Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GAME CRASHES AT PLUMBOB LOADING SCREEN - LOOK HERE FOR POSSIBLE FIXES

Rav567Rav567 Posts: 53 New Member
edited September 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
So, i waited and hour and a half on live chat to get the answer - YOU CANNOT USE THE GALLERY RIGHT NOW.

My game wouldn't respond at the loading screen with the plumbob. I turned origin into offline mode and it worked. I turned it back on and the game crashed.

I can't post links but the woman told me that it'll lag and all that because of how many people are installing the game. So really, we now just have to wait.
Post edited by Rav567 on

Comments

• Options
    UPDATE: i deleted all files in my tray folder (kept a backup file of course) and now i can access the gallery.
  • Options
    BlindxSecretsBlindxSecrets Posts: 652 Member
    I have the exact same problem....game stops responding after the plumbob shows up. I tried several different things to get it to work and was about to give up when I saw your post. Tried putting Origin in offline mode and the game loaded right up. Put it back online and it crashed instantly.

I'll try deleting my Tray folder and see if that helps me connect again.
    The Noble Legacy (A Prettacy)
    Origin ID: BlindxSecrets
  • Options
    RellyJackRellyJack Posts: 136 Member
    I'm having the same problem... but I want the stuff in my tray folder --- I'll definitely back it up first...
  • Options
    NaitaipaiNaitaipai Posts: 10 New Member
    Same problem. Runs in offline mode fine. In online mode freezes for about a full minute on the first plumbob load screen. No movement except for the mouse. Then it successfully loads.

PC has plenty of cpu, gpu, ram, storage.
  • Options
    @Naitaipai You're lucky! I can't get mine to load in Online mode at all (haven't tried the tray thing yet, want to play some first after all that effort, lol)

It's probably like the OP said, too much traffic right now.
  • Options
    My
    Naitaipai wrote: »
    Same problem. Runs in offline mode fine. In online mode freezes for about a full minute on the first plumbob load screen. No movement except for the mouse. Then it successfully loads.<br />
    <br />
    PC has plenty of cpu, gpu, ram, storage.

My computer is the junk too... I saved my tray to my desktop, now I can play in online mode again. I hope they're able to fix this soon, because I was working on sims. However, I will slowly move files back to my tray folder and see what happens.
  • Options
    @RellyJack let us know if it works after you begin to slowly load Sims and whatnot back into the tray. I'd be interested to know. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @BlindxSecrets and any one else who wants to keep their sims ... I think I'm on to something...I think our tray folders are creating unnecessary files causing our games to freeze. I'm not sure why this happens but I stated checking the date and time of the files in my tray. I noticed that each sim family should have the following files:

1 Tray Item, 1 HouseHold Binary, 2 SGI, 2 HHI = 6 files/per saved family
    edit***there can be more SGIs it depends on how many people are in the house hold. (not a big deal if you delete them you can always just resave the house hold with new pictures)

And they should have all saved at least within a minute of each other if not the same minute.

So, I found a group of 6 files that all saved the same minute (this time can vary by about a few minutes, if the time changed while you were saving the family.) and put them into my gameplay tray.

Thankfully the sims I created showed up my library when I opened the gallery. I did this while the game (in online mode) was running but the gallery was closed.

Of course, I backed up up my original tray before experimenting with this. I will keep adding sim families back in. Hopefully, there will be no more problems.
    Post edited by RellyJack on
  • Options
    After doing some experimenting... I think our games are freezing because our tray folders are too big. I've noticed that SGI files seem to stay in the folder if I overwrite or even delete a house hold.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think SGI files may be the problem.
    *** I deleted all of them but nothing changed...it's got to be a combination of different things***
  • Options
    ChainzzChainzz Posts: 207 Member
    I started playing my game today the first few hours it was perfect. Then I saved a few Sims, downloaded a house and the freezing started.
  • Options
    AngelAmyRFAngelAmyRF Posts: 58 Member
    My game freezes at the plumbob loading screen and I have to force close it every time. It worked fine yesterday but today it will not load.
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    I noted that is I give it that "you best get on with it look" that we mothers tend to have, the game loads in about 4 minutes. No problems until today. I do think it is the heavy online load atm.
  • Options
    Ein_VeilchenEin_Veilchen Posts: 19 New Member
    I have exactly the same problem!
    This morning everything worked fine. Then I saved all of my shared Sims (about 40 Sims) from my profile to my Bibliothek (sorry, I don´t know the english word used in the gallery), because I created them in the Demo and they were gone out of my Bibliothek after installing the game.

Later I shut the game and tried to restart, but I could´t connect again to the gallery. I only can play offline. With internet-connection the game freezes at the beginning. :(

So maybe it´s really the tray-folder? I´m afraid of deleting the files, because I don´t know, if it´s o.k. or if it´s necessary to leave some files inside.

Hope, there will be a solution soon! :(
  • Options
    Update: I found that if you just let the game continue to load...even if the screen lightens and the music stops...Eventually it will come on. I looked in my tray folder while the game was loading and if was creating tray files...Why? I don't know. My game worked perfectly the first day. Now I guess we need to be patient and hopefully they'll see the thread and fix the problem in a patch.
  • Options
    KimReikoKimReiko Posts: 35 Member
    edited September 2014
    Same issue here. Anyone have any fixes? This is so annoying!!!

I can confirm deleting the Tray folder allows for online play/gallery connectivity and for the game to load as it should.

Is EA limiting the number of sims we can create/store?

I was really supportive of EA and all the naysayers saying how this wasn't worth the 80 dollar pricetag... Now I am flippin' furious. The least EA could do is respond to our issues (deformed freakin' babies, crashing and this absolute BS) -- I mean what? Overloaded? It's flippin' EA games! I'd expect this from another, amateur publisher but come on.
    KIM_REIKO PSN | KIM_REIKO TWITCH | iKIMBERLY GALLERY

• Options
    ZombieF1ZombieF1 Posts: 8 New Member
    An overloaded server shouldn't cause the game to crash, that's insane.
  • Options
    katandmarikatandmari Posts: 438 Member
    Rav567 wrote: »
    UPDATE: i deleted all files in my tray folder (kept a backup file of course) and now i can access the gallery.

I am having the same issue, what is a tray folder?
  • Options
    lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    if you used any cc in create a sim demo you need to remove it. as it does not work with the full game.
  • Options
    katandmari wrote: »
    Rav567 wrote: »

I am having the same issue, what is a tray folder?

It's in the My Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 folder, it's where all the CC goes I think? *scratches head* But it's also where all the gallery stuff you download goes.
  • Options
    KimReikoKimReiko Posts: 35 Member
    > @BlindxSecrets said:
    > katandmari wrote: »
    >
    > Rav567 wrote: »
    >
    > UPDATE: i deleted all files in my tray folder (kept a backup file of course) and now i can access the gallery.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am having the same issue, what is a tray folder?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's in the My Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 folder, it's where all the CC goes I think? *scratches head* But it's also where all the gallery stuff you download goes.

Correct, it is where your gallery downloads go. (TRAY folder) except the CC goes into the "Mods" folder. Can confirm this error happens with and without CC.
    KIM_REIKO PSN | KIM_REIKO TWITCH | iKIMBERLY GALLERY

• Options
    PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    I can confirm that deleting the tray folder made this issue stop. =/
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    PeschkeGirlPeschkeGirl Posts: 88 Member
    I would certainly enjoy it if someone could come up with a different way to make this issue go away. The gallery is fun and addictive, and I would rather not have to miss out on it entirely, just so my game does not crash at start-up for about 5 minutes.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    I'm going to connect with another agent soon. I'll tell them this exact problem and we probably won't get an answer... but maybe we can see if they are *trying* to fix it.

I tried downloading more things from the gallery after deleting things from tray folder. Even added each household, started game, and it would still crash. So i am able to access the gallery.. only if i don't download anything... which is the point of the gallery.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    For some reason mine has magically started working again. I can download things from the gallery and the screen still goes unresponsive at the plumbob, but if i leave it for 2 minutes it jumps right back and goes to the main menu.

EDIT: WHAT IF PEOPLE ARE ADDING CUSTOM CONTENT TO SIMS AND LOTS THAT IS CAUSING THE GAME TO CRASH?