Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 - Game, stuff, AND expansion packs, better or worse sales model?

So I noticed Sims 1 just introduced the whole expansion pack thing.
Then Sims 2 came out with Stuff packs and Expansion packs.
With the whole digital download thing, Sims 3 opened up a whole new DLC micro-transaction fadoodle including worlds and themed collections.

With the Sims 4 - they have kept going with the stuff packs and expansion packs like Sims 2, only my husband thinks they are milking this franchise too thin with the Game Packs.

Do you agree?

But I kind of feel like EA still isn't quitting with the whole money-grab thing because packs come out every 3 months or so.
And I still have a ton of bugs. I feel like modders keep this community alive.

I, for one, am happy without the Sims 3 content store, but have still not touched Sims 4 since Outdoor Retreat.
dsxTOuZ.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 2 also had a store...
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    EA will milk TS4 for all they can get, in any way they can, until low sales puts an end to this. Personally, TS4 doesn't bring enough to the table to entice me to buy.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    The_SimScraperThe_SimScraper Posts: 2,083 Member
    I don't mind I'll buy them all anyway... I have a collecting problem, I buy one, I buy them all.
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    I believe they are milking the Sims 4 just like they milked Sims 3. Why does Sims 4 need EPs, GPs, AND SPs? I liked the idea of Game Packs because they added some game play along with stuff, so to me having all 3 is just them trying to nickel and dime people.
  • Options
    RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    If EA did a poo on a plate and put the sims name to it, I would still buy it lol

I'm a sims addict always have been and always will be :#

• Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    They're a business selling a product. Of course they're going to milk it.

I loved the store in TS3. I don't like to think how much of it I own. I'm still buying from it. However it was a nightmare to manage. I have a ton of duplicates.

I think the concept of the game packs (very similar to world releases in TS3), stuff packs, and expansion packs without the microtransaction makes much more sense from a long term management standpoint.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited May 2015
    If I want the stuff that's being sold and feel it's worth the money in gameplay for me, I'm not being "milked". It's not like anyone is forced to buy the added content.

I like the new model with a level between SP and EP. I hope to see lots of GPs released, personally - I like gameplay with my "stuff," but often with an EP I want only half or less of what it does. Smaller units of gameplay+stuff could give me more of what I want without me having to buy gameplay/stuff I don't want as well, just to get it.

I might miss the store, but TBH my main problem with the store was that I couldn't pay directly for the things in it, I had to spend extra money on batches of points.
    Post edited by luthienrising on
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I like the idea of GPs -- they're good for themes that might not fit a full EP. Since there's not as much programming as a full EP, they don't take as long so theoretically you could have a couple of GPs between each EP release and thus keep the game fresher more often. And for those who might not like a GP or EP theme, they don't have to wait as long to get new game play content -- for those people who chose not to get GTW they're not going to have to wait 6 months or whatever for another full GP to add things to their game.

In Sims 3, a lot of people complained that Generations wasn't really a "true" EP -- no new world, all it added was a bunch of interactions and some other stuff. If we'd had GPs then and Generations had instead been a GP, maybe there would have been less complaining.

I actually think the Store was a bigger cash cow for the Sims 3 than GPs are for Sims 4 -- but also a lot more work because they had to produce content more frequently to keep the store fresh. And while a lot of the content was great (especially the later content -- the Carousel might be my favorite item from any Sims game), some of it did fall short; the Bistro set was an attempt to have open restaurants, but kids couldn't order from the menus (it worked well in my University dorms though -- once I added the Bistro oven and hired a professional chef, no more random fires B) ).

I think GPs (and other DLC like the free holiday set or the extra content included in patches) are replacing the Store, in terms of labor and budgeting -- and that's fine with me.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh they definitely are milking this. starting with sims 3 is when I felt like they started going for quantity over quality. I'd be happy if they only gave us eps and got rid of the gps and sps. That way they're not spread so thin and the eps would be of better quality.
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    Oh they definitely are milking this. starting with sims 3 is when I felt like they started going for quantity over quality. I'd be happy if they only gave us eps and got rid of the gps and sps. That way they're not spread so thin and the eps would be of better quality.

Agree, although Sims 2 had Stuff Packs too, but the EPs released for Sims 2 had a lot more content than Sims 3's so Sims 2 can be forgiven fro having Stuff Packs. Although I do think some of the Sims 3 EPs had good content.
  • Options
    KattycakeKattycake Posts: 274 Member

@Colton147147 I thought they only had an exchange? :O
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    KattycakeKattycake Posts: 274 Member
    dmel25 wrote: »
    jaxie086 wrote: »

Agree, although Sims 2 had Stuff Packs too, but the EPs released for Sims 2 had a lot more content than Sims 3's so Sims 2 can be forgiven fro having Stuff Packs. Although I do think some of the Sims 3 EPs had good content.

Double agree, for both of you :open_mouth:@dmel25 @jaxie086
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't care for game packs and stuff packs honestly but it gives something that people who don't like CC something to buy. As long as the quality of expansion packs are kept up which are kind of weak so far.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I like it better than the DLC approach with S3. I didn't like the point system. I still have points which I feel is money I spent, but can't spend. I hate that concept.

I like the GP idea. I really like OR and go there often. I hope to see more GPs. I've always liked SPs. I don't have to buy them if I don't want to, but I like to buy them. I like adding things to my games.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think the current model is better than the TS3 days, however IMHO, TS4 is definitely not anywhere good enough for me to go out buying the billion upcoming packs for it. The base game wasn't good enough, and the packs (so far) are lame.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I never liked stuff packs. The only ones I really liked were Ikea and H&M and that was because they offered decent looking stuff. Otherwise, they are pointless because they don't add any gameplay value. I do like the idea of gamepacks, though. I think if they are going to do stuff packs, they should make it like the TS3 store content where there were at least a few premium items in them.
  • Options
    Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    edited May 2015
    I prefer the Sims 4's way with the stuff packs, expansion packs, game packs and no store. I hated the Sims 3 store it had better worlds and content than what actually came in the EPs and I could never afford any of it lol. I'm determined to get every peice of content this time around regardless!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,534 Member
    I prefer gamepacks over stuff packs but I'm going to buy everything EA puts out.
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    edited May 2015
    It's only worse when there's no real value added to the game
  • Options
    AlourraAlourra Posts: 492 Member
    I am pretty disappointed with the idea of regular stuff packs. I thought Game Packs were more reasonably priced and I don't want to see Expansions get gimped on items because they wanted to put it in a Stuff Pack and charge extra. I do not like the idea of a store/stuff packs at all.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Kattycake wrote: »

@Colton147147 I thought they only had an exchange? :O
    Sims 2 did have a store that was in beta.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I only get milked when I want to be. For Sims 3 I didn't mind (and still don't, glad the Store is still open) but Sims 4 closed my wallet.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I mean if they're adding things we've never experienced and adding more than we've ever gotten... in the long run, I see no problem.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    FoxcrestFoxcrest Posts: 348 Member
    edited May 2015
    Stuff Packs - Terrible, why pay for something the community does much better and offers for free? And most of the time the clothes/objects are ugly, hideous and tacky. Sorry, I don't support sub-par lazy work.

Game Packs - Needs vast improvement if they want any more money.
    THIS
    2w1wi9v.jpg
    Is unacceptable! What year are we in where we are seeing this type of graphics?! Lazy lazy lazy is all I have to say. If the same amount of laziness is going into the other GP's well...

Expansion Packs - Compared to EP's of the past, GTW was very weak. Most likely because they're stretched so thin trying to make SP's and GP's to milk the cow for all it's worth.

All I'm seeing is a decline in quality work with all these packs. Development shortcuts all over the place