was probably only for some regions, but that it will one day or another appear somewhere else. I'm in Canada and I am waiting for this deal.

My only big recommendation is to wait for a deal and not buy it full price.
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    As I saw, only if you install nraas Story Progresion you have a SP
  • Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    edited July 2015
    [quote="leo3487"]As I saw, only if you install nraas Story Progresion you have a SP[/quote]

Not sure what this mod does, I never downloaded it, but maybe the definition of story progression is different for me? I mean, in the sims 3, my neighbors sims got married, had kids, got jobs and died of old age... And their kids also grew up, got married, had kids, jobs... Etc etc. I could have a kid and kick it out of the house. It would find its home house and then do it's own life without me. That's what I liked.

In the sims 4, they just get old and die...
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    The free trail is your friend.

Some people like it, others don't. I don't like it and tend to play TS3 and TS2 instead of TS4--heck, I'm thinking of firing up the PS2 and having another go at Urbz! :D

A quick word of advice, though: When playing the trial, apparently the timer keeps running even when you're not playing. Give yourself a large block of time when you can have an extended and uninterrupted play sessions so you can get a true feel of whether or not you like it.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Darkling wrote: »
    The free trail is your friend.

Some people like it, others don't. I don't like it and tend to play TS3 and TS2 instead of TS4--heck, I'm thinking of firing up the PS2 and having another go at Urbz! :D

A quick word of advice, though: When playing the trial, apparently the timer keeps running even when you're not playing. Give yourself a large block of time when you can have an extended and uninterrupted play sessions so you can get a true feel of whether or not you like it.

I agree and I'd like to add this.....when I first installed TS4 I liked it more than I do now. As I played I found more and more things that bothered me and I realized how much was missing.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601, I agree with your observation, as well. The TS4 is a prime example that familiarity can breed contempt.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    OP there is no upgrading thing here. The two games are different.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Megurun wrote: »
    I think it's finally time for me to update to The Sims 4, but is it worth it? I can only get the base game at the moment, but I really want to get it and I think TS3 is getting a bit laggy for my taste. What do you guys think?

Also, what are the expansions like? Are they worth it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

If you're unsure, buy the base game through Origin and take advantage of the 24 hour "great games guarantee." Return within 24 for a full refund if you don't like it.

Do NOT buy any expansion or stuff packs at the same time. They don't have the "great games guarantee." It can be a real hassle to try to get your money back for these if you decide you do not like the base game.
  • Options
    MegurunMegurun Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am aware that it technically isn't an 'upgrade', I just didn't know how else to put it. lol

I decided to get it in the end, though I didn't get it directly from Origin because I managed to get it somewhere else for a waaaaay better price. I should be able to play it tomorrow! Thanks again for the help.
    dwpee.png
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Megurun wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am aware that it technically isn't an 'upgrade', I just didn't know how else to put it. lol

I decided to get it in the end, though I didn't get it directly from Origin because I managed to get it somewhere else for a waaaaay better price. I should be able to play it tomorrow! Thanks again for the help.

Good to hear, definitely post back and tell us how you like it! Personally, I like it, keeping in mind that of course it doesn't have as much content as Sims 3 yet. There are some things that I miss, but there are some things that I love as well. I hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    AvatarOfShibbyAvatarOfShibby Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm interested to hear what @Megurun thinks no that he has bought it. Personally I feel like TS4 is pretty close to the TS3 original release. TS3 was really boring when it first released, but the expansion packs fleshed it out really well (NL & WA). I don't miss the open world either, it created more headaches with lag over long games and the loading screens now are not dreadfully long. I don't miss toddlers at all (personal preference I know). I also really like the way they've been handling the DLC, I thought the store for TS3 nickel and dimed me, and often was glitchy. The only thing that really bothers me is it takes forever to eat or drink anything. Give it the next two expansions and we'll have a good quality Sims game.